ADVERTISEMENT

Hot Take- Notre Dame should join Big East

EvilMonkeyInTheCloset

Feb 25, 2008
Your closet, most likely......
I know they have a working football deal with the ACC.

But, they need to break out of the bloated basketball conference. Honestly, Pittsburgh and even Louisville could benefit as well, though not to the Big East (I'd say Big 12, to give West Virginia some company).

The Irish name brand alone would add a lot of notoriety to a conference boasting a recent 2-time national champion and a host of other solid programs.

Not to mention it would be a lot more centrally-located for them travel-wise.

Villanova
Marquette
Seton Hall
St. John's
Georgetown
Xavier
Notre Dame
Creighton
Providence
Butler
DePaul

Notre Dame won 7 NCAA Tournament games from 2015-2017, I think they're fine. They've been hit by the injury bug worse than anyone in the ACC. They were one of the first 4 to miss the tournament last year; I'm confident that would have made it last year were it not for injuries to Bonzie Colson, Matt Farrell, and DJ Harvey. This year, they've had 3 season-ending injuries to Rex Pflueger, Robby Carmody, and Nikola Djogo. They had a top 15 recruiting class in 2018, so give them another year and a healthy team and they'll be back in the tournament.

Also, there's a heckuva a lot more money in the ACC.

Nobody is leaving the ACC for another conference; maybe some Divisional realignment or tweaking takes place in the next five or six years for football (i.e. Louisville has Virginia as their permanent cross Division game, but doesn't play Virginia Tech anymore than once every eight years).

It seems to work pretty well for all sports right now.

Why would anyone want to be in the Big East. That conference is history.

Nobody is leaving the ACC for another conference; maybe some Divisional realignment or tweaking takes place in the next five or six years for football (i.e. Louisville has Virginia as their permanent cross Division game, but doesn't play Virginia Tech anymore than once every eight years).

It seems to work pretty well for all sports right now.

tenor.gif

The Big East is basically Nova and a bunch of midmajors and has beens. Georgetown, and St. John's are never coming back. Seton Hall and Providence have no history outside of flash in the pan Final Four appearances. The rest were plugs to holes in a sinking ship and have spent the majority of its history as midmajors and basically are still midmajors if not for Nova's 2 recent national titles which has forced the media to call them a "Power 6" league.

No way it makes sense for ND to ditch a hoops league with UNC and Duke in it along with a plethora of other tradition rich programs so they can play Nova and the 9 dwarfs.

Reactions: AWilli6995
I know they have a working football deal with the ACC.

But, they need to break out of the bloated basketball conference. Honestly, Pittsburgh and even Louisville could benefit as well, though not to the Big East (I'd say Big 12, to give West Virginia some company).

The Irish name brand alone would add a lot of notoriety to a conference boasting a recent 2-time national champion and a host of other solid programs.

Not to mention it would be a lot more centrally-located for them travel-wise.

Villanova
Marquette
Seton Hall
St. John's
Georgetown
Xavier
Notre Dame
Creighton
Providence
Butler
DePaul

MAC