Is the top of the ACC as good as we thought it was?

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by champs99and04, Feb 24, 2015.

1. champs99and04

champs99and04 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

A couple weeks ago, I thought there were five really good teams in the ACC. And, per kenpom, that is still mostly true - the ACC has five teams in the top 20, more than any other conference. Now, all of these teams that stood above the rest are beginning to look pretty ordinary. It could be because the middle of the ACC is improving, or it could be because the top five aren't as good as we thought they were. Like most things, probably a little bit of both.

This isn't a case of the top five teams beating each other up. Louisville has had a disastrous two weeks highlighted by losses to N.C. State and Syracuse, and of course the dismissal of Chris Jones. UNC is among the most bi-polar teams in the country - one night they're hanging 90 on Duke, the next they can't crack 50 against a mediocre N.C. State defense. Notre Dame lost at home tonight to Syracuse. Even Virginia has struggled to score points without Justin Anderson, and if he's unable to return, it's hard to envision them playing too deep into March.

One thing we always have to acknowledge when watching college basketball is that these are mostly young players who develop at different rates. The N.C. State team of today probably isn't the same one that struggled OOC; sure, some of it is variance, but most of it is just guys getting better. I never thought I'd say this, but give credit to Gottfried. Syracuse has quietly strung together wins over Louisville and Notre Dame in recent weeks, Miami is always a tough out, and Pittsburgh has beaten North Carolina and Notre Dame. You could argue that there are nine tournament-caliber teams in this conference, but they all seem so up and down. I thought we'd see three or four teams from the ACC in the elite eight, possibly five in the sweet sixteen. Now I'm wondering if we'll see more than one or two. Thoughts?

2. coryfly

coryfly Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

If UVA is healthy they are legit and so is Duke. Louisville is going to struggle without Jones. ND's chances are all about matchups. UNC's as well. UNC is 1-6 when games are under 65 possessions because they can't shoot. When teams slow it down and pack it in they can't score because of the shooting, spacing, and lack of penetration. When teams want to run and have more of an open court game UNC can beat almost anyone (probably not Kentucky unless everything went absolutely perfect). Injuries and illness have also killed the team. Almost all of their better players are playing with some serious issues, especially Paige and Brice and those are two players UNC has to have produce. Still, there are other issues outside of that obviously. After that there are a few teams that could win a game but not much more IMO. I think the ACC is a really good conference but injuries and other factors are making many of teams worse.

3. FAO_BlueFan

FAO_BlueFan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

While I agree the top of the ACC might not be as shiny as it was a month ago you have to admit that the depth of the league now seems better than we thought too.

Syracuse has improved. NC St has stabilized some. Pitt has come out of nowhere to look solid more often than not. Miami (while sporadic) is known to be dangerous.

My overall perception of the league is about the same it has just taken a different shape.

This post was edited on 2/25 12:51 AM by FAO_BlueFan

4. sdsufan10

sdsufan10 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

UVA and Duke are still very good teams capable of making final 4 runs, UVA if they get healthy Anderson back and parentes is as good as anyone other than UK in the country

5. Jkwo

Jkwo Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

This.

6. Ipartiedwithhopgood

Ipartiedwithhopgood Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Maybe not specifically this year.

I think the mindset is the league has heavy hitting programs up top throughout the course of time so there is going to be a respect factor each year, even if maybe it's not as good as advertised in a particular snap shot in time.

7. GE Nole

GE Nole Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Bingo.

Louisville isn't the same team without Chris Jones. That's obvious. So in that respect, the top of the ACC is weaker than it was when he was playing.

However, NC State, Syracuse, Pitt, FSU, and Miami are all playing solid basketball right now.

I know just from following the Noles, they struggled in the OOC after their best player was kicked off and their best perimeter shooter had foot surgery. But the freshman (two starters) have grown up and the shooter returned from the surgery, and their KenPom has risen nearly 40 spots in the last month. They won't make the NCAA, but they could have won a game if they did get there. Gave UNC, Duke, and UVA all they could handle.

8. PennJayhawk

PennJayhawk Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

It's hard to really judge the bottom of the ACC. Are they pulling off upsets because of improvement, or because the middle of the league is bad?

This good vs bad conference stuff is always silly. Even with their flaws Duke and UVA are very good. I'm just not sold on UL (even with a full roster), ND or UNC. The bottom of the league seems awful, but you never know since any team can improve over time. TCU has a bad record in Big 12 play, but you can tell they're a better team than anyone expected.

9. GE Nole

Expand Collapse

The bottom of the league is bad. They aren't really pulling off upsets. GT, BC, and VT have 6 ACC wins between them. BC's lone win is over GT. 1 of VT's 2 wins is over GT. And 1 of GT's 3 wins is over Wake.

So the bottom of the league has 3 upsets over Miami, Clemson, and Pitt out of like 50 games. Even blind squirrels find some nuts.

Now, the MIDDLE of the league is improving. That's obvious and backed up by statistics.

10. PennJayhawk

PennJayhawk Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Maybe not as many upsets, but more close scores. The middle has not impressed me at all. Don't know about the stats, but the games I've seen have been underwhelming. Syracuse is leaning on those wins over ND and UL. They've won 4 of their last 11. ND has one resume-boosting ACC win. UNC played a tough overall schedule, but they're in the same boat as ND with few quality ACC wins. They've lost 5 of their last 7. Miami hasn't improved either since their Duke upset.

You may not consider ND "the middle," but there is a giant drop off after Duke and UVA.

11. GE Nole

Expand Collapse

ND is a top 20 team in the country according to the metrics. If they are in the middle of the league, then the league must be pretty salty. Are they a Final Four team? Probably not. But if that's the criteria for top teams, than how many leagues have anyone good at the top?

Syracuse can't even play in the ACCT, because of something that happened years ago. I give their boys credit for winning any of their last 11 games.

Saying UNC has few quality wins in the ACC speaks more about the strength of the middle of the league than it does the weakness of UNC.