How good will your team be next year?

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by schoonerwest, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Jhmoss1812

Jhmoss1812 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

In my estimation, he needs to stay. His handle is not good enough and his shooting, although significantly better, is still not that great against good defenders. He's a freak athlete and can impact the game defensively at the next level but I don't think he's ready offensively. Of course, NBA drafts on potential and he oozes it. If he's a lottery pick, he obviously has to go. But I think he's more of a late 1st round to early 2nd round pick which I think means he should stay. Bennett says they haven't talked about it yet because both are focused on this year's goals. If he returns, we're easily preseason top 5 and potentially #1

2. hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Gumbo, great breakdown. One thing, I think Bielfeldt already re-classified and is considered a senior this year. That's why Michigan is looking to bring in Levi Cook.

It's going to be a very unique, deep, roster. For the past three years Michigan's has had a bonifide stud (Burke, Stauskas, LeVert). Next year might not have that, but there will be about 5-6 guys capable of lighting it up.

3. J-Rye_UL

J-Rye_UL Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

If anyone on Louisville's roster next year can duplicate Jones' production this year, I'll be shouting from the rooftops. I see Mitchell starting at SG in a role similar to Rozier's this year.

4. brill

brill Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Re: Maryland

If Layman returns????? Where would he go? Europe?

He has to return. He is average. AS someone stated an average piece to the puzzle. THey have snuck up on people earlier this year b/c no one thought they would be any good. Now, people are out to beat them and they are back down to earth.

I see MD as an early NCAA exit.

5. TANEYTOWN

TANEYTOWN Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Aggies will be loaded.

6. burkndlaw

burkndlaw Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

is Tom Crean still at indiana?

Yes?

A high scoring, high turnover team that's fun to watch, doesn't play defense, and can't win a game of consequence outside of bloomington indiana seems likely then.

7. jswolf

jswolf Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Only losing Ralston Turner, should be better than this year. Then again, we have the same coach.

8. duckboy33

duckboy33 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

We should be a tournament team. Very well could be top 25 if the newcomers live up to the hype.

Starting Lineup: Cook, Bell, Brooks, Dorsey (5 star recruit), and Rorie (This is a small lineup but this puts our best 5 on the floor. We have options to go bigger if necessary).

Off the bench: Benjamin, Benson, Manuel, Small (4 star recruit), Sorkin, Chandler

9. The Reindeer Terp

The Reindeer Terp Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Jake is currently projected as a mid 1st rd NBA pick. I agree with you - he is not and may never be ready. But...that has not stopped thousands of others who went early and should not have.

Your last two ideas - back down to earth??? Terps lost at Illinois, IU, OSU......road conference games. I do believe the Terps are a year or two ahead of schedule - I did not think they would be competing for BIG title THIS year either, but they are.

Early NCAA exit may happen.....like it does to 32 teams on Thurs and Friday in late March. For us suffering alum...it is still glorious to be back in the Dance. Nothing like the Dance, when your team comes out on floor, band playing, waving the state flag...still after 52 years gives me chills........

You all see an early NCAA exit as a problem/deficiency of some sort...we see it as hope and progress. You youngins will eventually learn this, I hope....it is the Journey, not the destination. We are not Duke/UNC/UK/KU/IU etc...just little ole Maryland. And I would never change it. Our victories are gold. Each and every one.

10. The Reindeer Terp

Expand Collapse

I am hoping, of course, that the current freshmen, get better, Trimble, Wiley, Nickens and Cekovsky. Especially Wiley. He will be our starting 2 SG next year. Kid can shoot it. Keep in mind we are discussing rankings....I only mentioned Final 4 if Diamond Stone comes. There are quite a few top 20 teams that lose early in NCAA's every year.

Nobody on this board knows anymore or less than me when it comes to crystal ball predictions. Just opinions.

Maryland has been down during last 8 years of Gary Williams career due to his lack of recruiting the DC AAU scene, as dirty and sordid as it gets. Turgeon is opening those doors once again. If Terps continue to recruit DC AAU like they have been under Turgeon (Wiley and Trimble, Roddy Peters) they will be back as a Top 20 mainstay like they were for 70's, 80's and late 90's to 2007).

11. brill

brill Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Good post Terp. agreed with you. BUt about Layman wow? He is not an NBA player. Not at all. I have no idea what NBA scouts are seeing. To invest a 1st round pick in Jake Layman? He will ride pine in the NBA for sure. Needs another year of college

12. The Reindeer Terp

Expand Collapse

I have seen every game Jake (Jay or Jack according to UVA and VTech radio teams) Layman has played as a Terp...mostly TV, many live.

His evolution has been as a rebounder and defensive stopper. He has matured mentally, and physically, to where he is best rebounder and defensive player on team. His scoring has improved, but not to where he consistently scores against better teams.

He is 6-9, great leaper, and has really unlimited potential. But, as we have discussed, the road to staying in NBA is littered with the corpses of potential. Games earlier this year, at OK St, ISU, and at MSU, Jake got his hands on dozens of passes, and I think his length has been a problem for every team we have played. Still does not warrant NBA 1st rd pick, IMHO.

13. saliva

saliva Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Cincinnati will be really good next year. The only senior on the team is Jermaine Sanders and he averages 5 a game.

Not many teams will return two front court guys with the potential of Gary Clark and Octavious Ellis. Both are long, crazy athletic and already quite productive. Give them another year of strength development (Clark is only a freshman and Ellis comes from junior college) and they will be one of the top front court tandems in the country defensively and offensively. More so than any big men at UC in the past 15 years, Ellis could make the jump to All American next year. Compare his junior numbers and style of play to that of Kenyon Martin as a junior and they are incredibly similar.

Troy Caupain will return as the starting point guard as a junior and he's has been tremendous in conference play. His advanced statistics are off the charts and he just turned 19 in late November and he's just a sophomore. So he's already the youngest player on this current UC team and he averages 10 points, 4 rebounds and 4 assists while shooting 46/40/88.

This team has a chance to be a top 5 defensive team in the country next year and with offensive improvements I'd project them to be a top 12-15 team next year. It will easily be the best team since Cronin has been at UC.

14. jswolf

jswolf Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I've watched the Terps multiple times this year, I really like Layman. I agree with your thoughts on him. Athletic, long, etc. reminds me a bit of a Chandler Parsons/Mike Dunleavy type player. Every time I've seen him play this year the one thing I think he needs is to be more aggressive for 40 minutes, kind of get the chip on his shoulder a little bit. I certainly think he has plenty of NBA potential.

15. Noahtogo24

Noahtogo24 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Is he going to leave early? Also, is that Ivan Bender guy going to play any minutes this season.

16. endicott

endicott Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't see Justise coming back, and Duke's going to have some questions...

G - Tyus Jones(35) / Allen & Kennard(5)
    G - Grayson Allen or Luke Kennard, really don't know...
    G - Matt Jones(30) / Kennard or Allen
    F - Amile Jefferson(30)/ Sean Obi(5)/ 4 Guard Lineup(5)
    C - Chase Jeter(25) / Marshall Plumlee(10) / Sean Obi(5)

Justise could come back, and Duke might land Ingram(We really need it). That's a dicey lineup, though.

17. dmacforheisman

dmacforheisman Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Probably not that great but I could see us sneaking into the NIT. We lose Portis and Madden but should get Qualls back and bring in Jimmy Whitt.

PG: Anton Beard/Jabril Durham
    SG: Jimmy Whitt/Anthlon Bell/Nick Babb/Dusty Hannahs
    SF: Michael Qualls/Manny Watkins
    PF: JaCorey Williams/Keaton Miles
    C: Moses Kingsley/Trey Thompson

Guards should be solid but the rest outside of Qualls...

18. brill

brill Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Terp- I believe you. Not doubting it at all. You have seen Layman way more than me. I am just shocked by it b/c I saw maybe 6 or 7 times last year and 2 or 3 times this year and never did I picture 1st round pick for Jake Layman.. Average college player? yes. but 1st round? wow. draft must be weaker

19. Don Pitinos Cards

Don Pitinos Cards Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It depends on who stays and goes for us. Harrell and Rozier are most likely gone, but I thought Harrell was gone last year and he surprised me. I'm not counting on having either back though, and Jones and Blackshear will be graduating. Those are our top 4 scorers, and over the last several games they have been our ONLY scorers. So either way, we will have huge holes to fill on offense.

With that said, we do have some talent on the bench; it just hasn't been producing this year because our freshmen are raw and unpolished for the most part. Quentin Snider will play a big role at PG (4 star). Anton Gill will be back as a junior. Aaron was a 5 star recruit at SF and is long, lanky and athletic - he is the one who I think will need to step into the leader role. We have plenty of bodies inside too, with 4 stars Onuaku and Jaylen Johnson, and the two 3 star centers Mahmoud and Stockman, along with Mathiang who will be returning as a junior. That's 5 guys over 6'9, they are just extremely raw and not ready to contribute right now. All of them need to hit the weight room hard over the summer and improve their fundamentals.

As for freshmen, Donovan Mitchell is a 5 star SG coming in who will be thrust into action right away. Deng Adel is a 5 star 6'7 SF. Raymond Spalding a 6'9 4 star PF. Freshmen don't usually contribute too much, but these guys will have to given what we will be losing after this year.

Overall, it's anyones guess what this team will do. There's just too many unknown variables. Will the freshmen be ready to contribute right away? How much improvement will we see from our returning players? We have the pieces to be a good team, it's just up to Pitino to make them fit.

20. GE Nole

GE Nole Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

6 to 9 seed in the NCAA. Maybe catch a few breaks along the way and be a 4/5 seed. Maybe have a couple late-game heartbreakers and be a 10 seed.

21. endicott

Expand Collapse

XRM is going to be Hell for as long as he's at Florida State. Definitely could see an Al Thornton type thorn in the side for many, many teams.

22. brill

brill Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

terp- I watched MD today just so I could see how great Layman is. I just don't see it. I must watch during his worst of moments but I don't see him as the best or 2nd best player on the court when he plays. That's what 1st rd picks need to be. He should be able to take over the game

23. endicott

Expand Collapse

I think Layman can be pretty special. No racist, but he's kind of everything I'd hoped Alex Murphy to be. A big, really, really athletic 3/4 combo with good hustle, improving shooting and lots of potential. As far as the next level, I think his big positive is that he can project as a straight up 3, something a lot of guys with his profile can't.

24. TD28

TD28 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I still think we will get a grad transfer too. Hopefully a D Kane type.

25. buckymel

buckymel Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

If Wisconsin gets Stone, we'll be good. If not, well, we probably finish as BIG #4. Remember, Bo never finishes worse than that.
    We'll lose Jackson, Kaminsky, Gasser, and probably Dekker. That's a lot. However, we'll have Hayes and Koenig back. Both are capable of a All-BIG season. Our guard rotation looks fine with Showalter and Hill. Just don't know if Vitto Brown can develop like Kaminsky did last year.

26. Cyclonacity

Cyclonacity Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It's certainly possible. I would take a 6'10 C to backfill the front court. I think Cooke can start at the 2 and we'll be deep at the 3 with Williams and Nader. Either way should be a top 15 team or better with a core of Morris, Niang, and Mckay.

27. Swat30

Swat30 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I know absolutely nothing about our incoming recruits, but the rest of team should be pretty much exactly the same as this year's...plus Devin Davis.

This post was edited on 2/8 7:30 PM by Swat30

28. GE Nole

GE Nole Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'd be surprised if he plays more than one more season.

29. robamartin

robamartin Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Agreed. Syracuse will be much improved next year despite the loss of Christmas. Basically we're losing one guy, albeit a very important guy, but adding 6 we don't have right now. And if Patterson transfers as seems very possible, we could bring in a monster of a 7th guy in Bryant. If that happens, here's our rotation.

PG - Kaleb Joseph (the former top 50 recruit has been outstanding in spots, and has 48 assists to 24 turnovers in ACC play. Not fantastic but at least improved from OOC play. If he continues to develop and stops making the occasional bone head early Scoop Jardine-like play, as a sophomore he can be a solid PG.

Frank Howard - was a top 30 or so recruit til his ACL injury his sophomore/junior year but looks to be 100% now. The combo guard is still a 4 star recruit.

SG - Trevor Cooney - very solid SG as long as he's not the primary scoring threat the other team keys in on. next year he won't be. and his defense will keep him on the court despite being only the third best wing player on this team after Gbinije and Richardson. He's fifth best in ACC steals this year and second last year.

Malachi Richardson - top 15 recruit, one of the best pure scorers in his class. The concern was he's too skinny to contribute right away but he's reportedly but on a lot of muscle this past year. at 6'6, he might not start but will play Dion Waiters-like minutes at the 2 and the 3.

SF - Mike Gbinije - quietly becoming one of the best players on this team. Can play the 1, 2 and 3, and probably will at all spots to maximize his minutes. If Joseph doesn't continue to develop as expected, don't be surprised if he plays a ton of minutes at the point to allow him, Richardson, and Cooney to all play on the court at the same time.

Tyler Roberson - the former 4 star recruit has really stepped up his play after McCullough went down. as a sophomore he's finally starting to live up to expectations. He is a monster rebounder, having multiple games with 17 boards including at St. John's. His outside shot is still inconsistent, but if he works on that this summer he'll instantly be one of our best players. He's quietly come close to averaging a double double in ACC play.

PF - Chris McCullough - if the former 5 star recruit comes back healthy, he could put up big numbers and be one of our best players.

Mustaphe Diagne - the 4 star big man could possibly get some minutes here and there, but given Boeheim never plays 10 deep, he'll likely spend much of the year on the bench.

C - Thomas Bryant the 6'10 5 star big man could possibly take the starting job from Coleman.

DaJuan Coleman - the former McDonalds all-American has already been practicing with the team for many weeks now and looks to be 100% for next year. He's lost a bunch of weight which hopefully will help him stay healthy next year.

The Others:
    That's 10 deep right there. We also have SF BJ Johnson, who as a sophomore was the star of last night's win at Notre Dame, scoring 19. If he keeps it up, it might be hard though to keep him off the court the way he can shoot.

The 4 star recruit Tyler Lydon is a great stretch forward in high school but will likely need to put on some weight before he can play meaningful minutes.

Chinoso Obokoh - our back up center this year is still pretty raw. if Bryant comes to Syracuse, I don't see him stealing many minutes from Bryant and Coleman at center. Not to mention, Boeheim will go with McCullough at center over Obokoh anyway.

I don't see any way Ron Patterson can get any minutes next year, which is why I think he's the favorite to transfer out, clearing a spot for Bryant. Gbinije, Richardson, and Cooney are all ahead of him at the 2 spot - the only position Patterson can play, and Kaleb Joseph and likely Frank Howard will also likely be ahead of him. Plus he's already in the doghouse with Boeheim for multiple things anyway.
    This post was edited on 2/25 3:26 PM by robamartin

30. coryfly

coryfly Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Do you really think Jones comes back? I would think with the talk of Duke asking that other kid (Thornton I think) to reclassify they may think Tyus is gone. The way he has looked lately I would lean towards that but you would know better than me.

31. Jkwo

Jkwo Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

41-0.