ADVERTISEMENT

I'm pulling for the G league

If the NCAA adapts and evolves I'm cool with it sticking around. I love college basketball way too much to see it be swallowed up by the G League. If kids can make money in college, no reason they shouldn't want to play college ball. Much more exposure and national spotlight if you play at a Kentucky or Duke then some random team in the development basketball league.

Reactions: Fight r8rs Fight!
I would much rather kids that have no intention of going to school go to the G-League. It's not fair to watch these student athletes who are taking a full academic course load compete against these #semesterhood kids who are taking BS classes for one semester to remain academically eligible. The fact that these OAD factories haven't won anything since 2015 is pretty embarrassing when you truly think about it.

I would much rather kids that have no intention of going to school go to the G-League. It's not fair to watch these student athletes who are taking a full academic course load compete against these #semesterhood kids who are taking BS classes for one semester to remain academically eligible. The fact that these OAD factories haven't won anything since 2015 is pretty embarrassing when you truly think about it.

Agreed. This isn’t going to hurt college basketball at all

Reactions: jhmossy
giphy.gif

Thanks for reminding for South Carolina has been to a final four more recently than Kentucky asshole.

Just for completion, here are all the schools that have been to a Final Four more recently than Kentucky

Villanova (2016, 2018)
UNC (2016, 2017)
Oklahoma (2016)
Syracuse (2016)
South Carolina (2017)
Gonzaga (2017)
Oregon (2017)
Michigan (2018)
Kansas (2018)
Loyola (2018)
Virginia (2019)
Texas Tech (2019)
Michigan State (2019)
Auburn (2019)

Just for completion, here are all the schools that have been to a Final Four more recently than Kentucky

Villanova (2016, 2018)
UNC (2016, 2017)
Oklahoma (2016)
Syracuse (2016)
South Carolina (2017)
Gonzaga (2017)
Oregon (2017)
Michigan (2018)
Kansas (2018)
Loyola (2018)
Virginia (2019)
Texas Tech (2019)
Michigan State (2019)
Auburn (2019)

Duke is not on that list. Correlation or causation of rebuilding with one and dones every year?

If the NCAA adapts and evolves I'm cool with it sticking around. I love college basketball way too much to see it be swallowed up by the G League. If kids can make money in college, no reason they shouldn't want to play college ball. Much more exposure and national spotlight if you play at a Kentucky or Duke then some random team in the development basketball league.

I’d still root for Louisville and enjoy college basketball if it was completely made up of players who will never be nba quality players. I think a lot if not most feel the same. I’m all for getting the kids that only go to college bc they have no better option paid in the g league or if they ever end the one and done rule, which the powers that be said back in the day it would already be done by now. Now bc of the corona they are saying it might get pushed back to 2025 smdh

I'm happy for the player to get paid.

But for you folks talking about one and does only going to class for a semester, if that was true UK and Duke would be working with reduced scholarships due to APR.

Villanova (2016, 2018)
UNC (2016, 2017)
Oklahoma (2016)
Syracuse (2016)
South Carolina (2017)
Gonzaga (2017)
Oregon (2017)
Michigan (2018)
Kansas (2018)
Loyola (2018)
Virginia (2019)
Texas Tech (2019)
Michigan State (2019)
Auburn (2019)

I wasn't looking for your input thanks.

Also this reminded me Duke gave Zion and a house and still couldn't make the final 4. #sad

Reactions: jhmossy

But for you folks talking about one and does only going to class for a semester, if that was true UK and Duke would be working with reduced scholarships due to APR.

Yea but when colleges offer courses like coaching volleyball and scuba diving, if u believe that most of the players that aren’t planning on being in school long enough to graduate are taking a regular students course load, u are mistaken. Not to mention u only have to take around 12 hours a semester (3-4 classes) to be considered a full time student. (Was the case at Murray State, other schools might have different requirements but I doubt they are much more stringent.

Now there will always be outliers, athletes that have academic interests as well, but the majority of P5 basketball players’ courseloads wouldn’t even remotely compare to a normal students. Plus in most places they get their own tutor.

I went to lowly Murray State and even there the basketball players were set up with the easiest classes and/or teachers available. Actually took coaching volleyball and coaching soccer with a few players lol.

Last edited:
I wasn't looking for your input thanks.

Also this reminded me Duke gave Zion and a house and still couldn't make the final 4. #sad

Which reminds me that uk did the same for cousins and didn’t make a final four either.

And before ur cronies get all link happy, when u show me a link that proves duke gave Zions family a house for the year, I’ll give u one proving uk did the same for cousins.

Of course there are no links for either, but it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, for both.

It’s so crazy to me that so many fanbases think that paying players started with this fbi sting. It’s been going on for dam near a century. From Rupp to wooden to tark to fisher and the fab five. It might have been more widespread around the time of the fbi sting but it’s literally been going on forever.

Last edited:
Which reminds me that uk did the same for cousins and didn’t make a final four either.

I can promise you I don't give a fvck. And of all schools, maybe a UL fan shouldn't be throwing stones considering the last few years...

I don’t give a Fvck either, and I don’t really much care about the fbi entrapment errrr I mean sting, where they openly admitted their main agenda was to “get Pitino”

I think the kids should get paid in college. The coaches, ADs, etc have multi-million dollar contracts based on their teams success, but in reality the teams success has far more to do with the players than the coach and esp the AD.

I think any major basketball school's posted test scores and academic grades for their basketball team are all about as reliable as China saying they only had 82,000 Covid cases and 3500 deaths.

Reactions: RR30 and UL_1986
I think any major basketball school's posted test scores and academic grades for their basketball team are all about as reliable as China saying they only had 82,000 Covid cases and 3500 deaths.
I had UK athletes in some of my elective classes, and those dudes worked harder and came to class more often than a lot of the normal students. They didn't really have a choice since they had tutors and people that came by class randomly to ensure they were there. Obviously they are not (mostly) going for engineering course loads or anything near that difficulty, but their grades were earned and legit.

I would assume most major programs do something similar. If not I guess UK is the only school that actually grades their athletes work honestly (I seriously doubt this is the case).

Yea but when colleges offer courses like coaching volleyball and scuba diving, if u believe that most of the players that aren’t planning on being in school long enough to graduate are taking a regular students course load, u are mistaken. Not to mention u only have to take around 12 hours a semester (3-4 classes) to be considered a full time student. (Was the case at Murray State, other schools might have different requirements but I doubt they are much more stringent.

Now there will always be outliers, athletes that have academic interests as well, but the majority of P5 basketball players’ courseloads wouldn’t even remotely compare to a normal students. Plus in most places they get their own tutor.

I went to lowly Murray State and even there the basketball players were set up with the easiest classes and/or teachers available. Actually took coaching volleyball and coaching soccer with a few players lol.
They may enroll in easier majors, but so do lots of normal students. From my experience, athletes were not treated any differently in the classes they were actually enrolled in than the other students. I had basketball players and football players in debeate/public speaking classes and they were not treated any differently than me. To speak to your point, the classes were stupid easy compared to my CS workload. That does not make their grades questionable, it just means they aren't going to be MD's or engineers.

I had UK athletes in some of my elective classes, and those dudes worked harder and came to class more often than a lot of the normal students. They didn't really have a choice since they had tutors and people that came by class randomly to ensure they were there. Obviously they are not (mostly) going for engineering course loads or anything near that difficulty, but their grades were earned and legit.

I would assume most major programs do something similar.
Those tutors are there for them night and day and basically do their work for them. It's not as much them working as hard as they can as it is the university making sure they pass and stay eligible. Those tutors job is to basically oversee everything the athlete does and make sure they "get it" no matter how simple it is. In some cases it means doing their work for them. My source being me, who was a student-athlete at KU in the 1990's and who had tutors there. I don't see why that would have changed much by now.

I'm not saying this applies to literally every basketball player but I'm 100% positive it happens to the ones that are only there as a stepping stone. I am a little more cynical than others in how I see universities operating with their money making athletes though but I mainly attribute that to seeing how they do things firsthand.

They may enroll in easier majors, but so do lots of normal students. From my experience, athletes were not treated any differently in the classes they were actually enrolled in than the other students. I had basketball players and football players in debeate/public speaking classes and they were not treated any differently than me. To speak to your point, the classes were stupid easy compared to my CS workload. That does not make their grades questionable, it just means they aren't going to be MD's or engineers.
Yeah, you are correct here. If it's in-class work then they gotta do what everybody else does. My post above is mainly for the basic math and english writing type classes. The "core classes" I guess you could call them that all need to take in the beginning.

Reactions: Global Havok
Those tutors are there for them night and day and basically do their work for them. It's not as much them working as hard as they can as it is the university making sure they pass and stay eligible. Those tutors job is to basically oversee everything the athlete does and make sure they "get it" no matter how simple it is. In some cases it means doing their work for them. My source being me, who was a student-athlete at KU in the 1990's and who had tutors there. I don't see why that would have changed much by now.

I'm not saying this applies to literally every basketball player but I'm 100% positive it happens to the ones that are only there as a stepping stone. I am a little more cynical than others in how I see universities operating with their money making athletes though but I mainly attribute that to seeing how they do things firsthand.
I agree the tutors make it much much easier easier. But them "doing the work for them" was not my experience, at least in the classes I was in. Lones Sieber (infamous to UK football fans) and some offensive lineman whose name escapes me at the moment were probably my hardest working group members on group projects of these classes.

They certainly have an advantage over regular students of the same intellectual capabilities though. That cant even be debated.

Reactions: schoonerwest
ADVERTISEMENT