I like the ACC and its football perks but deep down inside..

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by LockdownCard, Feb 25, 2015.

1. LockdownCard

LockdownCard Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I really miss the Big East. Conference alignment destroyed a beautiful thing.

Playing Duke/Unc on a yearly basis is exciting but those game just dont have that feel of playing Uconn or Cuse in Madison Square Garden. The fire isn't there really and the ACC is soft and sorta too laid back. Or maybe things just are hard to enjoy when your team hasn't been good as they have been in recent years.

I miss the Cincinnati rivalry. It was as intense as our uk rivalry. Hell the same can ve said about our rivalry with Wvu.

I even miss the Big East bottom feeders like Rutgers and South Florida. ACC ball isn't what I thought it would be.

Sorry just had to get that out of my system.

2. GSleas

GSleas Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

What about us?! Don't you miss us too?! Joking, but it is a shame how it fell apart. I'm enjoying the new conference and forming some new rivalries, but at it's peak, the BE conference of a few years ago was just awesome.

3. LockdownCard

Expand Collapse

I apologize my man. So many teams I forgot to mention nova and gtown. Seem like every school had a personal rival with each other for one reason or another. I remember when we first came to the Big East and you guys was loaded and knocked us on our asses a few times with that four guard line up.

4. GSleas

GSleas Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I hear that. I completely forgot about WVU, but your post really brought back some memories with them too. They had some awesome teams and playing down in Morgantown was never easy.

5. SoundSlave

SoundSlave Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I miss playing Cincy, but Louisville finally has some conference stability and it is a beautiful thing.

6. LockdownCard

Expand Collapse

Its nice but bittersweet at the same time.

7. LockdownCard

Expand Collapse

Another thing SS as far as conference stability is concerned, if you're not in the big ten or sec the conference you belong to can get picked apart at anytime if the right amount of money is involved.

8. UKBlitzkrieg

UKBlitzkrieg Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I'd say the Pac 12 is safe too.

9. SoundSlave

Expand Collapse

ACC is safe until 2026-27.

10. LockdownCard

Expand Collapse

Didn't we sign a rights agreement deal this summer?

11. Quavarius

Quavarius Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

OP, not sure what you mean by "ACC isn't what you thought it would be." What were you expecting?
    Posted from Rivals Mobile

12. PennJayhawk

PennJayhawk Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The round robin is fun and Big 12 teams are making much more money now, but I do wish we could go back in time at prevent MU, NU and CU from triggering all of the chaos. These super leagues just aren't as entertaining and they've led to too much argument about SOS within conferences. It's especially annoying when your rival can have an easier conf schedule.

13. champs99and04

champs99and04 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The Big East was one of those things that you can't really understand unless your team was actually in it. Between the proximity, large fan bases, and venues, it felt like you were playing a rival every night. The Big East tournament in MSG was one of the best sports events of the year.

I understand that basketball had very little to do with all the movement, which is why it's so easy to resent everybody that contributed to destroying a great thing.

14. LockdownCard

Expand Collapse

Basketball-wise it just isn't as fun as Big East ball. Not really a slight or shot to the ACC though.

15. Quavarius

Expand Collapse

Do you think that has to do with your own team as opposed to the conference? The ACC will never be the Big East just like the AAC wasn't the Big East last year. I was just trying to see what expectations you had that haven't been met.

16. Quavarius

Expand Collapse

Ahh, I noticed you already explained that your team not being fun may be one of the reasons so disregard my previous post.

17. Steelers2012

Steelers2012 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm tickled to death to now be a part of the ACC. But the one issue I have with the ACC currently is the reduced basketball TV exposure we now that we didn't experience in the Big East. UofL fans aren't used to not being able to watch all of our basketball games on TV.

18. LockdownCard

Expand Collapse

Its good football wise because you now can play top tier football programs that would never schedule you in the past.

19. LockdownCard

Expand Collapse

Yea im just having a hard time enjoying this new conference, most likely because of the team turmoil smh its just crazy that so much bullshit is happening at a time where fans should be having the time of our lives.

Any card fan that can honestly say this season has been a joy is clearly in all kinds of denial Quav.

20. LockdownCard

Expand Collapse

This x10

21. endicott

endicott Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Imagine how the real Big East pillars feel.

It sucks as a fan, can't imagine being the likes of a Syracuse or Connecticut giving it up.

22. LockdownCard

Expand Collapse

It seems like the first ten games were on espn3..you are spot on, the Big East/Espn tv contracts were lovely. Never missed a broadcast and dont let me express how I feel about foxsports network.

23. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

I miss the old Acc. Where everyone played twice. The rivalries were much more intense, and some of them have been going on for a very long time. Now having grown up and currently living in the middle of the old BE territory, I miss that as well. I was following and going to games before UConn making and winning the NIT was a big deal. Those days are over though. I am happy with the additions to the ACC and in time the rivalries will form. Duke already has what I consider a big rivalry that formed in under a year in Syracuse. I'm sure more will develop.

The ACC will be playing the tourney at MSG at times too. Just not all the time.

24. Duncan2588

Duncan2588 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

My ideal league:

B10 for hoops and academics
    SEC for football and travel/bowls
    B12 for history and hoops tourney in KC

25. champs99and04

champs99and04 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yup, it all goes back to my point that bigger is not better. Obviously the bigger conferences are better for the wallets and that's all that matters, but I don't need 15 teams in my conference, most of which are a lengthy plane ride away. The smaller leagues with more centrality are way better for the fans. It might be nice, as a Duke fan, to play teams like Syracuse and Louisville every year now, but it probably sucks that old rivals like Georgia Tech and Wake Forrest have been buried underneath all the expansion.

26. Duncan2588

Expand Collapse

Everybody has teams they would rather play. I only get interested by about 5 SEC schools in hoops. In football, everybody is interesting. I'm pretty sure I will die not giving a rip about the series with many SEC schools.

27. SoundSlave

Expand Collapse

I'm not a fan of the large conferences either; unfortunately that's just how things panned out. I think Louisville football only plays Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech twice, over the next 8 or so years. That's just ridiculous.

28. Duncan2588

Expand Collapse

Divisions are where teams are going to start identifying with imo. The coming history will really exist within divisions not so much the entire league.

At least for football. Just too many schools in the power leagues for hoops to build identity when you don't play home and home. Maybe in further expansion pods would build history with a few schools that you do home and home games with in a season.
    This post was edited on 2/26 3:16 PM by Duncan2588

29. LockdownCard

Expand Collapse

Excellent post sir!

30. LockdownCard

Expand Collapse

I wish uconn could've joined the ACC to, especially with the rivalry our womens teams developed even though we never beat your girls. If it wasn't for uconn we'd have two ncaaw titles. 2009 and 2013.

Jeff Walz and Geno should somehow try to at least schedule a series. Imo the Big East really vaulted our women's basketball program to levels I never thought I would see.

31. SoundSlave

Expand Collapse

Unfortunately for UCONN, the football schools of the ACC weren't having it...another cold weather northern basketball school.