ADVERTISEMENT

Hook and Hold Calls

Really don't understand why the hook became a flagrant foul. One of the dumbest points of emphasis I've seen the NCAA come up with.

Reactions: blue_in_chicago
I think it’s because it has led to some serious injuries. So I get it but going to the monitor just wrecks the flow

Reactions: RockChalkRally
I think it’s because it has led to some serious injuries. So I get it but going to the monitor just wrecks the flow

I get the emphasis part but what sucks is how long the officials spend forever at the monitors to determine if its a hook & hold.

Reactions: speedfrk
Really don't understand why the hook became a flagrant foul. One of the dumbest points of emphasis I've seen the NCAA come up with.
Because the action can cause serious injury. Its a good POE. Just needs tweaking. Instant replay IMO has ruined the flow of CBB----not officiating. Officials are just doing what they are instructed to do. I have no issue with instant replay to see if a shot counted or not. Or who the ball went OOB, on. But its become to much a part of the game. Seems everything gets reviewed. Just call it.

Because the action can cause serious injury. Its a good POE. Just needs tweaking. Instant replay IMO has ruined the flow of CBB----not officiating. Officials are just doing what they are instructed to do. I have no issue with instant replay to see if a shot counted or not. Or who the ball went OOB, on. But its become to much a part of the game. Seems everything gets reviewed. Just call it.

That was my point as well. I’m perfectly fine with the call because it has led to injury, but going to the monitor wrecks the flow

Reactions: IUfanBorden
That was my point as well. I’m perfectly fine with the call because it has led to injury, but going to the monitor wrecks the flow
I agree. If you see it....you see it. IMO.if there was enough for you to call it---then, well, ok. No need to go to the monitor. IMO, the rule is abused by coaches. Official calls a foul. Coachm and or a player say hey---"He hooked me". Now officials have to go look. IMO, enforce the F1 or just call a common foul. I mean, I've called it 3x's. Only once have I had access to a monitor-----But did not go to the monitor. Coach said----"you're just gonna call that, and not take a look"? I said---"I did take a look. Its why I called it. Don't need the monitor to show me what I already know". Conversation over.

I agree. If you see it....you see it. IMO.if there was enough for you to call it---then, well, ok. No need to go to the monitor. IMO, the rule is abused by coaches. Official calls a foul. Coachm and or a player say hey---"He hooked me". Now officials have to go look. IMO, enforce the F1 or just call a common foul. I mean, I've called it 3x's. Only once have I had access to a monitor-----But did not go to the monitor. Coach said----"you're just gonna call that, and not take a look"? I said---"I did take a look. Its why I called it. Don't need the monitor to show me what I already know". Conversation over.

I have no problem with the hook and hold but with how much time is spent at the monitor, save the trouble and call it a common foul so the game can continue.

Reactions: speedfrk
I have no problem with the hook and hold but with how much time is spent at the monitor, save the trouble and call it a common foul so the game can continue.
But its not a common foul. So you cannot call it as such. Going to the monitor is a pain in the ass. And needs to be addressed; Which it will be. Its a non basketball play, with contact. Just can't treat that as a common foul.

But its not a common foul. So you cannot call it as such. Going to the monitor is a pain in the ass. And needs to be addressed; Which it will be. Its a non basketball play, with contact. Just can't treat that as a common foul.

I’m agreeing with you and the time officials spend at the monitor has been ridiculous. If the hook & hold is call and the official who called it is dead set on what he saw, call it and move on. The rule emphasis is something I totally agree with but the time at the monitor is outlandish.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I’m agreeing with you and the time officials spend at the monitor has been ridiculous. If the hook & hold is call and the official who called it is dead set on what he saw, call it and move on. The rule emphasis is something I totally agree with but the time at the monitor is outlandish.
Agree, 100%. At times, using the monitor is needed. But not always. An abused privy, IMO. I know I probably pissed off the coach for not going to the monitor. And I am sure I'll hear about it. Is what it is.

Totally agree.

Beilein really doesn’t complain about much and he complained it. I don’t have an opinion either way.

seeing these called a lot this year. 4 combined calls and trips to the monitor this FSU/UCONN game alone. I know it’s a Point is emphasis but man it ruins the flow of the game.
You should try playing Wisconsin and getting called for six charges where the player never sets his feet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT