ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time for Boheim to retire?…

Game has completely passed him by it seems

His X’s and O’s are fine; the zone can stop teams with shooters when it has tall athletes.

Recruiting and development has been god awful, though. For the first time in my life Syracuse just doesn’t have the talent or athleticism to win. He wants to keep young guys on the bench while teaching them his way of playing ball but young guys don’t want to wait, so he loses the little talent he does have. Then he ends up relying on transfers. Some are better than others, but they universally don’t know how to play the zone.

It’s a death spiral right now. Something needs to change.

Reactions: duckboy33
His X’s and O’s are fine; the zone can stop teams with shooters when it has tall athletes.

Recruiting and development has been god awful, though. For the first time in my life Syracuse just doesn’t have the talent or athleticism to win. He wants to keep young guys on the bench while teaching them his way of playing ball but young guys don’t want to wait, so he loses the little talent he does have. Then he ends up relying on transfers. Some are better than others, but they universally don’t know how to play the zone.

Lack of Big East.

Yeah. When I watched auburn play Syracuse earlier this season it was the least athletic Syracuse team I thought I had ever seen. Auburn basically did what we wanted offensively in that game.

Reactions: brooky03
IMO high end talent recruits have their eyes on the nba and dont wanna waste the time and effort learning the zone defense. I feel pitino had the same problem when it came to recruiting his latter years bc he played so much match up zone.

but yes to the op

This. I was watching them play the other day thinking about how much I miss the BE. I loved when G’town, St.John’s, Syracuse were absolute battles.
Went to the BE tourney 10 years in a row. Pearl and Ewing going at it. Garden used to rock.

From an outsiders perspective, this seems spot on. I watch Syracuse now and they’re missing the athleticism needed to make that zone scary

Reactions: brooky03
UConn hasnt been the same since they left for the AAC….never accomplished anything there….and now trying to regain some credibility back in the “new” Big East.

^^^^ uconn won a title from the AAC the year after Louisville won the title* from the AAC. I remember bc the year they won it with shabazz we smacked em 3 times during season, home, away, and conf tourney.

Your point remains tho ollies uconn has not been the same as calhouns uconn, needless to say.

Reactions: AUtiger334
^^^^ uconn won a title from the AAC the year after Louisville won the title* from the AAC. I remember bc the year they won it with shabazz we smacked em 3 times during season, home, away, and conf tourney.

Your point remains tho ollies uconn has not been the same as calhouns uconn, needless to say.
Yeah but those teams were just coming out our of the historic big east. Built from recruiting still in big east. The big east just had the split in 2012. Year before Louisville and two years before uconn.

Totally agree, I was just replying to the “havent accomplished anything there” comment.

which ur still right those players mostly started their careers in the big east. I just trhink its more about ollie/calhoun than the conf, imo.

Totally agree, I was just replying to the “havent accomplished anything there” comment.

which ur still right those players mostly started their careers in the big east. I just trhink its more about ollie/calhoun than the conf, imo.
I mean you are a player from New York. Are you getting excited about games now against Tulane, Tulsa, east Carolina, south Florida, etc. as opposed to Villanova, St. John’s, seton hall, providence, etc. Cincy was literally the closest team to uconn and no one else was close. West Virginia has same issue in big 12 now

Benny Williams logging three minutes in a loss to Pitt. If Boeheim hates five stars so much I’m not sure why he recruits them.

ADVERTISEMENT