ADVERTISEMENT

IU Fans, ready to move on from Archie?

Not an IU fan, but this is his 4th year, and I did expect a lot more out of them. I think they have a lot more talent than their 12-12 record and he has seemed to underperform in his time there.

That said, I think he gets another year. My understanding is his buyout drops a lot next spring so if he doesn’t really show out then he’s probably gone.

Reactions: duckboy33
Some IU fans are still backing him. You guys have to admit, their standards aren’t what they used to be. Maybe Miller is doing the best someone can there ;)

How many years has it been?

He ain't the answer.

Who is on the "list" to be next up?
When hired, I thought it was a solid to very good hire. Felt it would take 2 years, to get IU back in the NCAA's....and positioning for conference titles. I just felt he fit IU. His style. His approach. But for whatever reason, it just han't worked out.

I do think he gets another year. I don't agree. But I think thats what happens.

So to answer your question---Yes, I think its time to cut bait. 12-12 in year 4 is not good. This group, minus Green/Smith, was 20-12 last year---and playing some decent basketball in March.

And now this?

Yikes.

I think IU was safely in...20-12. Had a BTT win under their belt. Was projected as a 10 seed before that...Pretty safe to assume they were in.
Last year did no favors for a coach like Miller. IU was in the tournament. Who knows what would have happened in the tournament which could have raise his stature. We have fans on our homeboard who are still complaining that underwood hasnt done anything yet because he hasnt made the tournament yet.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Last year did no favors for a coach like Miller. IU was in the tournament. Who knows what would have happened in the tournament which could have raise his stature. We have fans on our homeboard who are still complaining that underwood hasnt done anything yet because he hasnt made the tournament yet.
Yeah last year for a guy like Miller, wasn't good.

BUT....

Almost everyone returned off that team, as well. Lost Devonte Green and Justin Smith. Returned everyone else, and on paper---brought in a decent class. Nonetheless, 12-12 is 12-12. Even if the NCAA's had been played,and IU won a game or two---got to the SW 16, or what not---We are still 12-12 this year.

Underwood is gonna get it done at Illinois. Very good team. And last year, you guys would have been dangerous(NCAAT).

Edit: And see tht is the issue---Dudes like Howard @ Michigan, Holtman at OSU, and Underwood, have gotten it done. Miller has not.

Solid pt

Yeah last year for a guy like Miller, wasn't good.

BUT....

Almost everyone returned off that team, as well. Lost Devonte Green and Justin Smith. Returned everyone else, and on paper---brought in a decent class. Nonetheless, 12-12 is 12-12. Even if the NCAA's had been played,and IU won a game or two---got to the SW 16, or what not---We are still 12-12 this year.

Underwood is gonna get it done at Illinois. Very good team. And last year, you guys would have been dangerous(NCAAT).

Edit: And see tht is the issue---Dudes like Howard @ Michigan, Holtman at OSU, and Underwood, have gotten it done. Miller has not.
No doubt this year is on him. But we wouldnt be having this thread if Miller led them to a sweet 16 last year. Im not saying he would have, but its the tournament and there is a reason it is the craziest sporting event around.

No doubt this year is on him. But we wouldnt be having this thread if Miller led them to a sweet 16 last year. Im not saying he would have, but its the tournament and there is a reason it is the craziest sporting event around.
Meh----Sitting at 12-12, the chatter would be there. Maybe not as "hot"---But it wouldbe there. Year 4, and you are 12-12, with 85% of your pieces returning off a 20 win, probable NCAAT team, is reason for chatter.

I like, Archie. But something about him just isn't clicking at IU. Maybe his personality? He's not a pleasant dude at times, to be around. I think it has hurt recruiting, as time has went on. Secondly, he's stubborn---Gonna run his system. And I get that. BUT---good/great coaches adapt: Yes, I know---UK is 8-14...UNC was 14-19 last yeear---Duke is 11-9, etc, etc...BUT, well look at those dudes track records,right?

THe offense he runs produces scoring opportunities---Problem is, no one can produce consistently outside of TJD...And yesterday, Michigan cut that off. SO now, what? Rob Phinisse regressing as he has hasn't helped. No idea what is going on there. Again, could be a product of Miller, and his personality, etc, etc...But something has sucked the basletball life out of that kid.

Miller needed shooters....And there are a couple: Durham, Hunter....But again, consistency. Hasn't been there. Hasn't been there in his 4 years.

Add it all up---time for a change. BUt my fear? TJD returns, IU wins 20+ games, finishes in top half of a down Big 10, and welp----Extension.

We shall see. But man---Its gotta change--right?

Reactions: cmore79
Add it all up---time for a change. BUt my fear? TJD returns, IU wins 20+ games, finishes in top half of a down Big 10, and welp----Extension.

We shall see. But man---Its gotta change--right?
I know that feeling. I want my team to do well, but...

So what's the list of names, or are we saying since he's probably locked into one more year it's too soon to even speculate?

IU needs to stop hiring mid major level coaches. That's all they've hired since Knight left.

I stated it many times when they hired Archie that it was a mistake, certain IU fans got in my grill about it, but it was very obvious to me that he was not the right hire.

Nate Oats isn’t either. Get a proven coach and stop the stupidity.

That pool of available coaches ... that job search isn't always fun. Have a couple top choices blow you off and then you end up with a dice roll.

So what's the list of names, or are we saying since he's probably locked into one more year it's too soon to even speculate?
Here is what you do---Or what I would do.

1. Offer Brad Stevens the moon. Yes, 99.99% chance he says "No". But you do it.

2. Offer Billy Donovan that same moon. Yes, 99.99%he also says "No".But you do it.

Now, now we move on to realistic dudes...

1--Offer Bruce Pearl that same moon. If he says no, then move on. But TBH, I think Pearl would take the Indiana job. He's loyal. No doubt. But also no doubt that he wants a big name, big time job.

Pearl says no....

Offer Belien. At one time he was interested. You also offer him the moon...

If those four are nopes.....Well, go Beard/Oats, maybe Matta.

TIme to quit ****ing around...

IU needs to stop hiring mid major level coaches.

Nate Oats isn’t either. Get a proven coach and stop the stupidity.
Oats would be on my list....but behind dudes like Pearl, Belien, etc, etc....But he would certainly be on my list. Nate Oats can coach. Has a very good system, and recruits very well. Plus, Alabama ain't a mid-major.

I would not be upset with a Nate Oats hire at all.

2. Offer Billy Donovan that same moon. Yes, 99.99%he also says "No".But you do it.

1--Offer Bruce Pearl that same moon. If he says no, then move on. But TBH, I think Pearl would take the Indiana job. He's loyal. No doubt. But also no doubt that he wants a big name, big time job.

Pearl says no....

IU is not going to hire anyone with a reputation for being dirty. Pearl is not going to be considered.

I would agree with your first two, but I would move to Matta after Donovan says no.

Reactions: frombhto323

Pearl says no....

Skip to the end and put beilein at the top under Stevens and Donovan who are pipe dreams which u mentioned, I know he’s old but he can coach.

IU is not going to hire anyone with a reputation for being dirty. Pearl is not going to be considered.

I would agree with your first two, but I would move to Matta after Donovan says no.
If IU doesn't consider Pearl b/c of his past, we deserve to remain the shit hole we have become.

At TN----He lied about Craft being at a fuking BBQ---Woooooooooo...
At Wisc Milwaukee---He invited a recruit to his daughters graduation---Whoa, now---slow it down Bruce..SLOW.IT.DOWN, bro..

His name is not mentioned in the Auburn issues...

Shit that went on @ Illinois 400 years ago is fukin silly to begin with.

The rap Pearl gets is warranted SOME...But lets not pretend dude is running an organized crime gig, or something.

Skip to the end and put beilein at the top under Stevens and Donovan who are pipe dreams which u mentioned, I know he’s old but he can coach.
Fair. Although Stevens/Donovan are pipe dreams---you have to offer. Throw them a huge fukin bone---$8 million, incentives that could reach 9 or 10. Put them at the level(pay) of Cal or K.

Yea I guess u never know, Celtics seem to be getting worse, Donovan’s in a pretty bad situation as well.

If IU doesn't consider Pearl b/c of his past, we deserve to remain the shit hole we have become.

At TN----He lied about Craft being at a fuking BBQ---Woooooooooo...
At Wisc Milwaukee---He invited a recruit to his daughters graduation---Whoa, now---slow it down Bruce..SLOW.IT.DOWN, bro..

His name is not mentioned in the Auburn issues...

Shit that went on @ Illinois 400 years ago is fukin silly to begin with.

The rap Pearl gets is warranted SOME...But lets not pretend dude is running an organized crime gig, or something.
Didn’t he have an assistant coach get caught paying recruits like a year ago? The dude will not get look.

Oats would be on my list....but behind dudes like Pearl, Belien, etc, etc....But he would certainly be on my list. Nate Oats can coach. Has a very good system, and recruits very well. Plus, Alabama ain't a mid-major.

I would not be upset with a Nate Oats hire at all.
At this point in time, taking Oats is another gamble. He has a bunch of athletic veterans that are holdovers from the previous coaching staff and it appears as though his Alabama team is losing steam. All they're doing is shooting threes and taking layups, it's a gimmick offense. If I'm IU, I pass, can't afford to swing and miss again.

I like the list you gave a couple posts ago. Brad Stevens HAS to be #1 and Donovan HAS to be #2. I like Bruce Pearl. I love his style and his passion, but that guy can't stay out of trouble. But, he wins, so if you strike out on the others, go for BP.

But no more Archie's, Davis', Crean's or Sampson's, they were bad hires from the beginning.

Didn’t he have an assistant coach get caught paying recruits like a year ago? The dude will not get look.
Yep. Chuck Person. Again, not on his hands. Person even said as much. There are no connections with Pearl and the issues at Auburn.

IU needs to get of their fukin high horse. QUit acting as if IU is to good, or above hiring Bruce Pearl. I get so tired of the arrogant shit.

At this point in time, taking Oats is another gamble. He has a bunch of athletic veterans that are holdovers from the previous coaching staff and it appears as though his Alabama team is losing steam. All they're doing is shooting threes and taking layups, it's a gimmick offense. If I'm IU, I pass, can't afford to swing and miss again.

I like the list you gave a couple posts ago. Brad Stevens HAS to be #1 and Donovan HAS to be #2. I like Bruce Pearl. I love his style and his passion, but that guy can't stay out of trouble. But, he wins, so if you strike out on the others, go for BP.

But no more Archie's, Davis', Crean's or Sampson's, they were bad hires from the beginning.
Sampson was a bad hire simply b/c of what he brought----But not as a coach. Sampson as a coach was a fukin homerun. If dude had kept it clean, I have zero doubt IU has banner # 6 by now. Maybe #7. Sampson is a flat out stud as a coach.

Oats system is not a gimmick. Its ran a ton, by a ton of schools. 5 out, 4/1, spreading the floor is becoming a very common offense. MOF, not much difference from the dribble/drive. He recruits to his system very well. His teams at Buffalo just weren't beating up on mid-mjaors, those last two teams were legit good---SW 16 good. Just got shitting seeds.

Oats to me would be a disappointing hire IF he was our top target, OR, well it means the other 4/5 daid no.

I still think Pearl would take the IU job.

Yep. Chuck Person. Again, not on his hands. Person even said as much. There are no connections with Pearl and the issues at Auburn.

IU needs to get of their fukin high horse. QUit acting as if IU is to good, or above hiring Bruce Pearl. I get so tired of the arrogant shit.
Who hired Chuck Persons? Pearl has been involved in dirty shit everywhere he has been. There is no chance he is considered. None.

Sampson was a bad hire simply b/c of what he brought----But not as a coach. Sampson as a coach was a fukin homerun. If dude had kept it clean, I have zero doubt IU has banner # 6 by now. Maybe #7. Sampson is a flat out stud as a coach.

Oats system is not a gimmick. Its ran a ton, by a ton of schools. 5 out, 4/1, spreading the floor is becoming a very common offense. MOF, not much difference from the dribble/drive. He recruits to his system very well. His teams at Buffalo just weren't beating up on mid-mjaors, those last two teams were legit good---SW 16 good. Just got shitting seeds.

Oats to me would be a disappointing hire IF he was our top target, OR, well it means the other 4/5 daid no.

I still think Pearl would take the IU job.
How can you possibly say all this about Sampson, yet want Pearl? They are in the exact same class as a coach. Both are successful, but neither play by the rules. You can put Pitino in that group as well. No chance a dirty coach gets considered.

Would you expect persons to roll on Bruce regardless. If this was his first issue ok bad luck but it’s a pattern. Granted I think the bbq and graduation stuff is way overblown but not so much the lying about it. Making boys into men is pretty much unspoken in the job description. Now I don’t know him and he seems great and all but being involved and busted 3-4 times is not just bad luck.

Actually at the rate people are cheating it might be, with my team at the forefront.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
Reactions: cmore79

Good write up. Drew played at Valpo in HS, and college. Coached at Valpo. Knows the state. His dad is a legend in Indiana.

More I think in this, the more I feel----This might be the dude.
If I were Indiana he would be my first call. Sure, call the unreachable ones like Donovan and Stevens if you want, but Scott Drew would be my guy.

How can you possibly say all this about Sampson, yet want Pearl? They are in the exact same class as a coach. Both are successful, but neither play by the rules. You can put Pitino in that group as well. No chance a dirty coach gets considered.
Kelvin Sampson and Bruce Pearl are on two different planets, bro. Sampson was put on probation for making thousands of illicit calls, text, and other recruting violations. THEN.....well, shit----he did it again. While still on probation. Then lied to IU about it.

Pearl invited a recruit to his daughters graduation. Then really went fukin rogue, and had a recruit over for a BBQ.

Yeah, same thing....JFC. It ain't even close to the same thing.

ADVERTISEMENT