ADVERTISEMENT

Hopkins to UK

Villian07

Aug 11, 2015
Congrats on the commit ( 🤮) This one stings, no bones about it, but at least he’s still a year out, and wasn’t a signing day flip or something. Besides, really Hard to blame the kid for decommitting, esp with the uncertainty on the NCAA cloud hanging over us.

Wonder if he’s due another jump in the rankings, or if cal is seeing the writing on the wall regarding the emergence of the g league elite and the impending end of the one and done (we’ve heard about for a decade lol) Hel I imagine committing to UK and drawing interest from Cal will probly garner a jump in the rankings by itself. Seems to work that way, especially in football rankings.

Regardless he’s still a great pickup, I wasn’t trying to shade the guy or UK, i was very much excited when he verbaled to us, bc that’s kind of where we (used to) operate recruiting wise, top 30-75 with and occasional top 25 player.

I’m just used to duke and Uk landing more top 10-15 kids than top 30-50. Regardless, very good pickup.

But Recruiting is so batshit crazy, so I don’t get too involved until I see the kids on the court. Like I can’t understand how so many kids choose between rivals (which not saying we were even on Hopkins radar after the decommit but we obv were at some point). But like how can anyone’s recruitment come down to picking between duke or unc, how can you like them both to the point you can’t decide between the two when they are bitter rivals that hate each other. Same for UK/UL, I mean obv we are not blue blood like duke/unc so the comparison is not exactly the same, but it’s the same premise, I don’t understand how anyone could have both UK and UL on their list. Or mich/osu bama/auburn. Seems if they liked one, they wouldn’t like the other.

But I guess the have a lot more to consider than just what they like, bc it also amazes me that so many kids change and alter their lists and entertain 15-20 scholarship offers when making their lists. It just makes me think, esp with the elite guys who can basically pick and choose any school, like how do these guys not have a favorite college team?

Guess maybe I’m over estimating the importance of college sports to sports fans in places with pro franchises?

Congrats on the commit ( 🤮) This one stings, no bones about it, but at least he’s still a year out, and wasn’t a signing day flip or something. Besides, really Hard to blame the kid for decommitting, esp with the uncertainty on the NCAA cloud hanging over us.

Wonder if he’s due another jump in the rankings, or if cal is seeing the writing on the wall regarding the emergence of the g league elite and the impending end of the one and done (we’ve heard about for a decade lol) Hel I imagine committing to UK and drawing interest from Cal will probly garner a jump in the rankings by itself. Seems to work that way, especially in football rankings.

Regardless he’s still a great pickup, I wasn’t trying to shade the guy or UK, i was very much excited when he verbaled to us, bc that’s kind of where we (used to) operate recruiting wise, top 30-75 with and occasional top 25 player.

I’m just used to duke and Uk landing more top 10-15 kids than top 30-50. Regardless, very good pickup.

But Recruiting is so batshit crazy, so I don’t get too involved until I see the kids on the court. Like I can’t understand how so many kids choose between rivals (which not saying we were even on Hopkins radar after the decommit but we obv were at some point). But like how can anyone’s recruitment come down to picking between duke or unc, how can you like them both to the point you can’t decide between the two when they are bitter rivals that hate each other. Same for UK/UL, I mean obv we are not blue blood like duke/unc so the comparison is not exactly the same, but it’s the same premise, I don’t understand how anyone could have both UK and UL on their list. Or mich/osu bama/auburn. Seems if they liked one, they wouldn’t like the other.

But I guess the have a lot more to consider than just what they like, bc it also amazes me that so many kids change and alter their lists and entertain 15-20 scholarship offers when making their lists. It just makes me think, esp with the elite guys who can basically pick and choose any school, like how do these guys not have a favorite college team?

Guess maybe I’m over estimating the importance of college sports to sports fans in places with pro franchises?
Good post. I’m glad to see these kids land somewhere, and I’d say the aforementioned uncertainty probably did play a role. Would like to see him become good for 8 - 10 points, with that increasing over a couple of seasons. I’d love to see Aiden Igehorn (?) blow up too.

I Don’t think Sarr and toppin were ever much in doubt. With the uncertainty involving the pandemic, I haven’t seen the NCAA turn down anyone’s waiver that’s transferring, anywhere. I’m sure they probably have someone somewhere, but most seem to be getting the immediate eligibility waiver this season.

Sarr is a damn good player, especially offensively. I’ve never seen the younger Toppin.

I Don’t think Sarr and toppin were ever much in doubt. With the uncertainty involving the pandemic, I haven’t seen the NCAA turn down anyone’s waiver that’s transferring, anywhere. I’m sure they probably have someone somewhere, but most seem to be getting the immediate eligibility waiver this season.

Sarr is a damn good player, especially offensively. I’ve never seen the younger Toppin.

I read on HOB that some at UK are surprised how good Toppin is. Has grown some too.

I remember basketball. Seems like it was just 7 years ago. Louisville was king of the mountain.

It was more like 7 and 1/2

And a damn global pandemic took the best team we’ve had in the last 4-5 years fml. Hopefully everyone gets to play this year 🤞

Reactions: Random UK Fan
His brother kinda exploded on the scene out of nowhere, so you never know. I wouldn’t know him if I bumped into him.

Yeah, I would bet there were several assistant coaches that were questioned about that miss. Dayton????

I mean he wasn’t that highly rated out of high school correct? It’s not like a few teams missed on him, most everyone did.

Same thing with Ja Morant.

One of the many reasons I don’t follow recruiting like I did when I was younger. Outside the no doubt top 3-5 transcendent players every year it’s becomes more and more of a crap shoot. Like I’ve said before, there’s usually a much bigger difference in the 5th rated player and the 25th than the 25th ranked player and the 75th.

And sometimes even the Uber talented guys doesnt always mean winning in college as we saw back to back years in Ben Simmons and Markell’s Fultz.

Hell Washington seemingly put a kid in the lottery 2-3 years in a row without ever even making the ncaaT iirc.

I mean he wasn’t that highly rated out of high school correct? It’s not like a few teams missed on him, most everyone did.

Same thing with Ja Morant.

One of the many reasons I don’t follow recruiting like I did when I was younger. Outside the no doubt top 3-5 transcendent players every year it’s becomes more and more of a crap shoot. Like I’ve said before, there’s usually a much bigger difference in the 5th rated player and the 25th than the 25th ranked player and the 75th.

And sometimes even the Uber talented guys doesnt always mean winning in college as we saw back to back years in Ben Simmons and Markell’s Fultz.

Hell Washington seemingly put a kid in the lottery 2-3 years in a row without ever even making the ncaaT iirc.
How bad of a coach do you have to be to miss the NCAAT with a lottery pick on your roster… .. and you play in the PAC12? Yikes.

Hot take: Hopkins will use his one time transfer after his freshman year.

I think that all depends on who stays and who goes to the draft as well as who else UK lands in recruiting.

2013 was such a tough year, the NCAA decided to give us a cute little star so everyone would remember it more so than other past champs.

I mean hell the team with the number 1 recruiting class didn’t even make the tourney, it was THAT tough of a field.

How bad of a coach do you have to be to miss the NCAAT with a lottery pick on your roster… .. and you play in the PAC12? Yikes.

They did it multiple times, including once with the overall number 1 pick, regardless if it was a dumpster fire of a pick.

LSU doing it with Ben Simmons is even more unimpressive if u will.

Reactions: kyjeff1
It was more like 7 and 1/2

And a damn global pandemic took the best team we’ve had in the last 4-5 years fml. Hopefully everyone gets to play this year 🤞
But that 2013 tho....
tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT