ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana/Kentucky: Its time to get this game back...

IUfanBorden

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2011
Team
Indiana
IMO, no other rivalry is more defined/prestigious, than that of Indiana/Kentucky. Time for the two sides to come to an agreement. The game is bigger than both schools...both administrations...and both coaches. My brother and I were talking about this last night...The great memories he and I had over the years. Going to Freedom Hall, or the RCA Dome, to watch the game. We talked about being at Assembly Hall, in Ricks first season, and watching a 14-14 to come in, and play their asses off vs a Top-10 Indiana team.

Some good memories from this series...For people like me and my brother(Huge UK fan), it was always more about winning and losing---It was about the chance to for two brothers to get together, and watch their favorite teams go at it...

Its better than UNC/Duke....Its better than UL/UK.....Its better than IU/Purdue...

Its time....Leets get this game back where it belongs----NCAA's best, morst fierced rivalry....

I would put our sheer hatred up against anyone's. KU and MU are probably still #1 in that category. But we're right there.
As far as hatred, I'd say its KU/MZ.....then probably UL/UK. Maybe. With the UL series, I think the hatred comes from, well, kinda of like your mom making you play with your younger brother.... Laughing When the governor of Kentucky basically forced the series, I just think it pissed off BBN. Like I said, Mom(Governor) forcing you to play with your little brother(UL).

As for IU/UK, hate...Meh, I guess I;ve always seen this game from an opposite spectrum. My brother and I had ONE fight about the game, and PaPa put that shit to bed. Now, with my wife being a huge UK fan, I've just never gotten the "hate". I wanna win, for sure. But I don't hate UK.

As far as hatred, I'd say its KU/MZ.....then probably UL/UK. Maybe. With the UL series, I think the hatred comes from, well, kinda of like your mom making you play with your younger brother.... Laughing When the governor of Kentucky basically forced the series, I just think it pissed off BBN. Like I said, Mom(Governor) forcing you to play with your little brother(UL).

As for IU/UK, hate...Meh, I guess I;ve always seen this game from an opposite spectrum. My brother and I had ONE fight about the game, and PaPa put that shit to bed. Now, with my wife being a huge UK fan, I've just never gotten the "hate". I wanna win, for sure. But I don't hate UK.
I think you and I are different than most fans in our bases due to our ties with each other's state.

With that said, most UK fans I know from back home can't stand IU, and family friends from Indiana are the same towards UK.

...and lets not get started on our message boards.

I would put our sheer hatred up against anyone's. KU and MU are probably still #1 in that category. But we're right there.
That was always one-sided though. True rivalries should at least be somewhat competitive. Mizzou almost always sucks ass. That's on the same level as Kentucky-Tennessee as far as "rivalry" goes.

I really don’t care anymore about it. This from someone whose been to multiple games at RCA dome, Freedom Hall, and Assembly Hall.

It’s probably time. I can’t really think of another series that has any MORE passion behind it. ESPN says it’s only UNC/Duke, which is decent too . . . but organic passion doesn’t require a carnival barker constantly saying “look this way!” This series means more to the sport’s two most dedicated cultures. Not just some Johnny-come-lately afternoon of entertainment. This goes back for generations. . . grandparents, etc.

Last edited:
I am sending a not to UK not to even consider renewing the series.

IU stopped the football series because they could never win but want the basketball series restarted because they think that they can win 1 out of 5.

Screw IU. In 2012 they acted like asses.
Right on queue....

BTW----IU leads the football series, 18-17. As for the basketball side----past 10 years, its UK 6-4. With IU winning 2 of the past 3. A far cry from, " 1 out of 5".. SmokinSmile

That 2012 game in Bloomington has a lot of you mentally scarred...Laughing

It’s probably time. I can’t really think of another series that has any MORE passion behind it. ESPN says it’s only UNC/Duke, which is decent too . . . but organic passion doesn’t require a carnival barker constantly saying “look this way!” This series means more than to the sport’s two most dedicated cultures. Not just some Johnny-come-lately afternoon of entertainment. This goes back for generations. . . grandparents, etc.
IF the series were renewed the coverage leading up to the game would be crazy..

I really don’t care anymore about it. This from someone whose been to multiple games at RCA dome, Freedom Hall, and Assembly Hall.
Its not that I "care". I just think two schools, that share the same border, with the traditions of both, should play. I mean its been 8 years since a reg. season game...So its not a "care", more than it is a , "I'd like to see it...."

Right on queue....

BTW----IU leads the football series, 18-17. As for the basketball side----past 10 years, its UK 6-4. With IU winning 2 of the past 3. A far cry from, " 1 out of 5".. SmokinSmile

Since we're doing this.

In the last 20 games. It's 15-5, so it's technically 1 out of 4. SmokinSmile

I'll take knocking IU out of the tournament on the way to a national title over a regular season win any day. :cool: I must say I am glad they lost to Vandy in the SECT final though. Had UK's only loss that season been to IU we would never hear the end of it.

Since we're doing this.

They should have ended it after 2004, from 91-04 it was 12-2 Kentucky. 5-4 since then uk still leading, Cal is 3-2 against IU in his time at UK. Its weird for me for to see the excuse of not being competitive when it’s been the most competitive during Cals tenure than it has since the 80s.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
I think you and I are different than most fans in our bases due to our ties with each other's state.

With that said, most UK fans I know from back home can't stand IU, and family friends from Indiana are the same towards UK.

...and lets not get started on our message boards.
Yep...I lived in Kentucky---lived just outside of Lexington...Lived in Henderson and Smith Mills as a kid..You know my story...

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I'll take knocking IU out of the tournament on the way to a national title over a regular season win any day. :cool: I must say I am glad they lost to Vandy in the SECT final though. Had UK's only loss that season been to IU we would never hear the end of it.
Oh, make no mistake---I much rather would have won in March. Its just a game in December. I think losing to IU refocused that team. Teague became the player he was, in the 2nd half of that IU game. 1st half, he was awful.
Great game. Ton of fun. IMO, I'd rather see the game played at Bankers....I miss the days of the split crowds.

They should have ended it after 2004, from 91-04 it was 12-2 Kentucky. 5-4 since then uk still leading, Cal is 3-2 against IU in his time at UK. Its weird for me for to see the excuse of not being competitive when it’s been the most competitive during Cals tenure than it has since the 80s.
Is what it is....Rick separated the series---winning 7 of 10. Now calling the series "non-comptetive" is a bit misleading...Those games in the 90's, were super. From 1990-2000, only 2 games were decided by 10 points or more. Now its total opposite after that...From 2000-2010, only 2 games were under 10 points. Then of course when Crean got the program stable, the games were very good.

Since we're doing this.

Or, I mean, we could just say----32-25. Right? But sure, lets go back 20 years, instad of 10----Fits better, huh?Laughing

I am sending a not to UK not to even consider renewing the series.

IU stopped the football series because they could never win but want the basketball series restarted because they think that they can win 1 out of 5.

Screw IU. In 2012 they acted like asses.
Thank goodness for you guys that UNC doesn't think as you do. Otherwise, when they won 7 out 10, including 5 straight, from 2004-13, they may have cancelled you guys...jumpingsmile

It’s fascinating hearing a 70 year old man say butthurt.
I like ole' Bert. But man that dude holds a mighty grudge. I am not sure I've ever came across anyone who's feeelings get as hurt as his, when UK isn't spoken of in a good manner. It kills him.

IMO, no other rivalry is more defined/prestigious, than that of Indiana/Kentucky. Time for the two sides to come to an agreement. The game is bigger than both schools...both administrations...and both coaches. My brother and I were talking about this last night...The great memories he and I had over the years. Going to Freedom Hall, or the RCA Dome, to watch the game. We talked about being at Assembly Hall, in Ricks first season, and watching a 14-14 to come in, and play their asses off vs a Top-10 Indiana team.

Some good memories from this series...For people like me and my brother(Huge UK fan), it was always more about winning and losing---It was about the chance to for two brothers to get together, and watch their favorite teams go at it...

Its better than UNC/Duke....Its better than UL/UK.....Its better than IU/Purdue...

Its time....Leets get this game back where it belongs----NCAA's best, morst fierced rivalry....
I think you're getting a little carried away. UNC/Duke is the premier rivalry in CBB.

I think you're getting a little carried away. UNC/Duke is the premier rivalry in CBB.
Naaaah....Duke/Carolina is like two brothers arguing... Laughing They'll beat on each other, then go have in and have dinner together.

Not to mention, UNC/Duke is shoved down the throats of viewers. No doubt its a great rivalry. What, 5 miles away, or something like that? I just don't think the dislike is on the same level of IU/UK. The hate there is real...I don't get that feeling with Duke/UK.

Plus, well, IU/UK havent played in 8 years(reg season). Duke and UNC play like 14 times a year...Waters it down, some IMO.

Naaaah....Duke/Carolina is like two brothers arguing... Laughing They'll beat on each other, then go have in and have dinner together.

Not to mention, UNC/Duke is shoved down the throats of viewers. No doubt its a great rivalry. What, 5 miles away, or something like that? I just don't think the dislike is on the same level of IU/UK. The hate there is real...I don't get that feeling with Duke/UK.

Plus, well, IU/UK havent played in 8 years(reg season). Duke and UNC play like 14 times a year...Waters it down, some IMO.

Didn't they postpone a game once to snow or something like that? Laughing

I like ole' Bert. But man that dude holds a mighty grudge. I am not sure I've ever came across anyone who's feeelings get as hurt as his, when UK isn't spoken of in a good manner. It kills him.
Total bull shit. Plus I am not ole', I am simply Bert.

I hope to never see UK and IU play another game in the regular season. Crean pissed me off as much as anyone could along with about a million other true UK fans. IU can take a flying leap and kiss UK's butt.

IU needs to continue to play UK's little brother and enjoy it and stop lobbying UK for a regular season game. UK sure as hell has nothing to gain by playing the candy strippers ever again.

Last edited:
Reactions: RunninRichie
Total bull shit. Plus I am not ole', I am simply Bert.

I hope to never see UK and IU play another game in the regular season. Crean pissed me off as much as anyone could along with about a million other true UK fans. IU can take a flying leap and kiss UK's butt.

IU needs to continue to play UK's little brother and enjoy it and stop lobbying UK for a regular season game. UK sure as hell has nothing to gain by playing the candy strippers ever again.
Laughing

UK has nothing to gain by playing IU----But does so by replacing that game with Baylor----and losing---twice....Dude, get off the high horse....

Great logic there Bert..RollLaugh

IU's not lobbying to play anyone...It only becomes conversation, when asked.

When I started this thread, I knew who's ass it would hurt the most....Thanks for not disappointing...Winking

I could see UK renewing a series with IU but they won’t play at assembly hall again as long as Mitch and/or Cal are at UK.
Probably not...And I am fine with that. Game was a neutral site game for years...And did just fine. I don't care where they play. Makes me no difference. I do think its silly not to play a home/home. But thats irrelevant.

Crean pissed me off as much as anyone could along with about a million other true UK fans.
show-me-on-the-doll-where-the-bad-man-touched-you

I don't want to speak for UK, but I would imagine they have more emotion for a game with UL and it is played yearly. I would even think UT/UK would be a bigger deal to them then IU.

Reactions: cdbearde
I don't want to speak for UK, but I would imagine they have more emotion for a game with UL and it is played yearly. I would even think UT/UK would be a bigger deal to them then IU.
Possible...I could say there are a lot of IU fans who feel the Purdue game is bigger(than UK). And in terms of conference/state bragging rights, etc, etc...there's a good argument for that. The UL game is a bitter rivalry...Lot of BBN hold a grudge b/c of how the series came about..

As for UT/UK? Possible. Guess it would depend on part of the state we are talking about...But when you lead a series by damn near a 100 games(154-76), I'd say it loses some of its luster...Winking. Though the series has become quite competitive the past 8 years...MOF, UT actually leads the series since 2012(8-7), and has won 5 of the past 7.

Laughing

UK has nothing to gain by playing IU----But does so by replacing that game with Baylor----and losing---twice....Dude, get off the high horse....

Great logic there Bert..RollLaugh

IU's not lobbying to play anyone...It only becomes conversation, when asked.

When I started this thread, I knew who's ass it would hurt the most....Thanks for not disappointing...Winking
We’ve been over this before. The IU game wasn’t replaced by Baylor (and the 2013 game was part of the SEC-Big 12 Challenge).

We’ve been over this before. The IU game wasn’t replaced by Baylor (and the 2013 game was part of the SEC-Big 12 Challenge).
So it was replaced then by-----Samford, Portland or David Lipscomb? Yikes. Think I would've stuck with Baylor being the replacement...Winking

Borden has a big one on for UK.

At the time (2012) Indiana said that they could replace UK by many great games. Four years later they line up UL.

Borden is in denial. He refuses to recognize that IU stepped in shit when they tried to dictate terms to Kentucky.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
Possible...I could say there are a lot of IU fans who feel the Purdue game is bigger(than UK). And in terms of conference/state bragging rights, etc, etc...there's a good argument for that. The UL game is a bitter rivalry...Lot of BBN hold a grudge b/c of how the series came about..

As for UT/UK? Possible. Guess it would depend on part of the state we are talking about...But when you lead a series by damn near a 100 games(154-76), I'd say it loses some of its luster...Winking. Though the series has become quite competitive the past 8 years...MOF, UT actually leads the series since 2012(8-7), and has won 5 of the past 7.
Considering Tennessee has beaten UK more times that Indiana has played UK and throw in that UT has beaten UK more then any other school, I'd say it is a rivalry.

You appear to have one thing in common with the Cats fans and that is clinging to ancient history. I don't share your notion regarding "luster" coming from anything dating back to the time of horse and buggies. I suppose if you have weak recent history, ancient history is all you have left.

What was the score in last year's IU/UK game? How about the year before? Didn't play? It appears y'all have played 3 game in 10 years. That don't make a rivalry.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
Considering Tennessee has beaten UK more times that Indiana has played UK and throw in that UT has beaten UK more then any other school, I'd say it is a rivalry.

You appear to have one thing in common with the Cats fans and that is clinging to ancient history. I don't share your notion regarding "luster" coming from anything dating back to the time of horse and buggies. I suppose if you have weak recent history, ancient history is all you have left.

What was the score in last year's IU/UK game? How about the year before? Didn't play? It appears y'all have played 3 game in 10 years. That don't make a rivalry.
Congrats on finally getting good. I never thought of UT as being a "johnny come lately" team, but you've convinced me.

ADVERTISEMENT