ADVERTISEMENT

I would take Jokic over Gianis....

RonnieBobby

Silver Member
Aug 14, 2020
For my Atlanta Hawks at least. Jokic works superbly as a component on a fairly talented roster. Giannis on the other hand is an independent operator. I think you could add Jokic to Atlanta's 2020 roster and we'd have a real chance at winning the east. Giannis on the other hand would diminish the value of Trae Young and the rest of the roster.
So, have I lost my mind ?

For my Atlanta Hawks at least. Jokic works superbly as a component on a fairly talented roster. Giannis on the other hand is an independent operator. I think you could add Jokic to Atlanta's 2020 roster and we'd have a real chance at winning the east. Giannis on the other hand would diminish the value of Trae Young and the rest of the roster.
So, have I lost my mind ?

It would depend on if Trae and Collins would adjust their game and let Jokic facilitate. Trae loves to initiate and bomb away on pull ups. Jokic ain’t gonna be best utilized that way.

But if Trae and Collins would be willing to alternate two-man games with Jokic, then I’d probably agree about the Hawks at least playing for the ECF with him.

Jokic on the Raptors would be insane.

Difference between Milwaukee and Denver is the players around both.

Denver has evaluated extremely well. Actually lucked into the fact that teams were doubting Micheal Porter Jr.

Milwaukee's role players tend to be older and even some on the downside of their career
Donte DiVicenzio and Sterling Brown are the only player with less than 4 years who play regularly
At least average 10 minutes a game

Denver on the otherhand
Paul Millsap is the only player with 10 years experience
While majority of Milwaukee's players are 10 year guys

Just matters how you want to build your team.

I think one thing that would make the difference is future productivity

Giannis will be elite much longer than Jokic IMO.

Reactions: Hank_
It would depend on if Trae and Collins would adjust their game and let Jokic facilitate. Trae loves to initiate and bomb away on pull ups. Jokic ain’t gonna be best utilized that way.

But if Trae and Collins would be willing to alternate two-man games with Jokic, then I’d probably agree about the Hawks at least playing for the ECF with him.

Jokic on the Raptors would be insane.

Well Collins isn't a facilitator as it is, I think the flow of the game would give Jokic ample opportunities for assists. He probably wouldn't have many triple doubles, but his value to the team would still be very high. What he would have with Trae running the floor is far more easy baskets than he's getting in Denver.

Just basketball.

Some players aren't the same when they can't be ball dominant

Point made by him was if Trae Young could take advantage of the defense because of Jokic it could work.
But Young is a ball dominant player.

Matters how you want to run your team. Young is good enough player that if he plays on the ball he could create for Jokic

Jokic is making a borderline All Star in Murray look like a Top 5/10 player

Murray can play with him. Some players equate possession of the ball as being the man and when they aren't the man they don't play as well.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Difference between Milwaukee and Denver is the players around both.

Denver has evaluated extremely well. Actually lucked into the fact that teams were doubting Micheal Porter Jr.

Milwaukee's role players tend to be older and even some on the downside of their career
Donte DiVicenzio and Sterling Brown are the only player with less than 4 years who play regularly
At least average 10 minutes a game

Denver on the otherhand
Paul Millsap is the only player with 10 years experience
While majority of Milwaukee's players are 10 year guys

Just matters how you want to build your team.

I think one thing that would make the difference is future productivity

Giannis will be elite much longer than Jokic IMO.

Jokic is just 10 months older than Giannis. More to the point, opportunities to win titles are rare. I'd take Jokic for the current Hawks' roster. I think they'd compete with the best fairly quickly.

Age doesn't always equate shelf life...

I like Jokic.
But Giannis is almost unguardable. He has the ability to be a KD like player on the offensive end but with elite defense.

Giannis isn't close to his ceiling yet.

Just matters how many years we are talking about and what type of team you are trying to create

Milwaukee tried to bring in a bunch of shooters to put around Giannis.

I don't think their front office is doing as great of a job as Denver.

I worry about Jokic's size and his knees.

Giannis has a much better body type to be elite into his 30's.

Well Collins isn't a facilitator as it is, I think the flow of the game would give Jokic ample opportunities for assists. He probably wouldn't have many triple doubles, but his value to the team would still be very high. What he would have with Trae running the floor is far more easy baskets than he's getting in Denver.

Collins isn’t a facilitator he’s a black hole. Lol. He’d need to buy into some two-man give and gos a little more.

Jokic is just 10 months older than Giannis. More to the point, opportunities to win titles are rare. I'd take Jokic for the current Hawks' roster. I think they'd compete with the best fairly quickly.

Jokic is actually younger than Giannis by 10 months.

And with their style of play, I actually think Jokic has a longer prime. I wouldn’t be surprised if Giannis starts to breakdown a little bit before the end of his next contract.

Reactions: Fight r8rs Fight!
Age doesn't always equate shelf life...

I like Jokic.
But Giannis is almost unguardable. He has the ability to be a KD like player on the offensive end but with elite defense.

Giannis isn't close to his ceiling yet.

Just matters how many years we are talking about and what type of team you are trying to create

Milwaukee tried to bring in a bunch of shooters to put around Giannis.

I don't think their front office is doing as great of a job as Denver.

I worry about Jokic's size and his knees.

Giannis has a much better body type to be elite into his 30's.

I'm not looking at solo play as much as scheme and roster fit though. I think Jokic is far more adaptable for the high level of young talent The Hawks are developing. We have are catalyst, we need a dominant center who is smart and versatile, that defines Jokic.

images

THIS is what an elite basketball player looks like.

I'm not looking at solo play as much as scheme and roster fit though. I think Jokic is far more adaptable for the high level of young talent The Hawks are developing. We have are catalyst, we need a dominant center who is smart and versatile, that defines Jokic.

In basketball you have an alpha.
You put players around the alpha that make the team better. Especially in the NBA.
Throw a bunch of great players on the court and think you are going to win games.

IMO Atlanta needs to look at the team on the defensive end.
Need to get a total buy in from Trae Young that he can impact the game with his defense.

IMO you need a defensive big But someone that can play off of Trae Young.
Maybe the stretch the floor or play the pick and roll.
But defense should be #1

Pels screwed you last year.
Most thought Jaxson Hayes would end up there
He would have been what the Hawks needed.

They really need to find someone that can play with Young and Reddish.
Hunter might be as effective as Reddish. Huerter is going to be a good role player for a long time. You need more than stars, you need guys who can do the small things too.

Hawks will take Ice Okoro and he will instantly be the second best defender in team history behind Dikembe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT