ADVERTISEMENT

IYO Who Would You Say Is the Best Active Coach In CBB?

So many factors to consider. Self is obviously the most accomplished but has tremendous built in advantages by being at Kansas. Hard to hold that against him tho.

I think it's hard not to put Drew and Few up there as well. Both have done a lot with some situations that didn't exactly have huge built in advantages when they arrived.

They are both great coaches but would prefer to see more sustained success from Drew and an actual title from Few (to think they are on the same level as Self). But yeah, they have certainly taken programs that were basically nothing and made them pretty great.

They are both great coaches but would prefer to see more sustained success from Drew and an actual title from Few (to think they are on the same level as Self). But yeah, they have certainly taken programs that were basically nothing and made them pretty great.
Fair, but on my next point, I hardly ever agree with Seth Davis, but I agree with him on this:

Seriously, taking Baylor to three elite eights (by the way, the two elite games he lost, that team won the natty), one final four and one natty, is seriously amazing- how many other coaches would stick around and actually work that hard to build Baylor up from nothing??

Reactions: cdbearde
Fair, but on my next point, I hardly ever agree with Seth Davis, but I agree with him on this:

Seriously, taking Baylor to three elite eights (by the way, the two elite games he lost, that team won the natty), one final four and one natty, is seriously amazing- how many other coaches would stick around and actually work that hard to build Baylor up from nothing??
Baylor was shit. Wasn't Baylor where teammates were murdering each other?

Yeah, it's pretty impressive.

Drew morphed from national punchline to top 5 coach in the game practically overnight. Stealing the “no middle” defense from Adams and Beard worked wonders for his career. Of course, at this point most of the Big 12 uses it.

You have to wonder how much of an impact Tang had at Baylor. K-State transformed from disaster to top 15 team overnight.

Reactions: KisteK and F-Duke
Drew morphed from national punchline to top 5 coach in the game practically overnight. Stealing the “no middle” defense from Adams and Beard worked wonders for his career. Of course, at this point most of the Big 12 uses it.

You have to wonder how much of an impact Tang had at Baylor. K-State transformed from disaster to top 15 team overnight.
Very interested to see how KSU looks next season without K. Johnson, who I think was preseason SEC POY before his health very scary issue two years ago.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
I think it's hard not to put Drew and Few up there as well. Both have done a lot with some situations that didn't exactly have huge built in advantages when they arrived.
I don't think that's as true for Few as it is for Drew. When Few took over Gonzaga they were coming off a trip to the Elite 8. When Drew took over Baylor in 2003 they were coming off a season where a player murdered a teammate. The program was almost cancelled entirely and Drew was left with 7 scholarship players. The first four years of Drew's tenure they won a total of 36 games.

Yea, I don't think it's right to put Few in the same sentence as Drew when it comes to brining a program back from the dead.

We're entering a new era of young(er) coaches taking the reigns.

Who's gonna step up? Be a little funny watching a HOF coach win it again.

It's be great to watch him make a comeback. He seems in good shape.

Let's say he has 5 years coaching.

He can go to a team next year and maybe bust some asses.

When in Rome...

Do you think any of your program's players have been paid?
Yep, and we had to vacate multiple seasons and fire the coach. Too bad Kansas doesn’t get held to the same standard

I'm more than happy to pay players if it gets me Kansas' Final Fours and titles.
I mean…the guy who Kansas was on tape saying they can’t afford literally ended up at Duke. So I don’t think you have to theoretically make that swap. Unless you believe that Zion preferred that family atmosphere over $100k+..

Nvmd, just read your handle correctly. But I keep my point. Those classes with 4+ top 10 players didn’t land at UK for free. Unless you believe that you’re truly recruiting a bunch of mostly underprivileged kids who would rather turn down $ elsewhere for a family atmosphere.

Last edited:
Yep, and we had to vacate multiple seasons and fire the coach. Too bad Kansas doesn’t get held to the same standard

Oh yeah? Which players and coach were these?

And do you think other players have rec'd impermissable benefits before or since?

You mean like Oral Roberts, Tulsa, and to a lesser degree Illinois?
I must've missed those schools winning a national championship and becoming consistently elite under Self.

Also missed those schools being as far in the dumps as Baylor was when Drew took over.

• Haha
Reactions: HawksJ
ADVERTISEMENT