ADVERTISEMENT

Historically, rank your conference teams

HuskerGuy33

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2005
If I were to rank the B1G teams based on their basketball history, this is how I would rank them:

1. Indiana
----
2. Ohio State
3. Michigan
4. Michigan State
5. Illinois
6. Maryland
----
7. Purdue
8. Iowa
9. Wisconsin
10. Minnesota
----
11. Rutgers
12. Penn State
13. Nebraska
14. Northwestern

If I were to rank the B1G teams based on their basketball history, this is how I would rank them:

1. Indiana
----
2. Ohio State
3. Michigan
4. Michigan State
5. Illinois
6. Maryland
----
7. Purdue
8. Iowa
9. Wisconsin
10. Minnesota
----
11. Rutgers
12. Penn State
13. Nebraska
14. Northwestern
2-4 is extremely interchangeable and you can’t really draw issue with the ranking in there. I’m biased but I’d put MSU above you UM because of the 2 championships compared to 1, but any order of 2-4 would be fine I’m my eyes.

Reactions: GE Nole
Its obvious you are putting a lot of stock in a one and done tournament which the outcome would never be the same if played 100 times each year...
Having said that, Purdue deserves to be higher.

Nebraska is the only Power Program to not win a NCAA Tournament Game

You are the Bottom. Not just in the conference but college basketball in general
The reason why Nebraska is ahead of Northwestern are for these reasons:
They've finished in the top 25 two times in its history whereas Northwestern has never finished in the top 25.

Northwestern has been invited to the NCAA tournament 1 time in 2017
Nebraska has been invited to the NCAA tournament 7 times

Nebraska has won the NIT tournament and has won 7 regular season conference basketball championships and 1 Big 8 tournament championship.

Reactions: rdgtr and Villian07
I love the dissection of the two trash bottom teams. We need more of this. I'll add Northwestern's point shaving scandal could be another reason to pile on them. And yes I'd say off court issues should be incorporated into the discussion for all teams.

Also, fans of programs that don't succeed as much in the post season always tend to downgrade post season results. If I saw fans of successful post season programs criticizing the format of the post season the argument would have more legs maybe.

Interesting question. I’ll do this in tiers with the teams listed in order within the tiers, but some of the rankings within a tier are really interchangeable. Tier 3 in particular felt like a crap shoot.

Tier 1:
UNC
Duke

Tier 2:
Louisville
Syracuse
NC State
Virginia

Tier 3:
Notre Dame
FSU
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest
Pittsburgh

Tier 4:
Boston College
Miami
Clemson
Virginia Tech

^^^^ great list

Will be interesting to see if we(Louisville) and ND can maintain. I cant speak for nd but Louisville has had very little success since joining the acc, which obviously hasnt been that long, but still, all our success has come from other conferences

1. Kentucky (8 NCAA titles/ 4 RU's; 17 F4's; 81 Total SEC titles)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Florida (2 NCAA's/1 RU; 5 F4's; 11 Total SEC titles)
3. Arkansas (1 NCAA/1 RU; 6 F4's; 3 SEC's & 24 SWC's)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Louisiana State (23 NCAA bids; 4 F4's; 12 SEC titles)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Tennessee (23 NCAA bids; 13 SEC's)
6. Alabama (22 NCAA bids; 15 SEC's)
7. Mississippi State (11 NCAA bids; 1F4; 9 SEC's)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8. Vanderbilt (15 NCAA bids; 5 Total SEC titles)
9. Auburn (10 NCAA bids; 1F4; 5 Total SEC titles, 1 F4)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10. Georgia (12 NCAA bids; 1F4; 3 SEC's)
11. Texas A&M (14 NCAA bids; 1 SEC & 11 SWC titles)
12. South Carolina (9 NCAA bids; 1 F4; 1 SEC & 2 ACC titles)
13. Missouri* (28 NCAA bids; 0 SEC's & ?15 Big8 titles)
14. Mississippi (9 NCAA bids)

*Of all of the SEC teams, Missouri has the 3rd most number of NCAA bids when they were in the Big12/Big8. Since joining the SEC, Missouri has not won an SEC title unlike Texas A&M who had won it in 2016. Missouri would probably shoot up this list quickly if they had more conference success.

===================================================================================
(Addendum) My ranking criteria:
1. # of NCAA Championships
2. NCAA RU's
3. # of Final4's
4. # of Total Conference titles (Regular & Conf. Tourney) in their current conference
5. # of NCAA bids
===================================================================================

Last edited:
^^^^ great list

Will be interesting to see if we(Louisville) and ND can maintain. I cant speak for nd but Louisville has had very little success since joining the acc, which obviously hasnt been that long, but still, all our success has come from other conferences

Feels like UL is in better position to maintain than ND. Despite ND having an ACC championship.

UL’s arguably best team while in the ACC didn’t get a chance to see what might happen with a postseason.

Reactions: Villian07
1. Kentucky (8 NCAA titles/ 4 RU's; 17 F4's; 89 Total SEC titles)
3. Arkansas (1 NCAA/1 RU; 6 F4's; 3 SEC's & 24 SWC/B12's)
7. Mississippi State (11 NCAA bids; 9 SEC's)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9. Auburn (10 NCAA bids; 5 Total SEC titles, 1 F4)
10. Georgia (12 NCAA bids; 3 SEC's)
12. South Carolina (9 NCAA bids; 1 SEC & 2 ACC titles)

*Of all of the SEC teams, Missouri has the 3rd most number of NCAA bids when they were in the Big12/Big8. Since joining the SEC, Missouri has not won an SEC title unlike Texas A&M who had won. Missouri would probably shoot up this list quickly if they had more conference success.

Mizzou has conference success. Just not in the SEC. Feels weird to punish them because they recently changed conferences.

Last edited:
1. Kentucky (8 NCAA titles/ 4 RU's; 17 F4's; 89 Total SEC titles)
3. Arkansas (1 NCAA/1 RU; 6 F4's; 3 SEC's & 24 SWC/B12's)
7. Mississippi State (11 NCAA bids; 9 SEC's)
9. Auburn (10 NCAA bids; 5 Total SEC titles, 1 F4)
10. Georgia (12 NCAA bids; 3 SEC's)
12. South Carolina (9 NCAA bids; 1 SEC & 2 ACC titles)

*Of all of the SEC teams, Missouri has the 3rd most number of NCAA bids when they were in the Big12/Big8. Since joining the SEC, Missouri has not won an SEC title unlike Texas A&M who had won. Missouri would probably shoot up this list quickly if they had more conference success.

Arkansas was never in the Big 12 so all of those 24 titles would have been in the SWC.

Mizzou has conference success. Just not in the ACC. Feels weird to punish them because they recently changed conferences.

I agree with this; if I'm looking at the overall history of each program, I'd rank them like this:

1. Kentucky
----
2. Arkansas
3. Florida
4. Missouri

----
5. Alabama
6. Tennessee
7. LSU
----
8. Vanderbilt
9. South Carolina
10. Mississippi State
11. Auburn
----
12. Texas A&M
13. Georgia
14. Mississippi

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Feels like UL is in better position to maintain than ND. Despite ND having an ACC championship.

UL’s arguably best team while in the ACC didn’t get a chance to see what might happen with a postseason.
Oh im def aware, and we were deep and experienced and had a bucket maker in nwora. Granted we under achieved down the stretch after reaching number 1 forna couple weeks.

Mizzou has conference success. Just not in the ACC. Feels weird to punish them because they recently changed conferences.

That's just the way it is when you get a new job. Have to start from the bottom and work your way up in the new organization. Missouri has a lot of potential.

I agree with this; if I'm looking at the overall history of each program, I'd rank them like this:

1. Kentucky
----
2. Arkansas
3. Florida
4. Missouri

----
5. Alabama
6. Tennessee
7. LSU
----
8. Vanderbilt
9. South Carolina
10. Mississippi State
11. Auburn
----
12. Texas A&M
13. Georgia
14. Mississippi
I would still stick Missouri right around 13. The teams ahead of them had recent SEC and NCAA success while Missouri has only been so, so with 3 NCAA bids while in the SEC.

Teams like Alabama(15 SEC's; last one in 2021) & Tennessee(13 SEC's; last one in 2018) have won multiple SEC titles while Missouri has zero at the moment. LSU(11 SEC's; last one in 2019) has also gone on to 4 Final Four's while Missouri has never been to the Final Four. I would not rank Missouri ahead of these teams!

LSU has had historic success both in the conference and in the national landscape. Had LSU won a national title (having previous great players like Shaquille O'neill, Pete Maravich and numerous NBA lottery picks historically - recently Ben Simmons), the Bayou-Bengals would have easily been up there with Florida & Arkansas in the 2nd tier of SEC teams behind Kentucky.

A team like Mississippi State has a Final four appearance and had managed to win 9 SEC titles in a league where the dominant team had won 81 conference titles which makes it very difficult for all of the other teams to win just one.

Recently, teams like Auburn(2019 F4) & South Carolina(2017 F4) have gone on to the Final four in the last five years! Also, Texas A&M has managed to win an SEC conference title in 2016.

That is the reason why I have Missouri so low because of all these other teams out-performing Missouri right now!

Since Missouri likes to say that they are a "Show Me State",
Missouri has to "show me" & the other SEC members of what they can do while competing in the SEC conference!

Last edited:
That's just the way it is when you get a new job. Have to start from the bottom and work your way up in the new organization. Missouri has a lot of potential.

So Louisville should be considered a bottom tier ACC program because none of their multiple national titles came in the last 5-6 years?

It seems like you’re doing a ranking of success in the SEC, as opposed to ranking the current programs in the SEC based on their all time success.

Missouri tries to compete in everything but just aren’t good enough
No NBA teams is Kansas City or St Louis. They tend to be a basketball school. Kansas is tiny. Missouri should have been competitive with them

Great season every ten years.
On average. Coaching there has sucked. They finally have a program. Except them to be pretty competitive in the next 3-4 years

@dukedevilz already made the list for y'all.

New Rankings By Conference:

A10:
1. St. Joe's (46th nationally)
2. La Salle (47th nationally)
3. Dayton (54th nationally)
4. Duquesne (72nd nationally)

AAC:
1. Cincinnati (13th nationally)
2. Memphis (32nd nationally)
3. Houston (36th nationally)
4. Temple (39th nationally)
5. Wichita State (74th nationally)

ACC:
1. North Carolina (3rd nationally)
2. Duke (4th nationally)
3. Louisville (6th nationally)
4. Syracuse (14th nationally)
5. NC State (21st nationally)
6. Notre Dame (29th nationally)
7. Virginia (38th nationally)
8. Florida State (61st nationally)
9. Wake Forest (63rd nationally)
10. Pittsburgh (71st nationally)

Big 12:
1. Kansas (5th nationally)
2. Oklahoma State (17th nationally)
3. Kansas State (24th nationally)
4. Oklahoma (27th nationally)
5. West Virginia (30th nationally)
6. Texas (33rd nationally)
7. Baylor (59th nationally)
8. Texas Tech (75th nationally)

Big East:
1. UConn (8th nationally)
2. Villanova (9th nationally)
3. Georgetown (19th nationally)
4. Marquette (20th nationally)
5. St. John's (22nd nationally)
6. DePaul (41st nationally)
7. Xavier (49th nationally)
8. Butler (51st nationally)
9. Seton Hall (69th nationally)

Big Sky:
1. Weber State (73rd nationally)

Big Ten:
1. Indiana (7th nationally)
2. Ohio State (10th nationally)
3. Michigan State (11th nationally)
4. Michigan (12th nationally)
5. Illinois (26th nationally)
6. Purdue (34th nationally)
7. Maryland (37th nationally)
8. Wisconsin (40th nationally)
9. Iowa (43rd nationally)

CUSA:
1. Western Kentucky (35th nationally)
2. UTEP (58th nationally)

Ivy:
1. Princeton (44th nationally)
2. Penn (50th nationally)

MVC:
1. Bradley (55th nationally)
2. Loyola Chicago (62nd nationally)

MWC:
1. UNLV (31st nationally)
2. Wyoming (57th nationally)

OVC:
1. Murray State (66th nationally)

PAC 12:
1. UCLA (2nd nationally)
2. Arizona (15th nationally)
3. Utah (16th nationally)
4. Oregon (48th nationally)
5. California (53rd nationally)
6. Stanford (56th nationally)
7. Oregon State (64th nationally)
8. Washington (68th nationally)

Patriot:
1. Holy Cross (52nd nationally)

SEC:
1. Kentucky (1st nationally)
2. Arkansas (18th nationally)
3. Florida (23rd nationally)
4. LSU (45th nationally)
5. Missouri (60th nationally)
6. Alabama (65th nationally)
7. Tennessee (67th nationally)

WAC:
1. New Mexico State (70th nationally)

WCC:
1. Gonzaga (25th nationally)
2. San Francisco (28th nationally)
3. BYU (42nd nationally)

So...let’s say, hypothetically, they’d had the most success in the SEC since joining...then they’re #1?

Its obvious you are putting a lot of stock in a one and done tournament which the outcome would never be the same if played 100 times each year...
Having said that, Purdue deserves to be higher.
Possible. But their lack of NCAAT success kinda of hurts....2 FF's, 5 Elite 8's and 12 SW 16's is pretty meh. Their 24 Big 10 titles are impressive. But lack of postseason success hurts.

@dukedevilz already made the list for y'all.

New Rankings By Conference:

A10:
1. St. Joe's (46th nationally)
2. La Salle (47th nationally)
3. Dayton (54th nationally)
4. Duquesne (72nd nationally)

AAC:
1. Cincinnati (13th nationally)
2. Memphis (32nd nationally)
3. Houston (36th nationally)
4. Temple (39th nationally)
5. Wichita State (74th nationally)

ACC:
1. North Carolina (3rd nationally)
2. Duke (4th nationally)
3. Louisville (6th nationally)
4. Syracuse (14th nationally)
5. NC State (21st nationally)
6. Notre Dame (29th nationally)
7. Virginia (38th nationally)
8. Florida State (61st nationally)
9. Wake Forest (63rd nationally)
10. Pittsburgh (71st nationally)

Big 12:
1. Kansas (5th nationally)
2. Oklahoma State (17th nationally)
3. Kansas State (24th nationally)
4. Oklahoma (27th nationally)
5. West Virginia (30th nationally)
6. Texas (33rd nationally)
7. Baylor (59th nationally)
8. Texas Tech (75th nationally)

Big East:
1. UConn (8th nationally)
2. Villanova (9th nationally)
3. Georgetown (19th nationally)
4. Marquette (20th nationally)
5. St. John's (22nd nationally)
6. DePaul (41st nationally)
7. Xavier (49th nationally)
8. Butler (51st nationally)
9. Seton Hall (69th nationally)

Big Sky:
1. Weber State (73rd nationally)

Big Ten:
1. Indiana (7th nationally)
2. Ohio State (10th nationally)
3. Michigan State (11th nationally)
4. Michigan (12th nationally)
5. Illinois (26th nationally)
6. Purdue (34th nationally)
7. Maryland (37th nationally)
8. Wisconsin (40th nationally)
9. Iowa (43rd nationally)

CUSA:
1. Western Kentucky (35th nationally)
2. UTEP (58th nationally)

Ivy:
1. Princeton (44th nationally)
2. Penn (50th nationally)

MVC:
1. Bradley (55th nationally)
2. Loyola Chicago (62nd nationally)

MWC:
1. UNLV (31st nationally)
2. Wyoming (57th nationally)

OVC:
1. Murray State (66th nationally)

PAC 12:
1. UCLA (2nd nationally)
2. Arizona (15th nationally)
3. Utah (16th nationally)
4. Oregon (48th nationally)
5. California (53rd nationally)
6. Stanford (56th nationally)
7. Oregon State (64th nationally)
8. Washington (68th nationally)

Patriot:
1. Holy Cross (52nd nationally)

SEC:
1. Kentucky (1st nationally)
2. Arkansas (18th nationally)
3. Florida (23rd nationally)
4. LSU (45th nationally)
5. Missouri (60th nationally)
6. Alabama (65th nationally)
7. Tennessee (67th nationally)

WAC:
1. New Mexico State (70th nationally)

WCC:
1. Gonzaga (25th nationally)
2. San Francisco (28th nationally)
3. BYU (42nd nationally)
Looks like I nailed it for SEC

Reactions: duckboy33
So Louisville should be considered a bottom tier ACC program because none of their multiple national titles came in the last 5-6 years?

It seems like you’re doing a ranking of success in the SEC, as opposed to ranking the current programs in the SEC based on their all time success.

First things first, Missouri is no Louisville.

Louisville had won the NCAA three times along with numerous Final4 appearances. The Cardinals should be ranked highly in the ACC above the majority of ACC teams that have never won an NCAA title. I do not know the breakdown of what the ACC teams have done (i.e, conference titles, bids, F4's & NCAA titles); maybe someone else could do those for the ACC and the other conferences!

My ranking criteria (which is simple & straightforward)
2. NCAA RU's
3. # of Final4's
4. # of Total Conference titles (Regular & Conf. Tourney) in their current conference
5. # of NCAA bids

For those teams that were not ORIGINALLY in their current conferences (i.e, SEC),
I did not give any weight to what they have done in their prior conference(s). If they had won a conference title (i.e, SWC or Big8) that would directly equate to an automatic NCAA bid which is my criteria 5. Now, if that particular team was a great team, it would subsequently result in accomplishing criterias 1-3.

Prior to the 1980s NCAA tournament expansion to 64 teams, the only way to qualify for the NCAAs was to win your own conference.

Criteria 4 would favor all of the ORIGINAL conference members who may have had conference basketball success since their founding - in the SEC's case, that would be 1933.

Teams like Arkansas & South Carolina joined in 1992 in contrast to Missouri and Texas A&M joining in 2012. One could say that A&M and Missouri have done significantly better in football rather than in basketball which was the main reason for the SEC to invite those two particular teams. Texas A&M had their first Heisman winner (Johnny Manziel) while also finishing in the top 10 twice (equivalent to an E8 in college basketball). In football, Missouri had won two SEC-E titles but got waxed by better SEC teams in the conference title games.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those reasons stated above, I have ranked Arkansas very highly despite their lower number of winning SEC titles over other SEC teams that had won more SEC titles (i.e, Alabama Tennessee, LSU, Miss St). Compared to the other SEC teams, Arkansas is also ranked higher because of their historic national success (six Final4's) and being NCAA champions - not because of their total number of SWC titles which are substantial.

Never the less, in both 1994 & 1995, Arkansas while competing as an SEC member made two consecutive Final Fours including the 1994 national title and was also runner up - just missing out in becoming back to back national champions. Since joining the SEC in1992, Arkansas had consistently played SEC schedules (while taking on the likes of Rick Pitino's Kentucky Wildcats, Lon Kruger's Florida Gators). Recall in the 1990s, the SEC had four teams go to the Final4 (Florida, Mississippi St) and two teams winning three NCAA titles: Arkansas(1994, 1995RU), Kentucky(1996, 1997RU, 1998).

Last edited:
So...let’s say, hypothetically, they’d had the most success in the SEC since joining...then they’re #1?
If Arkansas can surpass winning 81 SEC titles - currently Arkansas has 3.
From 1992 - 2021, it's mathematically impossible to do so: 2 x 29 = 58.
Realistically, there is a lot more competition for winning those conference titles:
Kentucky! Kentucky! Kentucky!
Every now and then Florida, LSU, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, Georgia, South Carolina....Texas A&M, Auburn, Tennessee, Alabama.
(Notice: No Missouri in that list but 13/14 SEC members have won a basketball title in that time frame!).

If Arkansas can surpass winning 8 NCAA titles - currently 1.
From 1992-2021, teams that have won the most in that time frame:
UConn - 4
Duke - 4
UNC - 4
Kentucky - 3
Florida - 2
Villanova - 2
Teams winning 1: Arkansas, UCLA, Arizona, Michigan St, Maryland,
Syracuse, Kansas, Louisville, Virginia, Baylor

If Arkansas can surpass going to > 17 total Final4's - currently 6.
:
:
No!

Last edited:
Without going to far with the research..

1. Kentucky
2. Florida
3. Arkansas
4. LSU
5. Alabama
6. Missouri
7. Vanderbilt
8. Mississippi State
9. Auburn
10. Tennessee
11. South Carolina
12. Texas A&M
13. Georgia
14. Ole Miss

First things first, Missouri is no Louisville.

Louisville had won the NCAA three times along with numerous Final4 appearances. The Cardinals should be ranked highly in the ACC above the majority of ACC teams that have never won an NCAA title. I do not know the breakdown of what the ACC teams have done (i.e, conference titles, bids, F4's & NCAA titles); maybe someone else could do those for the ACC and the other conferences!

My ranking criteria (which is simple & straightforward)
2. NCAA RU's
3. # of Final4's
5. # of NCAA bids

For those teams that were not ORIGINALLY in their current conferences (i.e, SEC),
I did not give any weight to what they have done in their prior conference(s). If they had won a conference title (i.e, SWC or Big8) that would directly equate to an automatic NCAA bid which is my criteria 5. Now, if that particular team was a great team, it would subsequently result in accomplishing criterias 1-3.

Prior to the 1980s NCAA tournament expansion to 64 teams, the only way to qualify for the NCAAs was to win your own conference.

Criteria 4 would favor all of the ORIGINAL conference members who may have had conference basketball success since their founding - in the SEC's case, that would be 1933.

Teams like Arkansas & South Carolina joined in 1992 in contrast to Missouri and Texas A&M joining in 2012. One could say that A&M and Missouri have done significantly better in football rather than in basketball which was the main reason for the SEC to invite those two particular teams. Texas A&M had their first Heisman winner (Johnny Manziel) while also finishing in the top 10 twice (equivalent to an E8 in college basketball). In football, Missouri had won two SEC-E titles but got waxed by better SEC teams in the conference title games.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those reasons stated above, I have ranked Arkansas very highly despite their lower number of winning SEC titles over other SEC teams that had won more SEC titles (i.e, Alabama Tennessee, LSU, Miss St). Compared to the other SEC teams, Arkansas is also ranked higher because of their historic national success (six Final4's) and being NCAA champions - not because of their total number of SWC titles which are substantial.

Never the less, in both 1994 & 1995, Arkansas while competing as an SEC member made two consecutive Final Fours including the 1994 national title and was also runner up - just missing out in becoming back to back national champions. Since joining the SEC in1992, Arkansas had consistently played SEC schedules (while taking on the likes of Rick Pitino's Kentucky Wildcats, Lon Kruger's Florida Gators). Recall in the 1990s, the SEC had four teams go to the Final4 (Florida, Mississippi St) and two teams winning three NCAA titles: Arkansas(1994, 1995RU), Kentucky(1996, 1997RU, 1998).

I grasp that Mizzou isn’t as accomplished as Louisville. There’s only one team in the entire SEC that’s as accomplished as Louisville is.

But what I and others don’t understand is why you would only count current conference success in a discussion about all time performance. The thread isn’t about how the teams in conferences have performed only in their current conference. It’s about all time.

Without going to far with the research..

1. Kentucky
2. Florida
3. Arkansas
4. LSU
5. Alabama
6. Missouri
7. Vanderbilt
8. Mississippi State
9. Auburn
10. Tennessee
11. South Carolina
12. Texas A&M
13. Georgia
14. Ole Miss

Off the cuff I’d say Tennessee seems too low. But overall that’s pretty good.

I grasp that Mizzou isn’t as accomplished as Louisville. There’s only one team in the entire SEC that’s as accomplished as Louisville is.

But what I and others don’t understand is why you would only count current conference success in a discussion about all time performance. The thread isn’t about how the teams in conferences have performed only in their current conference. It’s about all time.
Honestly, I think OP is trolling Mizzou posters. Either count all CCs for everyone all time, or count no one's.

Not debating any of this.

Interesting to see Cincy #13. I doubt the community thinks of them at this position, but their tradition is good.

In ten years Texas will be top 10 as the real Beard actually wins championships in the postseason, as opposed to bizzaro beard, who's busy making it rain.

That might be too much to ask.
According to DukeDevilz list Texas is in front of programs with NC like Virginia and Maryland historically.

But Texas is top 20 in all time wins. A lot of those schools are tightly group between 10-25.

Their issue is a lot of their success was prior to the NCAA Tournament. Then for about 30 years they didn’t do too much until Tom Penders got there
One of the best things about Beard is having Tom Penders back. I know Tom’s son personally. Coaches basketball here in the Houston area.

Beard has any success at Texas that Texh fanbase will go absolutely nuts.
They just can’t handle it. Been funny watching them attack National Basketball writers. No hype. No BOMC.
Texas is a Top 10 basketball team this upcoming year.

According to DukeDevilz list Texas is in front of programs with NC like Virginia and Maryland historically.

But Texas is top 20 in all time wins. A lot of those schools are tightly group between 10-25.

Their issue is a lot of their success was prior to the NCAA Tournament. Then for about 30 years they didn’t do too much until Tom Penders got there
One of the best things about Beard is having Tom Penders back. I know Tom’s son personally. Coaches basketball here in the Houston area.

They just can’t handle it. Been funny watching them attack National Basketball writers. No hype. No BOMC.
@dukedevilz

You've absolutely sold me on Texas best years are ahead of them. *fingers crossed

Also, @dukedevilz doesn't just include tournament success. It also includes conference success.

I devised my own scoring system for ranking the all-time programs (1939 to present). The most difficult aspect of this algorithm is the conference championships, because not all conferences are equal. It's highly subjective. Still, I feel that it's important to include. Here are teams 26-50 in my rankings.

75-Greatest-Programs1.png

The reason why Texas is ahead of Virginia and Maryland is because of those conference titles (5 points per conference title in a power conference). Texas has 19 conference championships, while UVA and Maryland have 10 and 6, respectively. Most people are quick to recognize that UVA and UMD might be undervalued, and they probably are. When you face off against Duke and Carolina and the rest of the ACC for all of those years, conference ships are hard to come by. Inevitably, that hurts their final ranking.

I'm considering adjusting the scoring for conference titles a little bit. I have thought of additional ways to improve it, but it's going to take a lot of hours because it's not a simple 5 points for conference title; it's way more convoluted. My ranking system isn't perfect, but I believe it's better than anything else you'll find on the web. Matt Norlander ranked the 68 greatest programs of all-time, but not a huge fan of it because NBA draft picks are included in his formula. I feel like that will unnecessarily inflate some scores, as having a talented roster doesn't automatically mean that you're even having a great season.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT