ADVERTISEMENT

How confident are you that CBB is going to happen this season?

No----I am giving a reason for losing a season...

Indiana has 104 players on their roster...

Covid may or may not cost a team a season. Cancelling a season will 100% cost teams a season.

I used Josh Norman from the Buffalo Bills as my example that you responded to. I assumed you were referencing the NFL.

But if you’re including all people on a roster, then some college hoops teams have 18 -20 players.

Reactions: Big ol arms
Covid may or may not cost a team a season. Cancelling a season will 100% cost teams a season.

I used Josh Norman from the Buffalo Bills as my example that you responded to. I assumed you were referencing the NFL.

But if you’re including all people on a roster, then some college hoops teams have 18 -20 players.
I never said cancel this season---I said PPD the start. This is why...Games are inevitably going to be lost. No doubt. Might only play 10 games---might play them all---I dunno. Odds are---teams are gonna miss games.

So....why not start in Jan....20 game slate...Because odds are, even with starting Nov 25th---you still might only play 20. Then again---you might not play 5. With how ramped up COVID is, why rush it? Why take the chance of starting Nov 25th,then 2 weeks later, cancelling b/c their is a massive outbreak throughout conference's/teams?

So----well, wait. Lets see where things stand a month from now. If no better---then play 20/25 games. To me the risk of starting NOW is to large.

Wait—basketball only has 15 guys? How am I just learning this revolutionary fact?!

Who cares? It’s not church league. Life isn’t fair.

And Covid isn’t “firing back up.” It’s been up. It’s just normal life now. It’s not gonna magically go down by January. If you want to wait for it to go away, you’ll be waiting for a long time.
Ya know, no reason to be a smart ass....It ain't about being fair. Its about not losing an entire season.

COVID isn't firing back up? What---you move to the moon(my smart ass turn)? I know here in Indiana, Governor is backtracking...Of the 98 or so Indiana counties, I think all but 2-3 are orange or red. Which ain't good. Indiana reported 5,610new cases yesterday....During the initial "surge", highest count was around 3K.

Yes, it is firing back-up.

But what’s the best? We know what’s gonna happen. Some teams will have multiple games cancelled. Some won’t. Most will have major starters miss games.

The records and stats aren’t gonna look the same this year. Who cares? There’s still winners and losers and games to be played.
I get this, BUT---Look, why the hurry? Odds are, many OOC games will be cancelled---Meaningless games TBH. So why take a chance on losing the ability to play conference games, just so you can get in a game vs a bunch of 200+ teams? I mean shit, most P5 schools could beat some of these teams they play early, with walk-ons. Why take that chance?

To me, to more closely protect March Madness----start in Jan. There is a very good chance if CBB starts when scheduled, that there could be(probably will be) a huge loss of games....Which then could lead(probably will), to a hiatus. Which then could lead to conferences starting to simply say--it ain't woth it---Shut'er down. Sure this COULD also take place in Jan.

Tough call. If it were my decision? Wouldn't start , at the earliest, until Jan. Gives us 2 months plus to play 20 games....Plus, the start is close to March.

Football is different. Its dumb to compare it to basketball.

So if the season is PPD---kids have to go home? Why? They not allowed to stay on campus?

Starting early does give flexibility...But its not needed, really. No one says you have to play OOC games. So if you start early----then start with conference games only. Otherwise, this is a very moot point.

I never said cancel this season---I said PPD the start. This is why...Games are inevitably going to be lost. No doubt. Might only play 10 games---might play them all---I dunno. Odds are---teams are gonna miss games.

So....why not start in Jan....20 game slate...Because odds are, even with starting Nov 25th---you still might only play 20. Then again---you might not play 5. With how ramped up COVID is, why rush it? Why take the chance of starting Nov 25th,then 2 weeks later, cancelling b/c their is a massive outbreak throughout conference's/teams?

So----well, wait. Lets see where things stand a month from now. If no better---then play 20/25 games. To me the risk of starting NOW is to large.

Because the cases won’t be any better in January, and by starting later you just reduce the amount of time that can be used for make up games.

They aren’t gonna play into late June. The tourney is gonna be in March/April regardless. So if you start in mid-January (the middle of cold and flu season), you’ve just shortened the window of time and likely assured yourself of even more missed games.

Ya know, no reason to be a smart ass....It ain't about being fair. Its about not losing an entire season.

COVID isn't firing back up? What---you move to the moon(my smart ass turn)? I know here in Indiana, Governor is backtracking...Of the 98 or so Indiana counties, I think all but 2-3 are orange or red. Which ain't good. Indiana reported 5,610new cases yesterday....During the initial "surge", highest count was around 3K.

Yes, it is firing back-up.

You’re a month behind. It fired back up weeks ago. Truthfully it never went away. It’s just changed locations some for the peak. And more people are being tested.

Reactions: CB3UK
I get this, BUT---Look, why the hurry? Odds are, many OOC games will be cancelled---Meaningless games TBH. So why take a chance on losing the ability to play conference games, just so you can get in a game vs a bunch of 200+ teams? I mean shit, most P5 schools could beat some of these teams they play early, with walk-ons. Why take that chance?

To me, to more closely protect March Madness----start in Jan. There is a very good chance if CBB starts when scheduled, that there could be(probably will be) a huge loss of games....Which then could lead(probably will), to a hiatus. Which then could lead to conferences starting to simply say--it ain't woth it---Shut'er down. Sure this COULD also take place in Jan.

Tough call. If it were my decision? Wouldn't start , at the earliest, until Jan. Gives us 2 months plus to play 20 games....Plus, the start is close to March.

It’s the opposite. If anything they should have started in September.

Because the cases won’t be any better in January, and by starting later you just reduce the amount of time that can be used for make up games.

They aren’t gonna play into late June. The tourney is gonna be in March/April regardless. So if you start in mid-January (the middle of cold and flu season), you’ve just shortened the window of time and likely assured yourself of even more missed games.
All fair points....I just think starting in a week is a bad idea.

Shut the damned season down?

They shut the tourneys down last year so why not this season. Let us just screw these kids out of their only opportunity to shine in the spotlight.

The NCAA is filled with a bunch of gutless wimps. The big conferences need to dump the NCAA. Do it as 5 conferences and let the mid-majors try to survive.

Covid-19 may make some basketball players sick for a week or so, but it will not kill them.

This is all a bunch of shit folks. We live in a country of wimps. No guts, just wimps.

None of that makes any sense.

Having games now does not put the conference season and the NCAA Tournament in more jeopardy, but rather the opposite.

These are small, tight groups. It’s not like a different kid on the same team will get it for 13 weeks in a row. There will breakouts where half the squad is out for a couple weeks and the school has to cancel games. Guess what? That means half the team is now immune for the rest of the season. If the goal is to have a meaningful season, the sooner that happens, the better.

And as others have said, a great many of these players have already had it - probably in the neighborhood of a quarter to a third or so.

Reactions: CB3UK and GE Nole
None of that makes any sense.

Having games now does not put the conference season and the NCAA Tournament in more jeopardy, but rather the opposite.

These are small, tight groups. It’s not like a different kid on the same team will get it for 13 weeks in a row. There will breakouts where half the squad is out for a couple weeks and the school has to cancel games. Guess what? That means half the team is now immune for the rest of the season. If the goal is to have a meaningful season, the sooner that happens, the better.

And as others have said, a great many of these players have already had it - probably in the neighborhood of a quarter to a third or so.
It makes sense because.........if there starts to be rampant cases, with a flood of cancellations---the NCAA/conference's are likely to "pull the plug" rather quickly". Like as in, Start Nov 25th---shut it down in late Dec/early Jan. You start in Jan--where there is a better feel on COVID, and a possible vaccine---you have a better chance getitng to March, starting Jan---than you do starting in Nov. Especially for how tings are now...

Shut the damned season down?

They shut the tourneys down last year so why not this season. Let us just screw these kids out of their only opportunity to shine in the spotlight.

The NCAA is filled with a bunch of gutless wimps. The big conferences need to dump the NCAA. Do it as 5 conferences and let the mid-majors try to survive.

Covid-19 may make some basketball players sick for a week or so, but it will not kill them.

This is all a bunch of shit folks. We live in a country of wimps. No guts, just wimps.
I am just as mad, and tired of hearing about COVID. It has cost me a lot of money.

BUT----it'snot just the kids...There is also ,well, guys like me---ys know, the officials. Sure, a 19 year old is probably gonna handle COVID just fine...But what about the 48 year-old me? Or the other 50+, older officials....

Or when I go home? And give it to my wife---who then passes it to her 77 year-old mother?

I'm furstrated as hell. I get some of it...But sooner or later man---we gotta open shit back up,100%.

I am just as mad, and tired of hearing about COVID. It has cost me a lot of money.

BUT----it'snot just the kids...There is also ,well, guys like me---ys know, the officials. Sure, a 19 year old is probably gonna handle COVID just fine...But what about the 48 year-old me? Or the other 50+, older officials....

Or when I go home? And give it to my wife---who then passes it to her 77 year-old mother?

I'm furstrated as hell. I get some of it...But sooner or later man---we gotta open shit back up,100%.

Research has been showing that there have been extremely limited COVID transmission during sporting events (among the participants. Can’t speak about the fans). The testing has played a big part in that at the college and pro level, but even at the high school level—you just aren’t around someone long enough during the game. Think about CDC guidelines, within 6 feet of someone for 10-15 minutes. How often is a ref within 6 feet of the same person for 10-15 straight minutes?

As to your fear of NCAA shutting it down, that’s not gonna happen. They can’t afford to go two straight years without March Madness. Shutting it down simply isn’t an option. Therefore, widening the window of when you can get games in is preferred to shrinking it.

Here is my take.....We start in 2 weeks---it will be non-stop, "stop and go". Might see teams playing with 7 guys...Maybe even 6. Coaches will be roaming the campus for walk-on's.

I think we need to wait----And look, this is coming from a guy who needs the $$$. I think wait until after the New Year. Conference only schedule. By doing so, I just feel it gives a better chance.

If you really needed the money, you would not say that. I'm actually shocked you think we should wait as that makes no sense. Are going to say we should just cancel the season when your start time comes and we are still having rediculous positive cases?

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT