ADVERTISEMENT

I think Gonzaga is getting over valued

rollsroyce8420

Gold Member
Dec 26, 2003
Dive into their body of work. They got a huge boost early in the season from beating Kansas, Iowa and Virginia when those teams were highly ranked. Looking back, none of those 3 teams were near as good as we thought. West Virginia and BYU were the only other good teams they played and both pushed them hard (BYU did once). Don’t get me wrong, they are good. But, it seems like the media is portraying them as a nearly unbeatable juggernaut and I think we’re going to find out that’s not the case.

I don’t think Gonzaga is historically great, but I do think they’re a a very good team, and that the rest of the field is historically underwhelming - which plays a big part in this.

I’m not sure anybody would be surprised at all to see a Michigan or Baylor test (or beat) Gonzaga - but I still feel that it’s Gonzaga’s to lose.

I don’t think Gonzaga is historically great, but I do think they’re a a very good team, and that the rest of the field is historically underwhelming - which plays a big part in this.

I’m not sure anybody would be surprised at all to see a Michigan or Baylor test (or beat) Gonzaga - but I still feel that it’s Gonzaga’s to lose.

Gonzaga should be tested from the elite 8 on. There are teams that can give them some problems and potentially beat them. That said, they are the favorite and should be ranked #1

This could turn out to be true OP. I haven't seen many games this year so I wouldn't try to agree or disagree. I think it's a legit theory you bring up though. I'd add, there is amazing pressure in these games and you never know how a team will handle that pressure when facing adversity.

Dive into their body of work. They got a huge boost early in the season from beating Kansas, Iowa and Virginia when those teams were highly ranked. Looking back, none of those 3 teams were near as good as we thought. West Virginia and BYU were the only other good teams they played and both pushed them hard (BYU did once). Don’t get me wrong, they are good. But, it seems like the media is portraying them as a nearly unbeatable juggernaut and I think we’re going to find out that’s not the case.
BYU isn't even a good team

Not historically great. They just appear to be relative to the field.

Baylor or USC could definitely beat them. Wouldn't be surprised to see Alabama beat them.

Reactions: texasbamafan
They a juggernaut in a year that could be classified as the special Olympics. No above average college basketball fan will look at this team as anything other than the team that didn't fall apart during COVID. They wouldn't be anything special any other year.

I think 2019 UVA beats this Gonzaga team 6/10 times. If they win it all, they'll be a worthy champion but I don't think they are an all-time great team.

Which is exactly why I don't want them to win. Because they'll be talked about as an all time great team since they went undefeated, even though many people won't consider them to be one. If they had a loss already, I'd be rooting for them. Just can't do it under these circumstances.

Undefeated team
Only one game was won by less that 10 points
Covered the spread in the first two games of the NCAA tournament
Currently projected to have 3 first round picks in the upcoming draft
Highest 2pt FG% in the history of college basketball

Yeah they are a great team, but not historically great. I would say they are the favorites, but not the overwhelming favorites. If someone told me "You get the field and I get Gonzaga." I would take that bet. There are many teams capable of beating them.

Reactions: duckboy33
I'd at least wait until they won the title before trying to find their place historically. Let's see what they do, how they do it, etc.

Yeah they are a great team, but not historically great. I would say they are the favorites, but not the overwhelming favorites. If someone told me "You get the field and I get Gonzaga." I would take that bet. There are many teams capable of beating them.
Well, duh.....

"Many teams capable of beating them..."

Many?

Well, duh.....

"Many teams capable of beating them..."

Many?

I think there are. It would take an off night from Gonzaga, but they had some close calls this season against not so great teams. Now maybe it was because they slept walked through the first half to three quarters, but still.

They a juggernaut in a year that could be classified as the special Olympics. No above average college basketball fan will look at this team as anything other than the team that didn't fall apart during COVID. They wouldn't be anything special any other year.
This team is better than last years team....Who was 31-2,and really good. Not sure why folk always wanna knock Gonzaga...

Reactions: UKcats1988
I think there are. It would take an off night from Gonzaga, but they had some close calls this season against not so great teams. Now maybe it was because they slept walked through the first half to three quarters, but still.
I don't think there are many....I think there's a few----And maybe no one outside of Baylor that could beat Gonzaga's "A" game. Look every great team has had close calls....Even lost. Well, they've had close calls----but have yet to lose. This team is very good. COVID, or not. I mean take out COVID, and at worse this team has maybe 1 or 2 losses---Maybe. COVID is a reason for some to diminish others success's...I'd put this Gonzaga team up against many of the past champs over the past 10-15 years.

Reactions: Villian07
I don't think there are many....I think there's a few----And maybe no one outside of Baylor that could beat Gonzaga's "A" game. Look every great team has had close calls....Even lost. Well, they've had close calls----but have yet to lose. This team is very good. COVID, or not. I mean take out COVID, and at worse this team has maybe 1 or 2 losses---Maybe. COVID is a reason for some to diminish others success's...I'd put this Gonzaga team up against many of the past champs over the past 10-15 years.

I agree with a lot of what you said. But none of it really addressed the topic.

this is post is great with a Queen "we are the champions" back drop

I just look at the players. Suggs kispert and timme are amazing players that could play for anyone in any past year and be one of the best players On the floor. Plus the other guys are pretty solid too, eap nemhard, Wilson, and AYAIA???

Reactions: RR30
Ahh. I thought since you quoted me, you were addressing my post. My mistake.
Maybe I did.....Hard to keep up. Jimbo said that this Gonzaga team wouldn't be anything special in a "normal year". I disagree.

Reactions: sgrooms
The question is, what team remaining can tempo the game to a lower gear and force Zags into half court? I'm not saying the Zags can't play half court either, but what I'm thinking is if the game is up tempo I don't think any team can stay with them.

This team is better than last years team....Who was 31-2,and really good. Not sure why folk always wanna knock Gonzaga...
As an indiana fan, surely you would agree that going undefeated this season wouldn’t rival IU’s year. The competition and lack of true road games is a huge difference.

Reactions: sgrooms
I think it’s pretty easy for people to try to shit on the Zags because COVID and the league they’re in, but they are a really really good team. Watching their offense when it clicks is just so much fun.

As far as comparison to past great teams, I’m a believer in not doing that as a general rule. That’s for the overpaid and underlaid sports writers who never could pick up a ball. You only have to play the game against your current competition so the rest is just smoke.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Suggs just takes the talent to another level. Gonzaga hasn't had a guy like that before. and it shows when he's on the floor.

As an indiana fan, surely you would agree that going undefeated this season wouldn’t rival IU’s year. The competition and lack of true road games is a huge difference.
It doesn't have too. I don't think had UNLV ran the table, their run would have rivaled IU's---Yet many consider that one of the best teams ever(not to win a title). Its unfair to compare Gonzaga to Indiana, IMO...Are they better? IDK....Was IU's raod tougher? Meh----maybe. The Big 10 wasn't very good in 1976 outside of IU and Michigan. IU did play a rugged OOC----#2 UCLA, #8 Notre Dame, #14 UK and #17 St. JOhns...BUT.....Gonzaga has played #12 Kansas,#8 Iowa, #15 West Virginia and #13 Virginia..

I mean IF there was no COVID----maybe they lose on the road---Maybe. I dunno. Sure its possible. Sure it could have gotten dicey @ BYU, St.Mary's----Maybe. This team is really good, man.

Again, IMO its not about if its comparable to IU. I mean TBH, is IU comparable to UK going 38-0? More games equals more opportunities to lose. Again,UNLV in 1991. They too played in a doo-doo conference. But that doesn't seem to keep people from feeling they were one of the best teams ever...And had they finished the deal? Would you have called them the best ever?

If Gonzaga runs the table, they deserve the accolades..And I think they will get to the title game...And if Baylor is waiting----its gonna be tough. Anyone else, and IMO Gonzaga will have to be off to get beat.

They are undefeated and #1. They just beat a good Creighton team by 20 to advance to the Elite 8. What more would you have them do? Should they call out the Lakers?

Lets play the "what if-game"- if Zags do win the title, how do you compare them vs these teams:

• 2012 Kentucky
  • 2009 UNC
  • 18 Nova
  • 2007 Florida

ADVERTISEMENT