ADVERTISEMENT

How long is your commute to work?

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
Other thread about rush hour made me think of this. Just curious how far you live from your job and how long it takes you to get there in the morning or get home at night?

I live on the north side of Chicago, 16 miles from my office in the northern suburb of Northbrook. It takes me anywhere from 40-50 minutes to get to/from in Chicago rush hour. When I go to work Saturday mornings at the same time it takes me 15 minutes.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also have to go to court a couple times a week which changes things. If I have to go downtown which is a 7 mile drive it takes 45 minutes. If I have to go to the collar counties it can take anywhere from an hour to 1.5 hours depending on where I gotta go.

Last edited:
In the morning, 20 minutes or so. Same for the afternoon. Louisville traffic isn't AWFUL unless you're on the highway during rush hour. Still can get pretty bad sometimes, though. If there's no traffic, it takes me about 14 minutes.

Louisville traffic is generally manageable unless there is rain or snow, in which case people go 5 mph.

I drop my son off at school in the morning, so it's a different route than I take going home. Morning is 20-25 minutes. Afternoon is 12-18, depending on traffic.

7 Minute drive 30 minute walk. My wife and I work in the suites right next to each other so we ride to work together and then I walk home.

I sometimes work at the jail. Sometimes at the courthouse and my office is across the street from the courthouse. Takes me less than 10 minutes to get to the office and around 15 to get to the jail.

7 Minute drive 30 minute walk. My wife and I work in the suites right next to each other so we ride to work together and then I walk home.
Ever get the wife to give ya some nooner during work hours?

If I’m in Syracuse, it’s 12 minutes to go 10 miles. If I’m in New Jersey it’s 42 minutes to go 7 miles (30 in August when everybody is on vacation)

Right now I’m 9 miles from my house, 16 minute drive if I miss the train. No freeway.

We are closing on a house 14 miles and 18 minutes from work. All freeway.

I wish the town my hospital in had a better 15 year outlook but Milwaukee crime is bleeding over into this suburb and in 10-15 years it might not be the best place to raise a family / resell a house. I’d rather drive a bit extra and not worry about that.

Right now I’m 9 miles from my house, 16 minute drive if I miss the train. No freeway.

We are closing on a house 14 miles and 18 minutes from work. All freeway.

I wish the town my hospital in had a better 15 year outlook but Milwaukee crime is bleeding over into this suburb and in 10-15 years it might not be the best place to raise a family / resell a house. I’d rather drive a bit extra and not worry about that.
My God, adjusting to married life AND closing on a house? How are you functioning

My God, adjusting to married life AND closing on a house? How are you functioning

We had our house offer accepted two weeks before our wedding. Inspection 1 week before wedding. It’s been a crazy month. Can’t wait for June to relax.

If I'm out the door by 5:45am I can drive into Boston from the North Shore in 45 min-1 hour. Going home can be anywhere from 45 min-2 hours, but typically just over an hour.

It's a 28 min drive on a Sunday morning without traffic.

I live about 5 miles from campus. It takes me 10 minutes at most to get from my place to work unless I get stuck at the ****ing train tracks. Stupid ****ing hick town.

I just recently took a job in Seward Alaska. Not a single stop light and no traffic, except for when the tourists are in. I live 2 miles away and it takes me 5 minutes to make that commute. It's kind of remote up here, but I live 2 minutes away from some of the best salmon fishing in the world, and Halibut fishing is just a boat ride away.

I just recently took a job in Seward Alaska. Not a single stop light and no traffic, except for when the tourists are in. I live 2 miles away and it takes me 5 minutes to make that commute. It's kind of remote up here, but I live 2 minutes away from some of the best salmon fishing in the world, and Halibut fishing is just a boat ride away.
So when are we going halibut fishing?!

just started a new job in a new city this week. commute was 15 minutes there and back at old job. current commute is 45 minutes there, an hour back.

If I’m in Syracuse, it’s 12 minutes to go 10 miles. If I’m in New Jersey it’s 42 minutes to go 7 miles (30 in August when everybody is on vacation)

I would always tell people that you can get from any point on one side of Syracuse to any point on the other side of Syracuse in no more than 20 minutes. The Thruway is da bomb. As a whole, the highway system is pretty solid.

I live about 5 miles from campus. It takes me 10 minutes at most to get from my place to work unless I get stuck at the ****ing train tracks. Stupid ****ing hick town.

I swear like a sailor when I see those lights start flashing. I’m always running late and have to speed to clock in on time so hitting the train screws me sideways. I shit you not part of the process that went into the house I bought was making sure I didn’t pass the tracks on my way to work.

Reactions: jhmossy
I swear like a sailor when I see those lights start flashing. I’m always running late and have to speed to clock in on time so hitting the train screws me sideways. I shit you not part of the process that went into the house I bought was making sure I didn’t pass the tracks on my way to work.

Yeah, if I decide to stay here and buy a house, that will definitely be a factor in the buying process. I hate it so much.

I would always tell people that you can get from any point on one side of Syracuse to any point on the other side of Syracuse in no more than 20 minutes. The Thruway is da bomb. As a whole, the highway system is pretty solid.

The highway system in our country blows my mind. It’s one of those things that I’ll never grasp (like how so much information can be put on a video game disc that allows me to control play motions and stuff). Some really smart people did some really smart things to make it work.

Other thread about rush hour made me think of this. Just curious how far you live from your job and how long it takes you to get there in the morning or get home at night?

I live on the north side of Chicago, 16 miles from my office in the northern suburb of Northbrook. It takes me anywhere from 40-50 minutes to get to/from in Chicago rush hour. When I go to work Saturday mornings at the same time it takes me 15 minutes.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also have to go to court a couple times a week which changes things. If I have to go downtown which is a 7 mile drive it takes 45 minutes. If I have to go to the collar counties it can take anywhere from an hour to 1.5 hours depending on where I gotta go.
25 minutes

So when are we going halibut fishing?!
The charters are running now. they really pick up right after Memorial day, hit a high around end of July and taper off to right before Labor day. they are kinda pricey and unfortunately haven't met any boat captains yet. I've gone twice...first time we only caught chickens (name given to halibut that are around 15 lbs each). Second time we went out I only caught 1 fish....but it was 135 lbs. Definitely worth it the second time.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
30 miles, anywhere from 30-40 minutes depending on construction season in Wisconsin.

Two bus stops from my condo to my firm. In good days I walk. It takes ~ 20 minutes. If my firm sends me to FBI NYC HQ or NYPD 1PP, it's 15 minutes by N train.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT