ADVERTISEMENT

How's Everyone's Summer Going?

Summer starts June 21, but we have been kayaking several times and we have scheduled to go diving in Florida later this month. I have been enjoying the Vols kicking ass in baseball and look forward to the postseason.

My limited garden is doing well and I plan to do some canning.
Do you can tomato juice della?

Do you can tomato juice della?
No, tomato halves or qtrs. I'll do just the tomatoes straight up and I'll do stewed which will have salt, garlic, onion, poblano peppers and jalapeno. I do it that way so I can be flexible on what type of dish I'm going to use it for.

Reactions: cdbearde
No, tomato halves or qtrs. I'll do just the tomatoes straight up and I'll do stewed which will have salt, garlic, onion, poblano peppers and jalapeno. I do it that way so I can be flexible on what type of dish I'm going to use it for.
The juice is one of the few garden things I have not tried to can, I have canned whole peeled ones. If you have never grown any Brandywine, please give them a try sometime, they are an heirloom, and are large and pink, they have an old fashion taste like tomatoes had when I was growing up in the 60's before all the hybrid stuff showed up.
Anyway to answer the OP, I garden and work through the summer. 👍

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
The juice is one of the few garden things I have not tried to can, I have canned whole peeled ones. If you have never grown any Brandywine, please give them a try sometime, they are an heirloom, and are large and pink, they have an old fashion taste like tomatoes had when I was growing up in the 60's before all the hybrid stuff showed up.
Anyway to answer the OP, I garden and work through the summer. 👍
Heirloom tomatoes 🍅 are where it is at. I like Brandywine, Rutgers, Cherokee purples are alll great heirlooms, but my favorite is Mortgage lifters.

I use to do a big garden, but now I only grow what the store can’t match in quality.

Heirloom tomatoes 🍅 are where it is at. I like Brandywine, Rutgers, Cherokee purples are alll great heirlooms, but my favorite is Mortgage lifters.

I use to do a big garden, but now I only grow what the store can’t match in quality.
Yes mam, heirloom is the way, I normally put out 40 plants, this year I have had problems with doctor visits and the rest so I only put out 12, my fellow employees are going to be disappointed, but life happens. 😉
I have tried the Mortgage Lifters, and even read the history on them, they are really good also.

Reactions: della
Yes mam, heirloom is the way, I normally put out 40 plants, this year I have had problems with doctor visits and the rest so I only put out 12, my fellow employees are going to be disappointed, but life happens. 😉
I have tried the Mortgage Lifters, and even read the history on them, they are really good also.
Life has happened to me too. I get my sweet corn from a friend now who has a farm. We pick it and then rush it home to blanch it and then freeze it and of course the tomato's I grow. I actually grow a couple of pepper plants too.

Edit: I'm also into fermenting pickles, but I'm going to get the cumbers, dill and grape leaves from a friend.

FVCK, just found out Friggen Biden is going to be in Israel the same time I'm there. I'm sure that's gonna make traffic from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem friggen horrible. And probably more suicide bombers.

I think he's speaking at the opening ceremonies. At least when i went in 2013 Obama had the decency to just send in a pre recorded video clip.

FVCK, just found out Friggen Biden is going to be in Israel....And probably more suicide bombers.
MdqD.gif

• Haha
Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Had a great time down at Rosemary Beach off 30A (Florida panhandle) this weekend. Wife’s 34th. The water was more clear than it’s been in a few years and the temp was perfect.

Headed to Miami for work Thursday, but the work will be dinner in a massive house in Pinecrest so won’t be all bad.

Then the 19th we head to Atlantic Beach for a week. Water isn’t as nice as 30A but sure do love the area and the sunrise views over the water from the back patio.

@coryfly when y’all headed to SGI?
This place is awesome. The beach is just great. There is hardly anyone here. It’s crazy. Spent tonight in Apalachicola and ate at The Owl Cafe, which was tremendous. Legit one of my favorite vacation restaurants I’ve ever been to. Probably will head back Friday maybe and check out the shops.

Reactions: GE Nole
Retired in April. Golf in Pa, Bluffton, SC, Hilton Head and Myrtle and Raleigh. 3-4 times per week.

This place is awesome. The beach is just great. There is hardly anyone here. It’s crazy. Spent tonight in Apalachicola and ate at The Owl Cafe, which was tremendous. Legit one of my favorite vacation restaurants I’ve ever been to. Probably will head back Friday maybe and check out the shops.

Love to hear it! Yeah, Owl Cafe is legit good. Make sure you walk down the street a block or so and get some of the fresh made gelato.

Also, great timing weather wise. Couple weeks ago it was 100+ every day and many years in early July we have slow moving tropical storms. Well done!

St. Barts in late December, that is awesome. Well done on life and vacation choice! We did St. Lucia in January in 2021 and St. Maarten in January in 2022, but have been thinking about doing a mid-December one instead.

Would love to hear your experience!
Caneel Bay in St John is sweet.

Love to hear it! Yeah, Owl Cafe is legit good. Make sure you walk down the street a block or so and get some of the fresh made gelato.

Also, great timing weather wise. Couple weeks ago it was 100+ every day and many years in early July we have slow moving tropical storms. Well done!
Yeah, we got here last night and will leave Sunday. The weather is absolutely perfect. We will probably come back with our daughter next summer.

Hey, do you know anything about the spice shop (Some Like It Hotter or something like that). Seems to be gone. Also, what is the name of the gelato store? Is it the Chocolate and Coffee Company?

Not summer. But pretty stoked about Thanksgiving. Booked an airbnb outside of Bryson City for a 5 day weekend. Daughter will be 3 months old, so a bit of a wildcard. But I have good feelings. House is right on the river, going to try my hand at trout fishing.

Yeah, we got here last night and will leave Sunday. The weather is absolutely perfect. We will probably come back with our daughter next summer.

Hey, do you know anything about the spice shop (Some Like It Hotter or something like that). Seems to be gone. Also, what is the name of the gelato store? Is it the Chocolate and Coffee Company?
I am old and don't know how to do the multi quote, although I tried.
You and @GE Nole make southern Florida sound awesome, we have never been south of Orlando. When I retire in hopefully a year or two, I would like to visit the towns you two talked about.

Reactions: della

Never been to the spice shop. But yes, Chocolate and Coffee Company is the gelato. Just know they keep random hours. Well at least pre-covid they did. It is/was owned by some random old dude who grows a lot of the fruit for the gelato on his land. From what I can tell he doesn’t need the money just likes running a shop. But he would close randomly like 2 hours early if it wasn’t busy because he felt like going home lol. Maybe he’s hired some people now…

I am old and don't know how to do the multi quote, although I tried.
You and @GE Nole make southern Florida sound awesome, we have never been south of Orlando. When I retire in hopefully a year or two, I would like to visit the towns you two talked about.

FYI, we are talking about northern Florida on the gulf. St. George Island is about 2 hours south southwest of Tallahassee.

Unless it’s the keys, I try to avoid south Florida hahaha.

FYI, we are talking about northern Florida on the gulf. St. George Island is about 2 hours south southwest of Tallahassee.

Marco Island is nice.

Pool being put in this month. Bought a new company truck that I already dented up twice and have an Indian wedding in San Diego in august. Pretty exciting summer.

Going to 2 of the hottest cities in the country in Houston and Las Vegas starting tomorrow. Daughter lives there with her family, she's got 2 little girls ages 4 and 1, haven't met them in person so I'm looking forward to that. From there flying to Vegas to see my son and his family, grandson is 11. Gonna do some gambling, make some future bets but all in all seeing my kids/grandkids its what I'm really looking forward to. Also I booked a first class ticket so I'm anxious to see the difference between that and economy.

I try to avoid the panhandle. 😁 I still have friends that go to PCB for vacation, as adults. I try to tell them we're not in high school anymore. That place is an absolute dump. The worst Florida has to offer. They need to broaden their horizons. My family used to vacation in Destin (and Gulf Shores, AL) when I was young, but that was before it was a well-known vacation destination and wasn't so crowded like it is now.

I try to avoid the panhandle. 😁 I still have friends that go to PCB for vacation, as adults. I try to tell them we're not in high school anymore. That place is an absolute dump. The worst Florida has to offer. They need to broaden their horizons. My family used to vacation in Destin (and Gulf Shores, AL) when I was young, but that was before it was a well-known vacation destination and wasn't so crowded like it is now.

PCB is absolutely not my idea of an adult vacation. That and Daytona Beach, I avoid as much as possible. Just not my vibe.

But where @coryfly is at, that’s totally different. It’s called the Forgotten Coast for a reason. You can walk with your dog along miles of powder white sand and nice water and not see more than 25 people. No condos or high rises or tourist traps. Private beach homes and bungalows, maybe a small inn, and some old cottages. Dive bars and family owned restaurants.

Along the 30A stretch you’re talking about, Destin is indeed too crowded now. But places like Rosemary Beach and Watercolor are spectacular.

PCB is absolutely not my idea of an adult vacation. That and Daytona Beach, I avoid as much as possible. Just not my vibe.

But where @coryfly is at, that’s totally different. It’s called the Forgotten Coast for a reason. You can walk with your dog along miles of powder white sand and nice water and not see more than 25 people. No condos or high rises or tourist traps. Private beach homes and bungalows, maybe a small inn, and some old cottages. Dive bars and family owned restaurants.

Along the 30A stretch you’re talking about, Destin is indeed too crowded now. But places like Rosemary Beach and Watercolor are spectacular.
I appreciate that info, we will have to give Rosemary a try. We won't have to travel through Atlanta to get there, and that's awesome. Sorry that I misunderstood about being in southern Florida, at my age, less driving is what I want. 👍

We went to Ft. Walton last year, and loved it. We decided one day to mosey on over to Destin...

**** that place. Took us 5 minutes to get there---but seemingly a week to get the **** out.

FW Beach just seemed like a town, ya know? Lots of little dives to eat at....little mom and pop shops. Just loved it.

I’ll second that. Rosemary and places around it are cool. It isn’t as cool as somewhere like St. George or Tybee Island but way better than the tourist hell nightmares like PCB.

This place (SGI) is right up there with Tybee for me now. The water is really calm. Not sure if that’s always the case. I don’t care either way but my wife likes it calm.

Nole, we ate at Half Shell tonight. Are leaving the beach at lunch tomorrow to spend all day at the shops and try that Gelato place and probably eat at Hole in the Wall and then Up The Creek Saturday.

Last edited:

Ah yes, Daytona.... the redneck riviera. 😂

Daytona and PCB are places I feel like tourists that don't know any better go. They went as kids or during spring break in HS or college and just keep going back because it's familiar. They probably have no clue what else Florida has to offer, so they stick to those shitholes. I live in the Tampa Bay Area, specifically St. Pete Beach. I feel like people have just recently discovered how awesome it is so now a lot more spring breakers and summer vacationers make their way down here. Can’t say I blame them. The gulf side is 1000x better than anything the Atlantic has to offer, imo. A lot of transplants that live here are from the Midwest and Northeast and we get a ton of Canadians that live here during the winter it seems.

If I’m doing touristy I’m probably doing Gulf Shores/Orange Beach. But since I can afford not to I just don’t see the point. I’ve never been to anything in south Florida so there could be some nice spots there maybe??

Also, for all my Kentucky bourbon people out there I brought a fifth of Longbranch, Jefferson’s, and Knob Creek.

Last edited:
I’ll second that. Rosemary and places around it are cool. It isn’t as cool as somewhere like St. George or Tybee Island but way better than the tourist hell nightmares like PCB.

This place (SGI) is right up there with Tuber for me now. The water is really calm. Not sure if that’s always the case. I don’t care either way but my wife likes it calm.

Nole, we ate at Half Shell tonight. Are leaving the beach at lunch tomorrow to spend all day at the shops and try that Gelato place and probably eat at Hole in the Wall and then Up The Creek Saturday.

Sounds like y’all are having a great time. Yeah, the water is mostly calm, unless of course there’s a storm in the gulf. Hole in the Wall is solid. Better than Boss Oyster.

If I’m doing touristy I’m probably doing Gulf Shores/Orange Beach. But since I can afford not to I just don’t see the point. I’ve never been to anything in south Florida so there could be some nice spots there maybe??

Also, for all my Kentucky bourbon people out there I brought a fifth of Longbranch, Jefferson’s, and Knob Creek.

Great bourbon choices. What has been the one you’re reaching for most?

Key West is a tourist trap. But there’s some spots in the middle keys like Marathon that feel like an awful like Apalachicola and SGI. Except with more clear water.

Great bourbon choices. What has been the one you’re reaching for most?

Key West is a tourist trap. But there’s some spots in the middle keys like Marathon that feel like an awful like Apalachicola and SGI. Except with more clear water.

Jeffersons. Always.

This place (SGI) is right up there with Tybee for me now.
Love that place.....Been years since I've been there. Going to visit my niece after surgery/health issues. She lives in Bluffton. SO will get down to Tybee, I am sure.

Love that place.....Been years since I've been there. Going to visit my niece after surgery/health issues. She lives in Bluffton. SO will get down to Tybee, I am sure.

Yeah, it’s great. We have stayed on the bay and ocean side and both are cool.

2 weeks into a new job after retiring in 2017. I get to work from my home office and the pay is great. Thinking about buying a 2022 Fatboy. Awesome looking bike. Great for road trips, which I plan on doing. Also thinking about going to the Bahamas in Aug. If I can get some UK tickets that would be cool too.

I'm wanting to get to the golf course, but a nagging shoulder injury is keeping me away.

Loved Tybee Island. One of my favorite get-aways when I lived in Atlanta.

Finishing up my fourth semester of Nurse Practitioner school and first semester of clinicals. Enjoy my first summer in my new house and randomly watching videos of KU’s NC run. Life is good.

My wife finally decided to quit driving her 2009 laredo so I bought a new Titan pro4x (nobody buys titans) and gave her the 2020 Pathfinder. Came home today to find out she traded the 2020 for the 2022 Pathfinder. It's really nice, but added another $100/mo to the payment. In two years we went from no car payments, to +/- $600/mo to $1600/mo in car payments. Thankfully we both have recession proof incomes.

I like the look, though. It's like the Walmart of luxury vehicles.

20220423-084333.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT