ADVERTISEMENT

IYO, What Makes UK Fans So Obnoxious to Outside Fans?

Makes his fandom mean more.

Makes the universities cringe more.

lmao ^^^^PotD

All ur #1 stats were built off the back of a timeframe with no three point line and no black players. They still count i get it, but its not gonna make anyone bow down to your superiority.
200w.gif

Are you shitting me? Go to Kentucky parks and they are crammed full of Hoosiers because there is no where to go or nothing to do in Indiana outside of Brown County.

Wow. My area sure as hell in not dilapidated and is the fastest going area in Kentucky.

Kentucky's overall population increased 3.8% to about 4.5 million people between 2010 and 2020.

Last time I checked it was Indiana losing population instead of Kentucky.

According to USPS change-of-address data, these are the 10 top states people are fleeing.
  • California. 2021 saw a net loss of over 101 thousand households in California despite a mostly pleasant climate and robust tech industry. ...
  • New York. ...
  • Illinois. ...
  • Pennsylvania. ...
  • Massachusetts. ...
  • Washington. ...
  • Colorado. ...
  • Indiana.
I like you Bert, there's lot of good Kentucky folk but there's more that are down in the dumps without much going on in their lives. Indiana isn't much better, according to reports they're better but not by much, especially in the south west corner and north of Indy. Blame the drug epidemic in the Midwest.

• Sad
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Yeah, emotion over analytics is definitely @dukedevilz MO…

Haha right. I'm of the persuasion that the louder you yell, the more correct you are.

The whole modern era rankings wasn't something I thought of myself. It was a suggestion by a Purdue fan - and boilerzz relayed that suggestion over to me. I simply agreed to run similar numbers that I did for my all-time database, and see who came out on top. In the poll I created a few months ago, I was only gauging to see where people wanted to see the start date for the modern era.

The idea of ranking the top programs of the modern era was not mine, nor was 1985 an arbitrary timeframe that I picked; it was the consensus of the board.

Hey @dukedevilz, I shared your table on the homeboard and a poster asked an interesting question.

Most consider modern college basketball to be the period that the NCAA tournament went to 64 teams (1985). When you are updating this year, how difficult would it be to do two analyses; One for all time as you have done, and one for the period 1985 and forward? It would be fascinating to look at the differences between the two tables.

Normal fans aren’t online super fans (i.e., weirdos, and I include myself!), and they don’t think a basketball program’s historical accomplishments should enable a normal, everyday fan to act entitled, lol. When you think about it, being an actual jerk toward other teams’ fans because your players/coaches (i.e., not you…) win games is extra lame.

Living in Chicago, I don’t know any UK fans, but I’ve heard stories from folks in SEC country. Nobody likes an entitled prick, and they like them even less when they’re that way because of other men’s accomplishments. Plenty of room to cheer on your team and be proud and even talk some smack without crossing a line.

I took a poll a few months ago on when everyone believed the modern era should begin, and 1985 received 54% of the votes. So, this modern era database is going to cover 1985 - present.

Okay, so I've only compiled the stats for Kentucky, UCLA, Carolina, Duke, and Kansas. So, it wasn't like I just got 5 random teams. Not sure anyone else would leapfrog Kentucky in the modern era - maybe UConn or Villanova, but that's still doubtful.
If your team can't be best, pick a period. Pick it Duke. You were jack shit before 1990. Your team has had a good run, but will it continue that your one coach is no longer around?

Come on Dukedevilz you are better than this.

1985 Duke was shit. You know it. UK by 1985 had a bunch of championships, UNC a couple and poor Uconn, Villanova and Duke had diddly squat.

I keep going back to the big teams. KU, UK, IU and UNC. Duke is good but not near the top historically.

Geeze this is stupid.

Reactions: Yet Another UK Fan
I personally have no problem with any poster being loud and proud about their program. Despite some poster’s biases, most every program who have posters here have some legitimate accomplishments of which they can and should take pride in. The issue I have with the “obnoxious” UK fans is that they can’t/won’t allow any other program to have their moment in the sun without crapping on whatever accomplishment is the current topic of discussion. Some just can’t scroll on by, or Gawd forbid say “good game” or whatever the accomplishment may be. They HAVE to show their insecurities with a “yeah but, Kentucky….”. As a UofL fan/poster, and being UK’s most hated rival, we simply can’t ever have a positive UofL discussion on this board without it being over run with negative “obnoxious” UK poster comments. And the simple fact is, they have the overwhelming majority on this board, so if you are going to post here, you just have to put up with a lot of shit from those “obnoxious” UK posters. Being somewhat of a proud person and proud fan myself, it mostly makes posting on this board, or even reading it for that matter, often intolerable. Bottom line, there is a difference in being a proud fan of your program and an a-hole towards other programs.

Disclaimer: there are plenty of good UK posters here who are also good people, but they voices are drowned out by the obnoxious ones.

Props to RandomUKfan for posting this topic. It’s allowed the obnoxious posters to post examples of their obnoxious attitudes.
Thanks Stellers.

I hope that I am one of those obnoxious posters that makes your time here "intolerable".

I am Proud to be an obnoxious UK fan, but Louisville is not UK's most hated rival. You have it all wrong. UL is not even close. Have you ever heard of Tennessee, Florida, Vandy, UNC, Kansas, Indiana, et.al.?

I have forgotten more about UK basketball than you ever knew about Louisville basketball, plus I went to UofL, back when it was private. I love the University of Louisville because they made me a lot of money by teaching me economics.

Here is to your school!

Yep. Texas western pretty much ended Kentucky ever catching ucla. LOL at Pat Riley being outclassed athletically
You dumb shit you know nothing about basketball.

When Pat Riley and UK lost to Texas Western was in 1966. UCLA was jack shit, Bozo.

God you are basketball stupid.

Last edited:
If your team can't be best, pick a period. Pick it Duke. You were jack shit before 1990. Your team has had a good run, but will it continue that your one coach is no longer around?

1985 Duke was shit. You know it. UK by 1985 had a bunch of championships, UNC a couple and poor Uconn, Villanova and Duke had diddly squat.

I keep going back to the big teams. KU, UK, IU and UNC. Duke is good but not near the top historically.

Geeze this is stupid.

Like I said in my previous post, I was requested to rank the best schools of the modern era. I'm simply following through and saying, "Hey, sure, why not. Let's rank the greatest programs of the modern era."

You're kind of answering the question of the OP if you're going to be this sensitive.

Thanks Stellers.

I hope that I am one of those obnoxious posters that makes your time here "intolerable".

I am Proud to be an obnoxious UK fan, but Louisville is not UK's most hated rival. You have it all wrong. UL is not even close. Have you ever heard of Tennessee, Florida, Vandy, UNC, Kansas, Indiana, et.al.?

I have forgotten more about UK basketball than you ever knew about Louisville basketball, plus I went to UofL, back when it was private. I love the University of Louisville because they made me a lot of money by teaching me economics.

Here is to your school!
Thank you Bert. You are the perfect personification of what this thread is all about. 👌

you dumb shit you know nothing about basketball.

When Pat Riley and UK lost to Texas Western was in 1966. UCLA was jack shit, Bozo.

God you are basketball stupid.
The point is that Kentucky Dominating the sport ended with that loss. Once black players were accepted across the ranks Kentucky has not been as Been as dominant

Reactions: Villian07
Normal fans aren’t online super fans (i.e., weirdos, and I include myself!), and they don’t think a basketball program’s historical accomplishments should enable a normal, everyday fan to act entitled, lol. When you think about it, being an actual jerk toward other teams’ fans because your players/coaches (i.e., not you…) win games is extra lame.

Living in Chicago, I don’t know any UK fans, but I’ve heard stories from folks in SEC country. Nobody likes an entitled prick, and they like them even less when they’re that way because of other men’s accomplishments. Plenty of room to cheer on your team and be proud and even talk some smack without crossing a line.
Good. Please use all you "folks in SEC county" and quote them and where they are from. Go fine a UK prick. Then tell us all about him. Let us counter your lies.

Geeze.

Like I said in my previous post, I was requested to rank the best schools of the modern era. I'm simply following through and saying, "Hey, sure, why not. Let's rank the greatest programs of the modern era."

You're kind of answering the question of the OP if you're going to be this sensitive.
Yep. The OP is my buddy. I love him, I know him. We had a private discussion about the thread before he started it.

I am an obnoxious Kentucky fan. No doubt about it. I was an obnoxious Kentucky fan probably before you were born.

I have no reasons to be anything but obnoxious.

In another 50 years come back and brag about Duke being the greatest of the great. I will not be around but maybe the internet will be.

Yep. The OP is my buddy. I love him, I know him. We had a private discussion about the thread before he started it.

I am an obnoxious Kentucky fan. No doubt about it. I was an obnoxious Kentucky fan probably before you were born.

I have no reasons to be anything but obnoxious.

In another 50 years come back and brag about Duke being the greatest of the great. I will not be around but maybe the internet will be.

Yale has 18 FBS National Championships in Football, Alabama only has 17. Therefore, Yale is the all-time greatest program in College Football history.

It's possible some might like to see modern era rankings, because I don't know... things like the inclusion of African-Americans among the majority of schools, the 3-point line, the shot clock, at-large bids, freshmen eligible to play, and a 68-team field all make the modern era significantly differently than the pre-1980's or pre-1970's.

Yale has 18 FBS National Championships in Football, Alabama only has 17. Therefore, Yale is the all-time greatest program in College Football history.

It's possible some might like to see modern era rankings, because I don't know... things like the inclusion of African-Americans among the majority of schools, the 3-point line, the shot clock, at-large bids, freshmen eligible to play, and a 68-team field all make the modern era significantly differently than the pre-1980's or pre-1970's.
I agree here. I also think having multiple coaches win but at your program is something t that should not be overlooked. If Duke goes the next 10-15 years without Even a final 4. Is duke held in the same light they are now? At present coach K is bigger than duke basketball. We will see if duke basketball become bigger though

Geeze this is stupid.
Bert, you are just hurt because we are excluding 75% of your lifetime.

Not really seeing why it's a discussion that needs to be had if you're starting with '85. All that does is cater to programs that don't have the history or the accomplishments of a UK or a UNC. It's trying to put programs on a level they don't deserve.

Funny thing is, the exact opposite is true in this case. Dukedevilz is just putting together an unbiased ranking (at someone else's request, I think), using a widely accepted starting point.

You, meanwhile, want to change the timeframe because you don't like the result. Trying to put your program at a level it doesn't deserve in this conversation.

I agree here. I also think having multiple coaches win but at your program is something t that should not be overlooked. If Duke goes the next 10-15 years without Even a final 4. Is duke held in the same light they are now? At present coach K is bigger than duke basketball. We will see if duke basketball become bigger though

We were in the top 10 for all-time wins and Final Fours before K arrived on campus. I think we'll be alright. But I suppose you could argue we'd be flirting with Indiana territory.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Good. Please use all you "folks in SEC county" and quote them and where they are from. Go fine a UK prick. Then tell us all about him. Let us counter your lies.

Geeze.
The thread asked why UK fans might have a bad reputation, and I’ve heard they’re more obnoxious and/or arrogant than most. Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t; I don’t care, lol.

The point is that, in the eyes of normal people, UK’s basketball history/current success doesn’t give a random fan a right to act any certain way.

Alright I’ll bite ITT. First off, my whole family is from Kentucky (originally from Salyersville). I grew up playing basketball and I loved watching Kentucky play during the Pitino years. I have a deep respect for Kentucky basketball and it’s tradition. Being an Auburn fan and living in Alabama…as @AuHoosier420 pointed out, Kentucky fans and Bama fans are very similar in terms of being sore losers when they get beat. As a fan, I can’t understand why it’s so hard to just say, “Hey, congrats, your team beat our ass today, we deserved that L…” Instead, with UK fans and UA fans it’s always, “The refs gave you that game”….”Bruce is a cheater! Enjoy it while you can before you’re on probation!”…Like WTF? I don’t get rustled by it, I actually think it’s funny as hell, I’ve just never understood it.

The issue I have with the “obnoxious” UK fans is that they can’t/won’t allow any other program to have their moment in the sun without crapping on whatever accomplishment is the current topic of discussion. Some just can’t scroll on by, or Gawd forbid say “good game” or whatever the accomplishment may be. They HAVE to show their insecurities with a “yeah but, Kentucky….”.

Reminds me of one of my all-time favorite threads on the board started by @UL_1986; “Another Thread Ruined By UK Fans”.

thinking-remind.gif

ADVERTISEMENT