If G6 teams are so upset about being excluded...

Discussion in 'College Football Soundoff' started by pharvey0829, Nov 10, 2018.

1. pharvey0829

pharvey0829 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

If G6 teams are so upset about not being included in the playoffs, then why don't they just create their own playoff and crown their own champion, just like FCS does?

TOMMY TROJAN and beasleythecard like this.
  2. ThereIsNoPlace

ThereIsNoPlace Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

They need our money...

speedfrk, SnoopHawg and duckboy33 like this.
  3. hang_on_sloopy08

hang_on_sloopy08 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It’s not a playoff. It’s an invitational.

4. Nod4Eight

Nod4Eight Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

If they don't want to be excluded, they should exclude themselves...?? :confused:

That's some goofy logic there.

5. SpartyRBS

SpartyRBS Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It’s not a bad idea and I’d like to see it. The top 4/8 G5 teams go at it. I’m down.

6. KnightNasty

KnightNasty Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

G6? Did the ACC get demoted?

broski and UCFhonors like this.
  7. Kronic22

Kronic22 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Nut up and play all p5 teams ooc, even if you don't get a home game.

8. Brotherfease

Brotherfease Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I hear this "logic", but it's insane.

Everybody is in the SAME league called FBS. Per rules, ALL FBS teams are eligible for the playoff.

If the G5 schools are going to have their own "playoff", where is the games going to take place? Which bowl sites are going to used? How are the teams going to be "selected"? How many rounds are they going to play?

It's actually would be counterproductive and against the rules. That means whoever wins the American/MWC/Mac conference would essentially decline the invite against a P5 school and play against another G5 program. That would be a financial net negative.

FBS has already chosen a bowl system over a real playoff with a legit winner. Winning your bowl game is your playoff game. Winning one of the big six bowl games is what all teams strive to win every year. UCF declared themselves National Champs, but by that same logic so can, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Georgia, Penn State, and of course Alabama.

UCFhonors likes this.
  9. CFB fan 926

CFB fan 926 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think there is an avenue for the G5 but it would require a further shift from the P5 and fitting between them and the NFL. Schedule wise, game day wise, and probably revenue adjustments as well. It would be doable I think but it would require more than I think anybody would be willing to risk.

10. UCFhonors

UCFhonors Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You See Facts.

#UCFacts

SmokinSmile

hang_on_sloopy08 likes this.
  11. UCFhonors

Expand Collapse

It’s great isn’t it? I don’t know about you, but I enjoy seeing tshirt bandwagoners expose their own goofy logic. No doubt Boise and UCF has prompted this.

We just have to continue pressing the point.

#UCFacts

SmokinSmile

Nod4Eight likes this.
  12. UCFhonors

Expand Collapse

Post of the day.

Let’s us remember Utah’s 2008 NC which the Pac 12 claims.

#UCFacts

SmokinSmile

13. speedfrk

speedfrk Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It’s like breaking up with someone before they can break up with you

UCFhonors likes this.
  14. basement bias

basement bias Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

They could do it with the right $ partners and TV networks. Only way you'd want to is if you bring the promotion and relegation aspect between P5 and G5.

15. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

65 G5 teams cannot play their entire OOC schedule on the road vs P5 teams. Why are P5 schools afraid of rules?

Nod4Eight and UCFhonors like this.
  16. basement bias

Expand Collapse

No offense but that's an outright lie so far. The rules may say it, but the invitation committee doesn't abide by that rule. It's a farce.

17. UCFhonors

Expand Collapse

Wait, do we have a Ohio State and Michigan fan agreeing on a big point in the same thread!!!?

You guys are both correct too. It’s an Invitational. They will do whatever makes the ESP5N Cartel the most money.

It’s a UCFarce.

#UCFacts

SmokinSmile

18. basement bias

Expand Collapse

Honestly the only sport I can think of that automatically eliminates teams from winning its title before a snap is played.

UCFhonors and Nod4Eight like this.
  19. Nod4Eight

Expand Collapse

About half of the teams are eliminated before the season ever starts. Even going undefeated in back to back seasons doesn't seem to be enough.
    I was afraid of this when we went to a committee based selection process. What's so hard about having rules to decide?

UCFhonors and DTP2 like this.
  20. basement bias

Expand Collapse

I get not wanting automatic qualifying by some into a playoff, but that should be the way imo. If Northwestern beats OSU or Michigan then why not give them a chance. I hate that results on the field have been overlooked. Why do we play the games anymore? I don't want the 4 best teams necessarily. I want the 4 best of the most deserving teams. Our regular season is almost as meaningless as the NFL now.

UCFhonors and Nod4Eight like this.
  21. Nod4Eight

Expand Collapse

Exactly. Why have conference champs if that means nothin To the committee? Why play the games at all if it's based strictly on perception?

Brotherfease and UCFhonors like this.
  22. JohnHoosierr

JohnHoosierr Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The only way a team from some crappy conference has a chance to make the playoff is to schedule all highly ranked teams ooc and go undefeated

23. KISA

KISA Active Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

What about creating a real playoff system that is fair. 1A college football is the only sport in the entire world without a real playoff system just think about that. 16 team or 8 team playoff min is needed. I 100% agree with Mike Leach on this one

UCFhonors likes this.
  24. DTP2

DTP2 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The three G5 teams that made a poll's top four beat two P5 teams each with the best record among the P5 opponents being 7-5. It doesn't take as much as G5 critics insist.

UCFhonors likes this.
  25. collegefbfan2017

collegefbfan2017 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Good points. UCF was a NC contender, but weren't given immediate access to the championship, which pretty much means they weren't a NC. They qualified, as far as the other teams you mention I'm not sure they were national champions. I say there's a rule in place that pretty much eliminates a team (any team) with two losses. If there isn't there probably ought to be. At least within the format that's in place now, I can see reason for including a single-loss team but not a double-loss, under any circumstance. There might not be a rule but there probably ought to be.

As far as the motive, CFP is exclusive. It's effectively simply a revision to the BCS. That probably explains why it's effectively the same thing. It's underwritten by the same people and I think has the same motive, although there might be something within the two-game championship that makes it exclusive to four teams, however they're chosen. UCF (obviously) wasn't one. But they were admitted to CFP and they advanced, won their pairing.

That carries forward. They were a CFP champion. 1/6 as you mentioned. My interpretation (probably a fair one) is they were co-champions. A title game pairing Alabama and UCF might have resolved it sufficiently well. That obviously wasn't what happened. Not that big a deal, really. Because UCF failed to secure a measure of the Belt (the basis from which CFP applied the logistic of a nation championship). They will have that opportunity this year, assuming they win out and assuming so does SMU.

Which, if they do, probably SHOULD admit UCF. If they're 12-0 and with a Belt, they should be admitted. N.Dame probably should be excluded. I think N. Dame should have to beat Clemson anyway, so why aren't they playing them in the ACC championship? I'ts a fair question to ask.

26. collegefbfan2017

collegefbfan2017 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

LIke I said assuming the motive is fair, which I assume it probably is, 6 G-5 should be ranked by selection time, or minimally by season's end. I think you'll see eventually that I'm right within my methods. If 6 G-5 can be ranked, and assuming of course a G-5 is eligible then an G-5 should be given priority access whether that happens this year, obviouisy still remains to be seen, but it probably (despite not having 6 G-5 ranked) ought to have happened in 2016. Clearly that's not what happened but that's probably what ought to have. Ohio St (excluding OT) had two losses, and they played terribly. Michigan (including OT) had two losses, I think W. Michigan (13-0) advances.

Otherwise why have a playoff? What the likelihood W. Michigan goes 13-0?