Iceland Advice

Discussion in 'College Football Soundoff' started by stabnburn, Mar 12, 2018.

1. stabnburn

stabnburn Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

So, I know several people here have recently gone on trips to Iceland, and I'm just trying to get some opinions. I'm planning to go with the wife the first week or so of October. The plan is to stay for 6 nights. This is our first non-US trip together, which has me leaning towards using one of the guide agencies to handle the accommodations, itinerary, etc. (specifically looking at Guide to Iceland).

The two packages I'm considering are self-driving and both have the Golden Circle or whatever and snorkeling Silfra. One involves staying at the Snæfellsnes Peninsula the second day then going along the south coast, staying at a different place each night, with a long drive back to Reykjavik from Hofn the day before departure. The other is a tour of the north side, also staying at different places. Both plans only have us in Reykjavik on the first day/night and the last night/day.

Given only 6 nights, which coast would you prefer? Or would it be better to spend more time in Reykjavik and just drive out to some of the places without staying there? I feel like I won't be "missing out" in any case, but I'd like to maximize my stay as much as possible.

@gobucks0409 I know you went relatively recently

2. MKrip

MKrip Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

darkwing27 likes this.
  3. stabnburn

Expand Collapse

Some people have the strangest friendships

MKrip likes this.
  4. Bamagrad75

Bamagrad75 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Be there myself in a couple of weeks. Did all my own planning and arranging, so can't help you there.

Just an FYI, it's stunningly expensive for food, drinks.

Don't try to get a taxi from the airport, it's even more stunningly expensive. I'm taking the bus to town, then grabbing a taxi to the apartment I've rented.

5. stabnburn

Expand Collapse

Yeah, I'm including about $150 per day in my budget for food. Not sure if that's accurate, but hopefully i won't go over.

Are you staying anywhere other than Reykjavik? Renting there seems pretty easy and straightforward: it's planning the route and other accommodations that has me hesitant.

6. gobucks0409

gobucks0409 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't think you need to use an agency for your entire trip, but you do you if it makes you feel more comfortable. I don't know what you enjoy doing. If I went again, I would spend the weekend in Reykjavik. You can see about all you need to in the city in that time. Plus, the locals like to party on the weekend. Try to stay west of Snorrabraut (it's not bad east of there...just most everything is west of it) and north of Hingbraut. While staying in Reykjavik you don't really need a car. I did the snorkeling, plus lava tube package, and it was pretty cool. I did not go on the golden circle. There are tours that will go there. I rented a car and went south one day, and there are several cool spots to stop and check out. I can give some pointers if you go that way. I did not go north, though. Although, I know someone who went north to see the puffins and loved it. I would recommend staying in some of the smaller towns and journeying outside the city during the week. Also, you will be there around the start of Northern Lights viewing season. Check which night will be best (there's a forecast website), and schedule a tour around that. I did the boat one, which was cool, but I think the bus tour will provide better visuals of the lights themselves.

In Reykjavik, of course you have to get a hot dog and Bryggjan Brugghus has some pretty good beer. I'm drawing a blank on some bar and restaurant recommendations. Islenski Barrin was a nice, cozy bar/restaurant. Lebowski and Mikkellar have some good beer selections, and I hung out at Bar Ananus one night (upstairs).

darkwing27 likes this.
  7. gobucks0409

Expand Collapse

Yes. There are bus services from the Airport to Reykjavik. Use those. The airport is a good haul outside the city. Beers will be about $10 each. Not sure how fancy you're going to be, but your basic meals (in Reykjavik, not sure about the small towns outside the city) will be about $25 (this is what a burger and fries was for one of my lunches). You can go cheaper, and get a bowl of soup (one of their staples is a veggie soup with lamb) for about $10 or so.

darkwing27 and Bamagrad75 like this.
  8. gobucks0409

Expand Collapse

Also, if you rent a car to go outside the city, you can download a map, and plan your route. It will work even on airplane mode (just using GPS, which is OK).

9. gobucks0409

Expand Collapse

Don't be nervous about driving. It's pretty straightforward. Just stay off the 4 wheel drive roads if you don't have 4 wheel drive. There's not many roads outside the city either, so your route will be hard to miss.

10. CFB fan 926

CFB fan 926 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Have a niece that was stationed there a few years back. She said it was awesome and she got to see a lot but said the cost of living, especially entertainment type stuff is crazy.

Hi BG, hope your enjoying your "trip".

(Somebody should let @LB6870 know his midget assassins failed and BG is still kickin')

gobucks0409 and Bamagrad75 like this.
  11. Bamagrad75

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

No, just in Reykjavik. Taking tours out for everything, then back to home base.

I got an apartment so I could do my own meals and not pay totally insane amounts, like $10 for a hotdog. And it's not even a Sabrettes.

Two good grocery store chains. You could stock on breakfast and lunch items and save your money for dinner meals.

stabnburn and gobucks0409 like this.
  12. Bamagrad75

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Has had ups and downs but overall good. Sadly leaving the tropics tomorrow headed for Dubai.

CFB fan 926 likes this.
  13. gobucks0409

Expand Collapse

Yes. I made a trip to the nearest Kronan and picked up some things to cut a few meals out. It's still more expensive than our groceries, but well under the cost for a meal out.

Bamagrad75 likes this.
  14. Bamagrad75

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yup. The apartment is near a Bonus which carries the biggest selection of American brands at pretty reasonable prices.

gobucks0409 likes this.
  15. Bamagrad75

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

@stabnburn

The further out from Reykjavik, you won't easily find Bonus or Kronan, so stock up there and only buy perishables in more distant locations

16. gobucks0409

Expand Collapse

I got a refrigerated pizza, some ham, cheese, and bread, some snacks, a couple energy drinks (cause drinking), a pre-made sandwich that was pretty good, yogurt, donuts, and a couple protein shakes. That covered some lunches, and breakfasts, and the pizza was good for a dinner one night.

Bamagrad75 likes this.
  17. CFB fan 926

Expand Collapse

That should be a nice place to visit but does Mr BG know? I'm guessing that place will have him paying the bills in overtime mode. That poor bast ***.

18. stabnburn

Expand Collapse

I planned to get a car even if i go through an agency to set things up. I would hate to spend my trip on other people's schedule.

I've been looking at places to stay in Vik and a couple of smaller towns along the Snæfellsnes Peninsula. How long is the drive from Reykjavik to Vik?

I think my problem is that i want to see too many sites in too short of a time, haha.

19. gobucks0409

Expand Collapse

If you like to drink, it might not be a bad idea to pick up some beer at the airport once you land. Then, you can drink a few before heading out. I pregamed with some nice folks from Minnesota one night. They had to use up the last of their beer and champagne, so there was a good amount of drinking, haha.

stabnburn likes this.
  20. Bamagrad75

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, he knows. Most of the flights to Egypt (my destination after Dubai) had one stop. It was Dubai or Turkey. Hmmmm let me think which one I'd rather be in.

Okay, I choose one of the more expensive locations. Plan to check out the mall with the indoor skiing.

He'll know I arrived there when he checks the credit card charges. That's how he usually finds where I am.

Dubai could hurt. :rolleyes:

CFB fan 926 likes this.
  21. stabnburn

Expand Collapse

Yeah, several of the places in the smaller towns seem to have kitchenettes at least. I'll probably take your advice on the food.

gobucks0409 and Bamagrad75 like this.
  22. CFB fan 926

Expand Collapse

When can we expect another update, (some of us are living vicariously through you.)

Bamagrad75 likes this.
  23. gobucks0409

Expand Collapse

Vik isn't too far from Reykjavik. I took a day trip, and ended up a couple hours east of Vik at Fjaðrárgljúfur. I didn't get back to city until pretty late, but I stopped at the sulfur springs (off 42 south of Reykjavk), Seljalandsfoss (bring water proof boots and pants. there is a cool waterfall about a 5-10 minute walk to the left of the big one. You can walk through the stream, into the little cave that a smaller waterfall falls into), Skógafoss, and Reynisfjara Beach (black sand near Vik) along the way. I was pretty rushed, though. I would definitely recommend staying in Vik before venturing to Fjaðrárgljúfur and further (not sure what is further, but I bet you can find some cool stuff).

stabnburn likes this.
  24. stabnburn

Expand Collapse

I read some things about that from random googling. I tend to have pretty high bar tabs here, so i can't imagine how much i would spend in a night of drinking in Reykjavik.

Would you think Friday, Saturday, and the night before departure would be enough time to see/ do most worthwhile things in the city?

25. gobucks0409

Expand Collapse

If/When I go again, I'll probably do a Friday and Saturday night stay there, then head out. I guess it depends on what all you want to do. You can probably find enough things to keep you occupied for longer, but it's not a big city. The sites in Reykjavik are pretty easy to walk to. The only thing that might keep you there for longer would be if you do a tour (like snorkeling), since that will take up most of a day. I'd leave 2 whole days to see the sites and explore the city. It might be a little overkill, but I like to just walk around new cities.

stabnburn likes this.
  26. gobucks0409

Expand Collapse

I mentioned it before, but I wasn't very clear on what it was. Bryggjan Brugghus is a brewery, so if you like beer, check them out. I think they might be the only one in the city.

stabnburn likes this.
  27. gobucks0409

Expand Collapse

You live in Virginia? I'm guessing you'll fly Wow out of BWI? I got by for a week with just a backpack and carry-on. Wow charges for carry-ons. I probably should have just done a checked bag with my backpack, but you could probably get by with one carry-on, and one checked bag for 2 people.

28. stabnburn

Expand Collapse

I think, for whatever reason, i planned to fly to JFK and take a WOW flight from there. I'll double check my thought process with that, though. My wife isn't the kind of person who can survive with a backpack. She takes a suitcase to Ohio to visit family for a week.

29. gobucks0409

Expand Collapse

Sorry, the backpack is the free item you can carry on (under the seat). It can be any type of bag, really. That's why I recommended you two bringing one checked bag, one carry-on, and your two personal bags.

Bockeroo and stabnburn like this.
  30. legalizequack

legalizequack Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Go to Blue Lagoon, definately expensive but it is a must see. You can treat yourself too.

[​IMG]

Go to a show at the Concert Hall in Reykjavik. Truly a remarkable building. If you don't do one, get a tour of the building, it is really beautiful.
    [​IMG]
    A cheap but really good option is Reykjavik Chips. The sauces are incredible and I had some of the best fries I have ever had.

[​IMG]

31. Bamagrad75

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm leaving the Maldives for Dubai in a couple of hours. I have just a bit of down time, so hope I can catch up with pix and report.

32. Bockeroo

Bockeroo Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

gobucks has it right, rent a car and drive around the southwest part of the island, Vik isn't far at all and you will be able to see some great landscapes, waterfalls like Skogafoss and Gullfoss, Reynisfjara black sand beach, the geysers, really tons of cool stuff around. Also recommend Secret Lagoon instead of Blue Lagoon, it was cheaper, fewer people, and no time limit. Buy your alcohol at the airport

32 Bockeroo, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    gobucks0409 likes this.
  33. Fear-the-Spear

Fear-the-Spear Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

To quote Maj. Charles Winchester III, it is an "inflamed boil on the buttocks of the world"

34. jcard14

jcard14 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Just got back from 13 days in Iceland. First 7 was spent mountain biking and the last 6 were doing the Normal tourist stuff...AMA. But if you want to do it right, it is going to cost you $$$$$.

Bamagrad75 likes this.
  35. AnotherVoice

AnotherVoice Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse