ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana/Kentucky: Its time to get this game back...

I never agreed only National Titles make for a great season. 2015 UK set all sorts of historical records in a clearly great season.

IMO UT is UK's main SEC rival all-time but it isn't much of a rivalry as results show its mostly been one sided outside of a few games here or there. UF had a good run, Arkansas had a good run, even Vandy had a small window of success. They aren't rivals.

IMO KU is more of a "current rival" due to they had recent success against UK, threaten UK in historical records and always a threat to do something in the postseason and not just some regular season johnnies. But again, JMO
You can try. Just don't fall back to obscurity this time. Be here to stay.

Been saying this forever! We’ve seen other SEC teams have a good couple of year runs and their fans come screaming “New kings of the SEC” only to fall back to the bottom of the basement. Has UT been decent the last couple years? Yes! But Florida, Arkansas and a few other teams have done the same thing in the past and then disappeared into the mist! At least UF And Arkansas won a title or two!

As far as UK rivals go for me....

1. UL (No two teams/fans hate each other more)

2. IU (The 90’s games was that good, The two 2012 games)
3. Duke! (78, 92 and 98 games)
4. UT (boarder war)
5. KU (do I even have to say anything)

….when you have to resort to timeframing...you've lost the argument.
Not when you're considering relevance. Princeton has 11 CFB titles, Yale has 15 or 16 titles. Are they Blue bloods?

Last edited:
No doubt and I agree. I just never think of KU and Mizzo when I think rivalry.

As far as UK and IU I miss the game. People can say UNc/Duke and UK/UL all they want but the games between UK/IU in the 90’s was f**king amazing!

Pitino VS. Knight
Blue VS. Red
Mashburn VS. Cheaney
Ford VS. Bailey

Watching Mashburn and Cheaney go after each other was nothing short of amazing!
I think it was 1993....UK won 81-78. Of the 159 points scored in that game, 116 were scored by just for players:
Mashburn and Ford with 29
Cheaney and Nover with 29

I do not consider the Dodgers/Yankees a rivalry. "Historians" is a term used to describe a person who studies the past. Rome and Troy use to be big rivals, historians have written about it. But, it ain't a rivalry anymore.

Since you have chosen to lash out at me with CFB, I suppose it is incumbent upon me to wish you Hoosiers my condolences for the way UT snuffed out the candle of IU's rise to prominence. 😢
Okie, doke...But, ummmm, those same historians are the ones who study, well, rivalries such as, UK/UT, etc, etc...But I get it. I think. Bama and UK have owned Tenn...Maybe you should pick another rival---Whats Vandy up to? Laughing

Okie, doke...But, ummmm, those same historians are the ones who study, well, rivalries such as, UK/UT, etc, etc...But I get it. I think. Bama and UK have owned Tenn...Maybe you should pick another rival---Whats Vandy up to? Laughing
How about Indiana? We were able to kick y'all's ass as recently as Jan 2020.

We won recently, Check for me
We have only played twice (Vols winning both), but you don't care about number of games played, so check there.
Looks like we both have a new rival !SmokinSmile

How about Indiana? We were able to kick y'all's ass as recently as Jan 2020.

We won recently, Check for me
We have only played twice (Vols winning both), but you don't care about number of games played, so check there.
Looks like we both have a new rival !SmokinSmile
Congrats on beating Indiana, by one----who's a perennial CFB doormat. Laughing Even then,it took a total implosion by IU for that to happen...

Wow----times must be rough in Rocky Top when you are boasting about beating Indiana in football..RollLaugh

I've heard rumors that Tenn is thought of as the new UL ....... that Fulmer is the new Jurich, anything goe$$$ .

Congrats on beating Indiana, by one----who's a perennial CFB doormat. Laughing Even then,it took a total implosion by IU for that to happen...

Wow----times must be rough in Rocky Top when you are boasting about beating Indiana in football..RollLaugh
There are W's and L's and that is all. It doesn't matter how much you beat them as long as they get their ass beat. I would think as an IU fan that lesson will already be drilled into you by now.

So, CFB rival you ready for the B1G schedule?

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
There are W's and L's and that is all. It doesn't matter how much you beat them as long as they get their ass beat. I would think as an IU fan that lesson will already be drilled into you by now.

Alabama agree's with you..... Winking

I was looking forward to the season...Felt IU had a chance to be pretty good. Still could be. But only playing 9 games, with 4 of those being Michigan,Penn State, Wisconsin and Ohio State, kind of takes some shine off of things,.I guess the good news is, we get Michigan and PSU at home....

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
It's always fun whipping out UK's long dong of banners. Winking
oozebaloney.gif

The idea that UK needs IU on it's schedule is absolutely laughable.

If playing UK were so important to IU, then why didn't Crean and Indiana agree to UK's offer?
If we need the game so much more than you guys, I don't understand why it is always the IU admin and fanbase crying about us not playing anymore and never the UK admin or fans?

Unlike UK, Indiana doesn't need to line up "marquee" OOC games...We actually play in a conference that goes beyond 2 or 3 teams....Truth to be told, Bert, UK needs marquee OOC games a lot more than IU....And especially when it comes to home games...
SEC seems to be doing a better job getting UK ready for the post season that the BIG has done for IU (or any B1G team for that matter). I might have given this statement a pass if you played in a conference that had actually produced a champion in the last 20 years . Congrats on playing in a conference of 'almost good enough', I guess?

Edit: Oh, and UT sucks.

The idea that UK needs IU on it's schedule is absolutely laughable.

If we need the game so much more than you guys, I don't understand why it is always the IU admin and fanbase crying about us not playing anymore and never the UK admin or fans?

SEC seems to be doing a better job getting UK ready for the post season that the BIG has done for IU (or any B1G team for that matter). I might have given this statement a pass if you played in a conference that had actually produced a champion in the last 20 years . Congrats on playing in a conference of 'almost good enough', I guess?

Edit: Oh, and UT sucks.
Oh, boy......First off, no from IU has brought up the series, unless asked....IU administration isn't calling UK, and asking to play...AS much as I am sure you;d like to think this---its simply not true.

What does not producing a champion have to do with how good a conference is?

LAMO at the SEC getting UK ready for the NCAAT. Naaaah, that would be Calipari. And well, all that talent getting better. It ain't got shit to do with a conference that's pretty much ran by two teams: UK and Florida. Though South Carolina did make that run in 2017 as a 7-seed. Big hasn't had a title winner since 2000---MSU. But they have had like 5 different teams play for a title since---Runner-up like 4 times...SEC has had UK/Florida.

BTW, why didn't that vicious SEC have UK ready for the Big 10 in 2015?SmokinSmile

Oh, boy......First off, no from IU has brought up the series, unless asked....IU administration isn't calling UK, and asking to play...AS much as I am sure you;d like to think this---its simply not true.

What does not producing a champion have to do with how good a conference is?

LAMO at the SEC getting UK ready for the NCAAT. Naaaah, that would be Calipari. And well, all that talent getting better. It ain't got shit to do with a conference that's pretty much ran by two teams: UK and Florida. Though South Carolina did make that run in 2017 as a 7-seed. Big hasn't had a title winner since 2000---MSU. But they have had like 5 different teams play for a title since---Runner-up like 4 times...SEC has had UK/Florida.

BTW, why didn't that vicious SEC have UK ready for the Big 10 in 2015?SmokinSmile

*cough*OP*cough*

Oh you meant the school. Wasn't there recently.....nvm.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I think it was 1993....UK won 81-78. Of the 159 points scored in that game, 116 were scored by just for players:
Mashburn and Ford with 29
Cheaney and Nover with 29

Awesome games back then! I have most of them on DVD.

Oh, you mean year 15 of your conference still not winning shit? SmokinSmile

Hell, we can take it back to 1990 and your conference still only has 1 title. The "mighty" B1G. RollLaugh

Last edited:

Glad you feel that way. UK 156, UT 74.

Not when you're considering relevance. Princeton has 11 CFB titles, Yale has 15 or 16 titles. Are they Blue bloods?
difference between us and them is that UK continues to dominate 4 titles 10+ final fours etc etc since then.

Glad you feel that way. UK 156, UT 74.
I think I have been fairly consistent on stating recent games are what matter regarding rivalries. Historians write about the past. Sports writers write about the present and future.

I think I have been fairly consistent on stating recent games are what matter regarding rivalries. Historians write about the past. Sports writers write about the present and future.
so can we remove 50 of Tennessee's wins from back then? because everyone knows college basketball didn’t exist until 2015

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Tennessee is getting a lot of attention in basketball this year. Some sources think that they will be a top ten team.

Maybe this year they will be able to get closer to UK and not finish three or four games behind them this year.
Maybe, but more then likely UT will kick UK's ass and you'll pitch another fit on here.

You have and we all know why! It’s because UT’s been decent in that time frame. You give other fans with a rich history in basketball hell because their proud of their tradition but that’s because UT has no history. If UT had UK’s, UNc’s or Dukes history you would be just as proud as anyone else.

How does a rivalry even exist if there is no history? That seems counter to what rivalries actually are?

How does a rivalry even exist if there is no history? That seems counter to what rivalries actually are?
Kentucky and Tennessee have no rivalry other than we've played them more than anyone else and vice versa. So the history is there for the series and Kentucky, just not for Tennessee alone. They are usually pretty far down my list of must win games each year.

You have and we all know why! It’s because UT’s been decent in that time frame. You give other fans with a rich history in basketball hell because their proud of their tradition but that’s because UT has no history. If UT had UK’s, UNc’s or Dukes history you would be just as proud as anyone else.
That's not true Scotty, I give them hell when they use it as a crutch.

History is a relative term. The last game your team played is history. Recent history is more relevant to today than ancient history.

However, the most critical part of having a rival is playing games. It is very difficult to have a rival and never play them.

History is a relative term. The last game your team played is history. Recent history is more relevant to today than ancient history.

However, the most critical part of having a rival is playing games. It is very difficult to have a rival and never play them.

History matters. Always has always will.

So, if a team never plays a certain other team there's no rivalry? Can't disagree :rolleyes:

History matters. Always has always will.

So, if a team never plays a certain other team there's no rivalry? Can't disagree :rolleyes:

5 years and further back have no bearing on a team going into this season. It also has no bearing on the strength of the program in the present.

Why do you continue to use extremes? What if a team plays 3 times in 10 years, is that a rival?

Awesome games back then! I have most of them on DVD.
Yes they were....We were atthe game when Bailey had 29, leading IU to a 96-84 win. I thought for sure UK would be us by 90....We were coming off a season opening loss to Butler.

One of favorite games was in 98(Dec). Horrendous 1st half by both---think UK led 22-17 at halftime...Second half was fun. Csts up by 9 with a little over a minute to go , before the Hoosiers stormed back. Sent the gme to OT on a Fife "3"---then stole the inbound pass, and damn near hit a 70 footer to win the game...UK dominated the OT---winning 70-61.

Reactions: Scotty00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT