ADVERTISEMENT

Is there a more unlikeable head coach than Jim Boeheim?

Wow 34 points?

Boeheim is such a baby. They actually have to leave the state before the new year this year. Must be tough...

The 2017 ACC Tournament was played in Brooklyn. Finally, Boeheim got his wish. When one reporter asked him about having Greensboro as a venue for future ACC Tournaments, this is how he responded...

The city of Greensboro shot back with a tweet shortly after Syracuse lost its opening game. Tweet is now deleted, but it was quite the burn.

"We kindly disagree. But I guess you can lose in the 1st round anywhere. At least it's a quick ride home."

Did't he kill a guy?
giphy.gif

The 2017 ACC Tournament was played in Brooklyn. Finally, Boeheim got his wish. When one reporter asked him about having Greensboro as a venue for future ACC Tournaments, this is how he responded...

The city of Greensboro shot back with a tweet shortly after Syracuse lost its opening game. Tweet is now deleted, but it was quite the burn.

"We kindly disagree. But I guess you can lose in the 1st round anywhere. At least it's a quick ride home."

Moving the ACC tournament around is the dumbest thing the powers that be could decide to do. I’ve lived my entire life in N.C. and been to many ACC tournaments. It’s almost a religion here. Opening round games will be packed out. Getting tickets to semi finals and/or finals involving Duke or UNC is nearly impossible without paying with an organ. When they moved it to NY I remember seeing the stands in the semi finals and finals and they were just barely over halfway full. But I’m sure boohoo Boeheim isn’t worried about that.

Moving the ACC tournament around is the dumbest thing the powers that be could decide to do. I’ve lived my entire life in N.C. and been to many ACC tournaments. It’s almost a religion here. Opening round games will be packed out. Getting tickets to semi finals and/or finals involving Duke or UNC is nearly impossible without paying with an organ. When they moved it to NY I remember seeing the stands in the semi finals and finals and they were just barely over halfway full. But I’m sure boohoo Boeheim isn’t worried about that.

Truth about the religion aspect of the ACCT. I remember growing up and watching the ACC Tournament during the last period of class. Pretty common for teachers to do so in North Carolina.

I like having the tournament in Greensboro. A nice central location. 4 ACC schools in this state, including the two biggest fanbases. Clemson, VT, and UVA are all within 3 1/2 hours of GSO. In theory New York would make sense as a venue, because it's a bigger market. But, ACC fans (outside of Duke and Syracuse) don't live there.

Truth about the religion aspect of the ACCT. I remember growing up and watching the ACC Tournament during the last period of class. Pretty common for teachers to do so in North Carolina.

I like having the tournament in Greensboro. A nice central location. 4 ACC schools in this state, including the two biggest fanbases. Clemson, VT, and UVA are all within 3 1/2 hours of GSO. In theory New York would make sense as a venue, because it's a bigger market. But, ACC fans (outside of Duke and Syracuse) don't live there.

Exact same for me with the TVs getting rolled into the classrooms. I remember it was like a holiday in school and most teachers were prepared for students to miss the week of the tournament. And when we went to the tournament we weren’t just going to watch UNC, we were going the entire day. So you’d have GT playing FSU in the quarterfinals and it would be a packed house for them. I really don’t understand how the ACC doesn’t see the money they’ve lost leaving Greensboro. Oh well. I guess times are just changing.

The same thing here. I guess it was mandated by the school system because we watched it during our last period of class too but that clown Boeheim dissed Greensboro when it was here a few years back. The tournament will be in Greensboro this year and I'm sure the fans here won't let him forget that remark.

I went to every one of the Purdue games in MSG for the B1G tourney and it was fire. I would love for it to be in MSG every four years or so.

Reactions: brooky03
Honestly I get pretty annoyed by all the coaches in college basketball not named Bruce Pearl

No I loved him then to. Everyone was kicking Auburn’s ass then

What pearl has done as a coach is more impressive to me than anything any of the guys at the historical powers have done. Especially when you compare the resources those guys have done it with. Pearl would Have won more titles than cAlipari had he been at Kentucky the last 8 years. He would have IU back to the height of the knight days. What he has done at Auburn is nothing short of amazing.

I’ve never forgiven Nick Collison for his epic free throw choke to hand Boeheim his only title. Met him once and wouldn’t even talk to him.

Seriously, though, that was a funny moment. My ex’s sister was his daughter’s nanny, and he was picking her up. My gf, who worked for an obgyn, hands him a handful of KY samples. Doesn’t bat an eye, just shoves them into his pocket.

I’ve never forgiven Nick Collison for his epic free throw choke to hand Boeheim his only title. Met him once and wouldn’t even talk to him.

Seriously, though, that was a funny moment. My ex’s sister was his daughter’s nanny, and he was picking her up. My gf, who worked for an obgyn, hands him a handful of KY samples. Doesn’t bat an eye, just shoves them into his pocket.
Nick Collison is my favorite Jayhawk player of all time. I hope he ends up getting into coaching, becomes very good at it and then eventually takes over as the next head coach at KU where he wins national championships to make up for 3-12 at the FT line in 2003.

Reactions: ExitFlagger

lol at the city of Greensboro. Not a good look there

Last edited:
Reactions: UL_1986
The same thing here. I guess it was mandated by the school system because we watched it during our last period of class too but that clown Boeheim dissed Greensboro when it was here a few years back. The tournament will be in Greensboro this year and I'm sure the fans here won't let him forget that remark.

And I’m sure he won’t mind

I went to every one of the Purdue games in MSG for the B1G tourney and it was fire. I would love for it to be in MSG every four years or so.

How dare Jim suggest the tournament for the best basketball conference be played in New York City! Blasphemy!

Karma for Coleman missing a FT to allow IU to steal a Title.

The Big 12 tried hosting the conference tournament in Oklahoma City and Dallas on a rotation with Kansas City back in the 2000's. They learned pretty quickly that was a bad idea. The attendance was pretty much non-existent down south. It's been in Kansas City ever since.

Ahhh man I don’t even remember McNamara for the title run, I remember him for his epic big east tournament run where he was hitting buzzer beaters every half and game all tourney long it seemed.

Reactions: brooky03
How dare Jim suggest the tournament for the best basketball conference be played in New York City! Blasphemy!

The ACC let you in so he doesn’t have enough juice for that to happen on a continuous basis. Also to many empty seats in MSG so with that you can have the tournament in 3 cities in NC and every game will be a sellout or close to it.

Ahhh man I don’t even remember McNamara for the title run, I remember him for his epic big east tournament run where he was hitting buzzer beaters every half and game all tourney long it seemed.
That was pretty cool to watch him hit 3's in all of those games. Still don't like him though.

In the 2003 title game he made six three's in the first half. At one point very early on Syracuse was up by 18 points but KU slowly crept back and it was a 1 possession game with a minute left. Ended up losing 81-78.

Another awful stat from that game is Kansas was 12-30 from the free throw line. Nick Collison was 3-10. He had 19 points and 21 rebounds but KU fans remember that FT stat more.

Syracuse was just destined to win that night.

Reactions: KisteK
The ACC let you in so he doesn’t have enough juice for that to happen on a continuous basis. Also to many empty seats in MSG so with that you can have the tournament in 3 cities in NC and every game will be a sellout or close to it.

The ACC didn’t ‘let us in’. The ACC pursued us and did so when the original expansion of the conference happened. Don’t get that part twisted.

The empty seats angle is an interesting one. I don’t know enough about it or how empty it actually was. I know the important schools in the conference travel well and likely had their sections filled up. If sections reserved for Wake Forest or Georgia Tech, or whatever, were empty, then it’s simply a matter of reconfiguring the ticket sales and seats available to those schools.

Jim wanted the tournament in NYC because he remembers how good NYC was to the Big East. For a weekend, you’d get the best city in the world buzzing about college basketball. Not an easy thing to do. He probably just wanted to capture that. To the northern schools added in the expansion, Greensboro is not all that appealing. Maybe NYC is the same to southern fans. Idk

Reactions: KisteK

The last time the ACCT was in Greensboro was 2015. The attendance for that event was 141,159.

ACCT was in Brooklyn just 2 years ago, and had 82,390 for the entirety of the tourney. 2015 had one less game, too. It matters when 7 schools can get to a location in 3 1/2 hours or less. Syracuse and BC are the closest schools to Brooklyn, roughly 4 hours away. Everyone else has to drive 6+ hours. That matters for the many fanbases that are traveling.

The last time the ACCT was in Greensboro was 2015. The attendance for that event was 141,159.

ACCT was in Brooklyn just 2 years ago, and had 82,390 for the entirety of the tourney. 2015 had one less game, too. It matters when 7 schools can get to a location in 3 1/2 hours or less. Syracuse and BC are the closest schools to Brooklyn, roughly 4 hours away. Everyone else has to drive 6+ hours. That matters for the many fanbases that are traveling.

Barclays holds 3,000 less than Greensboro. That alone counts for an attendance difference of 42,000 (assuming 14 games).

So the difference isn’t as stark as it’s being made out to be.

edit: Greensboro actually holds 23k+, to Barclays’ 19k. Over 14 games, that’s 56,000 less seats available. That’s almost the entire attendance difference. So the issue is venue size, not location.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT