ADVERTISEMENT

Is there a benefit for top ranked recruits to go to a "Blue Blood"?

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
Cade Cunningham, Trae Young , Oklahoma/St. Ben Simmons LSU, We could go on and on.

Does TV exposure, coaches connections, etc, help with with contracts? Building a brand?

P5 schools. I'm trying to be concise, but feel I'm being disjointed.

Some say they want to win a Championship at all levels, but do they really? I think some just want to be the focal point.

The HS to the NBA is the right move.

I don't think top kids have to go to a "Blue Blood" in order to get exposure of a high draft position. I think some kids want to because of the prestige it can carry or possibly the kid growing up and becoming a fan of the school.

That said, I do think some kids pick a "Blue Blood" because of the exposure but also because of the type of coaching they will receive. Then the other part could be the players they'll be playing with, as well.

I just don't think it boils down the just one thing or another, it's the combination of all those that makes it difficult to pass up.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Well, if Louisville were a blue blood the answer would be yes, hookers and drugs.

Ben Simmons and Trae Young have won a combined 0 NCAA Tournament games. Guess it doesn't really matter if you're not concerned about winning.

If you simply want to showcase your talents, a 5-star kid would be fine at any school. Everyone knew who Ja Morant was last year - and he wasn't a rated recruit, nor did he play at a power school. If you're good enough, the country will be on notice.

I would think the benefit of going to a blue blood as a top recruit is:

- Exposure with clear path from blue blood school to the NBA where all the top recruits want to go.
- Chance to play with other top recruits.
- Play for legendary coaches who can make them better and have their teams competing for conference championships and in the tournament.

I think some players do want to be featured more which might creep into their decision making. As part of that style of play probably factors in. But the NBA will find talent even if they are not at a blue blood school.

Some kids like the idea of playing for a place with such rich history and being a part of that. That sort of thing can also lead to networking to some degree, which can help at the next level. People can say silly things about it, but the family atmosphere at a place like Carolina (there are certainly other places as well without a doubt, not just UNC) does resonate with some recruits. Being a part of something bigger is easier when there are so many great players constantly around a program, which is often the case with the blue bloods.

Exposure used to be big. I don't think it is as much. However, if you look at the full court treatment a guy like Zion got at Duke last year it would be hard to make the case he gets that somewhere else so it is still relevant in that sense.

Obviously, winning is the number one thing though. Some kids say they want to have a chance to win a title and some kids actually do. There is zero chance a guy like Simmons thinks he is winning at LSU. Cade could be different if he brings Bryce along with him I suppose. With some pieces around those two they could be pretty good. However, he would certainly have a better chance at a UK than at an OSU.

-

Last edited:
Ben Simmons and Trae Young have won a combined 0 NCAA Tournament games. Guess it doesn't really matter if you're not concerned about winning.

If you simply want to showcase your talents, a 5-star kid would be fine at any school. Everyone knew who Ja Morant was last year - and he wasn't a rated recruit, nor did he play at a power school. If you're good enough, the country will be on notice.
This. Pretty much comes down to having a lot of TV time and wanting to win. You want both of those things, you're better off at a program with rich history.

Some kids like the idea of playing for a place with such rich history and being a part of that. That sort of thing can also lead to networking to some degree, which can help at the next level. People can say silly things about it, but the family atmosphere at a place like Carolina (there are certainly other places as well without a doubt, not just UNC) does resonate with some recruits. Being a part of something bigger is easier when there are so many great players constantly around a program, which is often the case with the blue bloods.

Exposure used to be big. I don't think it is as much. However, if you look at the full court treatment a guy like Zion got at Duke last year it would be hard to make the case he gets that somewhere else so it is still relevant in that sense.

Obviously, winning is the number one thing though. Some kids say they want to have a chance to win a title and some kids actually do. There is zero chance a guy like Simmons thinks he is winning at LSU. Cade could be different if he brings Bryce along with him I suppose. With some pieces around those two they could be pretty good. However, he would certainly have a better chance at a UK than at an OSU.

-
You always give great feedback and I appreciate it.

Are you against UNC taking on the OAD model?

You always give great feedback and I appreciate it.

Are you against UNC taking on the OAD model?

Not really. I would prefer a balanced approach but I have said in the past that even if you have constant turnover like UK (and recently Duke) as long as you are getting elite players each year it makes it exciting. Now, I will admit following guys for multiple years with all the stories you read about them and getting to know them in some way is pretty cool. Some of those dudes are my all time favorites. However, that doesn't mean the other guys aren't part of the program or that I blame them for leaving. Heck, I would.

Seeing guys grow up in the program is fun. However, watching a Cole Anthony or Coby White is pretty fun as well (as you guys definitely understand).

Defense is what gets you in the league and then on the court
Everyone can score in the NBA if needed but keeping players from scoring is what gets you in the rotation.

A lot of blue chip players can get by on just god given talent.

But the ones who really stand out are ones who can look like the best player without the ball.

That comes from mentality. Sometimes it is coaching other times it is hunger

Most 17-19 year olds are hard headed.

I'd also add Blue Bloods tend to play on the biggest stages. ie Champions classic. Maxey stock went tremendously against MSU.

source.gif

It also hurts some players. Some guys don’t perform up to their high rankings & as a result either drop in the draft or stay multiple years & get recruited over.

hey at UNCheats they don't go to real classes and have people take their tests for them if they ACTUALLY signed up for a real class.

but 99% of the 1 n done players don't go to class anyway.

hey at UNCheats they don't go to real classes and have people take their tests for them if they ACTUALLY signed up for a real class.

but 99% of the 1 n done players don't go to class anyway.

Is that the best you can do? When you guys win a tournament game then maybe you’ll get some cred, till then you guys aren’t on anyone’s radar.

Is that the best you can do? When you guys win a tournament game then maybe you’ll get some cred, till then you guys aren’t on anyone’s radar.

they have won 3 in the last 3 NCAAT.

can't help UNCheats got that name for a reason. oh btw Iowa has won 3 out of the 4 games between them and UNCheats.

even Paige went 0-3 against teams from Iowa
UNI
ISU
Iowa
Dr. Tom's team handed Dean Smith his 1st loss in the brand new Dean Dome, in OOC play.

oh by the way Iowa has made the FF 3 TIMES so winning in the NCAAT is nothing new to Iowa.

Even Dr. Tom made it to the Elite 8 once
sweet 16
and a 9-0 record in the 1st rnd in his 13 seasons. just a few years ago Iowa was rated as high as #3.

to bad you spout crap about someone you know nothing about.

ADVERTISEMENT