ADVERTISEMENT

How many bids does the BIG get?

MKordIUBB

Jul 19, 2017
Team
Indiana
I’m thinking between 7-9. The league is good again. At this point, MSU, Michigan, OSU, and Maryland are locks. If Michigan makes the top 10 the BIG will have 4 teams in the top 10. OSU has been really good from what I’ve seen and rank in the top 3 in a lot of computer rankings. Michigan has the best wins, however. It’s hard to place the top 3 because MSU’s only loss is to Kentucky, which is hard to fault them for. Purdue just had a big win verse VCU and will most likely be in the top 25 next week. Even though I don’t see where there production comes from, they are finding ways to compete.

The rest of the BIG looks like this: (not in order

Illinois
IU
Iowa
Rutgers
Penn State
Northwestern
Nebraska
Minnesota
Wisconsin

Nebraska and Northwestern are clearly the bottom 2 ATM. They look bad. I see Rutgers in Minnesota battling for the 11th and 12th spot. I don’t think either of these teams are bad. Minnesota has a bunch of losses to decent teams. I think they will fight in the big ten against most teams but it’s going to be an uphill battle to the tournament for them. Rutgers has a bad loss to Iona, but have kicked it up lately. If they win 2 of their next 4 they will be looking a lot better.

It’s too early to tell where Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, Penn State, and Iowa will fall. Iowa we seem to know the most about. They have played some good teams and have battled. Their 2 losses aren’t bad and they have 1 good win. They will be on the bubble all year. If the BIG is weak they will be around 6 and if the BIG is strong they will be around 9. Wisconsin has separated themselves as the worst of the group. They have a good win against Marquette, but have also lost to 2 mid majors. They aren’t bad teams they last to, but they really shouldn’t have lost to them. Wisconsin’s placement will likely show the overall strength of the BIG. I expect them to be competitive most nights, but finish around 10.

Indiana, Penn State, and Illinois are the ones I am clueless about. Penn state has a loss to Ole Miss. that wasn’t looking like a bad loss until they lost 37-78 to Oklahoma State. Yikes. Luckily Penn State has looked good in other games. At this point I have to put them at the top of this group, despite that I think Indiana is the better team. Illinois and Indiana haven’t really played anybody. Illinois lost bad to a really good Arizona team, but outside of that have gone 6-0. Indiana has also gone 6-0. However, Indiana’s best win is better than Illinois best win to my knowledge. These teams at this point will be fighting for a 9+ seed.

Here are my predictions right now. These aren’t anything crazy and probably align with most people’s here

1. Michigan
2. OSU
3. MSU
4. Maryland
5. Purdue
6. Penn State
7. Indiana
8. Iowa
9. Illinois
10. Wisconsin
11. Minnesota
12. Rutgers
13. Nebraska
14. Northwestern

I think we’ll see 8 of these teams in the tournament. That doesn’t mean I don’t think Illinois won’t make the tournament because they’re 9th, I just think they’re the worst of Iowa, PSU, IU, and themselves. I think one of those teams will get left out. The top of the league will be very competitive. I’m excited to see it play out.

I’m thinking between 7-9. The league is good again. At this point, MSU, Michigan, OSU, and Maryland are locks. If Michigan makes the top 10 the BIG will have 4 teams in the top 10. OSU has been really good from what I’ve seen and rank in the top 3 in a lot of computer rankings. Michigan has the best wins, however. It’s hard to place the top 3 because MSU’s only loss is to Kentucky, which is hard to fault them for. Purdue just had a big win verse VCU and will most likely be in the top 25 next week. Even though I don’t see where there production comes from, they are finding ways to compete.

The rest of the BIG looks like this: (not in order

Illinois
IU
Iowa
Rutgers
Penn State
Northwestern
Nebraska
Minnesota
Wisconsin

Nebraska and Northwestern are clearly the bottom 2 ATM. They look bad. I see Rutgers in Minnesota battling for the 11th and 12th spot. I don’t think either of these teams are bad. Minnesota has a bunch of losses to decent teams. I think they will fight in the big ten against most teams but it’s going to be an uphill battle to the tournament for them. Rutgers has a bad loss to Iona, but have kicked it up lately. If they win 2 of their next 4 they will be looking a lot better.

It’s too early to tell where Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, Penn State, and Iowa will fall. Iowa we seem to know the most about. They have played some good teams and have battled. Their 2 losses aren’t bad and they have 1 good win. They will be on the bubble all year. If the BIG is weak they will be around 6 and if the BIG is strong they will be around 9. Wisconsin has separated themselves as the worst of the group. They have a good win against Marquette, but have also lost to 2 mid majors. They aren’t bad teams they last to, but they really shouldn’t have lost to them. Wisconsin’s placement will likely show the overall strength of the BIG. I expect them to be competitive most nights, but finish around 10.

Indiana, Penn State, and Illinois are the ones I am clueless about. Penn state has a loss to Ole Miss. that wasn’t looking like a bad loss until they lost 37-78 to Oklahoma State. Yikes. Luckily Penn State has looked good in other games. At this point I have to put them at the top of this group, despite that I think Indiana is the better team. Illinois and Indiana haven’t really played anybody. Illinois lost bad to a really good Arizona team, but outside of that have gone 6-0. Indiana has also gone 6-0. However, Indiana’s best win is better than Illinois best win to my knowledge. These teams at this point will be fighting for a 9+ seed.

Here are my predictions right now. These aren’t anything crazy and probably align with most people’s here

1. Michigan
2. OSU
3. MSU
4. Maryland
5. Purdue
6. Penn State
7. Indiana
8. Iowa
9. Illinois
10. Wisconsin
11. Minnesota
12. Rutgers
13. Nebraska
14. Northwestern

I think we’ll see 8 of these teams in the tournament. That doesn’t mean I don’t think Illinois won’t make the tournament because they’re 9th, I just think they’re the worst of Iowa, PSU, IU, and themselves. I think one of those teams will get left out. The top of the league will be very competitive. I’m excited to see it play out.

MSU also lost to VT.

Yeah, forgot about that. Still think coaching gives them an edge over Maryland
It’s really early. UM looked like by far the best team in the non conference last year as well, but they were not one of the teams that won the Big Ten. Purdue started out 6-5 and was one of the teams that won it.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
The league looks really strong this year - it's possible you have a team a few games under .500 in the league still make the NCAAs.

Imo the league isn't nearly as good this year as it was last year. At the absolute most, I think the BIG will only get 7 bids and at worst 5. Also, I think IU will finish 5th or 6th this year. But, the top 4 teams are really really good this year. The middle of the pack isn't nearly as strong this year compared to last year.

Around midseason, it will become apparent that they are all fraudulent and the committee will respond accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUfanBorden
as of now 6 look to be solid. 7-8 are a maybe after that it does not look that good,

things can change as the conference season starts then it will shake out the pretenders from the contenders, even then it still looks like a solid 6, then #7-9 will be determined, by the OOC quality wins teams have,

as for Iowa they are in the 7-9 group, with the TT win being a win in the good column.

ADVERTISEMENT