ADVERTISEMENT

How in the world is UK ranked 9th?

jace46555

Jan 7, 2006
Seriously, this isn't a troll attempt because I'm sure most UK fans here would agree that they shouldn't be 9th. I'm not saying that they don't have the talent to get there before the season ends...because they do. But, up until this point in the season they haven't looked anything like a top 10 team.

I haven't watched everyone of their games, so correct me if I'm wrong. But, the games I've seen so far they definitely didn't look like a top 10 team.

Seriously, this isn't a troll attempt because I'm sure most UK fans here would agree that they shouldn't be 9th. I'm not saying that they don't have the talent to get there before the season ends...because they do. But, up until this point in the season they haven't looked anything like a top 10 team.

I haven't watched everyone of their games, so correct me if I'm wrong. But, the games I've seen so far they definitely didn't look like a top 10 team.
They might have the high school ranking talent to be top ten, but what has been seen on the court doesn’t back that up.

I know they are not as bad as it looks now, but they have some guys that should be on the three or four yr plan. The thing is, they are still a team you don’t want to play bc they can put it all together on any given night. The bugs are just meh outside of pj.

Preseason hype and record before today. Honestly KU hasn't looked like a top 5 team all year let alone #2.
We are so bad and disjointed right now. Zero flow. Just well coached. When we drop one there won’t be a soul that says they didn’t see it comjng

Uk and KU aren't top ten by any means.
Give credit to the kid from Seton Hall today. He scorched the nets in the second half.

He even hit a fade away double clutch three. When you are playing a dude that can do that, hats off.

But Cal has been exposed since the 2015 final four. He's a good recruiter, but an awful game coach.

This UK team shouldn't be this bad. I mean they're awful right now. The talent is there, they played summer ball, they have veterans, but they look like they just started practicing yesterday.

Terrible coaching.

KU doesn't look any better.

Was actually a really good game tbh man, we both have a lot to look forward to this season.
I listened to a bit of the 1st half on my drive. A lady had the game on her phone, near half court. So I did my best to stay on that side(of the floor). SHe gave me updates each time I ran by...:D. Pretty sure you read this in the other thread:eek:

Edit: Back on the offseason, pretty sure some IU fan mentioned UL being a ton better than what folks would think. His name escapes me...Winking

“Puts popcorn in microwave”
Yeah, I know that its going to go down the road to nowhere lol. I tried my best to not be too negative. That's the only reason I put in the sentence about them having the talent to be a top 10 team by years end. Between me and you...I may have lied a little on that one.

Reactions: UL_1986
Give credit to the kid from Seton Hall today. He scorched the nets in the second half.

He even hit a fade away double clutch three. When you are playing a dude that can do that, hats off.

But Cal has been exposed since the 2015 final four. He's a good recruiter, but an awful game coach.

This UK team shouldn't be this bad. I mean they're awful right now. The talent is there, they played summer ball, they have veterans, but they look like they just started practicing yesterday.

Terrible coaching.

I think you hit the nail on the head about Cal. That is good enough when he's getting the bust high school kids, but he hasn't even done that recently. Coach K has moved past him recently on the recruiting front.

Reactions: American Male
The same question can be applied to KU at #2. Love these guys but there is nothing threatening or intimidating about them right now. We’re doing just enough to get by. I think KU will get better as the season goes but at the moment, KU is average at best.

Terrible coaching.

Nothing you can do when a guy shoots like that.

With KU I believe it's about finding that high energy level throughout the game. Just about every game for KU so far they've played their A or B game for 5-10 minute stretches and then the other 30-35 minutes they are playing with their C or game or worse. They just scrape by and just seem to be going through the motions. They've won just an out every game so far because Vick or Lawson has taken over late. KU has a long ways to go at the moment.

The same question can be applied to KU at #2. Love these guys but there is nothing threatening or intimidating about them right now. We’re doing just enough to get by. I think KU will get better as the season goes but at the moment, KU is average at best.

I think they need to be punched in the mouth and lose. I'm hoping it's not against Nova in AFH but I think it will be.

Reactions: RockChalkRally

Terrible coaching.

KU doesn't look any better? They've beaten two top 10 teams and looked good versus both. Also beat a solid team in Marquette.

They're not a top team without Azubuike, but that's not exactly shocking.

I think they need to be punched in the mouth and lose. I'm hoping it's not against Nova in AFH but I think it will be.

I agree and I think that punch in the mouth will be coming sooner than later too.

Preseason rankings always mean teams stay ranked higher than they deserve. Until sample size kicks in. I bet UK is in the 20's come Monday.

With KU I believe it's about finding that high energy level throughout the game. Just about every game for KU so far they've played their A or B game for 5-10 minute stretches and then the other 30-35 minutes they are playing with their C or game or worse. They just scrape by and just seem to be going through the motions. They've won just an out every game so far because Vick or Lawson has taken over late. KU has a long ways to go at the moment.
I think this is why IU isn't pushing for a top 10 spot right now. For the majority of the past 6 games, its seemed like they had trouble getting enough energy to play to their potential.

Reactions: SIhoosier26

Both teams need to take a page out of Auburn's playbook.
Auburn plays hard for 40 minutes. They'll sweep UK this year if something doesn' change. But I really like the energy that Auburn plays with.
Doesn't hurt that they make threes too. Cal's teams never seem to have the ability to shoot.

KU doesn't look any better? They've beaten two top 10 teams and looked good versus both. Also beat a solid team in Marquette.

They're not a top team without Azubuike, but that's not exactly shocking.
They're barely beating mid majors at home.
It's okay to admit they're just not that good right now. I know you don't want to hear that, but it's true. KU is just not very good right now, you can't tell me that you can watch KU play and say with a straight face that they're a good team.

Last edited:
Its December. I'll hold judgement on UK. Cal may or not be this or that. But one thing is for certain----His teams get better. How much better? Who knows. But I'll say this---We will see a different team come late Jan, through March. Or maybe not. But I sure as hell wouldn't bet against it.

Trash..

They might have the high school ranking talent to be top ten, but what has been seen on the court doesn’t back that up.

I know they are not as bad as it looks now, but they have some guys that should be on the three or four yr plan. The thing is, they are still a team you don’t want to play bc they can put it all together on any given night. The bugs are just meh outside of pj.
Bad coaches. I can't coach up the talent.

Both teams need to take a page out of Auburn's playbook.
Auburn plays hard for 40 minutes. They'll sweep UK this year if something doesn' change. But I really like the energy that Auburn plays with.
Doesn't hurt that they make threes too. Cal's teams never seem to have the ability to shoot.
I can't Express how much I hated Crean as their coach ,but the one thing he did get out of them was energy . Normally, it was reckless energy, but they played as hard as they possibly could. That's the reason he has so many wins against top 5 teams in Assembly Hall. If the better team had an off night, as long as he could keep the crowd in it...the vuys had a punchers chance based off of energy alone.

They are not top 20 based on their inability to shoot. The Hall ain't good but made UK look bad.

Unless the light goes off this team could have in excess of 10 losses.

Reactions: jace46555
They're barely beating mid majors at home.
It's okay to admit they're just not that good right now. I know you don't want to hear that, but it's true. KU is just not very good right now, you can't tell me that you can watch KU play and say with a straight face that they're a good team.

They looked terrible in the first half last night and at times in other games. They don't run great half court offense.

On the flip side, they looked good vs Tennessee and Mich St, and in their 25-0 runs vs Marquette and Wofford. They've shown they can play well when focused. Clearly they play down to competition.

Terrible coaching.

Kansas has beaten two top 10 teams. UK has beaten no one of substance. No one. Comparing them is stupid.

They looked terrible in the first half last night and at times in other games. They don't run great half court offense.

On the flip side, they looked good vs Tennessee and Mich St, and in their 25-0 runs vs Marquette and Wofford. They've shown they can play well when focused. Clearly they play down to competition.
Did you see the Seton Hall kid go off yesterday? That's why UK lost. The defense on him was really good, but when a guy is in that kind of zone, you better get in a zone yourself or you're going down.

If New Mexico State had a player shoot like that last night, KU loses by 10 at home.

All I'm saying is KU looks like it's spuddering as well. You can't deny that.

Kansas has beaten two top 10 teams. UK has beaten no one of substance. No one. Comparing them is stupid.
It really isn't stupid if you actually watch the games. KU has 2 good wins, but they've really struggled in most of their games.

Did you see the Seton Hall kid go off yesterday? That's why UK lost. The defense on him was really good, but when a guy is in that kind of zone, you better get in a zone yourself or you're going down.

If New Mexico State had a player shoot like that last night, KU loses by 10 at home.

All I'm saying is KU looks like it's spuddering as well. You can't deny that.

Actually, you said they're no better than Kentucky.

As for last night...yeah, KU probably loses if someone were to go off like that. But who's to say they'd allow him to go off? They're capable of much better defense than Kentucky. Marquette went off in a similar manner in the first half and KU went on a 25-0 run to start the second half.

Also, wouldn't you expect a team to struggle in the next game after losing arguably their most important player? Imagine if Kentucky didn't have Washington yesterday. Wouldn't have been pretty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT