ADVERTISEMENT

Is Sharife Cooper the best PG in the country?....

AuHoosier420

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2008
Any other answer besides yes is a incorrect answer to this question.

Don't get me wrong, he's talented. I've seen him a few times. He's clearly made Auburn a much more formidable opponent. At the same time, I'm not taking Cooper over Jared Butler or Jalen Suggs.

I am hoping he keeps getting downplayed. If auburn gets him back next season. Wow. Scoot Henderson may re classify as well. Either paired with jabari smith, cardwell, Flanagan, Powell and Thor. You can basically pencil Auburn in for the final 4.

I am hoping he keeps getting downplayed. If auburn gets him back next season. Wow. Scoot Henderson may re classify as well. Either paired with jabari smith, cardwell, Flanagan, Powell and Thor. You can basically pencil Auburn in for the final 4.

So, if he's not universally praised as the best point guard, you take that as him being downplayed? He's been one of the most talked about players in the past month. No one serious about the game is looking past him. At the same time, I think it's okay to critique his efficiency numbers, especially from the perimeter. He has an effective field goal percentage of 42.6%, which is well below average.

FWIW, Cooper will almost certainly be a OAD. Without looking at the stats, I'm about 99.9% certain that no P6 freshmen, from the past 10 years or so, has averaged 20ppg and returned for their sophomore year.

So, if he's not universally praised as the best point guard, you take that as him being downplayed? He's been one of the most talked about players in the past month. No one serious about the game is looking past him. At the same time, I think it's okay to critique his efficiency numbers, especially from the perimeter. He has an effective field goal percentage of 42.6%, which is well below average.

FWIW, Cooper will almost certainly be a OAD. Without looking at the stats, I'm about 99.9% certain that no P6 freshmen, from the past 10 years or so, has averaged 20ppg and returned for their sophomore year.

coopers dad is an agent and comes from money though. Plus missed half the season due to ncaa being ridiculous. Cooper loves auburn. He couldof just left when the ncaa pulled there bs. But he didn’t. He is also close with jabari. I think there is a better than 50 percent chance he is back. As you said needs to work on his jump set and defense a bit.

Reactions: Jaycg15
He's shooting less than 20% from 3pt and an efg under 45%. He's very talented, but let's chill with the stupid.

coopers dad is an agent and comes from money though. Plus missed half the season due to ncaa being ridiculous. Cooper loves auburn. He couldof just left when the ncaa pulled there bs. But he didn’t. He is also close with jabari. I think there is a better than 50 percent chance he is back. As you said needs to work on his jump set and defense a bit.

Let me get this straight. You think the best point guard in the country is Sharife Cooper. But, you also think there's more than a 50% chance that he returns? When was the last time the best point guard in the country was a freshmen, who also returned for their sophomore season?

Let me get this straight. You think the best point guard in the country is Sharife Cooper. But, you also think there's more than a 50% chance that he returns? When was the last time the best point guard in the country was a freshmen, who also returned for their sophomore season?

when is the last time a stud came from a wealthy background and didn’t have to in a hurry for money?
steph curry was the best player in the country in 2007-2008 and came back the next season. He also came from money. Not just best point guard. Best player. Yes he was better than Derrick rose. The nba careers have shown it.

Reactions: GhostVol
when is the last time a stud came from a wealthy background and didn’t have to in a hurry for money?
steph curry was the best player in the country in 2007-2008 and came back the next season. He also came from money. Not just best point guard. Best player. Yes he was better than Derrick rose. The nba careers have shown it.

First of all, Curry wasn't a freshmen in 2008. He would have been a first round pick had he come out, though. Nobody sticks around for another year now, if they're guaranteed as a first rounder. And Curry wasn't even the point guard at Davidson in 2008. His teammate, Jason Richards, led the nation in assists. Curry was playing off the ball.

First of all, Curry wasn't a freshmen in 2008. He would have been a first round pick had he come out, though. Nobody sticks around for another year now, if they're guaranteed as a first rounder. And Curry wasn't even the point guard at Davidson in 2008. His teammate, Jason Richards, led the nation in assists. Curry was playing off the ball.

cooper is likely picked in the mid to late first round now. He is a top ten pick in 2022 if he comes back. He would be an all American and a top candidate for the Naismith if he does come back. Again he does not have to be in a hurry for money.

He isn't the best statistically, but Barnes is really rounding into form for us. He is active on the defensive end, and he has so many tools offensively. If he was a little more fluid on his jumper then he'd basically be unstoppable. But he is bullying people when he gets into the paint.

Lmao Derrick Rose was the best player in college his line year BY A LONG SHOT.

Their nba careers proved Derrick Rose could not stay healthy. Besides that’s totally irrelevant.

Donovan Mitchell was the best rookie in his class, would have easily had ROY if not for the rule allowing Simmons to win it in his second year. And Mitchell was no where near the best player in the NCAA his final year. What you do in the Nba doesn’t matter when it comes to what u did in college.

cooper is likely picked in the mid to late first round now. He is a top ten pick in 2022 if he comes back. He would be an all American and a top candidate for the Naismith if he does come back. Again he does not have to be in a hurry for money.

Why couldn’t he go top 10 this year. It’s not like their are stud frosh everywhere just tearing it up like a normal year. Some have really underperformed their preseason hype like Boston Clark(hurt) jalen johnson on and on.

Their nba careers proved Derrick Rose could not stay healthy. Besides that’s totally irrelevant.

Donovan Mitchell was the best rookie in his class, would have easily had ROY if not for the rule allowing Simmons to win it in his second year. And Mitchell was no where near the best player in the NCAA his final year. What you do in the Nba doesn’t matter when it comes to what u did in college.
I've been reading your post and I understand your angle, but that's not totally true. Players do develop in college. Even just a year. Anthony Davis was a better player at the end of the season than he was at the beginning and the UL homers were saying he was overrated and not worth the 250K.

I've been reading your post and I understand your angle, but that's not totally true. Players do develop in college. Even just a year. Anthony Davis was a better player at the end of the season than he was at the beginning and the UL homers were saying he was overrated and not worth the 250K.

Of all the posts I’ve made regarding the subject I’m not sure why this one was the one you responded to with this. I was arguing jsut bc Steph is amazing now doesn’t mean he was better than Rose in college.

But I agree with you to a point, some freshman get better, as they become more used to the speed of the game and the size of the other teams, get a better grasp of their own role and gameplan, but it’s not exactly black and white. Maxey arguably played his best game of the season game 1 vs sparty. Not sure he ever looked better, and had covid ended the season after the first game he might have been a top 10 pick, Kid looked unreal. Keldon Johnson was better the first half of his freshmen season than the last. Transversely on the same team, Herro started off slow and really came on strong the last half of the season. Now am I to believe herro couldn’t play or couldn’t shoot at the begging of the year and improved that during the year? I lean toward he just had a few bad games adjusting to college ball. I don’t equate a player having a bad game one night out then a great game the next as him developing something in a week or even a month. Players have bad games sometimes

Theoretically EVERY player should get better the more games they play, even nba stars are constantly honing their game. Not exactly a science to it imo, just hard work and god given talent as I’ve mentioned before.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichardMassive
Of all the posts I’ve made regarding the subject I’m not sure why this one was the one you responded to with this. I was arguing jsut bc Steph is amazing now doesn’t mean he was better than Rose in college.

But I agree with you to a point, some freshman get better, as they become more used to the speed of the game and the size of the other teams, get a better grasp of their own role and gameplan, but it’s not exactly black and white. Maxey arguably played his best game of the season game 1 vs sparty. Kid looked unreal. Keldon Johnson was better the first half of his freshmen season than the last. Transversely on the same team, Herro started off slow and really came on strong the last half of the season. Now am I to believe herro couldn’t play or couldn’t shoot at the begging game of the year and improved that during the year? I lean toward he just had a few bad games adjusting to college ball.

Theoretically EVERY player should get better the more games they play, some just moreso than others. Not exactly a science to it imo.
Theoretically "every" player should, but they don't. I responded to this post b/c you seem to keep making the same flawed point.

I get you want to play devils advocate with your rival. I really do, but sometimes, I feel like, you're not seeing the forest for the trees.

HOF coaches like Williams, K, Calipari, know what they're doing with development. To undermine that seems silly and petty. Would Williamson and Davis be successful w/o it, sure, did they learn a lot from a HOF coach, absolutely.

Some of your points make it seem as though they could have went anywhere and had the same coaching, I disagree.

It's not a coincidence UK players are doing well in the NBA. It didn't stop with just being recruited by them.

Not had the same coaching, but still be aN amazing player with an amazing career. How did guys like Kobe/Lebron/Garnett become some of the best ever without any kind of college coaching. Forget another college, guys that talented would be good if they skipped college. You really think if ad or zion weren’t forced to go to college they wouldn’t be just as good as they are now?

I agree that college coaches develop players, I just think you put wayyyy to much stock into how much that actually plays a part in that players nba career. Esp when said development/coaching is only for 6-8 months.

i am taking curry every day of the week over rose in college and pro. Put Steph on that Memphis team and they blow Kansas out. Rose can’t shoot the ball worth a shit. Couldn’t in college or now...

• Haha
Theoretically "every" player should, but they don't. I responded to this post b/c you seem to keep making the same flawed point.

I get you want to play devils advocate with your rival. I really do, but sometimes, I feel like, you're not seeing the forest for the trees.

HOF coaches like Williams, K, Calipari, know what they're doing with development. To undermine that seems silly and petty. Would Williamson and Davis be successful w/o it, sure, did they learn a lot from a HOF coach, absolutely.

Some of your points make it seem as though they could have went anywhere and had the same coaching, I disagree.

It's not a coincidence UK players are doing well in the NBA. It didn't stop with just being recruited by them.

Then why aren’t ALL Kentucky players doing well in the nba? Why didn’t marquis teague do well? He played with AD, was at the same “developmental” practices as Ad. Even better why didn’t MKG do well in the nba. Number 2 draft pick should be getting max $$ by now?

i am taking curry every day of the week over rose in college and pro. Put Steph on that Memphis team and they blow Kansas out. Rose can’t shoot the ball worth a shit. Couldn’t in college or now...

Why wasn’t curry the first pick in his draft then if he woulda went over Rose the year before.

Did curry win the Naismith or national POY in roses one year in college?

It’s easy to forget just how good Rose was in college, he was like John wall on steroids.

Then why aren’t ALL Kentucky players doing well in the nba? Why didn’t marquis teague do well? He played with AD, was at the same “developmental” practices as Ad. Even better why didn’t MKG do well in the nba. Number 2 draft pick should be getting max $$ by now?
Are you really asking this?

You're using players talent/work ethic/success against others.

Again, it's no coincidence UK is having success in the NBA right now. Calipari has a fine tuned war machine going on, and again, it doesn't stop at recruiting them. If that was the case, to your logic, everyone Calipari recruited should be maxed out.

Why wasn’t curry the first pick in his draft then if he woulda went over Rose the year before.

Did curry win the Naismith or national POY in roses one year in college?

Because of the teams they played for. Mythical hype that was complete bullshit. It’s been Proven to. Give curry the talent Memphis had that year. Rose wouldnr have done shit with that Davidson team. Curry has been over looked all the way up until about 6-7 years ago. There is no one now that thinks rose is even remotely comparable to curry as a player. It’s not even close.

Are you really asking this?

You're using players talent/work ethic/success against others.

Again, it's no coincidence UK is having success in the NBA right now. Calipari has a fine tuned war machine going on, and again, it doesn't stop at recruiting them. If that was the case, to your logic, everyone Calipari recruited should be maxed out.

So those successful players couldn’t possibly have the same work ethic/talent had they not played at UK under cal.

Imo that’s the flaw in your logic. If the development from cal was so important to the success of the ones who are doing well, how come that same development didn’t help all the 5 star burger boys who showed enough to get drafted but aren’t nba superstars. I get guys like quade green and Marcus Lee who were obviously overrated out of school, but guys like mkg and trey lyles were lottery picks out of UK that haven’t had near the success of others, even ones drafted much lower.

De’aaron Fox has a max contract while Malik Monk isn’t even starting for the hornets when they played college ball together. And I’m supposed to believe cal developed fox into a star but dropped the ball with monk. I’m not saying Cals coaching is totally worthless, but at some point It’s on the players.

Plus You mentioned the value of coach Ks coaching a couple posts up and besides zion, duke players have been universally known for underachieving in the nba. And Roy’s most successful teams had very few nba players period.

Because of the teams they played for. Mythical hype that was complete bullshit. It’s been Proven to. Give curry the talent Memphis had that year. Rose wouldnr have done shit with that Davidson team. Curry has been over looked all the way up until about 6-7 years ago. There is no one now that thinks rose is even remotely comparable to curry as a player. It’s not even close.

I agree. Just like in college no one thought curry was even remotely on the same level of Derrick Rose.

Ja morant drafted 2nd from Murray state so don’t give me curry wasn’t the top pick bc of where he played.

And no shit anyone would take curry now, hindsight is always 20/20.

Who is all this talent Memphis has besides Memphis??? Bc none of them has more than a cup of coffee in the nba. Rose WAS the talent.

The twolves (ok terrible example of a competent franchise but still) literally drafted Ricky Rubio and Johnny effin Flynn the two picks before curry came off the board. So to say he was soooooo much better than anyone in college is asinine. Great college career, sure, best college player in the nation....arguable.

So those successful players couldn’t possibly have the same work ethic/talent had they not played at UK under cal.

Imo that’s the flaw in your logic. If the development from cal was so important to the success of the ones who are doing well, how come that same development didn’t help all the 5 star burger boys who showed enough to get drafted but aren’t nba superstars. I get guys like quade green and Marcus Lee who were obviously overrated out of school, but guys like mkg and trey lyles were lottery picks out of UK that haven’t had near the success of others, even ones drafted much lower.

De’aaron Fox has a max contract while Malik Monk isn’t even starting for the hornets when they played college ball together. And I’m supposed to believe cal developed fox into a star but dropped the ball with monk. I’m not saying Cals coaching is totally worthless, but at some point It’s on the players.

Plus You mentioned the value of coach Ks coaching a couple posts up and besides zion, duke players have been universally known for underachieving in the nba. And Roy’s most successful teams had very few nba players period.
I'm not going back and forth on this and I do like reading rivals devil's advocate post about UK.

@lurkeraspect84 why are we having the same argument we’ve had a million times when you, a Memphis man, isn’t backing my rose in college > curry in college.

ADVERTISEMENT