ADVERTISEMENT

I don’t like the NBA play-in tournament

HailToPitt725

May 16, 2016
Team
Pittsburgh
I get why they did it during the Bubble, but what’s the point of it now? Everyone is playing a balanced schedule and the league is back to a full 82-game schedule. Seems like it’s just a money grab for the television ratings. Too bad the Cavs got bumped from a playoff spot, but they have a bright future. Just my opinion!

It seems fair to me. Even though it has a single elimination format, as 7 or 8 seed you just need to win one game out of two to make the playoffs, while 9 and 10 seeds need to win both games. The argument is that you probably dont deserve to make the playoffs, if you cant win at least one out of the two play-in games.

It seems fair to me. Even though it has a single elimination format, as 7 or 8 seed you just need to win one game out of two to make the playoffs, while 9 and 10 seeds need to win both games. The argument is that you probably dont deserve to make the playoffs, if you cant win at least one out of the two play-in games.
I don’t disagree that it’s fair, but I do think that it further dilutes the value of the regular season.

Is it really an eight-team playoff if the last two seeds aren’t guaranteed playoff berths? Essentially, 2/3 of the entire conference is getting in now. Are people still a fan of it when a 20+ win team makes it?

I don’t disagree that it’s fair, but I do think that it further dilutes the value of the regular season.

Is it really an eight-team playoff if the last two seeds aren’t guaranteed playoff berths? Essentially, 2/3 of the entire conference is getting in now. Are people still a fan of it when a 20+ win team makes it?
The value of regular season was already diluted the moment 2016 finals happened. After the 73-9 Warriors were defeated by the Cavaliers, no one cared much about regular season anymore. Nowadays I dont even watch the NBA regular season, its meaningless to me.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I don't mind it. It's enjoyable and these teams aren't winning the title anyway.

The value of regular season was already diluted the moment 2016 finals happened. After the 73-9 Warriors were defeated by the Cavaliers, no one cared much about regular season anymore. Nowadays I dont even watch the NBA regular season, its meaningless to me.
I can see that line of reasoning but I believe it has more to do with star players sitting out more frequently and the lack of parity made the regular season product less compelling. Regardless, I think they should decrease the length of the regular season.

If I was in 80's elementary school, I would describe the NBA play-in as "gay".

82 games should be enough to determine who should be in the playoffs unless there is an actual tie breaker required.

I like it. Creates more intrigue in the final two to three weeks of the regular season and actually prevents some teams from packing it in and resting everyone. If anything I’d say it enhances the regular season for teams in the 6-11 seed lines. Maybe even 5 seed depending on the record.

5-6 seeds desperately want to avoid the play in and will work hard to win what would otherwise be meaningless games down the stretch.

It worked out really well for the East because the 7-10 seeds all had 44 or 43 wins. The West could have gone without it. We didn’t need to give the Spurs or Pelicans a chance. The Pelicans also got gifted a spot because PG13 couldn’t play due to Covid.

I don’t mind it. More basketball and the low seeds are playing like their life depends on it. It’s a fun watch. Aside from Charlotte getting absolutely destroyed. Didn’t see that coming..

ADVERTISEMENT