ADVERTISEMENT

How would you fix UVA's NCAA tourney issues?

They need to fire Tony Bennett in order to cure their March Madness woes, once a choke artist, always a choke artist. The problem is, they are most likely not able to find a better coach than him unless a miracle happens, and you have to make it to the tournament before thinking about a deep tournament run.

Tough situation, maybe they should just settle in mediocrity with Tony Bennett, at least they should still be able to make it to NCAA or NIT tournament under him.

They need to fire Tony Bennett in order to cure their March Madness woes, once a choke artist, always a choke artist. The problem is, they are most likely not able to find a better coach than him unless a miracle happens, and you have to make it to the tournament before thinking about a deep tournament run.

Tough situation, maybe they should just settle in mediocrity with Tony Bennett, at least they should still be able to make it to NCAA or NIT tournament under him.

What in the actual fvck? I would not take this person's advice. Bennett can get you to a final four. It's taken many coaches several years longer to get there than Bennett has been trying. Have some patience, you'll be fine.

Two, you were playing without your most important player. Three, you guys just ran into a buzzsaw and your players looked scared as shit and panicked.

#2..even without that player no way should Virginia have gotten blown out

#3..not buying it because playing in the ACC should have prepared them for that game..they didn't look scared and panicked during their ACC run

What in the actual fvck? I would not take this person's advice. Bennett can get you to a final four. It's taken many coaches several years longer to get there than Bennett has been trying. Have some patience, you'll be fine.

Well I did suggest UVA fans to just have patience with Bennett. He aint gonna take them anywhere close to final four, but at least he does get his team to play well in regular season. A team like UVA cannot find good coaches easily, they may end up with worse than Bennett.

Consider this situation, You are diagnosed with a deadly disease, two possible solutions are available. 1. Take a drug that guarantees you will live for another 10-20 years, but you will suffer in pain and will hardly be able to enjoy. 2. Complete a surgery that has a 5% chance to cure this disease for you, but you will die immediately if it fails. What will you do then?
:(

Well I did suggest UVA fans to just have patience with Bennett. He aint gonna take them anywhere close to final four, but at least he does get his team to play well in regular season. A team like UVA cannot find good coaches easily, they may end up with worse than Bennett.

Consider this situation, You are diagnosed with a deadly disease, two possible solutions are available. 1. Take a drug that guarantees you will live for another 10-20 years, but you will suffer in pain and will hardly be able to enjoy. 2. Complete a surgery that has a 5% chance to cure this disease for you, but you will die immediately if it fails. What will you do then?
:(

So an Elite Eight isn't close to a final four?

tenor.gif

What's the solution? Clearly, there's something that works well in the regular season and is failing to work in the NCAA tournament. Is the regular season success a fluke? Or is the NCAA failure a fluke? Both? Neither? Is it all style of play? Is the solution just to play faster? I'm clueless on how we could go 31-2 before the NCAA tourney and then lose by 20 points to a 16-seed.
The regular season success is not a fluke mossy. It’s part of the process. If Bennett is the great coach he appears to be, he will adjust. When you run in to teams that can break down the defense, which is inevitable in post season play, you may need to break away from the mold more. JMO and this tournament aside what UVA has done has been impressive.

I hear hookers and cash works! Or at least until you have to give the success back.

Reactions: jhmossy
So an Elite Eight isn't close to a final four?
tenor.gif

I was saying that Bennett will not take them close to final four in future, as I said in another thread that they would suffer setbacks and return to mediocrity. He took them there once, but it will not happen again after this historical upset. JT III used to take Georgetown to final four with a fluke run 2007, and then he became the worst choke artist in March madness and never got out of 2nd round again.

I believe the biggest difference between JTIII and TB is that one is a good/great basketball coach and the other not so much.

Reactions: tw3301
As others have said, they need more offensive possessions.

But, that said I think people here are really underselling Kyle Guy. He is 100% a go to scorer and he's on his way to being elite at that. McDonald's AA, 1st team all ACC as a soph. I see him having the same impact as his bun brother down in Houston by the time he's a senior. He'll be in the running for first team all american before his college career is over.

They don't need more offensive possessions. They need to be more efficient on that end.

Our best teams were as slow or slower. We didn't lose to a 16.

Play all the defense you want, but you have to put points on the board to win . UVA style is to play slow and force the other team to play slow and miss shots. Where UVA struggles is when a team is hitting shots and get s a lead, UVA can not score in bunches. It is hard or impossible to change what you have been all year in one game. Hence you are susceptible to a team getting hot and send you home. UVA wants the score to be in the 50's and 60's, elite high school teams score more than that.

Reactions: mkuwonder
They don't need more offensive possessions. They need to be more efficient on that end.

Our best teams were as slow or slower. We didn't lose to a 16.
Not sure what school you are a fan of, but how many NCAA wins do you have and/or National titles?

Another thought about what Bennett could do differently.

He could use the pre-season (Nov-Dec) to run an up tempo offense for 3-5 minutes a half just so the guys get experience getting a shot off before there is less than 5 seconds on the shot clock. Make them run sets that get a shot up with at least 15 seconds remaining so they at least won't be completely out of their comfort zones should the need arise during a game that actually matters.

Another thought about what Bennett could do differently.

He could use the pre-season (Nov-Dec) to run an up tempo offense for 3-5 minutes a half just so the guys get experience getting a shot off before there is less than 5 seconds on the shot clock. Make them run sets that get a shot up with at least 15 seconds remaining so they at least won't be completely out of their comfort zones should the need arise during a game that actually matters.

Yeah I'm hoping this will be the catalyst to really start experimenting offensively. Letting more players play early on and trying different systems. He's accomplished all you can in the regular season. Losing some of those games isn't a big deal. If it helps with the tournament, he should do whatever it takes.

Reactions: UNC71-00
What's the solution? Clearly, there's something that works well in the regular season and is failing to work in the NCAA tournament. Is the regular season success a fluke? Or is the NCAA failure a fluke? Both? Neither? Is it all style of play? Is the solution just to play faster? I'm clueless on how we could go 31-2 before the NCAA tourney and then lose by 20 points to a 16-seed.

You all aren't very talented. Honestly I was quietly waiting for tubby to have the first 1 seed to lose to a 16. His teams were on average quite a bit more talented than modern day uva's.

Yeah I'm hoping this will be the catalyst to really start experimenting offensively. Letting more players play early on and trying different systems. He's accomplished all you can in the regular season. Losing some of those games isn't a big deal. If it helps with the tournament, he should do whatever it takes.

Yep. And he needs to do it in the "big" games in Nov-Dec. Winning a game doesn't really matter if UVa is playing the #1 team in the country over Thanksgiving. Make the guys play fast on offense for at least a 4 minute segment each half and see what needs to be tweaked, then practice and pull it out again when ahead in a blowout game against Moo or BC or Pitt.

UVa would benefit greatly from having another gear to use when necessary.

You all aren't very talented. Honestly I was quietly waiting for tubby to have the first 1 seed to lose to a 16. His teams were on average quite a bit more talented than modern day uva's.

I disagree. They are pretty talented, if not particularly deep. Losing Hunter was huge and almost certainly the reason they lost on Friday as that guy can get to the basket when needed.

Yep. And he needs to do it in the "big" games in Nov-Dec. Winning a game doesn't really matter if UVa is playing the #1 team in the country over Thanksgiving. Make the guys play fast on offense for at least a 4 minute segment each half and see what needs to be tweaked, then practice and pull it out again when ahead in a blowout game against Moo or BC or Pitt.

UVa would benefit greatly from having another gear to use when necessary.

I absolutely hate this word and the clown who uses it but it kind of fits this. Spurtability.

You have to be able to score in bunches. Doesn’t have to be all the time but you need the ability to jump on someone or go on a run when things get dicey. Take the first open look, push the ball a little, w/e it takes to score a quick 10-15. String together a bunch of scoring possessions.

I absolutely hate this word and the clown who uses it but it kind of fits this. Spurtability.

You have to be able to score in bunches. Doesn’t have to be all the time but you need the ability to jump on someone or go on a run when things get dicey. Take the first open look, push the ball a little, w/e it takes to score a quick 10-15. String together a bunch of scoring possessions.

Yep- have plays designed where it's just one screen and pass and then a shot, with guys crashing the boards. Get the team comfortable with playing unsettled basketball.

Jay Wright was known for getting upset early until they won it all. Suddenly they’ve looked at their best in the tourney.

I’m not convinced it has all that much to do with coaching. A lot of it is simply bad luck. There was nothing different he did defensively against UMBC, they just got hot. They played tight on offense, but that isn’t uncommon for Virginia, and being down to a 16 seed will make you play tight.

I think that a lot of it is that he overachieves in the regular season. He game plans well and knows his conference foes well and overachieves. These advantages go out the door when playing somebody unfamiliar, especially with the hype of the tourney.

And I do think it gets in the head of the players, that they don’t want to get upset again so they play tight. None of that though has to do with the fact they went crazy from 3. That was just bad luck. As a KU fan I share your pain there. If I had a dollar for every time some player(or team) in the tourney went nuts from 3 against us, I could buy some prime real estate.

Reactions: duckboy33
Beilein hired a defensive coordinator. Admitted the defense is better cuz he stopped coaching it. That takes a rare, very self-secure coach to do that tho. The idea of Beilein having the KenPom #3 defense is preposterous and yet It happened. I agree with the others. Loosen the reins on the offense a little bit and get more possessions while recruiting a little more skilled offensive talent. And part of the woes is now mental. Gotta get players to play relaxed in March. I have no answers to that one.
I think Billy donovan did this as well and it led to back to back championships.

Reactions: blue_in_chicago
I know as a KU fan I'm the least qualified to give you insight on this topic as we have choked a fair number of games that we are supposed to win....but I think seeing it happen over and over has given me some insight.
1. You need a faster pace of play. You don't have to go Diantoni 7 seconds or less...hell you don't even need to have Roy's secondary break attack, you just need to have a pace of play that average mid to high 70's......not mid to low 60's.
2. Don't change anything you guys do on defense. Defense wins championships. When Roy was at Kansas we had many teams that averaged 90 points a game...unitl we hit the tourney and defenses cracked down on us. Suddenly we couldn't out socre a team (Roy's defensive mentality back then) and we would lose a head scratcher.
3. Definetely need some post presence. We almost got upset against Seton Hall this year without our post player.
4. Being able to run multiple offensive sets is a must. Self runs both the high/low and dribble weave at the top. Both sets allow for either a high percentage shot down low or an open three usually from the corner. If a team is taking one away, the other is usually available. We also play at a faster pace so we aren't taking shots late in the shot clock. If we are, we always have "the guy" who can take and make that shot on his own. Virginia needs that guy.
5. Lots of luck helps too. 2008 KU is considered one of the best teams to win a championship in the last 25 years....yet that team was a missed Davidson 3 away from being another elite 8 bust. Virginia has gotten a fair share of bad luck...but it should even out.
Also I hate being the #1 overall seed. seems like the tourney officials give the #1 overall a harder path than other seeds. This year Viriginia would have had to run through Arizona or UK in the s16 game which is way harder than any other 1 seed had to do. 2 years ago we got the #1 overall seed and our reward was getting Villanova as our 2....a team that was in the running for a #1 seed and had been ranked #1 in the country that year.....yet somehow it was considered the weakest 2 seed.
Anyway as a fan of a team that has flamed out gloriously in the tourney many times......don't sweat it. A national championship (which I think Bennett will win while at UVA) erases all the bad memories..............well until your rivals bring them back up.

Reactions: jhmossy
Nothing against Jerome, but I don't think he's a starting point guard on a contender. Need a point guard that can get out and lead a break. Barkley said it best, hard to win playing 5 on 5 all the time. Salt isn't a force, but I don't think he's the problem. Get a point guard that can run some, one that compliments Hunter and Guy.

I know as a KU fan I'm the least qualified to give you insight on this topic as we have choked a fair number of games that we are supposed to win....but I think seeing it happen over and over has given me some insight.
1. You need a faster pace of play. You don't have to go Diantoni 7 seconds or less...hell you don't even need to have Roy's secondary break attack, you just need to have a pace of play that average mid to high 70's......not mid to low 60's.
2. Don't change anything you guys do on defense. Defense wins championships. When Roy was at Kansas we had many teams that averaged 90 points a game...unitl we hit the tourney and defenses cracked down on us. Suddenly we couldn't out socre a team (Roy's defensive mentality back then) and we would lose a head scratcher.
3. Definetely need some post presence. We almost got upset against Seton Hall this year without our post player.
4. Being able to run multiple offensive sets is a must. Self runs both the high/low and dribble weave at the top. Both sets allow for either a high percentage shot down low or an open three usually from the corner. If a team is taking one away, the other is usually available. We also play at a faster pace so we aren't taking shots late in the shot clock. If we are, we always have "the guy" who can take and make that shot on his own. Virginia needs that guy.
5. Lots of luck helps too. 2008 KU is considered one of the best teams to win a championship in the last 25 years....yet that team was a missed Davidson 3 away from being another elite 8 bust. Virginia has gotten a fair share of bad luck...but it should even out.
Also I hate being the #1 overall seed. seems like the tourney officials give the #1 overall a harder path than other seeds. This year Viriginia would have had to run through Arizona or UK in the s16 game which is way harder than any other 1 seed had to do. 2 years ago we got the #1 overall seed and our reward was getting Villanova as our 2....a team that was in the running for a #1 seed and had been ranked #1 in the country that year.....yet somehow it was considered the weakest 2 seed.
Anyway as a fan of a team that has flamed out gloriously in the tourney many times......don't sweat it. A national championship (which I think Bennett will win while at UVA) erases all the bad memories..............well until your rivals bring them back up.

Good post. If UVA wins a national championship during my lifetime, I will literally give zero ****s about this loss.

I absolutely do not agree you need to be in the mid 70’s for pace. UVA will not come close to that under Bennett. Our ‘15 team was slower than this years UVA team. They need better offensively players, period.

Keep the defense, be multiple on offense. Have some luck. Have a couple future nba guys.

#2..even without that player no way should Virginia have gotten blown out

#3..not buying it because playing in the ACC should have prepared them for that game..they didn't look scared and panicked during their ACC run

I didn’t say either were justified.

Yes....they still should have beat them.

Yes, they looked scared and panicked. If you don’t think so then you weren’t watching. They were a mess. Also, playing in the ACC doesn’t mean you don’t face difficulties.

I disagree. They are pretty talented, if not particularly deep. Losing Hunter was huge and almost certainly the reason they lost on Friday as that guy can get to the basket when needed.

Losing Hunter was huge, but UVA still should have beat UMBC, even if by 1 point. Now his loss would have surely been felt against teams in later rounds, but they should have at least made it to the Round of 32 or Sweet 16 even without Hunter.

Losing Hunter was huge, but UVA still should have beat UMBC, even if by 1 point. Now his loss would have surely been felt against teams in later rounds, but they should have at least made it to the Round of 32 or Sweet 16 even without Hunter.

The thing about Hunter though is that he is the one guy who on that team who can create his own shot off the dribble and get to the rim. Not having that option against UMBC was a killer when their outside shots weren't falling.

Reactions: tw3301
The thing about Hunter though is that he is the one guy who on that team who can create his own shot off the dribble and get to the rim. Not having that option against UMBC was a killer when their outside shots weren't falling.

How much did Hunter average? Yes, he would have been another option, but it's not a guarantee he would have made a difference. A 1 point loss. Maybe. A 20-point loss? Eeck. I think most people would excuse the loss if it was in the later round to a team that's equally talented with a great coach. As much as UVA's offense failed them, it was their defense, which is their strength. I don't know if UVA just wasn't prepared or took the opponent lightly but they didn't look like UVA.

Reactions: UNC71-00
ADVERTISEMENT