ADVERTISEMENT

If you had the #1 pick, who would you take?

If you had the #1 pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, who would you take?

• Total voters

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
This isn't a matter of who you think will go #1 in the draft, but who do you think you would draft #1?

I included what I believe are the consensus top 6. These top guys are all very intriguing, IMO. Wouldn't be an easy choice.

Jabari was a beast. Size, can shoot, should work on his handles but he's 6'10 iirc.

Can't comment on Sharpe. Only have seen some youtube videos. He could be the next Jordan, or the next (insert random guys name here).

I think Holmgren will take some time, Ivey was another beast who I feel weill translate well at the next level. Didn't watch much of Murray. Banchero is going to be solid. #1 solid IDK.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Back to Holmgren. I'm not a hater, I just think he should have came back if nothing else but to work on filling out his frame. It's going to be interesting watching his transition.

My heart wants to say...

FVUBwfhWYAApsEA

but, I just think so highly of Jaden Ivey. His first step is devastating. He can blow by anyone. He has the ability to facilitate an offense, create his own shot, and create havoc on the defense end. What's not to like? His game is perfectly suited for the NBA. I see a lot of Dwyane Wade in him. I love his potential and think he's going to be a perennial all-star. The top of this class looks really, really strong, though. We might have several perennial all-stars.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
My heart wants to say...

FVUBwfhWYAApsEA

but, I just think so highly of Jaden Ivey. His first step is devastating. He can blow by anyone. He has the ability to facilitate an offense, create his own shot, and create havoc on the defense end. What's not to like? His game is perfectly suited for the NBA. I see a lot of Dwyane Wade in him. I love his potential and think he's going to be a perennial all-star. The top of this class looks really, really strong, though. We might have several perennial all-stars.
Do you think the draft drops off in talent after the lottery? Top heavy?

Do you think the draft drops off in talent after the lottery? Top heavy?

It sort of feels that way, but it always seems presumptuous to think we know how all of these 19 and 20 year-olds are going to develop. Jokic, Draymond Green, Khris Middleton, and Malcolm Brogdon were all taken in the second round. Kawhi, Giannis, Gobert, and Pascal Siakim weren't lottery picks.

It's kind of like taking 3 teams in the NCAA Tournament over the field. Those top 3 teams (or top 5-6 players in the draft) are more likely to yield favorable outcomes. But, when the field has 60+ options, inevitably a few of those are going to rise to the top.

I think Jabari's skill and upside are to good to pass up so I would take him # 1. Paolo is just as skilled with a better handle and you can make an argument for him. Chet is just to light in the ass to even be considered as the first pick IMO but you can't teach 7'3.

It sort of feels that way, but it always seems presumptuous to think we know how all of these 19 and 20 year-olds are going to develop. Jokic, Draymond Green, Khris Middleton, and Malcolm Brogdon were all taken in the second round. Kawhi, Giannis, Gobert, and Pascal Siakim weren't lottery picks.

It's kind of like taking 3 teams in the NCAA Tournament over the field. Those top 3 teams (or top 5-6 players in the draft) are more likely to yield favorable outcomes. But, when the field has 60+ options, inevitably a few of those are going to rise to the top.
Who could be some surprises? In your opinion of course.

Who could be some surprises? In your opinion of course.

I really like one of your Memphis guys, Josh Minott. If he could learn to shoot from the outside with some level of consistency, he'd be a HUGE asset for any team. Such a high-level athlete.

Some guys that are likely to be in the 2nd Round that I kind of like: Keon Ellis (Alabama), Ryan Rollins (Toledo), Jabari Walker (Colorado), and Orlando Robinson (Fresno State).

No votes for Holmgren is shocking. He would've been my 2nd pick after Paolo but honestly the top 3 are all great. I can see Ivey being the best pro too.

As far as steals are concerned, I'm still left wondering how Dosumu fell to the second round last year? Does the age factor hurt you that much? I would have thought he'd safely been in the 1st Round, possibly in the latter part of the lottery.

Back to Holmgren. I'm not a hater, I just think he should have came back if nothing else but to work on filling out his frame. It's going to be interesting watching his transition.
Why though, go another year to climb from 3/4/5 in the draft to get to number one.

When ur body looks as freakily evolved as his, i woulda took the $$$ too as fast as theyd give it too me, in case my tiny arms or legs snapped under the weight of that noggin.

In my heart id take a flyer on ivey, but in my head id go smith or banchero. Just feel like it might be a bit easier for a guard to step in and impact the nba atm and him and sharpe are the only ones up there. Ive too never seen sharpe play a second so wouldbt be fair to comment.

I just want Jabari to be it. Auburn could join a list of just a few schools that have the top pick in basketball, football, and baseball

This isn't a matter of who you think will go #1 in the draft, but who do you think you would draft #1?

I included what I believe are the consensus top 6. These top guys are all very intriguing, IMO. Wouldn't be an easy choice.
My son.....We are flat broke. 🥴 😁

probabaly has the highest bust probability but I also think the highest upside. I am likely taking Chet. Some would depend on team/ownership...he is not going to be ready to be a star for several years...certainly you can argue that profile is not worthy of #1 overall. I though Paola disappeared too often this year and Smith...granted I did not watch much Auburn basketball but when I did...maybe he just did not have a good game. You can see the immense talent with each of them and they are safer picks for sure...I don't know I suppose if I actually had to make the pick I would do a bit more research instead of basing it on very small amounts of observation

I think this is easily Jabari Smith. I’m having a hard time believing teams would seriously consider anyone else.

Guys like Banchero come out fairly frequently. And Chet wouldn’t have even been a top 4 pick last year.

Smith just seems to be a separate category. I’d take Ivey second.

Watch out for Murray. He is NBA ready and has an NBA game
I agree. Most guys have major things to work on to be good at the NBA level. Murray right now gets minutes for any team in the NBA. A long, smooth wing with a good jump shot and nice defense, with the ability to play on or off ball.

I don’t think Keegan Murray ever makes an all NBA team but I’m so confident he can help any team win. If the Pistons took him at 5 I would feel good about it.

Reactions: hawkit3113
With this class I would try and trade my number one pick but if I’m taking somebody it’s Smith and it’s not even close really.

Reactions: GE Nole
My heart wants to say...

FVUBwfhWYAApsEA

Yeah, Ivey has always been my choice here. He is the guy who will at the very least be really good IMO. He fits in great with what they do today in the league. Smith is easily next for me.

Probably not a fair comparison, but I keep thinking of Rashard Lewis when I consider Jabari Smith. Admittedly, Lewis wasn't as developed at age 19, so Jabari should have a higher ceiling.

Reactions: MGC_07
Probably not a fair comparison, but I keep thinking of Rashard Lewis when I consider Jabari Smith. Admittedly, Lewis wasn't as developed at age 19, so Jabari should have a higher ceiling.
He seems like a perfect fit in Houston. I love him and Jalen Green together. A pick and roll with those two would be scary.

I see Jabari Smith as a better shooting but not as good defensively yet JJJ.

Depends on the team's needs. Now if you were going to pick a player to build a team around, there's probably 4 guys on that list you could pick and not go wrong at their ability right now.

Banchero, Ivey, Smith and Sharpe. To be honest I know little about Murray and Chet needs to grow into a man.

ADVERTISEMENT