Huggs doing a hell of a job this year

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by doogie503, Feb 24, 2015.

1. doogie503

doogie503 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Picked to finish 7th in the Big 12, lose 2 of your top 3 scorers to transfer, playing mostly freshmen, sophs and first year juco guys...but somehow sitting at 22-6 and 10-5 in the conference. Actually have an outside shot to win the conference title.

People were acting like Huggy Bear was finished. Guess he' still got some gas left in the tank.

2. KisteK

KisteK Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

He has done a fantastic job this season.

But you forgot to include that he returns the reigning Big XII player of the year ('14), at the most important position.

Still, hats off!

3. doogie503

Expand Collapse

True, but Staten is actually having a down year.

Still having a good year averaging close to 15 ppg, but his assists are down and he's had injury issues most of the year.

4. doogie503

Expand Collapse

Is he a lock for Big 12 COY?

5. KisteK

KisteK Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

He'd get my vote. I mean, if I had one (WHICH I SHOULD).

6. W2R

W2R Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Please do not be in our bracket and no 1-3-1

7. billyinky14

billyinky14 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I couldn't agree more. Huggins would have his kids way up for that matchup.

8. Cyclonacity

Cyclonacity Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Well done WVU. I enjoy watching you guys playing anyone but us lol.

9. doogie503

Expand Collapse

Huggs has had a ton of success against Cal, but I want no part of this years UK team. haha

Unfortunately most of the brackets predict us to be in there with UK. They love that Cal vs Huggs matchup.

We have been pressing all year and haven't used the 1-3-1, but he did go with a 1-1-3 zone today for the first time this year. Gave Texas a bunch of trouble late in the game.

10. W2R

W2R Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

11. doogie503

Expand Collapse

"Dont worry, Huggs. I'm Cal's cousin. I won't let you die until he beats you once." haha

Huggs tells a Cal story at least once a month in a interview or on his radio show.

Another one of his go-to Cal stories is where he says they're riding through Memphis and Cal has a big roll of money with a rubber band around it. They drive by a homeless guy with the back falling off his shoe. Cal tells the driver to stop and pulls out the big wad of cash and takes the rubber band off...... hands it to the guy and says, "Yo, put this on your shoe!" [​IMG]

Doubt that's true, but he loves to tell it anyways.

Great friends... more like brothers.

This post was edited on 2/24 11:12 PM by doogie503

12. SoundSlave

SoundSlave Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Loved to hate him when he was at Cincy, but he's turned into one of my favorite coaches at WVU.

13. Jkwo

Jkwo Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Wouldn't surprise me. Cal donates crazy amounts of money to charities and to causes around town. I mean many of our coaches have, since they get paid a lot, but Cal is zealous with it.

[​IMG]

Coaching friendships are interesting - who likes and dislikes who. Cal and Izzo are close, and I'm pretty certain so are Cal and Self.
    I know he doesn't get along with Pitino, Calhoun, or Stallings at all.

Just as interesting is the politics involved with friendships w/ sports writers. Certain writers hate certain coaches, not for the same reasons that rival fans do usually, but more because of some spat in the past that caused the coach to stop giving the writer access to the program.

For example, when Goodman comes to town, Cal doesn't put him down on press row with the other national writers. He makes him sit way up high because the guy craps on Andrew relentlessly (amongst other things, but that's a big one). Pat Forde and Pete Thamel get the same treatment (if you don't know why, it only takes about 2 minutes of googling to figure it out). On the other hand, a lot of other national writers really like Cal, like Parish and Doyell. But he doesn't play nice with them, because how much more publicity does he really need?

Certain coaches like Donovan and Self are really really buddy buddy with the media, make the writers feel special, and work it to their advantage to get nice stories written. Listening to the CBS eye on CBB podcast, you can hear how they drool over certain coaches, and when you see how they interact at AAU events, it all makes sense (besides the fact that Donovan and Self are legends anyways).

14. doogie503

Expand Collapse

Maybe I didnt tell his story/joke right. But Huggs said Cal took out the money and took off the rubber band. Gave the homeless guy the rubber band to fix his shoe and put the money back in his pocket. haha

Would love to be a fly on a wall when those two sit down for some beers and start telling stories and talking hoops

15. Jkwo

Jkwo Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Oh - hahah. That is a weird story. Although it sounds a little too specific too make up. Maybe he gave him a little cash to get a new pair and a rubber band to hold it in the mean time?

Dunno, but they both are pretty entertaining guys. I'm partial to the coaches who just kind of say what's on their mind even if it wasn't the question that the interviewer asked (not the guys who just treat people like garbage - but just confident and outspoken).

Those two guys, Pearl, Tark, Majerus - Bilas if he ever became a coach, etc.

16. Spacegrass

Spacegrass Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Huggy is the kind of dude I would want my kid to play for.

17. xWVU2010x

xWVU2010x Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

We obviously do not want any part of UK either, however the committee seems to like the storyline, can easily see them putting us on a collision course to meet in the Sweet 16. The rematch in 2011 following us knocking off the John Wall team seemed forced because if I remember correctly most people projected UK as a 2 or 3 seed, and the committee seems to like it when March "rivalries" start.

I think we have Final Four potential so long as we avoid UK until that point, no one else in the country scares me.

Disclaimer - Just because I think we have Final Four potential, does not mean that I expect WVU to go that far, we are probably more likely to get picked off by a 13 or 12 seed.

18. PennJayhawk

PennJayhawk Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse