ADVERTISEMENT

Is CBB Better When Duke is Good Enough to Hate?

Random UK Fan

Dec 10, 2018
Hear me out . . . There seems to be a lot of parity this year, no one team that anybody seems overly impressed with. Now that K is gone, the media certainly seems to have less to fixate on and hype. Even when things are divisive when there’s a “”villian”, I think it’s more interesting than the homgenized theme that seems to be ruling right now.

Is it just me?

Hear me out . . . There seems to be a lot of parity this year, no one team that anybody seems overly impressed with. Now that K is gone, the media certainly seems to have less to fixate on and hype. Even when things are divisive when there’s a “”villian”, I think it’s more interesting than the homgenized theme that seems to be ruling right now.

Is it just me?
It's just you.

Now I have a question. I have seen UK play a couple of times and both times the announcers have stated that Oscar has not practiced. Why are they saying that?

It's just you.

Now I have a question. I have seen UK play a couple of times and both times the announcers have stated that Oscar has not practiced. Why are they saying that?
He was nursing a knee that had a minor procedure. Not really buying that being the issue. When you play like he does and how he does, you know what to do and when to do it. We’re just not great.

He was nursing a knee that had a minor procedure. Not really buying that being the issue. When you play like he does and how he does, you know what to do and when to do it. We’re just not great.
Thanks.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Better for ratings, certainly.

This Duke team is okayish, might be a Sweet 16 team. But, they're not a serious title contender. More likely to get views if you're threatened by a team you desperately want to lose.

You could say the same for Kentucky and North Carolina, though. They draw large crowds - both for and against. Both of those schools have struggled a bit this early season, but wouldn't be shocking to see either team put it together and make a Final Four run.

It feels different when some of the major players this year haven't won a title - Houston, Texas, Purdue, Tennessee. And UConn has won 4 national titles since '99, but they don't seem that hateable. Maybe because they've had a lot of mediocre seasons along the way.

Make hateable teams great again.

Is it just me?

Too early to know who the true villains are.

Reactions: Random UK Fan

This Duke team is okayish, might be a Sweet 16 team. But, they're not a serious title contender. More likely to get views if you're threatened by a team you desperately want to lose.

You could say the same for Kentucky and North Carolina, though. They draw large crowds - both for and against. Both of those schools have struggled a bit this early season, but wouldn't be shocking to see either team put it together and make a Final Four run.

It feels different when some of the major players this year haven't won a title - Houston, Texas, Purdue, Tennessee. And UConn has won 4 national titles since '99, but they don't seem that hateable. Maybe because they've had a lot of mediocre seasons along the way.

giphy.gif

You will see plenty of hate if Tennessee wins it.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
You will see plenty of hate if Tennessee wins it.

Maybe on a small college basketball forum if the average UT fan acts like a world-class douche. But, on the collective landscape, no. Tennessee has never made a Final Four. Tennessee's success won't elicit anywhere in magnitude the hate that a blue blood would.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Maybe on a small college basketball forum if the average UT fan acts like a world-class douche. But, on the collective landscape, no. Tennessee has never made a Final Four. Tennessee's success won't elicit anywhere in magnitude the hate that a blue blood would.
Does arrogance come with being a blue blood or do y'all a have to pass a class for it? Is this a small CBB forum? There will be plenty of hate here if it comes to pass.

There is really no hate towards a blue blood winning it. There was none shown towards KU last year. The hate will come from jealousy from shaking up the usual order of things.

The blue bloods certainly get more hate than other schools. That isn't even debatable. Teams that win, and have won, are always hated (and loved) more than random teams who have a good run or good year.

Does arrogance come with being a blue blood or do y'all a have to pass a class for it? Is this a small CBB forum? There will be plenty of hate here if it comes to pass.

There is really no hate towards a blue blood winning it. There was none shown towards KU last year. The hate will come from jealousy from shaking up the usual order of things.

There was no hate toward KU? You obviously weren’t paying close attention. 😆

lol right.

Why would the average college basketball fan hate it if Tennessee won it all? It's the equivalent of saying people would lose their minds if TCU won the College Football Playoffs. That's great for their program - but people aren't getting riled up if a program with minimal/modest historical success wins it all.

Btw, how are you feeling about your KJ Simpson projection?

Tennessee has a better supporting cast. I would still take Tennessee over Colorado in a rematch. But for individual talent, no. Give me Simpson.

Great, we can circle back to this thread and see if Simpson out performed the individual Vols or not.

lol right.

Why would the average college basketball fan hate it if Tennessee won it all? It's the equivalent of saying people would lose their minds if TCU won the College Football Playoffs. That's great for their program - but people aren't getting riled up if a program with minimal/modest historical success wins it all.

Btw, how are you feeling about your KJ Simpson projection?
You can't equate CFF and CBB. CFB teams don't beam with pride over making the playoffs. You either win the title or you lose it. Completely different.

I asked you about this board and you failed to respond. There would be many blue fans and a lot of hate.

The season isn't over, so your gloating is premature regarding Simpson/Key.

You can't equate CFF and CBB. CFB teams don't beam with pride over making the playoffs. You either win the title or you lose it. Completely different.

I asked you about this board and you failed to respond. There would be many blue fans and a lot of hate.

Do you not think this is a very small basketball board?

I don’t get what your point is. Yes, there would be a few Kentucky fans that would hate on Tennessee because they’re a rival and because you’ve talked constant trash. So what? Outside of that, no one would be bothered.

When KU won, the first article I saw was essentially “Don’t forget that they’re under investigation for several major infractions!” Fans crawled out of the woodwork on social media and forums to spew hate.

And when KU was the favorite in 2020 before the tourney was cancelled, the media was already preparing an asterisk in case they won.

KU’s probably been hated on way more than any recent champ. It’s laughable to think that Tennessee would elicit anything close.

I don’t get what your point is. Yes, there would be a few Kentucky fans that would hate on Tennessee because they’re a rival and because you’ve talked constant trash. So what? Outside of that, no one would be bothered.

When KU won, the first article I saw was essentially “Don’t forget that they’re under investigation for several major infractions!” Fans crawled out of the woodwork on social media and forums to spew hate.

And when KU was the favorite in 2020 before the tourney was cancelled, the media was already preparing an asterisk in case they won.

KU’s probably been hated on way more than any recent champ. It’s laughable to think that Tennessee would elicit anything close.
I haven't talked trash about UK. I'm shocked you would say such a thing. I'm on record of high praise for Calipari and have acknowledged their rich past.

In the rare instances I mention UT or Barnes, I don't bring up UK, but I will defend them against the inevitable attacks by UK fans. That's not talking trash. It is just defending your team.

I didn't see any KU bashing and I know I wasn't part of it.

I haven't talked trash about UK. I'm shocked you would say such a thing. I'm on record of high praise for Calipari and have acknowledged their rich past.

In the rare instances I mention UT or Barnes, I don't bring up UK, but I will defend them against the inevitable attacks by UK fans. That's not talking trash. It is just defending your team.

I didn't see any KU bashing and I know I wasn't part of it.

KU and Self have drawn constant hate from people who don’t understand or acknowledge the nature of college recruiting over the past 70 years, and it ramped up 1000% after the title. It just may not be as evident on this board. This place doesn’t necessarily represent the common opinions of the fanbases. Most of the Kentucky fans here are much more level-headed than what you see on their home boards for example (and/or they hold back because they have friends in other fanbases here). Go to Rupp Rafters and you’ll see about 5 threads spewing venomous hate toward KU on the first page. Before the title, after, year round.

And like I said, even the national media has taken a lot of shots.

As for not talking trash on Kentucky…😆

girl-sure-jan.gif

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde and della
To be fair, the only reason people on this board would care about Tennessee (outside of UK fans) is because of the loud UT fans a few years ago who were so annoying. I have no issues with it as any influx that creates traffic is welcome, but that's the reason.

To be fair, the only reason people on this board would care about Tennessee (outside of UK fans) is because of the loud UT fans a few years ago who were so annoying. I have no issues with it as any influx that creates traffic is welcome, but that's the reason.
Well, bandwagon fans are not the best fans regardless of who they support. They are not true fans in the fact they don't support the team at all times.

Well, bandwagon fans are not the best fans regardless of who they support. They are not true fans in the fact they don't support the team at all times.

I'm not sure they were bandwagon fans. Anyway, you seem to want to hyperfocus on this board for this discussion. The point is annoying UT fans created animosity towards them. So it's a little odd to then turn that around to people caring about them winning/losing.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
This is particularly hurtful coming from you. I can only assume you are kidding.

Hey, I was considered the board Kentucky hater until you came along. Nothing wrong with giving them a little shit. SmokinSmile

In both instances, I said if those respective schools, Tennessee and TCU, won it all. Collectively speaking, it's not a huge deal in terms of hate/jealously. Certainly not in the same stratosphere as a blue blood. That is objectively true.

And yes, this is a small board. What do we have here? 50 or 60 regulars?

Tennessee is really, really good this year. You have a nice collective bunch of players. You have bigger and better things to worry about. Legit Final Four contender. Still, I have zero confidence that Key will have a better individual season than Simpson. I doubt you could find any college basketball pundit that disagrees with me on that.

simpson-key.jpg

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
I'm not sure they were bandwagon fans. Anyway, you seem to want to hyperfocus on this board for this discussion. The point is annoying UT fans created animosity towards them. So it's a little odd to then turn that around to people caring about them winning/losing.
You want to exaggerate using the term hyperfocus, sounds like some kind of military weapon. I'm taking about this board because it is something we are both familiar with.

Well, I suppose I am able to recognize a fair weather fan better than you are able to. Hint, fair weather fans are only around in fair weather.

Hey, I was considered the board Kentucky hater until you came along. Nothing wrong with giving them a little shit. SmokinSmile
You may be unaware of this, but I have been here a long minute.

You want to exaggerate using the term hyperfocus, sounds like some kind of military weapon. I'm taking about this board because it is something we are both familiar with.

Well, I suppose I am able to recognize a fair weather fan better than you are able to. Hint, fair weather fans are only around in fair weather.

Just because one only posts on a small public board when their team is winning doesn't make them a fair weather fan (even though you originally said band wagon and there is a difference) to me. Someone who pulls for Tennessee probably always pulls for them. They just may not run their mouth unless the team is winning.

In both instances, I said if those respective schools, Tennessee and TCU, won it all. Collectively speaking, it's not a huge deal in terms of hate/jealously. Certainly not in the same stratosphere as a blue blood. That is objectively true.

And yes, this is a small board. What do we have here? 50 or 60 regulars?

Tennessee is really, really good this year. You have a nice collective bunch of players. You have bigger and better things to worry about. Legit Final Four contender. Still, I have zero confidence that Key will have a better individual season than Simpson. I doubt you could find any college basketball pundit that disagrees with me on that.

simpson-key.jpg
I disagree, the idea of Duke or UNC winning it all is distasteful to the loser, but it is not a precedent. It would not be an agreeable taste, but it would not be the shocking taste to UK fans if UT won it all.

I see you decided to double down on your gloat. I am starting to see why Duke fans are not the life of the party among their contemporaries. Having said that, the season is just starting the meat of the schedule at the 1/3 point. So, we will see.

Last edited:
Just because one only posts on a small public board when their team is winning doesn't make them a fair weather fan (even though you originally said band wagon and there is a difference) to me. Someone who pulls for Tennessee probably always pulls for them. They just may not run their mouth unless the team is winning.
I suppose you need to explain the difference in yours eye, cause I see none.

I think it is safe to say I'm a dyed in the Orange wool UT fan, cause I run my mouth all the time. This holds true for CFB too. Save for the present year, it has been a ponderously long 20 years.

I suppose you need to explain the difference in yours eye, cause I see none.

I think it is safe to say I'm a dyed in the Orange wool UT fan, cause I run my mouth all the time. This holds true for CFB too. Save for the present year, it has been a ponderously long 20 years.

Band wagon fans jump teams. Fair weather only show up when THEIR team is doing well. It isn't really a 'in my eyes' type deal.

Looking at your preceding post here, you really think UK fans would be more upset if UT won it than if UNC won it? I have a hard time believing that as important as legacy and history is to them. But that is still narrowing your argument to one fanbase. You seem to keep narrowing things to fit what is simply a bad argument.

Isn't that true if you include any other team to the equation?

What's likely to generate more hate? Alabama winning a title - or TCU? The same is true in basketball. People hate seeing the top dog win again. That's normal. If you get mad about a team finally breaking through, that's kind of weird.

And imagine talking smack to Kentucky fans if you did win it all. You think it's going to hurt their feelings much? They might respond and say something like, "Oh cool, so how many centuries before you win 8 national titles?"

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT