ADVERTISEMENT

I feel like getting in a verbal argument with someone about college basketball - the thread

Gotta give the people something to read when they log back on later. Telling Kentucky fans they’re not the best will always provide readers with decent content.
Fake news. But yeah, everyone wants the king to be dethroned.

Funny thing is, UK fans recognize the tatic and laugh wholeheartedly at the attempt(s).

ncaaalltime2020.jpg

Almost was being slightly generous.
Kind of telling only one counts now.

This where it becomes convenient for some. 40's titles doesn't matter, wins back then don't matter, point shaving matters, wins doesn't matter, NIT's matter. Modern era is the way to go until it doesn't.

Picking and choosing is weak.

I'm going to have an aneurysm if we have another year of power conferences getting 34+ at-large bids. Effing hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Love to see schools like Belmont get in. Get these schools that go 8-10 and 9-9 in league play out of the tournament. They don't belong there, especially this year. Rooting for all of the good mid-majors.

I'm going to have an aneurysm if we have another year of power conferences getting 34+ at-large bids. Effing hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Love to see schools like Belmont get in. Get these schools that go 8-10 and 9-9 in league play out of the tournament. They don't belong there, especially this year. Rooting for all of the good mid-majors.
Agree, the NCAAT selections needs a major overhaul. Some teams are rewarded just for conference affiliation.

Agree, the NCAAT selections needs a major overhaul. Some teams are rewarded just for conference affiliation.

Part of my issue is the little guys just aren't given the same opportunity. It's a numbers game. Let's say the average team plays 13 OOC games. If we're examining top 50 games, there are only 650 games games available against top 50 opponents (50*13= 650). So, 650 / 353 D-1 Teams= 1.84. So on average, the typical team can play 2 OOC games against top 50 teams. Odds are, at least for a mid-major, both games will have to be on the road. Can't come up empty if you want a shot at an at-large bid.

Here are some records of at-large teams last year in Quad 1 Games:
Louisville: 4-11
Florida: 4-12
Ole Miss: 4-10
Oklahoma: 4-10
Iowa: 4-10
Ohio State: 4-10
Syracuse: 3-9

Do we really need all of these middle-of-the-road conference teams competing for a national title?
----------------------
And here are some Quad 1 records of a few of the mid-majors that won their tournament:
Liberty: 2-0
Saint Mary's: 2-6
UC Irvine: 1-2
Old Dominioin: 1-0

None of those 4 schools would have made the NCAAs had they not won their conference tournament (Liberty and UC Irvine both won a game in the tourney, too). It's just amazingly unrealistic.

One team that I've followed moderately close the past few seasons is Saint Mary's. They missed the tournament in 2016 when they went 27-5. They missed the tournament in 2018 when they went 28-5. I don't remember their exact record versus top 50 teams those years, but I want to say it was something like 2-1 one year, and 2-2 the other year. It's unbelievable the expectations the committee sets for the mid-majors. People have seen first hand this year how GOOD teams struggle against ordinary mid-majors. Now, think if you had no choice to play 20 games against sub-150 opponents. Odds are, the typical top 50 program would have multiple bad losses if they were dealt the same schedule.

I have learned Duke>KU
KU fans have gave up trying to provide stats of being better, UK fans still have stats to show UK is still the best in the past 10 years. It's a way of thinking mixed with on court results.

For fans to hide behind other teams to dethrone UK is a testament of how rent free UK is in their minds.

KU fans have gave up trying to provide stats of being better, UK fans still have stats to show UK is still the best in the past 10 years. It's a way of thinking mixed with on court results.

For fans to hide behind other teams to dethrone UK is a testament of how rent free UK is in their minds.

Dude....calm down.

Everyone agrees that UK is top 5 in the modern era. Without question.

Reactions: Monorojo

There’s just more power conference teams now. Teams like Butler, Wichita State, and Creighton still make the dance. Those teams are just “power conference” now as opposed to mid-majors 10 years ago.

Part of my issue is the little guys just aren't given the same opportunity. It's a numbers game. Let's say the average team plays 13 OOC games. If we're examining top 50 games, there are only 650 games games available against top 50 opponents (50*13= 650). So, 650 / 353 D-1 Teams= 1.84. So on average, the typical team can play 2 OOC games against top 50 teams. Odds are, at least for a mid-major, both games will have to be on the road. Can't come up empty if you want a shot at an at-large bid.

Do we really need all of these middle-of-the-road conference teams competing for a national title?
----------------------
And here are some Quad 1 records of a few of the mid-majors that won their tournament:

None of those 4 schools would have made the NCAAs had they not won their conference tournament (Liberty and UC Irvine both won a game in the tourney, too). It's just amazingly unrealistic.

One team that I've followed moderately close the past few seasons is Saint Mary's. They missed the tournament in 2016 when they went 27-5. They missed the tournament in 2018 when they went 28-5. I don't remember their exact record versus top 50 teams those years, but I want to say it was something like 2-1 one year, and 2-2 the other year. It's unbelievable the expectations the committee sets for the mid-majors. People have seen first hand this year how GOOD teams struggle against ordinary mid-majors. Now, think if you had no choice to play 20 games against sub-150 opponents. Odds are, the typical top 50 program would have multiple bad losses if they were dealt the same schedule.

St. Mary’s is def a school that has been given the shaft a few times lately. But they are becoming more the exception than the rule. Lately there just haven’t been a ton of deserving mid-majors. I wish it weren’t true but it’s been the case.

Also, plenty of mid-majors get chances in the holiday tournaments. Gotta win the games. VCU got two Quad 1 chances in Emerald Coast Classic—they lost both. That’s on them, not the committee. And ultimately it hurts their entire conference. Have to be better.

----------------------

Nah

Fact: Purdue doesn’t have a single championship, and haven’t been to final four since Jimmy Carter was in office. So basically...

giphy.gif
Purdue is absolutely terrible at everything in sports. Just f'n miserable. It's embarrassing to the rest of sports fans.

Sorry, let me be more concise. Purdue sucks at a very high level.

St. Mary’s is def a school that has been given the shaft a few times lately. But they are becoming more the exception than the rule. Lately there just haven’t been a ton of deserving mid-majors. I wish it weren’t true but it’s been the case.

Also, plenty of mid-majors get chances in the holiday tournaments. Gotta win the games. VCU got two Quad 1 chances in Emerald Coast Classic—they lost both. That’s on them, not the committee. And ultimately it hurts their entire conference. Have to be better.

VCU is probably in an okay situation because their conference is halfway decent. I think they're safely in the tournament as of right now. But, most mid-majors don't get the same opportunities as VCU.

I mentioned Belmont getting an at-large last year. That was nice to see. Now take their crosstown rival, Lipscomb. They didn't get a bid, but advanced all the way to the NIT Final. In the regular season, they defeated TCU and SMU on the road. They lost to Louisville on the road by 4. Also, lost to Clemson on the road. They lost twice to their rivals, Belmont. They went 1-2 against Liberty (Round of 32 team), losing in the conference tournament final. Overall record was 25-7 in the regular season. Finished 45th in the KenPom rankings. They were worthy of a bid, IMO.

My contention is that bubble teams from power conferences get the benefit of the doubt, all the time. I posted the records of 7 schools that all had very poor records in Quad 1 Games. All 7 schools won less than 30% of their Quad 1 Games. Lipscomb went 2-3 in Quad 1 Games (40%). And the 3 losses were by a combined 12 points. I'm not saying we need 4 or 5 more mid-majors every year, but almost ever year there is always one deserving mid-major that is left out. The most egregious omission was probably Utah State in 2004. They lost 3 games in the regular season. Once on the road to Utah (tournament team). And the other two were by a combined 5 points.

Just rip on UK, Duke, UnC, or Kansas OP. Fans of those programs can’t help themselves if you are to delittle their programs

ADVERTISEMENT