ADVERTISEMENT

Is Sharife Cooper the best PG in the country?....

@lurkeraspect84 why are we having the same argument we’ve had a million times when you, a Memphis man, isn’t backing my rose in college > curry in college.
First, I just work in Memphis. No sports affiliation.

Funny story about that. I was working at a Volvo dealership in Memphis when I first moved here.Dang how much do I tell?. anyway, the guy had box seats at the FedEx forum. Calipari was still the coach here.

Owner knew Rose to Memphis was a done deal months before crystal ball (didn't exist then, but point remains on experts).

Again,I don't know how much to tell. A)WWW had nothing to do with Rose, B) Calipari was cheating his ass off mainly using FedEx jobs, and C)his circle of friends are undeniable.

With all that said,it's besides the point on insinuating players don't get value from Calipri/UK.

With all that said,it's besides the point on insinuating players don't get value from Calipri/UK.

We are Past that. Do you think curry>rose in college.

And there’s a lot difference in “gets value” and “you would be nothing without UK” like some bbn spouted at Gabriel this offseason.

I’ve never said cal doesn’t develop at all. In fact I’ve conceded he’s probably the best in the business at prepping his players for the nba. I just don’t think it matters nearly as much as he would have you believe.

Last edited:
We are Past that. Do you think curry>rose in college.
Hard to compare, one stay longer and the other went to the title game in his only year.

Did you know Self and Calipari was on the same Final Four coaching staff together at KU?

Hard to compare, one stay longer and the other went to the title game in his only year.

Did you know Self and Calipari was on the same Final Four coaching staff together at KU?

I’ll rephrase, in roses one year do you think curry was better than him that year?

I think Rose was the best player in the nation and it wasn’t even close, but just my opinion.

I agree. Just like in college no one thought curry was even remotely on the same level of Derrick Rose.

Ja morant drafted 2nd from Murray state so don’t give me curry wasn’t the top pick bc of where he played.

And no shit anyone would take curry now, hindsight is always 20/20.

Who is all this talent Memphis has besides Memphis??? Bc none of them has more than a cup of coffee in the nba. Rose WAS the talent.
Here is the thing. People were wrong by not thinking curry was at Rose’s level when he certainly was. Curry could do all the same things with the ball in his hand that rose can on top of being a much better shooter. Bill self at Kansas after the tourney that year old even said curry was the best player they played. Morant was aided in the fact by guys like curry and the dude at Portland coming from small schools. They are looking at them
More.

Here is the thing. People were wrong by not thinking curry was at Rose’s level when he certainly was. Curry could do all the same things with the ball in his hand that rose can on top of being a much better shooter. Bill self at Kansas after the tourney that year old even said curry was the best player they played. Morant was aided in the fact by guys like curry and the dude at Portland coming from small schools. They are looking at them
More.

Curry was/is a better shooter of course. Rose has better handles, was much more athletic and was much better at getting the rim not to mention finishing through contact.

You realize rose won an nba MVP before he got injured and before curry was a household name. Were they in back to back draft classes?

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Curry was/is a better shooter of course. Rose has better handles, was much more athletic and was much better at getting the rim not to mention finishing through contact.

You realize rose won an nba MVP before he got injured and before curry was a household name. Were they in back to back draft classes?
You talk about rose’s injuries but then ignore the fact that curry was not healthy his first 2-3 seasons in the league? I disagree on rose having better handles. Will give you athleticism. Curry was underrated by all accounts. He was the best player in college basketball in 2007-2008. People now see he was and realized he was overlooked. One is going to be a first ballot HOFer. The best shooter of all time. The other I doubt even makes it in the hall...

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
You talk about rose’s injuries but then ignore the fact that curry was not healthy his first 2-3 seasons in the league? I disagree on rose having better handles. Will give you athleticism. Curry was underrated by all accounts. He was the best player in college basketball in 2007-2008. People now see he was and realized he was overlooked. One is going to be a first ballot HOFer. The best shooter of all time. The other I doubt even makes it in the hall...

Which all had 0 to do with their college years.

I’m not saying rose>curry period. I’m saying in roses one year at Memphis he was hands down the best college player in the nation. But we can just agree to disagree at this point, they are very very different players so hard to compare when ones a shooter and the other is a playmaker at the rim.

And tbh I wasn’t even aware curry was injured his first few seasons. But those injuries obv weren’t as catastrophic as the knee injuries rose had in Chicago, that completely derailed his career. But regardless rose will always be one of those what if guys. He stays healthy no doubt in my mind he’s a HOFer as well.

Which all had 0 to do with their college years.

I’m not saying rose>curry period. I’m saying in roses one year at Memphis he was hands down the best college player in the nation. But we can just agree to disagree at this point, they are very very different players so hard to compare when ones a shooter and the other is a playmaker at the rim.

And tbh I wasn’t even aware curry was injured his first few seasons. But those injuries obv weren’t as catastrophic as the knee injuries rose had in Chicago, that completely derailed his career. But regardless rose will always be one of those what if guys. He stays healthy no doubt in my mind he’s a HOFer as well.
It’s not hands down for that one year though if you look at them. Most would say they know that curry obviously got overlooked now. Curry’s play in the Tourney is what elevates him. The only what if I have for rose should be what if he could hit a free throw? I doubt curry misses in that situation. Michael Beasley. You think he was better than Stephen curry to that year? He was more hyped than steph. He went 2nd in the draft.

Reactions: 954gator
Yes I do. micheal Beasley had an amazing college year a Kstate. He was avg like 26 and 14

Last edited:
Beasley averaged more points/game than Curry and played in a real conference.

Just about any coach would have taken Beasley over Curry for that one year.

Reactions: Villian07
curry was overlooked. He was the best player in the country though

Curry was overlooked, and turned out better than any of them in a long shot. And he did have a few amazing tourney performances.

Best player in the country at the time, we can agree to disagree.

It’s easy to say now that Curry was better but during that time period nobody in the country would’ve passed on Rose to take Curry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Villian07
It’s easy to say now that Curry was better but during that time period nobody in the country would’ve passed on Rose to take Curry.
That’s because people are stupid. There is a reason bill self said curry was the best player they played in that tournament

I don’t know what it is about Memphis. I’ve seen more than a few kids in high schools in the Bluff City that made me think that they were can’t miss NBA players...that weren’t. I put Derrick in the Sam Bowie category. Undeniable talent but injuries cut off his potential before it was realized.

Now to Steph. Watched him many times tormenting The Citadel. The Bulldogs had NO ONE who could check him. But he looked like a high school player back then. Skinny, unassuming, and if you thought that he was a team manager getting rewarded by suiting up with the team, that would be plausible.

After the tip tho, that kid became a cold blooded assassin. When Davidson made the tourney and opponents didn’t take the Wildcats seriously, they paid the price. And The Citadel wasn’t the only team that had NO ONE who could check Steph Curry.

Yea I’m not meaning to shit on curry at all, and history has proven he is now a much better player.

But roses one year in college, he was the best player in the nation. If anyone played better it was Beasley at kstate.

And for the bill self quote, maybe he hadn’t played against rose yet??? Or a prisoner in the moment. Again not saying curry wasn’t good, he was, he was amazing. But Again 5 nba gms passed on curry so it’s not like he was a can’t miss top pick.

How do the twolves brass look themselves in the mirror. Drafted not 1 but TWO pgs the two picks ahead of curry. Rubio and Johnny effin Flynn lmao.

Rubio and curry would have been fun to watch, but also probably fun to go against at the defensive end if you are the other team.

Still what a dumbass pick, Flynn was good in college sure, but he wasn’t that damn good. Not to sure what they coulda been thinking.

Last edited:
curry was overlooked. He was the best player in the country though
Easy to say in hindsight, but I think both cases could be argued. Rose was a boss and the only player I remember being Discussed as debatable was Michael beasely.
I think most of us were wrongly assuming Curry would struggle in the league BC of his athleticism. Curry was putting up great numbers though.

If we are talking best college player that year I’d probably go Beasley #1. He was really great that year.

Last edited:
I’ll rephrase, in roses one year do you think curry was better than him that year?

I think Rose was the best player in the nation and it wasn’t even close, but just my opinion.
Better how though? Like NBA prospect? Or just more productive?

It’s not hands down for that one year though if you look at them. Most would say they know that curry obviously got overlooked now. Curry’s play in the Tourney is what elevates him. The only what if I have for rose should be what if he could hit a free throw? I doubt curry misses in that situation. Michael Beasley. You think he was better than Stephen curry to that year? He was more hyped than steph. He went 2nd in the draft.
Beasley was nasty at Kstate.

I question your evaluation skills.

i don’t. It’s pretty clear I have been proven right as well. One is a generational talent. The other has proven to be an average at best nba point guard.

ADVERTISEMENT