ADVERTISEMENT

How did you become a fan of your favorite team?

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
For me I just grew up around sports fans. However, I mainly have to give credit to my older brother because he got to choose what we watched while my parents were at work and he chose sports. I can remember watching games when I was 4-5-6 years old and then I became a stats nerd going into middle school.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Older brother attended Louisville and got me tickets for basketball and football games at a young age when I had just started watching sports. Was also the same time The Steelers were in their Iron Curtain Super Bowl heyday. Became a fan of both for life.

During the 93-94 season, I used to actively root against Duke. I remember pulling for Marquette, Michigan State, Purdue, and Florida in the 94 tourney. One disappointment after another. But the team I really hated was Arkansas. They seemed too dominant; I wanted an underdog to take them down.

Final game came down to Duke and Arkansas, the two schools that I despised the most. It was tough, but I had to root for Duke... I cheered for Duke in that game for the first time - and I haven't looked back. So the actual first full season of my Duke fandom began in 1994-95, the dreaded year where K had a back injury and Duke went 2-14 in conference play.

During the 93-94 season, I used to actively root against Duke. I remember pulling for Marquette, Michigan State, Purdue, and Florida in the 94 tourney. One disappointment after another. But the team I really hated was Arkansas. They seemed too dominant; I wanted an underdog to take them down.

Final game came down to Duke and Arkansas, the two schools that I despised the most. It was tough, but I had to root for Duke... I cheered for Duke in that game for the first time - and I haven't looked back. So the actual first full season of my Duke fandom began in 1994-95, the dreaded year where K had a back injury and Duke went 2-14 in conference play.

Interesting that you now root for a team that represents everything you used to root against

I knew you were T shirt

source.gif

I was a Raider fan till the Panthers were born so I had no problem kicking them to the curb. I been a UNC fan since I was 8. In middle school we watched some of the ACC tournament during gym class on the Jefferson Pilot Network, that was before cable.

Grew up in Indiana. When I was 8, IU was playing UNC for the title; 1981. I remembered that day because as y'all know, President Regan was shot. I recall my uncle's and my grandpa bitching about them possibly cancelling the game. I thought , "damn..this basketball thingy must be important shit." Our President was fighting for his life, but all my folks cared was rather or not IU was gonna play. I watched more of my family yelling, screaming, high fiving, than I did the game. But from that moment...I was hooked.

Part 2:
Kentucky "fan". My brother was a UK fan. Man he and I would go at it. One time during an IU/UK game my grandfather heard us bickering. Came in, turned the game off. Told us..."If you cannot respect one another as brothers, and will let a game come between you, you'll simply not watch". Papa then made us watch the others team play. Told us..."You don't have to like the other team..but you'll damn sure respect your brother". I was 11. Brother was 9. He and I both have "followed" the others respective teams ever since. I just thank the Lord my brother wasn t a Purdue fan..Probably would've just told papa to leave the damn TV off..Laughing

So you came out in 94-95. Was your family supportive or did you face backlash?

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
I was a Raider fan till the Panthers were born so I had no problem kicking them to the curb. I been a UNC fan since I was 8. In middle school we watched some of the ACC tournament during gym class on the Jefferson Pilot Network, that was before cable.
Oh man, used to watch UK games on Jefferson Pilot/Raycom. What a garbage network that was. Laughing

Grew up in Indiana. When I was 8, IU was playing UNC for the title; 1981. I remembered that day because as y'all know, President Regan was shot. I recall my uncle's and my grandpa bitching about them possibly cancelling the game. I thought , "damn..this basketball thingy must be important shit." Our President was fighting for his life, but all my folks cared was rather or not IU was gonna play. I watched more of my family yelling, screaming, high fiving, than I did the game. But from that moment...I was hooked.
So you got involved in the middle of the glory years, but have been getting kicked in the nuts for the past 30, give or take a few. :D

Part 2:
Kentucky "fan". My brother was a UK fan. Man he and I would go at it. One time during an IU/UK game my grandfather heard us bickering. Came in, turned the game off. Told us..."If you cannot respect one another as brothers, and will let a game come between you, you'll simply not watch". Papa then made us watch the others team play. Told us..."You don't have to like the other team..but you'll damn sure respect your brother". I was 11. Brother was 9. He and I both have "followed" the others respective teams ever since. I just thank the Lord my brother wasn t a Purdue fan..Probably would've just told papa to leave the damn TV off..Laughing
Was it embarrassing getting your ass kicked by a 9-year-old when you were 11? Winking

Reactions: IUfanBorden
When I was about thirteen my moms best friend said she could imagine me at Duke. I took that to heart. I watched a bit in the late 80s and early 90s. Good in school, good at sports, did a lot. I eventually went there. Viola!

Last edited:
Was a UK fan until about 2010 I believe. Idk around that time. Then my brother in law introduced me to the CARDS!

So you don’t remember 2012 and barely remember Louisville’s 2013 title, but you followed Kentucky til 2010?

Not busting your balls...just confused.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
For me I just grew up around sports fans. However, I mainly have to give credit to my older brother because he got to choose what we watched while my parents were at work and he chose sports. I can remember watching games when I was 4-5-6 years old and then I became a stats nerd going into middle school.
West Lafayette townie. Grew up going to Purdue home football and basketball games, and my mom still lives in town. Moved to the east coast after graduating high school and would never willingly live in Indiana ever again, but still a huge Purdue fan.

So you don’t remember 2012 and barely remember Louisville’s 2013 title, but you followed Kentucky til 2010?

Not busting your balls...just confused.

I only remember bits and pieces. Like the only thing I remember from 2011 was HEARING that Louisville lost to Morehead state as I was walking down the hall at my elementary school. So that's how Im guessing it was 2010. That sounds right. I remember the night that we lost to Uk in the FF in 2012, but I don't remember any play or what happened, I just have a picture in my head of that night since people were over at my house. And then 2013, all I remember is Luke's 4 threes.

It seems like I just remember 1-3 things from the years like 2014 and before.

It's like I have a very accurate and vivid memory of specific events or plays, but nothing as a whole.

I grew up in a small town near Lawrence and have always lived in the Lawrence/KC area. Brother and parents watched KU pretty religiously during the Roy years.

The earliest games I can remember are from 97...probably because of all the buzz throughout that season. Although I remember my teacher giving me a Jerod Haase poster about a year earlier (not because he was my favorite player, but because he was the token white player that she had the hots for). A few years later I beat him in a FT contest right after he gave me a couple pointers.

I only remember bits and pieces. Like the only thing I remember from 2011 was HEARING that Louisville lost to Morehead state as I was walking down the hall at my elementary school. So that's how Im guessing it was 2010. That sounds right. I remember the night that we lost to Uk in the FF in 2012, but I don't remember any play or what happened, I just have a picture in my head of that night since people were over at my house. And then 2013, all I remember is Luke's 4 threes.

It seems like I just remember 1-3 things from the years like 2014 and before.

It's like I have a very accurate and vivid memory of specific events or plays, but nothing as a whole.
Wait, so you're like 16?

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT