ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana/Louisville series close...

IUfanBorden

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2011
Team
Indiana
Rick Pitino has announced that UL and IU are close to starting an annual serfies. First gaMe @ Bankers Life, where theydx split 10,500 tk. Or @ Lucas Oil. Wherew teams would split 35,000. Sec@ond year @ IU. Third @ UL.

LOOKING FORWARD to this.

lol the same deal Cal wanted, that your AD agreed to, and then Crean nuked because he's an egotistical a-hole.

I'll watch all of the games. They should be really good.

Originally posted by That MGH Guy:
lol the same deal Cal wanted, that your AD agreed to, and then Crean nuked because he's an egotistical a-hole.

Do you have CBSSN[/I]?
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I think Louisville Indiana and Kentucky needs to all play each other every year.

That cal and crean ego fest really takes away from the fans which is unfair.

MGH:

No itsz not the saMe exact deal. UK only wAnted a two year deal. This one is for THREE.

IU wanted a home/home, along with two neutral site games. Kentu@cky didn't want that.

But aside from that^^^^. Yeah, pretty much the same deal.

How did I know it would only taKe a post or two to turn this into a UK/IU thing? Exactly wh I was hesitant to post.

I like IU's chances next year. The two years after, there is potential for Top 10 clashes. Maybe. Lots of ifs for both programs to go with that but possible.

As Borden said, pretty much isn't the same deal that Cal wanted.

I like IU's chances next year. The two years after, there is potential for Top 10 clashes. Maybe. Lots of ifs for both programs to go with that but possible.

Lets not make it about UK but like the rest said you're wrong. Cal wanted just Neutral site games 2 indy or indy/lou. Glass tried a 4 game series of 2 Indy, Lexington, Bloomington but Cal didn't want to.

Reactions: Yambi
Natural geographic rivalry that should always be played. Did I hear Pitino correctly that he wants to split 70,000 tickets in Lucas Oil Stadium? Wiki says it does seat 70K for basketball, and will be the site of this year's Final Four.

Tom Crean quotes:

"We couldn't have gotten our students up there," said Crean. "Prices would have been too much to get them there. We will have around 8,500 students. 

"The bottom line is that they didn't want to play home-and-home and we did. We looked at it hard but it belongs on campus."

Originally posted by Steelers2012:
Natural geographic rivalry that should always be played. Did I hear Pitino correctly that he wants to split 70,000 tickets in Lucas Oil Stadium? Wiki says it does seat 70K for basketball, and will be the site of this year's Final Four.
Tickets would have to be dirt cheap. Not a knock on your fan base (this time), but there are stark differences between a game between Louisville and Indiana, and the Final Four. Not that you drew comparisons between the two events, but comparisons have to be made when you're trying to sell 70,000 tickets for both events.

Louisville vs Indiana will be a non-conference season game, between two teams and thus, two fan bases.
Final Four is the two final games of the year, it's in the post-season, and there are four teams and fan-bases there. The Final Four also receives a ton of media attention.

Also, the cost for the two schools to rent Lucas Oil Stadium would hit their check books pretty hard. No school has to pay for making it to the Final Four, they get paid a ton though, all of that neat stuff is paid for by the NCAA.

It could be a very neat idea, or financially, it could be a bad idea.

Originally posted by Rhavicc:

Originally posted by Steelers2012:

Tickets would have to be dirt cheap. Not a knock on your fan base (this time), but there are stark differences between a game between Louisville and Indiana, and the Final Four. Not that you drew comparisons between the two events, but comparisons have to be made when you're trying to sell 70,000 tickets for both events.

Louisville vs Indiana will be a non-conference season game, between two teams and thus, two fan bases.
Final Four is the two final games of the year, it's in the post-season, and there are four teams and fan-bases there. The Final Four also receives a ton of media attention.

Also, the cost for the two schools to rent Lucas Oil Stadium would hit their check books pretty hard. No school has to pay for making it to the Final Four, they get paid a ton though, all of that neat stuff is paid for by the NCAA.

No offense taken (this time). I have to agree with everything you said. In order to sell 70K tickets you would have to offer a pretty cheap price for the poorer seats. IMO, I don't think enough people will be willing to pay a premium price for a non-conference, non-tournament game in a too large environment. I've never been to LOS, but I have to imagine there would be plenty of not-so-great seats to try to see a basketball game.

Originally posted by Rhavicc:

I know this thread could get ugly, so let me preface by saying I'm not trolling either side and not interested in the Cal/ Crean
disagreement. Could they legitimately fill 70k seats for this event? I just don't see it, but maybe. I think IU fans would dominate
the crowd if IU is trending upward by then. Talk about a rabid fan base.

Originally posted by Da_Bull:

Lets not make it about UK but like the rest said you're wrong. Cal wanted just Neutral site games 2 indy or indy/lou. Glass tried a 4 game series of 2 Indy, Lexington, Bloomington but Cal didn't want to.
Now everyone is happy. Indiana now has a good OOC game and UK never has to go to Bloomington again.

70k seats for UofL and IU is a pipe dream...

UK and MSU had 78k in 2003(?) and at the time it was the most people ever at a basketball game....78k attended the national title game last season

UofL appears like they are taking a step back next season and I have no idea how IU is going to be next year if Yogi and Blackmon bail on them

I'd be shocked if it cracked 40k tbh

Originally posted by manu1433:

UK and MSU had 78k in 2003(?) and at the time it was the most people ever at a basketball game....78k attended the national title game last season

UofL appears like they are taking a step back next season and I have no idea how IU is going to be next year if Yogi and Blackmon bail on them

Agreed. I don't really see the attendance getting about 50k. It would be awesome, but as you said its a re-building year for us, so who knows what will happen. I'd be psyched to see it hit 70k, I just don't see it happening.

One hell of a pipe dream i might add.

How many tickets were sold earlier in the season with uk/ucla/osu/unc, wasnt it there?

Originally posted by LockdownCard:

One hell of a pipe dream i might add.

How many tickets were sold earlier in the season with uk/ucla/osu/unc, wasnt it there?
We played UCLA in Chicago. It would take a UK/Duke or UK/IU game to sell out Lucas Oil.

I doubt the game is @ Lucas. That's why Rick said, "Or Bankers Life". Which to me would make more sense. Because I don't care if Indiana and UL were 1 and 2 next year, their not selling 70K seats.

Lol, 3 yr instead of 2, totally different. Uk/IU played for 20 yrs, not like they wldnt extend after 2. Unc is 2 yr, and they always renew. I just know uk said they would play in Indianapolis every yr. I guess the difference is uk didn't want to play home/home so your correct on that part, but we already play not only uofl home and home but unc, that's where you lost out.

This would have happened in 2013 when IU and UofL were preseason 1 or 2, but Crean saw the writing on the wall and backed out. Pitino was pushing for it to be a road game.

Don....Pi:

"This could've happened in 2013, but Crean saw the writing on the wall, and backed out".

If that writing was a possible home and home vs KU, then your right. If not, well you're wrong.

Brassow:

Boy you guys have to always be in the convo. So whT if the UNC deal is 2 yeArs. Its not what IU wanted. And if so confident the seriesz would've been renewed aFter 2, then why not save some time, and agree to four?

Anyways....this agreement is nothing close to what UK offered. Why is it so important to UK fans to make it sound like it is?

Kentucky didn't want a home/home.

Kentucky didn't want a contract over two years.

UL/IU have agreed, in principal, to a THREE year series.

Which includes one neutral site game, then a home and home.

Yeah, thatsz the same.

Originally posted by UKBrassowTipIN:
Lol, 3 yr instead of 2, totally different. Uk/IU played for 20 yrs, not like they wldnt extend after 2. Unc is 2 yr, and they always renew. I just know uk said they would play in Indianapolis every yr. I guess the difference is uk didn't want to play home/home so your correct on that part, but we already play not only uofl home and home but unc, that's where you lost out.
26cc42181dd927ad88626fd16c60956e01e558f6454c8f08a4102fba0bfcca03.jpg

Reactions: Yambi
Yes. But don't you play this year?
This year, as in 2020/21?Laughing....I don't think we do. I know we play in Maui....Butler...Gavit Ganes....ACC/Big 10 Challenge. Not sure abut UL. I guess we could play them in the challenge.

Reactions: Yellow Man
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT