ADVERTISEMENT

How good is this Gonzaga team?

Ha....you think I care that Durant played for Texas?
Multiple ACC fans weighed in and picked Durant. Unfortunately we can't see the voters in that poll. I'm pretty sure about 90% of the Davis voters were Kentucky fans.

And at least one other ACC fan said he picked Davis, so? As usual you're just saying something with no real backing just because he didn't allow you to see who voted.

I think that 08 KU team is overrated but good lord at the 4 teams directly ahead of them. That's an awful list.

And at least one other ACC fan said he picked Davis, so? As usual you're just saying something with no real backing just because he didn't allow you to see who voted.

I think that 08 KU team is overrated but good lord at the 4 teams directly ahead of them. That's an awful list.

Hey man, 02 MD had talent, and pedigree!😎

No real backing? 😆

Are we really gonna pretend that there aren't a zillion Kentucky fans here, and that they don't homer the polls?

I'm pretty sure there was a "Who would have won the title" poll last season, and the winner was Kentucky.

No real backing? 😆

Are we really gonna pretend that there aren't a zillion Kentucky fans here, and that they don't homer the polls?

I'm pretty sure there was a "Who would have won the title" poll last season, and the winner was Kentucky.

Are there more UK fans? Sure. But the first 3 non UK responses in that thread (by a UL, IU & UNC fan) were all saying AD. So it's not just UK fans, clearly.

Historically, Wouldn’t rank the Zags near the Top 10 all time. Last 20 or so years, I’d rank them very high. Very good team that benefitted from having nearly everyone back in the covid year.

How would Teague stop Suggs? Could TJones stop Kispert? Nembhardt and Ayayi are way better than Lamb and Miller.

You're forgetting about our #2 in the draft that year. Our defense wasn't about Teague stopping a Suggs. Outside maybe but inside, we had our enforcer. That team would've outscored the Zags. i.e Indiana round 2. How would the Zags with their porous defense, stop the Cats lol. Our 96 Team's defense would have eaten them alive.

Reactions: Disco Hat
That 2012 team with Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist was off the charts. We all know how good Davis was but Kidd-Gilchrist was the key. He was determine to take away your #1 option and quick enough to guard the 1 and 2 positions.

That 2012 team with Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist was off the charts. We all know how good Davis was but Kidd-Gilchrist was the key. He was determine to take away your #1 option and quick enough to guard the 1 and 2 positions.

Kentucky was so good that year because AD/MKG was the best defensive combination seen in a long time. MKG was the best perimeter defender in the country while AD obviously was a generational defensive player inside. Though in today's game not sure how well it would work offensively since we only had one real shooter on the floor.

Reactions: AWilli6995

Kidd--Gilchrist was a beast, he probably averaged nearly 10 Reb per and was a shut down defender I think he guarded multi positions but it feels like it was 20 years ago so I can't remember specifics... That UK team was just an elite defensive team I don't know where computers ranked them historically.

Computers are neat they can tell us a lot of things but there are things computers can't, or don't measure.

Are there more UK fans? Sure. But the first 3 non UK responses in that thread (by a UL, IU & UNC fan) were all saying AD. So it's not just UK fans, clearly.

FWIW I picked Davis because I saw first hand on how he can dominate a game.

Kidd--Gilchrist was a beast, he probably averaged nearly 10 Reb per and was a shut down defender I think he guarded multi positions but it feels like it was 20 years ago so I can't remember specifics... That UK team was just an elite defensive team I don't know where computers ranked them historically.

Computers are neat they can tell us a lot of things but there are things computers can't, or don't measure.

Kenpom had them 7th in the country defensively. So great but not historically so. Seems off tbh.

FWIW I picked Davis because I saw first hand on how he can dominate a game.

That can't be true baracus said only UK homers picked Davis.

Here are the top 25 KenPom teams of all-time (20th season). This Gonzaga team is evidently okay.

Top25-Ken-Pom-All-Time.png
Kenpom having 2013 UF over 2006/2007 UF completely discredits this poll.

You're forgetting about our #2 in the draft that year. Our defense wasn't about Teague stopping a Suggs. Outside maybe but inside, we had our enforcer. That team would've outscored the Zags. i.e Indiana round 2. How would the Zags with their porous defense, stop the Cats lol. Our 96 Team's defense would have eaten them alive.
Kentucky was so good that year because AD/MKG was the best defensive combination seen in a long time. MKG was the best perimeter defender in the country while AD obviously was a generational defensive player inside. Though in today's game not sure how well it would work offensively since we only had one real shooter on the floor.
Like a rational person who's open to changing his mind when new info becomes available, I now agree that most of the previous national champions would beat this Gonzaga team after watching that game last night.

This was a down year in CBB but that Baylor team fit the profile of past national champions and the Zags were hilariously outclassed.

National Champs typically have top 10ish offenses/defenses, multiple guards close to All-American level who can shoot/playmake/defend, multiple NBA draft picks and big men who can protect the rim and guard ball screens.

I thought Baylor +4.5 was a steal but never thought they would dominate like that so I think the Zags are more of a regular 1 seed in a regular year and not an overwhelming favorite vs the field.

Reactions: BasketBallJunkie-UK
Agreed, with the way the game's involved, not sure that team would beat Nova 2018 or Baylor 2021 who had so many shooters and playmakers but still rebounded/defended well but I think UK 2012 beats all other recent champions.

The fact that you think Doron Lamb is better than Nembhard or Ayayi proves my point. Thank you. Zero of your basketball takes have credibility after that one.

Doron Lamb outscored both of your boys combined in the game that mattered most. Oops.

Agreed, with the way the game's involved, not sure that team would beat Nova 2018 or Baylor 2021 who had so many shooters and playmakers but still rebounded/defended well but I think UK 2012 beats all other recent champions.

Individual matchups are always a different discussion and I don't necessarily disagree with either. That UK team was largely fine with teams that pressured the ball and played small because the entire lineup was able to step out and guard on the perimeter. I always felt they were better when teams played up tempo too but Cal doesn't like that so we didn't see it that much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT