ADVERTISEMENT

How satisfied are you with your Head coach?

della

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2001
Team
Tennessee
Tennessee- Barnes
Barnes is the best basketball coach UT has ever had. IMO
He is also a great fit.

Reactions: cdbearde
What team would you say has the best basketball coach they've ever had, but the coach isn't a great fit?
Tennessee when we had Bruce Pearl. He is a very good coach, but he cheats, so he isn't a good fit here.
Anything else I can clear up for you? 😎

Reactions: texasbamafan
Tennessee when we had Bruce Pearl. He is a very good coach, but he cheats, so he isn't a good fit here.
If you are speaking in terms of JUST coaching----Its Pearl....Maybe even Ray Mears. Overall, sure Barnes.

Mack has been awesome.
He has been....I wanted his ass at Indiana...When going throuhg the search, names, etc, etc...It seemed as if I was the only dude on our homeboard that gave any love to him. I mean I am sure there were others.....But very few.

Reactions: UL_1986
If you are speaking in terms of JUST coaching----Its Pearl....Maybe even Ray Mears. Overall, sure Barnes.
Mears was before my time, but he had two of the top 5 players in the country and didn't do all that well, so I don't think he was that good.

Pearl is a great coach, but a cheat, so at the risk of sounding sanctimonious, he is below Barnes.

That didn't answer my question.

Mears was before my time, but he had two of the top 5 players in the country and didn't do all that well, so I don't think he was that good.

Pearl is a great coach, but a cheat, so at the risk of sounding sanctimonious, he is below Barnes.
Mears is considered by many as the greatest at UT....Gotta take nto consideration the era in which he coached as well....Very difficult to make the NCAAT---had to win your conference. And well,there was this other progeam in the SEC that gobbled that shit up....Mears was 278-112 at Tenn....Won three SEC titles...Never had a losing season....And heres the kicker.....

In his 15 seasons at Tenn,he finished outside of the Top 3, TWO times....11 of those 15, UT finished 1st or second....If he had coached under the current criteria(NCAAT), he would have made it evry year but one---His first.

Very, very underrated HC.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Well that's just not english.
You got swatted like a fly, or explain why learning your coach cheats with a show cause wouldn't affect the fit at your school despite his coaching prowess.

Mears is considered by many as the greatest at UT....Gotta take nto consideration the era in which he coached as well....Very difficult to make the NCAAT---had to win your conference. And well,there was this other progeam in the SEC that gobbled that shit up....Mears was 278-112 at Tenn....Won three SEC titles...Never had a losing season....And heres the kicker.....

In his 15 seasons at Tenn,he finished outside of the Top 3, TWO times....11 of those 15, UT finished 1st or second....If he had coached under the current criteria(NCAAT), he would have made it evry year but one---His first.

Very, very underrated HC.
Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.
Its what I do.....Basketball nut, Della. Studied journalism/sports history in college. Wanted to be a writer/broadcaster, etc, etc.....Instead, I ended up an official...

Go figure.

BTW, I lived in a small town that was UT cray, cray....Gadsend. Loved their Vols. My aunt lived in Culleoka...ANother in Triton. Vol cray.crays.....One of my aunts husbands had a wall painted entirely depicting UT's basketball floor----with a huge pic of Devoe in the middle. On the other wall---Leyland Stadium....Had to wear fukin sunglasses in that room...

I like our guy. He really had to change the culture here. But I wish he could find an athletic 3/4 guy...

Its what I do.....Basketball nut, Della. Studied journalism/sports history in college. Wanted to be a writer/broadcaster, etc, etc.....Instead, I ended up an official...

Go figure.

BTW, I lived in a small town that was UT cray, cray....Gadsend. Loved their Vols. My aunt lived in Culleoka...ANother in Triton. Vol cray.crays.....One of my aunts husbands had a wall painted entirely depicting UT's basketball floor----with a huge pic of Devoe in the middle. On the other wall---Leyland Stadium....Had to wear fukin sunglasses in that room...
I think in the south College sports "just means more" like the commercial says. That may be due to a lack of Pro sports historically. I have a Science degree from UT and love to yap about the Vols with y'all, but don't have a trace of UT stuff in my home or allow my spouse to put up ACC stuff.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I think in the south College sports "just means more" like the commercial says. That may be due to a lack of Pro sports historically. I have a Science degree from UT and love to yap about the Vols with y'all, but don't have a trace of UT stuff in my home or allow my spouse to put up ACC stuff.
My wife is a UK fan...Of course, I'm an IU guy. Best thing to eveer happen to our marriage was Watford shot going in.... 🤣

Reactions: Villian07 and della
He has been....I wanted his ass at Indiana...When going throuhg the search, names, etc, etc...It seemed as if I was the only dude on our homeboard that gave any love to him. I mean I am sure there were others.....But very few.
I’ve been content with his coaching ability and overall understanding of the game, and ability to get his players to buy in. Hope he stays for a long time. Even with the dark cloud over a program the last 6 years, he’s brought in solid recruits and we didn’t really take a step back.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
You got swatted like a fly, or explain why learning your coach cheats with a show cause wouldn't affect the fit at your school despite his coaching prowess.

We can try this again:

What team would you say has the best basketball coach they've ever had, but the coach isn't a great fit?

Reactions: Scotty00
Love Matt Painter. Think he's just coming into his prime and it's only a matter of time before he breaks thru.

Reactions: blue_in_chicago
My first year as a student at Iowa was Todd Lickliter's first year as a coach at Iowa. Fran McCaffery is godlike to me.

Wouldn’t want anybody else at UK! Having a down year but no complaints from me when it comes to Cal. The last ten years have been fun!!!

Cals first 5 years were a lot better than his last 5 years though. UK’s has slipped a bit the last few years. Cal better step it up. Ask tubby smith about they.

Wouldn’t want anybody else at UK! Having a down year but no complaints from me when it comes to Cal. The last ten years have been fun!!!

I really couldn't disagree more. His first 5 years were awesome. 2017 was awesome (even with that awful ending, fvck John Higgins forever). It's obvious he's washed.

We can try this again:

That wasn't the thread sgrooms. A coach that would be the best a program ever had would have to be a good fit, because fitting is an element of being the best coach.

Only coach that is arguably a better fit for us than Gard is UVa's TB.

Gardo has done really well considering he's following Bo.

Anyone seen the Michigan bandwagoners today? They’ve been so active. Did something happen?

ADVERTISEMENT