ADVERTISEMENT

How confident are you that CBB is going to happen this season?

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
Ivy league just cancelled all winter sports including basketball. Covid on the rise. Some states going back to stay at home mode.

Several CBB tournaments cancelled already or being listed as not having a site where the games are being played.

Yet, we're all going on with our daily business on this board as if there's nothing to be worried about.

I'm personally not confident that we're even going to get CBB this year. And if we do get it it won't look like anything we've seen in the past. Wouldn't be surprised if we have teams playing less than 20 games all year or just playing a conference schedule.

I'm at the point where I personally do not believe we will have CBB in 2020 until I actually see it happen.

I'm personally not confident that we're even going to get CBB this year. And if we do get it it won't look like anything we've seen in the past. Wouldn't be surprised if we have teams playing less than 20 games all year or just playing a conference schedule.

We are going to see games played. There is also a reason why the minimum games played to be eligible for the current NCAA tournament is 13 games. It’s going to be a wild winter with lots of games canceled and smaller conference unable to play. The power conferences will play its just going to be very on the fly in my opinion

Also this board is basically dead minus the B1G thread and politics. Top 25 polls came out and no threads or discussion.

Just have some big corona parties like the kids in Florida. That way they are immune for a while. There ya go. Solved the problem. ;)

We are going to see games played. There is also a reason why the minimum games played to be eligible for the current NCAA tournament is 13 games. It’s going to be a wild winter with lots of games canceled and smaller conference unable to play. The power conferences will play its just going to be very on the fly in my opinion

Also this board is basically dead minus the B1G thread and politics. Top 25 polls came out and no threads or discussion.
Nobody cares about polls. The board is dead because basketball hasn't started yet.

Nobody cares about polls. The board is dead because basketball hasn't started yet.

Don’t disagree but been around awhile and the board is certainly not what it used to be. The fact no one comes over to discuss any preseason with games in 12 days is pretty telling. It isn’t like it’s July

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Don’t disagree but been around awhile and the board is certainly not what it used to be. The fact no one comes over to discuss any preseason with games in 12 days is pretty telling. It isn’t like it’s July
I think that's pretty true for sports in general. COVID has really put a damper on sports across the board. Tough to get too excited with so many unknowns.

I’m 100% confident games will be played. Fans? Idk. How many cancelled? Idk. Smaller leagues? Idk.

But games are gonna be played. Not sure where you live but people are pretty much living their normal lives where I am. I’ve been to 3 FSU football games. It’s honestly been great (aside from the results, lol). Beer in my seat (to limit people congregating in the concourses) has been fantastic.

100% but I do think a change in administrations at the White House cold change things.

A month ago I was 100% certain. Now I’m about 75%, also I feel like games will get postponed or cancelled due to players testing positive.

A month ago I was 100% certain. Now I’m about 75%, also I feel like games will get postponed or cancelled due to players testing positive.
I was reading something about testing positive once can put them out 4 games.

*“If you’re looking at the potential for disruption, part of our learning experience is that it can be up to two weeks, which is four games. So, we have to avoid that. You want to avoid that, is the right way to state it. We built in some accommodation at the end, probably for two games max, and then you’re just going to have to deal with winning percentages where games may be lost. You’re going to have to accept that disruption as a reality." - Greg Sankey

Last edited:
Reactions: UL_1986
I was reading something about testing positive once can put them out 4 games.

*“If you’re looking at the potential for disruption, part of our learning experience is that it can be up to two weeks, which is four games. So, we have to avoid that. You want to avoid that, is the right way to state it. We built in some accommodation at the end, probably for two games max, and then you’re just going to have to deal with winning percentages where games may be lost. You’re going to have to accept that disruption as a reality." - Greg Sankey
Yup. With some weeks having 2 games...it’s gonna be tough to have a complete roster if a player tests positive. Also, add in the fact that basketball has such a small roster where players are always in close quarters with eachother.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Yeah, def gonna have teams that miss a couple weeks at a time. The good news is, many of these guys have already had it.

Of course some games will get postponed or cancelled. That’s a given. We’ve seen it in every sport.
Right, but being that it’s basketball with rosters having 12 guys it changes everything, as opposed to football where if a player tests positive there’ll be more back ups, and sometimes said players role isn’t as crucial or essential.

Yup. With some weeks having 2 games...it’s gonna be tough to have a complete roster if a player tests positive. Also, add in the fact that basketball has such a small roster where players are always in close quarters with eachother.
Solidarity is king though. I not going to look up Calipari posting pics of head of team security officers.

The value of thee players

Here is my take.....We start in 2 weeks---it will be non-stop, "stop and go". Might see teams playing with 7 guys...Maybe even 6. Coaches will be roaming the campus for walk-on's.

I think we need to wait----And look, this is coming from a guy who needs the $$$. I think wait until after the New Year. Conference only schedule. By doing so, I just feel it gives a better chance.

Here is my take.....We start in 2 weeks---it will be non-stop, "stop and go". Might see teams playing with 7 guys...Maybe even 6. Coaches will be roaming the campus for walk-on's.

I think we need to wait----And look, this is coming from a guy who needs the $$$. I think wait until after the New Year. Conference only schedule. By doing so, I just feel it gives a better chance.
Agree with this. With numbers surging the way they are, the season starting when it is kinda puts a damper on things.

I disagree. If we can hold the Champions Classic, CBS Sportsblbaietchebhn...

Why not.?

Right, but being that it’s basketball with rosters having 12 guys it changes everything, as opposed to football where if a player tests positive there’ll be more back ups, and sometimes said players role isn’t as crucial or essential.

Such is life. We all understand the circumstances. Just the way things go.

I'm not trying to sound like the "roll the boy in the bubbles", but why not?

There's been a lot of money spent to keep these players safe already.

Why would waiting 5 weeks make a difference? You think there’s gonna be fewer cases in January?

Research shows that there has been extremely little (some say zero) infections during the actual games/matches being played across the world. If guys don’t go out partying all week, most will be okay. And remember, many have already had it.

And why is it a concern that teams might only have 7-8 players for some games? This isn’t “everyone gets a trophy” world. Next man up.

I’m sure the Bills would like to have Josh Norman this week. Oh well.

Reactions: Big ol arms
I disagree. If we can hold the Champions Classic, CBS Sportsblbaietchebhn...

Why not.?
For one, rosters are much different than football---100+ guys,compared to 12-15.

Two: COVID is apparently firing back up....

So just wait another month. Or, play and take the chance you might get 4 games in, before shutting it down.

I’m hoping for the best. We’ll see what happens.

But what’s the best? We know what’s gonna happen. Some teams will have multiple games cancelled. Some won’t. Most will have major starters miss games.

The records and stats aren’t gonna look the same this year. Who cares? There’s still winners and losers and games to be played.

Why would waiting 5 weeks make a difference? You think there’s gonna be fewer cases in January?

Research shows that there has been extremely little (some say zero) infections during the actual games/matches being played across the world. If guys don’t go out partying all week, most will be okay. And remember, many have already had it.

And why is it a concern that teams might only have 7-8 players for some games? This isn’t “everyone gets a trophy” world. Next man up.

I’m sure the Bills would like to have Josh Norman this week. Oh well.
I dunno what its gonna be like in Jan....I just know what it's like now----And it ain't good.

What is the concern with only having 7-8 guys? Well, a lot to be exact...Especially if 3 of those 8 are walk-ons...And, well, foul trouble...Or injuries. This ain't football where you have 100+ guys.

For one, rosters are much different than football---100+ guys,compared to 12-15.

So just wait another month. Or, play and take the chance you might get 4 games in, before shutting it down.
yQytrzK.gif

Wait—basketball only has 15 guys? How am I just learning this revolutionary fact?!

Who cares? It’s not church league. Life isn’t fair.

And Covid isn’t “firing back up.” It’s been up. It’s just normal life now. It’s not gonna magically go down by January. If you want to wait for it to go away, you’ll be waiting for a long time.

I dunno what its gonna be like in Jan....I just know what it's like now----And it ain't good.

What is the concern with only having 7-8 guys? Well, a lot to be exact...Especially if 3 of those 8 are walk-ons...And, well, foul trouble...Or injuries. This ain't football where you have 100+ guys.

Football doesn’t have 100+ guys.

But you’re just listing excuses for losing games. Losses will happen. We all know this. Some teams will be short handed. Thems the breaks. UL just lost two guys to injury, should we all wait for them to get healthy before we start the season?

Football doesn’t have 100+ guys.

But you’re just listing excuses for losing games. Losses will happen. We all know this. Some teams will be short handed. Thems the breaks. UL just lost two guys to injury, should we all wait for them to get healthy before we start the season?
No----I am giving a reason for losing a season...

Indiana has 104 players on their roster...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT