ADVERTISEMENT

How big of a bust is Wiggins? Wow.

SosaUK

Jun 11, 2013
Lexington, KY
Team
Kentucky
This isn't a shot at Kansas and i normally would take a shot at them but damn. I believe if Wiggins came to UK, Cal would have quit. To have the kind of talent he has and to seem to not care and be soft? Wow

Dude was supposed to be the next, "it" player. Minnesota is straight ******ed for giving him max deal, awful awful contract. KAT should get out ASAP.

Also Jabari Parker, these next LeBrons sure are LeFlops. The media does these kids zero favors.

Sad to see athletes like Wiggins with such god given talent who just don't care one bit. He didn't care much before but once he got that big contract he just didn't care at all. He will get bought out eventually of that huge contract and then will be out of the league. What a disappointment.

KAT doesn't seem to have a major drive as well. That's been a knock on him as well. Reason Butler hated playing with the 2 of them.

This isn't a shot at Kansas and i normally would take a shot at them but damn. I believe if Wiggins came to UK, Cal would have quit. To have the kind of talent he has and to seem to not care and be soft? Wow

Dude was supposed to be the next, "it" player. Minnesota is straight ******ed for giving him max deal, awful awful contract. KAT should get out ASAP.

Also Jabari Parker, these next LeBrons sure are LeFlops. The media does these kids zero favors.
Are only the kids that don't go to uk flops?

How often has it been that the next big thing really ended up being, the next big thing? These kids are hyped so much coming out of HS that having a solid NBA career will never be enough. They have to be All Stars in order to not be considered a bust. I am not sure about his demeanor or his character, but in his 5th year he is averaging pretty much 20 ppg for his career. Are we upset that Wiggins isn't leading the league in scoring? I always looked at Vince Carter as a player that could have been in a league of his own had he had the desire. But he has kept a job for like 30 years or something like that. I wouldn't consider him a bust.

How often has it been that the next big thing really ended up being, the next big thing? These kids are hyped so much coming out of HS that having a solid NBA career will never be enough. They have to be All Stars in order to not be considered a bust. I am not sure about his demeanor or his character, but in his 5th year he is averaging pretty much 20 ppg for his career. Are we upset that Wiggins isn't leading the league in scoring? I always looked at Vince Carter as a player that could have been in a league of his own had he had the desire. But he has kept a job for like 30 years or something like that. I wouldn't consider him a bust.
7b0db14988bca138cf311265d1c2d1f0.jpg

He did have some success in the Marine corps.

I understand your point but Wiggins is one of the top 2-3 most hyped high school players since LeBron James. Maybe only Greg Oden had more discussion about how great he would be. Wiggins was on the cover of SI before he played a game at KU and they were suggesting he would be a legend comparable to Wilt and Manning. Around that same time rumors came out saying Adidas was prepared to offer him a $200 million dollar contract after he declared for the draft. He’s been solid compared to the average guy in the NBA but he’s nowhere near as good as people thought he would be. By now he “should have” been a top 3–5 player in the game.

Wiggins is a bust. The 20ppg is solid, but he doesn't consistently impact the game in any other way. How is a guy that long and athletic not averaging 8-11 rebounds a game? How is he not an elite defender?

Last night Wiggins was almost unable to start the game. He forgot to put his jersey on under his warmups. I’m not kidding, unfortunately.

Wiggins is what he is. Very talented, every measurable imaginable, but just lacks killer instinct and drive. KAT isn’t as bad, but he has some of the same deficiencies, just not on Wiggins level. Those two will never be able to make the Wolves anything more than a fringe playoff team who can’t compete with the elite in the West.

As for Butler....he’s a bad teammate. A really nice player, but a bad teammate, nonetheless. If he was the kind of player he thinks he is, then his potential would be limitless.

The truth of the matter is....at best, Butler and KAT are #2 guys on nba playoff teams who could contend. That’s at best. Wiggins is probably, right now, a third-best kind of guy. It’s a shame, too....because I’m not sure there’s 10 guys in the league with more God-given talent than Wiggins. As a long-suffering Wolves fan, it’s painful watching someone with his potential being wasted.

Lastly, this isn’t something on Kansas or Kentucky in regards to Wiggins and KAT. Each one of us is just wired differently. My only hope, although I lose some of it each passing day, is that the two of them are still only 24 and 23, respectively. It’s what I tell myself to keep my sanity.

I haven’t been keeping up but I thought I had read recently Kat had been on a tear since butler was traded. Not true?

Last night Wiggins was almost unable to start the game. He forgot to put his jersey on under his warmups. I’m not kidding, unfortunately.

Wiggins is what he is. Very talented, every measurable imaginable, but just lacks killer instinct and drive. KAT isn’t as bad, but he has some of the same deficiencies, just not on Wiggins level. Those two will never be able to make the Wolves anything more than a fringe playoff team who can’t compete with the elite in the West.

As for Butler....he’s a bad teammate. A really nice player, but a bad teammate, nonetheless. If he was the kind of player he thinks he is, then his potential would be limitless.

The truth of the matter is....at best, Butler and KAT are #2 guys on nba playoff teams who could contend. That’s at best. Wiggins is probably, right now, a third-best kind of guy. It’s a shame, too....because I’m not sure there’s 10 guys in the league with more God-given talent than Wiggins. As a long-suffering Wolves fan, it’s painful watching someone with his potential being wasted.

Lastly, this isn’t something on Kansas or Kentucky in regards to Wiggins and KAT. Each one of us is just wired differently. My only hope, although I lose some of it each passing day, is that the two of them are still only 24 and 23, respectively. It’s what I tell myself to keep my sanity.

the only God-given talent he has is his vertical jump
his outside shot has not improved, something i do not understand because he shoots a beautiful soft outside shot

i watched him in H.S. 20+ times over two years
he still to this day will stand on the sideline with his hands on his hips

i agree on Butler, i would hate having him on my team

I haven’t been keeping up but I thought I had read recently Kat had been on a tear since butler was traded. Not true?

He’s playing well. He’s just not a leader and doesn’t really make others better. But he’s still a good player. I just think he lacks some of the things to take him to the next level.

Reactions: Dward13
his outside shot has not improved, something i do not understand because he shoots a beautiful soft outside shot

I disagree on Wiggins. Yes, he can jump, but his physical attributes are impressive. And as you mentioned, he has a beautiful shot. He possesses so many intangibles that can’t be taught. He just lacks the drive and instinct.

This video showed a breakdown of his abilities compared to other NBA players. He can do more than just jump.

I disagree on Wiggins. Yes, he can jump, but his physical attributes are impressive. And as you mentioned, he has a beautiful shot. He possesses so many intangibles that can’t be taught. He just lacks the drive and instinct.

that is still mind boggling to me
when he was a JR. at H-Prep i thought when this kid gets some serious reps he is going to be lethal from the outside
for whatever reason it still has not happened

That contract is on Minnesota and the NBA.
Maybe evaluate and pay on production and not on potential..
like most employers.

Love the "Wow" … like it's been some big unraveled mystery. Laughing
It's Wiggins, same as he was when he came into the league.
It's Minnesota, basketball savvy as hell.
A beautiful recipe for a kid who just wants to get paid to hoop.

$25m/yr and most likely he gets to leave Minnesota....
Fuching Genius.

Reactions: RockChalkRally
It’s certainly on the Wolves for making the decision to sign him long term, but let’s not pretend Wiggins hadn’t shown signs of breaking out some.

He averaged almost 24 points per game just two seasons ago. Since signing his max contract he’s regressed significantly. It was my hope that last season was just a blip, but he’s been even worse this year. He’s averaging under 17/game and is down in every meaningful category.

And yet everyone says butler was the cancer. Of course he wanted out of there.

Wiggins is stealing money from the wolves. Kid doesn’t even care.

And yet everyone says butler was the cancer. Of course he wanted out of there.

Wiggins is stealing money from the wolves. Kid doesn’t even care.

Butler is a cancer. He proved it in Chicago and then Minnesota. He’ll prove it at some point in Philly, too.

There’s also a rumor that Butler might have slept with KAT’s old girlfriend.

Reactions: KisteK
I mean, I know Wiggins could be more.....But I'm not aware of to many guys dropping 20 a night in the NBA, being called a bust.

He’s not doing that. He did for one season....two years ago, and prior to signing a max deal.

I don’t think it’s fair calling him a bust, either. He’s not a bust. I’d call him a disappointment, though. That’s safe to say, IMO.

Reactions: speedfrk
As a KU fan I'd be lying of I didnt say I am highly disappointed in Wiggs. At KU he could've had a Durant like freshman year, but hands on hips and low effort in games. Scored a whopping 2 if i remember right in our 2nd round exit. He was on 2nd team All America, but I felt he could've been so much better. Maybe, this is just who he is and a tease on potential. I do wish he would get out of Minnesota and a fresh start. Hell hes going to have to after that contract runs out and he has to prove himself. Hoping he finally turns into a borderline allstar at some point at least.

He’s not doing that. He did for one season....two years ago, and prior to signing a max deal.

I don’t think it’s fair calling him a bust, either. He’s not a bust. I’d call him a disappointment, though. That’s safe to say, IMO.
His career average is 19.7

I always was astonished when people thought that Wiggins was going to be the better pro than Embiid. Embiid was a fluid athlete with a naturally soft touch. It was just a matter of time before he put it all together, and anybody that watched much of KU that year saw that he was developing at a fast pace. The only question was his health. Wiggins though....he was a fantastic athlete, but his shooting was just pedestrian. Not good enough of a ball handler to utilize his athleticism when opposing defenses closed in on him. So he'd take ill-advised jump shots that he'd inevitably miss more often than not. He's got a spot in this league, but I was skeptical that he'd ever be a star.

Scored a whopping 2 if i remember right in our 2nd round exit.

Wiggins was great when Embiid was healthy. Everybody put their focus on stopping Embiid. When Embiid went down, they focused on Wiggins. And he couldn't cut it. Embiid could score when being double and triple teamed, Wiggins just couldn't.

ADVERTISEMENT