ADVERTISEMENT

How good is this Purdue team?

Necessary Roughness

Sep 14, 2012
20-1

1 point loss to Rutgers who is a good team.

I've watched them twice and was very impressed both times. They have good shooters and a really great big man.

Anyone who has watched them more closely(B1G fans), what do you think?

What can deter them beside obvious injury issues?

Is this their year? What say you?

Just really fundamentally sound and they don’t beat themselves, Maybe not the ceiling some have but the floor is much higher than most.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
I would love to see Purdue play Bama or Houston. They just fundamentally don’t have the kind of athlete/NBA players those teams have but I feel like they could force those teams to play their game.

This is just a tough team to speed up or slow down, which is insane for freshman guards.

Purdue and Vols are the 2 best regular season teams in the nation right now. Does that mean we will be in March though? time will tell

I have a feeling, you take Edey out with a couple found and they fall apart.

Purdue needs another star to step up.

Shocked they didn't do better last year in the tournament.

• Haha
I think the Cats can beat them. Oscar would give Edey the business
If by "Cats" you mean Arizona, and by "Oscar",you mean "Ballo,then I agree.

Otherwise,nope. Oscar struggles with length---and well....................

Purdue is really good. Lot of close calls, so not some juggernaut,but really, really good. Plus good teams when close games---And Purdue is a good team.

Super efficient....they don't turn it over----solid enough defensively. And there is Edey.

My concern?---Freshman guards. So far, so good. But s good as Edey is, those two dudes are the staw the stirs the drink. They dribbld with purpose.....get great angles for post passes to edey, and set him up very, very well. I think Purdue would suffer more if one ,or both of those dudes get into foul trouble, opposed to Edey; Alhtough not as big/dominant---Furst/Kaufman-Renn are solid dudes in the post.

How far? No clue----NCAAT is a crap shoot. BUT, the pieces are there for a legit, deep run.

Purdue is really good. Lot of close calls, so not some juggernaut,but really, really good. Plus good teams when close games---And Purdue is a good team.

Super efficient....they don't turn it over----solid enough defensively. And there is Edey.

My concern?---Freshman guards. So far, so good. But s good as Edey is, those two dudes are the staw the stirs the drink. They dribbld with purpose.....get great angles for post passes to edey, and set him up very, very well. I think Purdue would suffer more if one ,or both of those dudes get into foul trouble, opposed to Edey; Alhtough not as big/dominant---Furst/Kaufman-Renn are solid dudes in the post.

How far? No clue----NCAAT is a crap shoot. BUT, the pieces are there for a legit, deep run.
We are starting to see the David Jenkins we thought we were getting when he transferred in. Dude came in with perhaps more career three pointers (305) than any other active player in America and struggled to shoot early in the year. We don't need him to shoot much but be a threat. He's now hit 6 of his last 8 from three in the last 3 games. If he can be >40% the rest of the year, that takes some pressure off Smith and Loyer.

We are starting to see the David Jenkins we thought we were getting when he transferred in. Dude came in with perhaps more career three pointers (305) than any other active player in America and struggled to shoot early in the year. We don't need him to shoot much but be a threat. He's now hit 6 of his last 8 from three in the last 3 games. If he can be >40% the rest of the year, that takes some pressure off Smith and Loyer.
Forgot abouot Jenkins....Dude is starting to get there.

Homer take here, so forgive me----but I think IU is also getting there. Shooting has been solid. JHS and TJD are playing really good basketball. Defense has been our issue most of the year, but that has been much better.

I think IU/Purdue is gonna be epic this Saturday.

If you can get fouls on him, I don't think Purdue is very good.

Last year was their year.
Lat year's team was talented but grossly flawed. Great offensive team but #93 defensive team. Ability was there but not cohesion.

This year's team is still top 5 in offensive efficiency but now 17th in defensive efficiency despite not being as physically gifted. They are locked in.

Forgot abouot Jenkins....Dude is starting to get there.

Homer take here, so forgive me----but I think IU is also getting there. Shooting has been solid. JHS and TJD are playing really good basketball. Defense has been our issue most of the year, but that has been much better.

I think IU/Purdue is gonna be epic this Saturday.
For sure. Biggest Purdue - IU game since 2016.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Lat year's team was talented but grossly flawed. Great offensive team but #93 defensive team. Ability was there but not cohesion.

This year's team is still top 5 in offensive efficiency but now 17th in defensive efficiency despite not being as physically gifted. They are locked in.

I hope Purdue wins it all. Edey is so big in what you guys do. Just wondering if you get a shit ref that ends Edey up on the sidelines.

• Love
Reactions: snowsquirrel11
For sure. Biggest Purdue - IU game since 2016.
I'll fukin be in Lexington. My wifes brother has season tix, so we are going to FLorida game. Gonna be weird when I ask the bartender to turn on the IU/PU game... 🤣 .

My brother though lives less than 5 miles from Rupp. So gonna call him and be like---"Hey man, whatcha doing next Sat......We are gonna be in town,thought we'd stop by an visit---Oh, and BTW, you are gonna have the Indiana/Purdue game on .........right?

I'll fukin be in Lexington. My wifes brother has season tix, so we are going to FLorida game. Gonna be weird when I ask the bartender to turn on the IU/PU game... 🤣 .

My brother though lives less than 5 miles from Rupp. So gonna call him and be like---"Hey man, whatcha doing next Sat......We are gonna be in town,thought we'd stop by an visit---Oh, and BTW, you are gonna have the Indiana/Purdue game on .........right?
Ouch

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I know, right? Her brother gives us tix about three times a year....We always pick dates in advanced, b/c of my basketball schedule. So wife was like, "Hey, you have a game of Feb 4th? Looked at my schedule, and was like,"Nope babe, I'm open that day....."

After we got the tix, I was like---"why does that date(4th) sound familiar----Then it hit me: ****---IU/Purdue game....And llook I might not be smart, but I am smart enough to know NOT TO cancel on the wife...Even though she was like, "babe, you ain't gotta go...I know you wanna watch the game. I can just take a friend..."

That ^^^^^ is NOT THE TRUTH.

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
Extremely good, very well coached...But going to get beat in Bloomington Next Saturday.

mourning-nod.gif

I have not seen them, but look forward watching.

What can deter them beside obvious injury issues?
Here are the best ways to exploit us imo:

- Length and athleticism to pressure our guards. Think what Rutgers does defensively. Houston could definitely pose issues there.

- In ball screen defense, Edey is constantly in drop coverage. If you have a 5 that can shoot, it can cause big problems. Dickinson showed some of that.

- Our defense, by design, keeps things in front of it and concedes mid-range jumpers. By percentage of shots, our opponents get the fewest "close twos" and the second most "farther 2s" (aka mid-range jumpers) in the country. So if a team is comfortable in that mid-range area, they could feast on rhythm jumpers.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT