ADVERTISEMENT

How would you feel about a law where you pay double the fine if....

hailtoyourvictor

Dec 11, 2012
you commit it outside of the county you reside in?

I’ve seen it brought up here and there as a way to help curb the amount of crime being committed in suburbs by people that live in the adjacent city.

I’m not sure it’s practical, though.

you commit it outside of the county you reside in?

I’ve seen it brought up here and there as a way to help curb the amount of crime being committed in suburbs by people that live in the adjacent city.

I’m not sure it’s practical, though.
The problem is that this assumes those individuals committing crimes are weighing the consequences in advance.

The extreme extrapolation would be the war on drugs and mandatory minimums - do people think that drug dealers are really keeping track of legislative updates of the sentencing guidelines and complete a cost-benefit analysis before going out to a street corner?

In the end, does this really do anything to reduce criminal activity? My guess would be no - but I guess it might generate a bit more revenue for the local government.

I think it should be/stay depending on the state line. If you pass the line, sure your speeding ticket should double. However, if Im going from Etown to Bowling Green, I dont think I should get double fined because I got a speeding ticket in BG. I’m still in the same state so the same rules should apply.

I haven’t gotten any tickets though, knock on wood.

I think it should be/stay depending on the state line. If you pass the line, sure your speeding ticket should double. However, if Im going from Etown to Bowling Green, I dont think I should get double fined because I got a speeding ticket in BG. I’m still in the same state so the same rules should apply.

I haven’t gotten any tickets though, knock on wood.

Maybe it could only apply to felonies? Idk.

We just have a huge problem with people from Milwaukee coming to the suburbs, committing a crime like car theft, and then going back to Milwaukee.

Any ideas on how to address that?

I only ask because one there is a nearby town (near the GW bridge in NJ) that passed a law that non-residents may not pass through the town during certain hours (because they're flooded with bridge traffic on side streets thanks to Waze/GPS). One of the challenges to the law is a constitutional one. And IIRC states are severely limited in how they can treat residents of other states; not sure if that extends intra-state, but I suspect it's either yes or the provision is mirrored in most state constitutions.

It’s just a band aid. Doesn’t actually address the problem.

If my dog shits all over the house and I restrain him to just one room, he’s still shitting in the house.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Maybe it could only apply to felonies? Idk.

We just have a huge problem with people from Milwaukee coming to the suburbs, committing a crime like car theft, and then going back to Milwaukee.

Any ideas on how to address that?

go-kill-them.gif

8d68531bff4804599ce1c83f29120ccd.gif

It’s just a band aid. Doesn’t actually address the problem.

If my dog shits all over the house and I restrain him to just one room, he’s still shitting in the house.

If your dog is shitting in the neighbors yard and you restrain him to just your yard, at least he isn’t shitting in the neighbors yard. I think that is the more appropriate analogy.

But yeah you’re right that it doesn’t solve the underlying problem.

If your dog is shitting in the neighbors yard and you restrain him to just your yard, at least he isn’t shitting in the neighbors yard. I think that is the more appropriate analogy.

But yeah you’re right that it doesn’t solve the underlying problem.
Not really. It’s ok for him to shit in my yard. That’s where we want him shitting. In your scenario, we’ve successfully changed his behavior.

We don’t want him shitting in the house. Therefore we need to change the behavior. Trying to get these idiots to stay in their local area doesn’t help us. Bunny Colvin tried it. Didn’t work. We need to find a way to break the cycle.

Not really. It’s ok for him to shit in my yard. That’s where we want him shitting. In your scenario, we’ve successfully changed his behavior.

We don’t want him shitting in the house. Therefore we need to change the behavior. Trying to get these idiots to stay in their local area doesn’t help us. Bunny Colvin tried it. Didn’t work. We need to find a way to break the cycle.

Cliff notes on Bunny Colvin? Sounds like a stripper.

Statistically, increasing the severity of punishments does little, if anything, to reduce crime rates. Criminals tend to think they're going to get away with their crimes, so they're not often deterred by the potential punishment. Criminals also tend to be poor and probably don't pay their fines in the first place. Doubling fines they already don't/can't pay would have minimal impact, in my estimation.

Crime increased when Milwaukee public transit buses started coming here. Not sure stopping that is a good solution, either. Tough situation.

Statistically, increasing the severity of punishments does little, if anything, to reduce crime rates. Criminals tend to think they're going to get away with their crimes, so they're not often deterred by the potential punishment. Criminals also tend to be poor and probably don't pay their fines in the first place. Doubling fines they already don't/can't pay would have minimal impact, in my estimation.

And it can create downward spirals for many people who made a mistake but are redeemable.

ADVERTISEMENT