ADVERTISEMENT

It’s Time for Real Conversations About the Kentucky Head Coach Role

Yep. I get it. He should be on the hot seat next year. Anything less than a sweet 16 at the least should tell you whether Cal still has the magic

Um…they went 9-16 last year
You know what man, you can get bent. With your holier than thou, Oh, we lost to a 16 seed and won the next year. You know what....

10734667.gif

I'd gladly trade Coach Cal for Pearl. I think he would win more at UK than Cal is currently doing. Guess it won't happen.

One thing I'm hoping is that we can get some more guys like Grady via the transfer portal to offset Cal's tendency to recruit athleticism over skills. This year I thought we had some shooters but they kind of disappeared down the stretch.

Last edited:
I'd gladly trade Coach Cal for Pearl. I think he would win more at UK than Cal is currently doing. Guess it won't happen.

One thing I'm hoping is that we can get some more guys like Grady via the transfer portal to offset Cal's tendency to recruit athleticism over skills. This year I thought we had some shooters but they kind of disappeared down the stretch.
See, I’m not really wanting Pearl. He’s good, but I just don’t feel it with him. I like him at Auburn.

I'll trade you Jeff Capel for him.

Fun fact: I walked in on Cal banging my buddy's sister when I was in high school. It was pretty wild having a lot of the players from the #1 ranked team in the country and their coach at a crappy little high school party (my buddy's sister was in college). I was pretty hammered and it was a long time ago, but I vaguely remember shotgunning a few beers with Lou Roe.

Cal isn't going anywhere. I believe his buyout would be $43 million right now. He doesn't actually have a "lifetime contract" in the coaching sense. It is a 10-year deal for $86 million and he still has 7 years left on it. He has the option to step down beginning in the 6th year of the deal (2025) and take a position as assistant to the athletic director for $950K per year after that (that's where the "lifetime" part comes in). Otherwise his coaching contract runs through the 2028-29 season.

No but he didn't call a timeout when St. Peter's switched to a simple zone leading to a 7-0 run. Didn't call timeout when they had the ball and 20 seconds left in the game. Didn't try and mix the defense up at all. Played Keion Brooks. Etc etc etc
True, I told my brother he should have called Timeout.

Cal isn't going anywhere. I believe his buyout would be $43 million right now. He doesn't actually have a "lifetime contract" in the coaching sense. It is a 10-year deal for $86 million and he still has 7 years left on it. He has the option to step down beginning in the 6th year of the deal (2025) and take a position as assistant to the athletic director for $950K per year after that (that's where the "lifetime" part comes in). Otherwise his coaching contract runs through the 2028-29 season.
I’d make it to at least 2025. In 30 years he’ll still be getting paid like Bobby Bonilla.

• Haha
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Our best shooter (CJ) was injured and didn't play a single minute. Grady was in a slump and the timing of it was terrible. Something happened to this team's chemistry after the injuries. They've been on a down slide since. We were up 8 with 3 minutes to go. Should've closed it out but didn't. Cal put together a very good team and before injuries, man they were good.

Honestly I was concerned about the first couple of games. I was hoping to see some improvement over how they have been playing. But sadly they didn't.

I can't blame Cal for this one. 2015 yes, but not this one. This was all on the players. I was hoping to see Collins play. I thought he would've thrived with lobs and his athleticism. I do blame Cal for not developing Hopkins and Collins where they could contribute. You could see flashes from both, but unless you actually get game experience, you're not going to develop,

Boy, UK was fool's gold this year lol.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
But but but our 10th man didnt play a single minute all year 🤣

too bad tyty didnt catch a cramp so ud have a legitimate excuse.

Our best shooter (CJ) was injured and didn't play a single minute. Grady was in a slump and the timing of it was terrible. Something happened to this team's chemistry after the injuries. They've been on a down slide since. We were up 8 with 3 minutes to go. Should've closed it out but didn't. Cal put together a very good team and before injuries, man they were good.

Honestly I was concerned about the first couple of games. I was hoping to see some improvement over how they have been playing. But sadly they didn't.

I can't blame Cal for this one. 2015 yes, but not this one. This was all on the players. I was hoping to see Collins play. I thought he would've thrived with lobs and his athleticism. I do blame Cal for not developing Hopkins and Collins where they could contribute. You could see flashes from both, but unless you actually get game experience, you're not going to develop,

Boy, UK was fool's gold this year lol.
They were never up 8, they were up 6. Not sure what game Cal was watching but I would expect a head coach to know the score in crunch time. Thinking they were up 8 probably made him go to stall ball even sooner than he normally would...

The NCAA fanbase seems to be divided into 2 factions;

A) “All that talent and no trophies”

or

B) “Stop it.”

When the “all that talent and no trophies” faction would fire up 6 or 7 years ago I thought it was premature due to getting to final fours or just missing, but the last few seasons (excluding last season due to COVID) UK has been underwhelming, with our 5 star teams being bested by teams with fewer stars but scrappy ballers.

It has become clear to me that Cal can only succeed with overly-superior talent, which has not been seen for a while In Lexington like in the past with exception to Oscar. Someone will say “ . . . and replace him with who!?” One answer to that is; A no-name coach can deliver repeated early-exits just as easy as Cal has.

So, are UK fans just spoiled or should a Blue Blood take a gamble with someone new now?
I would vote no. I have thought about it and who would UK hire? Who do we want that would be better than Cal?

I don't know.

Kentucky shit the bed Thursday night, but that is the first time Cal has done it. In my 65 years of following Kentucky that was the worst loss of my era, followed by the Middle Tennessee loss under Joe B. Hall.

UK did not fire Joe B. for one bed shitting, nor should they fire Cal.

I actually though Thursday night that Cal intimidated the UK guards. The AD needs to runover that tape and if he did, warn him. Make a threat, but I understand the Cals contract is pretty iron clad, so unless UK want to take a horrible deposit of money in Cals bank account they may want to keep him.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
The only coaches out there better than Cal/equal too, are not leaving....and one is retiring---the other has retired..

So,if you got that route, who you taking a chance on?

Kentucky is Kentucky b/c they have always made the right decision---BCG being the exception, but even then, they made the right decision when it came apparent he wasn't the guy.

Self is not leaving Kansas
Drew is not leaving Baylor
Few is not leaving Gonzaga
Wright is not leaving Nova

Sooooooooo.......Who ya gonna get?

The only coaches out there better than Cal/equal too, are not leaving....and one is retiring---the other has retired..

So,if you got that route, who you taking a chance on?

Kentucky is Kentucky b/c they have always made the right decision---BCG being the exception, but even then, they made the right decision when it came apparent he wasn't the guy.

Self is not leaving Kansas
Drew is not leaving Baylor
Few is not leaving Gonzaga
Wright is not leaving Nova

Sooooooooo.......Who ya gonna get?
Mike Woodson

• Haha
Reactions: BasketBallJunkie-UK

I can't blame Cal for this one. 2015 yes, but not this one. This was all on the players.
Kentucky was up 6, 68-62.

Injuries happen---but even then,this team had 100x's the talent of St. Peter's.

You can put 2015 on Cal, but NOT this one? There is absolute NO reason Oscar didn't get the ball, every trip those last three minutes....There is NO reason Cal doesn't draw up last play for Oscar.

Up 6, with 3 minutes to go---most dominant dude in CBB on your side, and he gets,what---onw/two shots down the stretch?

Naaaah, brother---this shits on your dude.

Does he or UK admin have the nuts to make it happen. Ppl ask who would we get after Calipari.

Bring Pitino home and let him retire here.
It like,what-----March of next year...Dude is 70. Doesn't UK have mandatory retirement clause? Pretty sure thats why Rupp retired?

It like,what-----March of next year...Dude is 70. Doesn't UK have mandatory retirement clause? Pretty sure thats why Rupp retired?
Not sure if it's still in effect. IIRC 72 is the age your asking. Could be wrong, to lazy to look it up.

But yes the state of Kentucky made Rupp retire.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
@Villian07

I guess you missed the games where UK destroyed UT and KU.
Na only thing im missing is all the injuries ur hiding behind. Besides the one for the 9th-10th player that comes off ur bench(maybe), who also didnt play a minute all season, who exactly were yall missing vs thursday.

If anything, point to cal for running grady into the dirt when yall did have a few minor injuries in the bc during the year. That might be a legit gripe. Injuries…..not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT