ADVERTISEMENT

Hey all… looking for some folks to test a basketball card game!

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
Hey, basketball fans!

I’ve been making games for years, and am currently developing (with some help from one of the head designers of the video game Halo) a commercial two player “deck building” card game that perfectly simulates an actual basketball game. It is SIMPLE, plays quickly, and is perfect for playing with family, for playing with friends, or for playing with buddies… for game nights, for during halftime while watching a game, or for during down time during your fantasy draft!

I’ve got some playtesters who have game playtesting experience, and feedback so far is great; when players jump up and down and shout and high five during a card game, you know that you are on the right path!

But right now I am looking for some more who are specifically BASKETBALL fans, so I thought I would drop in to see if anyone here is interested! I’d love to hear feedback, listen to ideas, and get some suggestions.

If anyone is interested, please reach out at hello@hardwoodduel.com I am also happy to discuss here.

Thanks, all! Hope everyone is well:)

Last edited:
VeneratedImpracticalEstuarinecrocodile-size_restricted.gif

Is it a card game like Uno or Exploding Kittens? Or is it a card game like Magic The Gathering?

I’m definitely intrigued and would be interested in learning more.

Is it a card game like Uno or Exploding Kittens? Or is it a card game like Magic The Gathering?

I’m definitely intrigued and would be interested in learning more.

Hey Nole!

Hm, I think it is more like Magic, although I’ve never played that. It is a deck building game. Basically you start with a small deck of basic basketball moves (jump shot, layup, dunk, rebound) and some crowd cheering cards and a coaching card… then you pick who your star player should be and take THEIR starter cards, and that makes up your starting team. Then you take five cards from this starting deck and play them against your opponents five cards, and go on until the end of the game, adding better and better cards to your deck as you go on, using the crowds applause to ”buy” great shots and perfect coaching strategies and so on. The game takes maybe 20-30 minutes to play. It’s pretty simple, but honestly it’s turned out a lot of fun... just yesterday had a game against my son that literally came down to the very last card of the last hand… he went for a jumpshot to tie the game and send it to OT, and I managed to block it and preserve the win.

Anyway, if you are interested, lemme know, or just email me at hello@hardwoodduel.com :)

Last edited:
Hey Nole!

Hm, I think it is more like Magic, although I’ve never played that. It is a deck building game. Basically you start with a small deck of basic basketball moves (jump shot, layup, dunk, rebound) and some crowd cheering cards and a coaching card… then you pick who your star player should be and take THEIR starter cards, and that makes up your starting team. Then you take five cards from this starting deck and play them against your opponents five cards, and go on until the end of the game, adding better and better cards to your deck as you go on, using the crowds applause to ”buy” great shots and perfect coaching strategies and so on. The game takes maybe 20-30 minutes to play. It’s pretty simple, but honestly it’s turned out a lot of fun... just yesterday had a game against my son that literally came down to the very last card of the last hand… he went for a jumpshot to tie the game and send it to OT, and I managed to block it and preserve the win.

Anyway, if you are interested, lemme know, or just email me at hello@hardwoodduel.com :)

I’ll only play if there are “take foul” cards included in the game. Also flopping if I’m playing as Duke.

Hey Nole!

I’m interested for sure. Sounds fun.

Hey, basketball fans!

I’ve been making games for years, and am currently developing (with some help from one of the head designers of the video game Halo) a commercial two player “deck building” card game that perfectly simulates an actual basketball game. It is SIMPLE, plays quickly, and is perfect for playing with family, for playing with friends, or for playing with buddies… for game nights, for during halftime while watching a game, or for during down time during your fantasy draft!

I’ve got some playtesters who have game playtesting experience, and feedback so far is great; when players jump up and down and shout and high five during a card game, you know that you are on the right path!

But right now I am looking for some more who are specifically BASKETBALL fans, so I thought I would drop in to see if anyone here is interested! I’d love to hear feedback, listen to ideas, and get some suggestions.

If anyone is interested, please reach out at hello@hardwoodduel.com I am also happy to discuss here.

Thanks, all! Hope everyone is well:)

I like board games and I like basketball. l’d try it.

I’ll only play if there are “take foul” cards included in the game. Also flopping if I’m playing as Duke.

Hah! There IS A draw foul card you can get!:)

IMG-3907.jpg

You do get a star player for your team… I have, for guards, a High IQ PG, a Defensive PG, and a High Scoring SG… you want me to add “Scrappy White PG” so it really feels like Duke:)

Anyway, yeah, if you guys are interested in getting involved just shoot me an email so I can email you the information… hello@hardwoodduel.com My son made my poor wife play against him today, and while she hates games she did nod at the end and say “Yeah, it really FELT like basketball…”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: I am stupid
I'd rank it as just popular. But I didn't go to Duke.

Not sure going or not going to Duke impacts one’s ability to rank games?:). I’ve never played Catan, but isn’t it a top five/top ten ”board” game? I admit, I am not well versed in the world of board games:)

Have you got many responses?

You put a bit of work into it. Has it taken off.

It sounds a little fun.

Right now just grabbing testers, but that’s not that easy!:). Got seven or eight people in the testing group, and a few others who aren’t on Facebook but who are playing.

I think it is fun, and so far everyone who has played it has been impressed most of all by the FEEL… it really does capture that feeling and flow of a game of basketball, if that makes sense? I’ve made a lot of games over the years, and most never really come together, but this one is shockingly smooth. I could feel that it was going well because each time I layered in a new element, it just… fit. It’s definitely not some deep, multi hour game… it’s more of a fun, simple, 20-30 minute thing, but that’s sort of what I’m going for? Like, something you could play at halftime watching a game on tv:). But what’s worked out is that it is SUPER simple, yet there is some serious thought and strategy that goes into it. I hope it finds an audience, but it is hard… it’s not really suited for hard core gamers, but is aimed more at sports fans… like, it would be perfect to play if you are doing a fantasy draft and have dead time between picks. But how do you convince sports fans to try it? I dunno.

And if any gamers here with kids or a spouse or buddy want to jump in, Id welcome it!:). Just shoot me an email… hello@hardwoodduel.com :) Lurk, if you game a little, would love to have you!:)

Not sure going or not going to Duke impacts one’s ability to rank games?:). I’ve never played Catan, but isn’t it a top five/top ten ”board” game? I admit, I am not well versed in the world of board games:)

Something tells me that Catan attracts a different type of person than your casual Monopoly player.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT