ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Dukies, have you run her off campus yet?

Yes Duke is the topic buts its actually a pretty hilarious take on college basketball as a whole from an outsider.

GFY. Only thing "yikes" worthy here is saying that all Duke students enrolled there for basketball.RollLaugh

I don't think anyone could seriously believe that. The vast majority of Duke students did not pick Duke, or even look at Duke, because of basketball, just like the majority of Michigan students did not go to Michigan because of basketball or the majority of UNC students did not go to UNC because of basketball. College choices are generally centered on a lot more important stuff.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone could seriously belong that. The vast majority of Duke students did not pick Duke, or even look at Duke, because of basketball, just like the majority of Michigan students did not go to Michigan because of basketball or the majority of UNC students did not go to UNC because of basketball. College choices are generally centered on a lot more important stuff.

There was a kid in my HS who was a massive Duke basketball fan in HS, kid was very smart so he got into Duke and it was his first choice. He was a good HS player but nowhere close to D1 caliber, but right after he got to Duke he basically did anything he could to be around the program, eventually became a manager, then became a walkon on the 2010 Championship team (Casey Peters). Needless to say, he picked Duke because of the basketball team.

Reactions: tw3301
There was a kid in my HS who was a massive Duke basketball fan in HS, kid was very smart so he got into Duke and it was his first choice. He was a good HS player but nowhere close to D1 caliber, but right after he got to Duke he basically did anything he could to be around the program, eventually became a manager, then became a walkon on the 2010 Championship team (Casey Peters). Needless to say, he picked Duke because of the basketball team.

Well yeah... as I said, the vast majority of Duke students did not pick Duke because of basketball. Obviously, basketball players do.

Letsgo, it was a silly “outsider” fluff piece meant to get a laugh as someone totally uninitiated in basketball and a bit nerdy dove into the most intense fan experiences around. She made fun of herself, she described things as a clueless outsider, and yes, she called Coach our angry little coach, which is sort of true. It was a mildly entertaining story, especially as both a Duke fan and a Duke grad, who is so used to being SO deep in the fan experience. And hey, a fellow Dukie, and a current student, got a piece in the NYT. Good for her, even if you don’t like the piece.

And for that, you called her dumb, a c-nt, a bitch, miserable, intolerable, rambling, and a douche.

I have no idea who she is, and I am certainly not the one here who is bent out of shape; don’t try to go all “I’m rubber, you’re glue” on me. Your reaction is, simply, way over the top. It’s either some strange anger issue there, or if it is drama queen of all drama queens. Just saying “I don’t think it’s funny or well written” is a better look than that somewhat eye popping tirade. It just is.
It wasn't funny to me, but again it was so bad I couldn't read the entire article either so maybe she turned into Don Rickles near the end and I just missed it. I don't think she's dumb, she got into Duke, and she was smart enough to write an article on a premise that would get it published in the New York Times despite the quality (or lack thereof) of the article. As far as her being a bitch or whatever insult was thrown at her, it's a message board, quit being a pussy.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
Well yeah... as I said, the vast majority of Duke students did not pick Duke because of basketball. Obviously, basketball players do.

I mean he wasnt really a basketball player. He was a typical Duke student who happened to play basketball in HS. I dont think his story is that uncommon with exception to the part of actually joining the team as a non recruited walkon. If you're a fan and the school matches up with your academic profile, then that school will be at the top of your list most likely.

If that was meant to be satirical, then it was pretty terribly done. If she was being serious, then I don't understand why she even went to a game in the first place.

I knew a lot of people in my graduating class who could have cared less about the basketball team. But they certainly weren't trying to post editorials in the NYTimes about it. Seems like someone is simply trying to generate attention for a future career as a terrible writer.

Now you're just being silly. Nobody is angry here. But I guess her calling K a short angry man isn't negative at all.

Is this a person you are fond of? Why are you so bent out of shape over people thinking she is a dumb bitch?
I'm not angry bitch. I'm perfectly fine ****. What are you so bent out of shape ya damned Lesbo?

All because she called a guy who is short and does look angry most of the time short and angry.

I'm not angry bitch. I'm perfectly fine ****. What are you so bent out of shape ya damned Lesbo?

All because she called a guy who is short and does look angry most of the time short and angry.
I only shared my opinion. It doesn't make her any of those things, it just means that it was the impression that I got based on her article. I could be completely wrong, it's whatever.

Now run along to your little safe space where you are protected from opinions that may be insulting or crude.

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

It wasn't funny to me, but again it was so bad I couldn't read the entire article either so maybe she turned into Don Rickles near the end and I just missed it. I don't think she's dumb, she got into Duke, and she was smart enough to write an article on a premise that would get it published in the New York Times despite the quality (or lack thereof) of the article. As far as her being a bitch or whatever insult was thrown at her, it's a message board, quit being a pussy.

First off, go **** yourself.

Second, it doesn't have to be funny to you. Like with all pieces of writing, some people can think it is funny, some people can not like it. But for you to have an issue with ME saying "Jesus, ease up, its a silly article" and NOT have issue with someone throwing out insult after insult... well TW, that says lo lot about you.

What the **** is with this world and the interwebz and any sense of rational thought? The guy who calls some random college girl a dumb obnoxious c_nt douche bitch over a harmless article... that's fine, go ahead!... but me saying "Dude, your reaction is way over the top"... THAT'S the issue.

**** me, this world.

The only safe space required is for Dukies getting bent out shape because someone wrote a humorous article pointing out the absurdities of CBB fans.
giphy.gif

Reactions: treyforuk
The only safe space required is for Dukies getting bent out shape because someone wrote a humorous article pointing out the absurdities of CBB fans.
giphy.gif

Thank you. It's like the original rants gets a pass, but when someone says "Christ, you went way overboard..." THAT'S the issue?

mza2xi9.jpg

Reactions: pig1960
Wait, you thought that article was funny?

tenor.gif
She had me at short angry man...what can I say. I thought it was funny. Obviously she was right about him being treated as a god. You'd think by some of the posts here she should be burnt at the stake as a heretic.

200w.gif

Wait, you thought that article was funny?

Sure, it was sort of funny. Like... a 4 out of 10? 3.5? Harmless fun, and as a pretty dedicated fan I enjoyed it. I generally dig dry humor, and it was CERTAINLY that... note the lengths of the sentences, the simplicity of the sentence construction, the awkward use of basketball phrases, emphasized by the quotation marks... meant to be very simple observational humor. I thought the 2nd person writing worked well; you see 1st and 3rd person all the time, so 2nd person makes it stand out. I actually enjoyed the shots at Duke... the self-important line monitors, the cheer sheets, the greetings... "Ah. This is why people hate us." I, for one, enjoy self-aware commentary. I also like calm, rational, logical humor; for example, I smiled slightly at the "Cameron Reasonable" line, because it seemed like a nerdy thoughtful person take on an overly-emotion turn of phrase.

Hard to explain why something is funny to you or not. But yeah, I, for one, thought it was a perfectly good read that I read while taking a shit. She's not Carlin, but it's about my school, and it was amusing, and I enjoyed it enough. I'd rather read that than a good many other things I could read.

Reactions: KrazyKat

Second, it doesn't have to be funny to you. Like with all pieces of writing, some people can think it is funny, some people can not like it. But for you to have an issue with ME saying "Jesus, ease up, its a silly article" and NOT have issue with someone throwing out insult after insult... well TW, that says lo lot about you.

What the **** is with this world and the interwebz and any sense of rational thought? The guy who calls some random college girl a dumb obnoxious c_nt douche bitch over a harmless article... that's fine, go ahead!... but me saying "Dude, your reaction is way over the top"... THAT'S the issue.

**** me, this world.
This is worthy of a @WojoRising "yikes"

Seriously, you and pig fella need to heed your own advice and relax. It's quite funny to see you two blow a gasket and then pretend that you are being the rational ones.

If my harsh words offended you. I am sorry. But it is my opinion and that's all we are here to do is share opinions. You are way more upset about my words than I am about the miserable ****'s article. That's why it's so funny to see you telling me to chill out.

**** me, this world.
hate to steal from @WojoRising but, Yikes.

pussy.

Seriously, you and pig fella need to heed your own advice and relax. It's quite funny to see you two blow a gasket and then pretend that you are being the rational ones.

If my harsh words offended you. I am sorry. But it is my opinion and that's all we are here to do is share opinions. You are way more upset about my words than I am about the miserable ****'s article. That's why it's so funny to see you telling me to chill out.

Oh man, you are trying that "turn it around on you!" thing again.

Hey man, you do you. I've never reacted to an article like you did. But sure, I am the one who is worked up, as you can tell from my super emotional language, like the first thing I posted... "Wow, some of you really need to lighten up; the article is meant to be dry, is clearly pretty self deprecating, and obviously meant to be a bit tongue in cheek." You, on the other hand, had no emotional reaction, as you can tell from your totally unemotional analysis of the article... the miserable intolerable rambling dumb c_nt bitch thing. So yeah... it's me who is all emotional.

Eyeroll

And no, your words didn't offend me. Why would they? I'm not her, I'm not a woman, I don't know you, I don't know her... they are words on the internet from someone I don't know about someone I don't know that in no way, shape, or form connect to me or anyone I know. There is literally nothing about it that would offend me. It isn't about being offended; its simply about saying "Dude, you went way overboard with your reaction." That's it. What, people cannot respond to other peoples posts now? Why does everyone take things as "OHHH YOU ARE OFFENDED!" Is it just some strange defence mechanism?

Whatever, let's drop it, not worth another moment of anyones thoughts.

Last edited:

My opinion is the more you talk the less comfortable K's dick gets. Just an opinion so don't freak out again.

I mean he wasnt really a basketball player. He was a typical Duke student who happened to play basketball in HS. I dont think his story is that uncommon with exception to the part of actually joining the team as a non recruited walkon. If you're a fan and the school matches up with your academic profile, then that school will be at the top of your list most likely.

Ehhh... if I think about the people I went to Duke with, not one of them chose Duke because of basketball. Some of them loved Duke basketball, but they chose Duke because it's one of the top schools in the world, and they worked their entire life to go to a top school. Maybe they liked Duke as a basketball team, but I don't think that's why they decided to go to Duke.

I think your buddy who played as a walk on is most assuredly not a typical example. I mean... dude, he played at Duke:) Yes... if you play basketball at Duke, even as a walk on, you may have been thinking somewhat primarily about basketball when you decided on Duke. If you are any other Duke student, who was looking for a great engineering program or a top rate English department... probably not as important.

I think most other Duke grads would likely agree.

Last edited:
Sure, it was sort of funny. Like... a 4 out of 10? 3.5?
Agree to disagree. She came across as a stereotype of someone who thinks they're too good to join the hoi polloi on campus and root for our basketball team. I knew plenty of them during my Duke days, and those people were the worst.

Agree to disagree. She came across as a stereotype of someone who thinks they're too good to join the hoi polloi on campus and root for our basketball team. I knew plenty of them during my Duke days, and those people were the worst.

Hm, I didn't know any of those myself. I would think that someone who thinks they are too good wouldn't take so many shots at themselves for being clueless. Agree to disagree, I guess.

Kudos, tho, for hoi polloi. Cannot remember the last time anyone used THAT one on a basketball forum. Go Duke!:)

Hm, I didn't know any of those myself. I would think that someone who thinks they are too good wouldn't take so many shots at themselves for being clueless. Agree to disagree, I guess.
Being self-deprecating isn't always genuine. Can simply be an act in order to appear more genuine/human. Just a thought.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
Being self-deprecating isn't always genuine. Can simply be an act in order to appear more genuine/human. Just a thought.

Of course. I didn't read this one as disingenuine... I thought it came off more as nerdy. I mean... her Duke biology shirt? Poor dear.

Marks a Duke guy. IQ argument might be a dead end;)

Wait, most importantly… Did somebody say she was good looking, and not post a picture? Now I *really* ask what the hell the world is coming too.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
Do you consider yourself short? I only ask, because you're a hair taller than Coach K according to the internet.

A billion.
I consider myself taller than the norm. The internet lies. He's 5'4"...and appears angry on TV. Just an opinion and an unfounded one at that.

Ehhh... if I think about the people I went to Duke with, not one of them chose Duke because of basketball. Some of them loved Duke basketball, but they chose Duke because it's one of the top schools in the world, and they worked their entire life to go to a top school. Maybe they liked Duke as a basketball team, but I don't think that's why they decided to go to Duke.

I think your buddy who played as a walk on is most assuredly not a typical example. I mean... dude, he played at Duke:) Yes... if you play basketball at Duke, even as a walk on, you may have been thinking somewhat primarily about basketball when you decided on Duke. If you are any other Duke student, who was looking for a great engineering program or a top rate English department... probably not as important.

I think most other Duke grads would likely agree.

Not going to dispute since I know little about the world of elite education (Lol, I went to WVU, the bottom 20% of American universities by just about every single objective criteria), but Duke students clearly have options, I would think the typical Duke applicant can also choose from the ivies, Stanford, Georgetown, MIT, etc etc. Can easily seeing a love for Duke basketball factoring into the equation as part of the "University life" aspect of a college decision. But again, school's like Duke were never a school I considered or any of my closer friends, so just my thoughts, if Im wrong so be it.

Reactions: tw3301
Not going to dispute since I know little about the world of elite education (Lol, I went to WVU, the bottom 20% of American universities by just about every single objective criteria), but Duke students clearly have options, I would think the typical Duke applicant can also choose from the ivies, Stanford, Georgetown, MIT, etc etc. Can easily seeing a love for Duke basketball factoring into the equation as part of the "University life" aspect of a college decision. But again, school's like Duke were never a school I considered or any of my closer friends, so just my thoughts, if Im wrong so be it.

Sure, I get what you are saying, and you are right in some way, for sure. I think I was reading what you were saying as that people go to Duke because of basketball, I’m thinking you meant primarily because of basketball… I meant just that there are many issues and factors at work. But as part of campus life and all that, sure.

And there are very smart people at every university in the country, and a lot of smart people didn’t even go to university :)

Last edited:
Reactions: xWVU2010x
ADVERTISEMENT