ADVERTISEMENT

How’s Tennessee gonna be this year?

GE Nole

Sep 12, 2005
I see FSU drew the Vols in the Semi-finals of the Emerald Classic. November 29.

Seems like FSU should be favored at first glance—will the Vols be decent?

FYI, Purdue and VCU are the other teams in the tourney.

Here come the trolls to do the exact thing they accuse others of doing.Laughing

But noooo....they’re not obsessed.

Reactions: KisteK
@della come tell us how Ricky won’t choke again this yr.
Probably the same way he didn't choke last year. I think it might be a stretch to think he will a consensus COY award again, but he will do just fine.

Did y'all manage to avoid Duke this year in the early tourneys?

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
I see FSU drew the Vols in the Semi-finals of the Emerald Classic. November 29.

Seems like FSU should be favored at first glance—will the Vols be decent?

FYI, Purdue and VCU are the other teams in the tourney.
The Vols will probably kick y'all's ass.

Probably the same way he didn't choke last year. I think it might be a stretch to think he will a consensus COY award again, but he will do just fine.

Did y'all manage to avoid Duke this year in the early tourneys?
Lol, I always enjoy a good Della take.

Reactions: kl40504 and della
Should have a great January and February.

Barnes' teams never win on the defensive end.
He recruits some great defensive players like Royal Ivey at Texas but his teams never buy into any sort of defensive system.

Rick Barnes at Tennessee is a Peak Sweet 16 coach.
Think they get into the Tournament unless you have 2-3 surprises in the SEC.
They will be a 8, 9 or 10 seed and probably go out in the first round.

Reactions: kl40504

He recruits some great defensive players like Royal Ivey at Texas but his teams never buy into any sort of defensive system.

You sound like a jilted lover. Remember, Texas left Barnes, not the reverse. So, don't be jelly over his next relationship.

Reactions: olsonab

Meh, they were good enough to get to a FF last year. Had a complete team, but ran into a scolding hot Purdue team and lost a close game.

They really did get a bad draw.

They look to be in rebuild mode this year, but I think Rick Barnes will have them back on track in 2021.

Reactions: KisteK and olsonab
Who returns from last year? Any top 100 recruits?
The biggest returnee is Rick Barnes, aka: cat killer, 2 star converter, win magnet. Other than that, most of the back court (minus PG).

We picked up the #18 recruit and a Sr transfer (big man) along with some 3*'s.

Meh, they were good enough to get to a FF last year. Had a complete team, but ran into a scolding hot Purdue team and lost a close game.

They look to be in rebuild mode this year, but I think Rick Barnes will have them back on track in 2021.
Jeff, it always throws me off balance when a UK fan gives an unbiased report on the Vols. As I am seldom off balanced, it speaks to the rarity of such an occurrence.

Your assessment is accurate. :)

Reactions: kyjeff1
Lamonte Turner and Jordan Bowden return, both double-digit scorers.

Josiah-Jordan James is a 5-star recruit. Other than that, they're kind of lean, especially in the frontcourt. Wouldn't be surprised if Olivier Nkamhoua (#114 recruit on 247) starts alongside John Fulkerson. Tennessee, at least right now, looks like a bubble team to me.

I formulated some rankings in my head this past week... all the way out to #80. I'll have my official top 50 posted sometime in October. But for now, here are my preliminary preseason rankings of the teams mentioned:

#19 VCU
#22 Purdue
#32 Florida State
#57 Tennessee

Reactions: GE Nole
Tennessee also had Uros Plavsic (Arizona State) and Victor Bailey (Oregon) transfer in. Both will need waivers to play this season. Barnes sounds hopeful that Plavsic will receive a waiver. Have no idea how good he is.

The biggest returnee is Rick Barnes, aka: cat killer, 2 star converter, win magnet. Other than that, most of the back court (minus PG).

Sounds like y'all will be a lot better in February than you are in November.

Jeff, it always throws me off balance when a UK fan gives an unbiased report on the Vols. As I am seldom off balanced, it speaks to the rarity of such an occurrence.

Your assessment is accurate. :)
Hey, come on now Della, I've spoken kindly of the Vols quite a few times. Definitely more often than you've been complimentary of my cats.

I just like to rib you here and there, because I know you will fire back with something clever.

Lamonte Turner and Jordan Bowden return, both double-digit scorers.

Josiah-Jordan James is a 5-star recruit. Other than that, they're kind of lean, especially in the frontcourt. Wouldn't be surprised if Olivier Nkamhoua (#114 recruit on 247) starts alongside John Fulkerson. Tennessee, at least right now, looks like a bubble team to me.

I formulated some rankings in my head this past week... all the way out to #80. I'll have my official top 50 posted sometime in October. But for now, here are my preliminary preseason rankings of the teams mentioned:

#19 VCU
#22 Purdue
#32 Florida State
#57 Tennessee

Good stuff. I think FSU might be closer to 25 than 35, but can't really argue too much.

Interesting that VCU just keeps on keeping on after guys like Shaka and Will Wade leave. But the coaches never seem to match that success elsewhere.

Reactions: dukedevilz

We didn't get a Sr transfer post. The big man transfer will be a freshman if he gets a release to play this year (has not to date).

My analysis is Tennessee will be a bubble team this year unless we have better post play than it appears we will have. No real experience there and only one guy has ever seen the floor before. The sophomore and junior class at Tennessee have been busts so far and without major steps up, Barnes missed miserably for two years. Signed three post players in those classes: two have transferred (dismissed is what we hear) and one has been there two years and not played a minute. If Fulkerson is our best post player, NIT is most likely.

We didn't get a Sr transfer post. The big man transfer will be a freshman if he gets a release to play this year (has not to date).

My analysis is Tennessee will be a bubble team this year unless we have better post play than it appears we will have. No real experience there and only one guy has ever seen the floor before. The sophomore and junior class at Tennessee have been busts so far and without major steps up, Barnes missed miserably for two years. Signed three post players in those classes: two have transferred (dismissed is what we hear) and one has been there two years and not played a minute. If Fulkerson is our best post player, NIT is most likely.

Great info, thank you. Guess I was hoping y'all might be a bit better to boost the SOS and make sure any potential loss wasn't too damaging...

Good stuff. I think FSU might be closer to 25 than 35, but can't really argue too much.

Interesting that VCU just keeps on keeping on after guys like Shaka and Will Wade leave. But the coaches never seem to match that success elsewhere.

Probably not a big difference between the 25th and 35th best teams. FSU could easily be in the top 25. I think FSU should win this game, better balance and depth. Tennessee does have a decent backcourt, and that sometimes can be enough to at least keep things interesting. But I think UT's frontcourt and bench play is very concerning, and I think the grind of the SEC could take its toll on this team.

FSU will get a high-level opponent in their other game. I know some aren't expecting much from Purdue without Edwards, but their team was very, very efficient. Everyone returning has a PER north of 16, which should be extremely encouraging for any Boilermaker fan. Throw in a 20 ppg scorer from High Point, and you got yourself a legit top 25 team.

VCU is interesting. They're one of those mid-majors that always seems to win. In addition to their two coaches you mentioned, they also had Capel leave for Oklahoma in 06 and Anthony Grant left to take the HC job at Alabama in 09. VCU has just about everyone back, 8 of their top 9 return; they'll have 5 rising seniors in 2020... and they're bringing in a very talented recruit in Nah'son Hyland. This kid has been skyrocketing up the recruiting rankings. He wasn't even a top 300 recruit back in March (now a 4-star recruit). I think he'll be a major factor on this team.

Great info, thank you. Guess I was hoping y'all might be a bit better to boost the SOS and make sure any potential loss wasn't too damaging...
We are kicking y'all's ass GE, but don't worry about it cause we will be kicking a lot of other ass also. Hope that helps.

Reactions: KisteK and GE Nole
Probably not a big difference between the 25th and 35th best teams. FSU could easily be in the top 25. I think FSU should win this game, better balance and depth. Tennessee does have a decent backcourt, and that sometimes can be enough to at least keep things interesting. But I think UT's frontcourt and bench play is very concerning, and I think the grind of the SEC could take its toll on this team.

FSU will get a high-level opponent in their other game. I know some aren't expecting much from Purdue without Edwards, but their team was very, very efficient. Everyone returning has a PER north of 16, which should be extremely encouraging for any Boilermaker fan. Throw in a 20 ppg scorer from High Point, and you got yourself a legit top 25 team.

VCU is interesting. They're one of those mid-majors that always seems to win. In addition to their two coaches you mentioned, they also had Capel leave for Oklahoma in 06 and Anthony Grant left to take the HC job at Alabama in 09. VCU has just about everyone back, 8 of their top 9 return; they'll have 5 rising seniors in 2020... and they're bringing in a very talented recruit in Nah'son Hyland. This kid has been skyrocketing up the recruiting rankings. He wasn't even a top 300 recruit back in March (now a 4-star recruit). I think he'll be a major factor on this team.

I agree that the difference between 25 and 35 is pretty negligible. Honestly, this season seems like the difference between 10 and 35 might be negligible.

A great back court always gives you a chance, no doubt about it. Fortunately, as long as Trent Forrest is healthy we should be able to compete with anyone in the backcourt. Hopefully we can get Tennessee in some foul trouble and wear them down.

I agree about Purdue. Have a lot of good pieces.

VCU always seems to be good, but also seems to consistently struggle with long, athletic teams. Should be a good tourney!

Reactions: dukedevilz
You gonna come down to Destin for the game?
Destin? That would be pretty cool. I might be able to talk him into going since it is on the coast.
You going?

Destin? That would be pretty cool. I might be able to talk him into going since it is on the coast.
You going?

It’s the day after thanksgiving, which means it’s also the day before the FSU/UF football game. But given I’m only 2.5 hours away, I will most likely drive over for the game. Especially if it starts before 9pm eastern (it’s in central, by the way).

From my understanding, the games will actually be played in Niceville, FL at a local state college gym. Niceville is on a bay, whereas Destin is on a barrier island, about a 45 min drive away. But there are several other beaches like Choctaw Beach and Fort Walton Beach that are only 20-30 minutes away.

It’s the day after thanksgiving, which means it’s also the day before the FSU/UF football game. But given I’m only 2.5 hours away, I will most likely drive over for the game. Especially if it starts before 9pm eastern (it’s in central, by the way).

From my understanding, the games will actually be played in Niceville, FL at a local state college gym. Niceville is on a bay, whereas Destin is on a barrier island, about a 45 min drive away. But there are several other beaches like Choctaw Beach and Fort Walton Beach that are only 20-30 minutes away.

Damn, I forgot all about that tournament.

How big is that arena? I’ll be in the Grayton area and may check that out.

You sound like a jilted lover. Remember, Texas left Barnes, not the reverse. So, don't be jelly over his next relationship.

I actually gave Barnes a complement.
Tennessee doesn't have that much of a team and if he can get into the tournament as a 8,9 or 10 that is an accomplishment.

One of the best regular season coaches in the business but not much in March and April.
Getting to the tournament is half the battle.

Like you said we fired him so I have no reason to attack him.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

Were they.

I watched the game and truthfully Tennessee snuck past Iowa and couldn't against Purdue.

In both games it was because of Defense.
Contested shots are different than wide open threes.
Purdue was hot because they were getting good looks.

I get what Barnes was trying to do but truthfully i would have let Edwards shoot them.

Were they.

I watched the game and truthfully Tennessee snuck past Iowa and couldn't against Purdue.

I get what Barnes was trying to do but truthfully i would have let Edwards shoot them.
Iowa and Purdue were two good games. The "difference" against Purdue was a foul on a 3 pt shot and nothing more.

The reason Texas fans could be jelly is they threw away a top tier coach in hopes of getting a John Wooden and it hasn't worked out for them.

Reactions: olsonab
Were they.

I was impressed with Iowa, UT and Purdue. I think all three teams were playing great basketball at the right time.

IIRC, UT had a huge lead on Iowa and kinda let off the gas. Iowa roared back and made it a game.

I just think it was a tough region.

Usually I'm that guy that laughs at Iowa and refers to Purdue as "Purdon't", but I freely admit that both teams played great in the tournament.

Reactions: della
Iowa and Purdue were two good games. The "difference" against Purdue was a foul on a 3 pt shot and nothing more.

The reason Texas fans could be jelly is they threw away a top tier coach in hopes of getting a John Wooden and it hasn't worked out for them.

What makes him top tier?

Tennessee truthfully downgraded a lot more than Texas by losing Pearl

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
What makes him top tier?

Tennessee truthfully downgraded a lot more than Texas by losing Pearl
Wins, winning percentage and awards. Barnes owns the best winning % of all Texas BB coaches that have coached for any length of time. Barnes is a multiple national coach of the year winner.

Smart has Texas in the fast lane to nowhere sitting on his .518 overall winning percentage and his losing record against B12 comp. Want to brag about post season? Well you can't, Smart and Texas have been shown the door in both of their ncaa appearances.

I liked Pearl, he is a great coach except, he is a rules breaker. We just don't suffer cheaters and liars, so he had to go. If y'all don't mind a cheater, go after Pearl when you decide to move out of the land of mediocrity.

Yeah....kind of a bad look for a Texas fan to knock Barnes. No other Texas coach before or since has come close to his success. His worst years were comparable to Shaka's best.

Reactions: GE Nole and della
No one is knocking Barnes.

You want me to say Tennessee is going to win a National Championship?

Barnes brought energy to Texas Basketball. Very much like Tennessee.
Rick Barnes is very good at what he does. He can create a program.
What he created at Texas is still there under Shaka Smart.

Before Barnes the basketball program was an afterthought.
The Big 12 helped with this as well because Big 8 schools valued basketball a lot more than SWC schools.
Barnes brought NBA talent to Texas. Smart is continuing this. The talent hasn't dropped off.

When you are talking about wins and losses and what coach has the ability to make deep runs in the tournament.
I am still going with Shaka Smart.

Smart has a defensive system that works in the NCAA tournament.
Northern Iowa hit a 3/4 court shot.
Nevada hit 10 contested 3 point shots late in that game.

Seen quality Texas teams get shredded in the NCAA Tournament under Rick Barnes too many times.

Wins, winning percentage and awards. Barnes owns the best winning % of all Texas BB coaches that have coached for any length of time. Barnes is a multiple national coach of the year winner.

Smart has Texas in the fast lane to nowhere sitting on his .518 overall winning percentage and his losing record against B12 comp. Want to brag about post season? Well you can't, Smart and Texas have been shown the door in both of their ncaa appearances.

I liked Pearl, he is a great coach except, he is a rules breaker. We just don't suffer cheaters and liars, so he had to go. If y'all don't mind a cheater, go after Pearl when you decide to move out of the land of mediocrity.

You still haven't seen Texas peak under Shaka Smart.
The next two years you will because they are loaded in the Backcourt.

These last two years was Barnes peaking at Tennessee.
He had the experience needed.

Texas was relying on a Rick Barnes recruit in Kerwin Roach for senior leadership.
Pretty sure everyone around the program would much rather have Andrew Jones healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT