How do you rank coaches?

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by Jhmoss1812, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Jhmoss1812

Jhmoss1812 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

There's been some talk on this board about who the best current coaches are. However, I think it's really hard to determine that because people have different criteria. For example, many people say Tony Bennett or Fred Hoiberg or Mark Few can't be the best coaches because they haven't won any titles. And that's fair to a degree. But just because you've won titles in the past does not mean you are the best coach currently. For example, does anyone think Kobe or Tim Duncan is the best player in the NBA right now? Probably not. But no one in the league has more titles than they do. So what factors do people need to use to determine who the best coach in the game currently is?

2. That MGH Guy

That MGH Guy Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

It's such a complete cop out answer, but it's almost by feel. Almost any accomplishment you can come up with can be shot down by someone who really wants to. That isn't concrete obviously. K and his wins would be really hard to discredit. But Final Fours and National Championships can kind of mean whatever you want them to.

For example: Tom Crean has a Final Four under his belt. Beat one of the best UK teams in the modern era to get there. Tony Bennett doesn't have a FF. Sean Miller doesn't have a FF. Mark Few doesn't have a FF. If I was starting a program, all three of them are on my list way before Tom Crean. Roy Williams have a pair of National Championships. I'd take the previous three over him right now as well.

I think Cal and K are the best ones doing this right now. I bet people could give me a dozen reasons why they aren't. It's nearly impossible.

3. manu1433

manu1433 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

For me, I take the recent past into account, how their program is currently doing, and how well they have have their program set up for success in the near future.

This post was edited on 2/26 12:17 PM by manu1433

4. brooky03

brooky03 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

My answer will sound biased, and maybe it is.

I can't say I rank regular season success ahead of post season success, but I do give it much more weight than I think most do. Consistency is key for me.

5. Quavarius

Quavarius Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It's a combination of factors. Winning at a high level for a long time is something I look at. The NCAA Tournament is important, but it's a crapshoot and everyone knows it. I tend to weight them evenly. Putting yourself to be in title contention every year is important to me. Dean Smith doesn't have the titles many people assume he has, but what he was able to do for 36 years at UNC, you don't leave him off your "Greatest list" because he failed so many times in the Final Four.
    Posted from Rivals Mobile

6. wcc31

wcc31 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If we're talking TODAY:

Basically, I ask myself- if I were an AD and could hire any college coach I want for the next few years (let's say 5 to take age out of the equation but also include recruiting), what would be my list?

It's subjective, but I take into account:

Current success- where his program is NOW; Recent success- where his program has been in the past 5 years or so; and Future success- where do I see his program going in the near future.

1. Calipari
    2. Coach K
    3. Self
    4. Miller
    5. Izzo

Now, that leaves out on-the-rise guys like Hoiberg, Bennett and Ollie. You also have veteran coaches whom I'm probably not giving enough credit because of current circumstances- Pitino, Boeheim, Beilein, Roy and Matta. Then, you have the guys who also have to be considered- Few, Wright and Ryan.

If you're talking career, that's much simpler.

7. champs99and04

champs99and04 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Chad, I am going to assume you just forgot about Donovan.

8. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

I take a little bit of everything into account. Based on all the things I consider (wins, post season success, recruiting, getting guys to the pros, ect), Calipari is the best at the moment. As far as overall career goes, that is a different subject with a different answer IMO.

9. TANEYTOWN

TANEYTOWN Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think Gregg Marshshall is the best.

10. wcc31

wcc31 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You are correct.

11. SoundSlave

SoundSlave Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Blah, blah, blah. Coaches are ultimately measured by only one thing, WINS.

12. hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I rank coaches by how closely their name rhymes with the word "feline".

13. sven187

sven187 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't rank coaches. I have better things to do than rank coaches. Like telling you guys I don't rank coaches.

14. endicott

endicott Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think a lot of it is personal opinion.

I've tried to gather some stats, like record in close games, OT games and against ranked opponents, but it's never really reliable.