ADVERTISEMENT

How many here root for more than one team?

I got my degree at UNCW so I like when they do well.

As far as high major programs, I don’t consistently cheer for anyone outside of UNC. There will be certain teams any given year that I enjoy watching and will cheer for or certain players, but that changes from year to year.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Have been a DePaul fan my whole life since a lot family members went there. My family had season tickets when they had Mark Agguire and Terry Cummings. I ended up getting 2 degrees from there and had season tickets as well for a couple years.

Have been an LSU fan since I hung out with their fans for a weekend in Rosemont in 1987 for the first round of the NCAA tourney.

I always root for Northwestern since I consider them my hometown BIg10 team.

Those are my teams, but in recent years I've found myself picking up random teams for a year or two if they have a player I really like. Followed and cheered for Villanova when they had Jalen Brunson since he's from my area. Cheered for UCLA when they had Lonzo. Cheered for Oklahoma when they had Trae.

I usually have one serious bandwagon team per year. I enjoy following the 6 Power Conferences, the WCC, the MWC, and sometimes the AAC and Atlantic 10. I like to root against UNC, Kentucky, Texas, and semi-frequently against Villanova and UConn. Here are my bandwagon teams from recent memory.

2021- Gonzaga. I just love this team. Sue me. Timme's got sick post moves, Suggs is a freak athlete, and Kispert is as a good a shooter as you can find.
2020- Dayton. Obi Freaking Toppin. Went the whole season without losing in regulation.
2019- Buffalo. Blue-Collar. Tough. CJ Massinburg was a gamer.
2018- Texas A&M. Interior Game was ridiculous.
2017- Gonzaga. Supremely talented on the defense end. Good offense, too.
2016- Oklahoma. Can't nobody stop Buddy Hield
2015- Notre Dame. Fun offense to watch. Reminded me a bit of the GS Warriors.
2014- Wichita State. Guard play was excellent. Playing in the MVC probably hurt their tourney prep. But, they were a legit Final Four caliber-team.
2013- Michigan. This team was oozing with NBA talent. Watching their offense was a thing of beauty.
2012- Ohio State. Craft's defense + Sullinger's inside game. Great stuff.
2011- BYU. All about the Jimmer show.
2010- Butler. The Big 3 of Hayward, Mack, and Howard. Won 25 straight games before falling in the title game.
2009- Wake Forest. Very talented roster. Made it to #1 in the country at one point. Things fell apart in March, however.
2008- Davidson. Steph Curry. And yes, I did watch them before the start of '08 tournament. People forget about Richards. He led the nation in assists that year.
2007- Ohio State. Oden and Conley was a dynamic duo. Not enough to overcome the juggernaut in UF, however.

I pull for UNC first and Tennessee second in all sports. I follow both teams very consistently though. Seldom miss a basketball or football game for either. I have liked UNC since I was a kid but my family are big UT supporters and have some ties to the university. I also pull for Austin Peay of course but it's different. I used to attend all of their home games but haven't been in years.

UNC first and Tennessee second
artworks-000190613625-dul7jj-t500x500.jpg

I

2021- Gonzaga. I just love this team. Sue me. Timme's got sick post moves, Suggs is a freak athlete, and Kispert is as a good a shooter as you can find.

I'm with you on this one. I latched on to Suggs as my guy after that first game. Zags are my bandwagon team for the year.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I pull for UNC first and Tennessee second in all sports. I follow both teams very consistently though. Seldom miss a basketball or football game for either. I have liked UNC since I was a kid but my family are big UT supporters and have some ties to the university. I also pull for Austin Peay of course but it's different. I used to attend all of their home games but haven't been in years.

Are you old enough to remember Austin Peay knocking off Illinois in the tourney? As an avid Illini hater that was awesome.

I have a niece at UT and I lived in Knoxville for a short while after college. I’m generally ok with their basketball team but my 18 months there made me absolutely despise their football program. I was there when the fanbase had turned on Fulmer and wanted him out. It’s been pretty enjoyable watching them get what they wished for over and over again.

I think one of my issues was coming in as an outsider to a situation where every minute of every year was full on UT Football. It was just too much. At least in NC you had multiple teams around and you conversed with people who liked other programs.

Yes, Yes. Embrace the hatred.

I have a niece at UT and I lived in Knoxville for a short while after college. I’m generally ok with their basketball team but my 18 months there made me absolutely despise their football program. I was there when the fanbase had turned on Fulmer and wanted him out. It’s been pretty enjoyable watching them get what they wished for over and over again.

I think one of my issues was coming in as an outsider to a situation where every minute of every year was full on UT Football. It was just too much. At least in NC you had multiple teams around and you conversed with people who liked other programs.

Yeah, many in the fanbase are psycho, though it isn't any different than most other SEC bases. Getting rid of Fulmer was silly though.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
I go with people.
There are coaches and players I like and I want the best for them.

Then there are programs that deserve respect. I don't sit there and hope they win but I don't hate on then like others. Programs like Villanova and UNC

I’ve always been a Creighton basketball and Nebraska football fan from the time I was a little kid. That will never change. Also, I mildly root for Arizona since I live here and it’s where my wife went to school.

I'd hate to see your home decor. Your choice in colors is off.

I'd hate to see your home decor. Your choice in colors is off.

Haha, I got rid of most of my sports room stuff and decor in general when I married. Anything that is left is in some drawer in the basement. But yeah, those two colors together would not be fashionable together.

Haha, I got rid of most of my sports room stuff and decor in general when I married. Anything that is left is in some drawer in the basement. But yeah, those two colors together would not be fashionable together.

i bet u kill on Easter Sunday

Reactions: HawksJ
Mostly just the Illini, as far as major rooting goes. I have passive rooting interests in the following teams, though:

- Bradley (dad went there for grad school and I was born in Peoria)
- Butler (sister played soccer there and still lives in Indianapolis, also been to 3-4 games there)
- DePaul (started trying to root for them when I started grad school here, but they kind of sucked and then COVID hit)

I pull for UT football, basketball, W Basketball, Softball, Baseball, Track, soccer, volleyball, golf, rowing and Swimming. It will probably surprise some of y'all to know that there is more than one sport.

I pull against bama in all previously mentioned sports.

• Love
Reactions: VolnMd and cdbearde
I'm just a big fan of the sport. Come tourney time I just enjoy every game I can and soak it all in. March Madness is the greatest sporting event.
Yeah as far as postseason events go, it's hard to beat March Madness. World Series is still the best to me. The College World Series has also gotten increasingly awesome.

As amazing as college football's regular season is, this playoff is just horrible. If they ever stopped being greedy and fixed it, college football would have the best probably. But, its worth noting, the Cinderella stories in the NCAAT are why its so much fun.

Which is why it blows my mind why so many UK fans say the playoff is great. "Its the 4 best teams. Leave it alone!" OK...so why do you root for the UCFs, Boise States, and Cincinnatis of the world to have a title shot in "our" sport. It screws us over. AND, in football if a 10-1 Texas A&M team can't even get in, what chance do you think Kentucky ever has of getting in.

Wake the hell up people.

I pull for UT football, basketball, W Basketball, Softball, Baseball, Track, soccer, volleyball, golf, rowing and Swimming. It will probably surprise some of y'all to know that there is more than one sport.

I pull against bama in all previously mentioned sports.
Rowing.... 🤣

Reactions: sgrooms
This past summer I gave rowing a shot for about a week. That's a serious workout.

Not sure about it being a spectator sport, though.
For sure, those rowers are in great shape. Makes me tired just watching it during the Olympics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT