ADVERTISEMENT

Hey ACC Fans and more specifically UNC fans

Team is embarrassing. Offense is designed to create shots for people who can't shoot. They can't even make FTs. Sure, they fouled Love at the end but he would have missed them anyway.

On defense if you run a basic middle school ball screen you get whatever mismatch you want. Capel just embarrassed Hubert for the third straight time.

Reactions: PA_Panther
I don’t know why or what was going on with UNC with that final inbounds with 3.1 seconds left or whatever. You are always better off taking the timeout prior to inbounds than after in that situation.

The only time you do it after is you can get a long pass to about the 35 foot area of the court on the opponents side.

So many things wrong with how UNC handled it but I’ll take it. With 3.1 seconds you have time to catch and bust ass for 3-4 dribbles and shoot, not take a TO

I don’t know why or what was going on with UNC with that final inbounds with 3.1 seconds left or whatever. You are always better off taking the timeout prior to inbounds than after in that situation.

The only time you do it after is you can get a long pass to about the 35 foot area of the court on the opponents side.

So many things wrong with how UNC handled it but I’ll take it. With 3.1 seconds you have time to catch and bust ass for 3-4 dribbles and shoot, not take a TO

Just incompetent. Just like the plays out of TOs. One was a Leaky three and the other a turnover. Just coaching incompetence or players not listening. Not sure which.

This Pitt team is pretty good. They definitely got some alphas on that squad. It’s just so hard for me to tell whether Pitt has any staying power relying so heavily on these transfers. So much pressure on them to consistently hit in the portal and the dynamics to work out.

Pitt fouls a lot and is physical but I thought UNC matched that for the most part. That last foul on RJ could maybe have been called a push on Burton first but when you have that mismatch in size that is going that way every time. That's why you have Leaky on him and you figure out how to keep him there. But our staff can't do that.

Capel being all up in his feelings for no reason. He is mad at this Tweet apparently.

It's irony of the highest order listening to UNC fans whine about the officiating after a loss. In this game, they "only" got twice the amount of free throw attempts as Pitt, so I suppose it's human nature for them to feel they were robbed.

It's irony of the highest order listening to UNC fans whine about the officiating after a loss. In this game, they "only" got twice the amount of free throw attempts as Pitt, so I suppose it's human nature for them to feel they were robbed.
To he fair, Pitt only committed 4x as many fouls as UNC also. How good refereeing isn't determined by how many free throws you got. A team that fouls more should have more fouls called on it. It's not supposed to be even unless both teams foul the same.

The one Cummings 3, RJ Davis got moving screened all the way into the paint. Lol.

To he fair, Pitt only committed 4x as many fouls as UNC also. How good refereeing isn't determined by how many free throws you got. A team that fouls more should have more fouls called on it. It's not supposed to be even unless both teams foul the same.

The one Cummings 3, RJ Davis got moving screened all the way into the paint. Lol.
LMAO AT MOVING SCREENED to the paint… Davis and Bacot didn’t communicate at all and switched on defense

That's looking like a moving screen. He tried to go under it but couldn't because the player blocked his path below the screen. He set his screen too far away so it was easy to avoid it going under, and when he realized it, he moved into the lane blocking off any path RJ had at going under it. So they just tried to switch but bacot was out of position because they weren't supposed to switch that.

The third one the screener is in better position, rj runs into him, tries to go under it and the screener moves forward in his way bumping him off the under path causing him to be late.

But, UNC was destroyed on screens all night from my rewatch.

That's looking like a moving screen. He tried to go under it but couldn't because the player blocked his path below the screen. He set his screen too far away so it was easy to avoid it going under, and when he realized it, he moved into the lane blocking off any path RJ had at going under it. So they just tried to switch but bacot was out of position because they weren't supposed to switch that.

The third one the screener is in better position, rj runs into him, tries to go under it and the screener moves forward in his way bumping him off the under path causing him to be late.

But, UNC was destroyed on screens all night from my rewatch.

Yet, I'm sure you're perfectly okay with the moving screen by Leaky Black in the Final Four.

Pitt has won 5 of their last 6 games against Carolina, including the last 3 at the Dean Dome. Not bad.

Reactions: bschulter
I don't care about moving screens. They don't call them. Bacot does it all the time. Officials were good in this game. They let both teams beat on each other down low and were consistent about it.

UNC lost because they, again for the 20th time this year, don't know how to play ball screens. They just give the other team whatever they want. They also lost because one coach knew how to draw up effective plays out of a TO and the other didn't. That was crucial late.

I don't care about moving screens. They don't call them.
Actually they do call them, randomly. Which might be why it's discussed.

But I am with you I don't care about moving screens either, unless they knock a guy's teeth out. Even then, play on!

Pitt playing like a throwback, you like to see it. Some dudes and such. Shot makers, shot takers, etc.

Good fans, met quite a few over the years. Let's see how they do in March.

Reactions: bschulter
I don't care about moving screens. They don't call them. Bacot does it all the time. Officials were good in this game. They let both teams beat on each other down low and were consistent about it.

Moving screens are called, but it's baffling on how refs enforce them, as far as consistency is concerned. So, expecting a ref to call a moving screen is setting yourself up for disappointment. It's clearly the most missed call in college basketball.

Actually they do call them, randomly. Which might be why it's discussed.

But I am with you I don't care about moving screens either, unless they knock a guy's teeth out. Even then, play on!

Moving screens are called, but it's baffling on how refs enforce them, as far as consistency is concerned. So, expecting a ref to call a moving screen is setting yourself up for disappointment. It's clearly the most missed call in college basketball.

Yeah, that's what I mean. If you look at moving screens versus the ones they actually call they don't call them. They happen all the time and randomly they will call one almost like it's checking a box. So to me there is no point worrying about them.

Reactions: dukedevilz
See Tweet above about trolling his brother. No one was trolling Capel. The arrogance to think some random 20 year old running a social media account knows who you are and also remembers your number (I didn't) is absurd. They use walk-ons for these promos sometimes, which a simple search will tell you. Plus, Lebo is from the area. It's so silly on Jason's part.

One thing that I always thought was kind of cool happened to Jason Capel in his last collegiate game, which was against Duke in the 2002 ACC Tournament. Can't remember if he fouled out, or if Doherty simply wanted to take him out to let the Carolina faithful show respect towards his career. Regardless, before he could even get to the sidelines, K called Capel over and congratulated him on his career. Obviously K has/had a tremendous amount of respect for the Capel family.

... Capel getting upset about the tweet, though, is a bit weird. Sounds like his feelings had already been hurt by Carolina folks from prior incidents, so maybe he thought the same kind of people were at it again (trolling types). Still, why take offense if it's not explicitly targeting you?

When OU played UNC in the E8 a long time ago Jason rooted for his brother who was coaching OU. That probably triggered all this, there was probably some pushback on that, because fans are dumb everywhere.

When OU played UNC in the E8 a long time ago Jason rooted for his brother who was coaching OU. That probably triggered all this, there was probably some pushback on that, because fans are dumb everywhere.

Probably, and honestly if you are going to be petty then it's silly to take issues with fans being petty as well.

This Pitt team is pretty good. They definitely got some alphas on that squad. It’s just so hard for me to tell whether Pitt has any staying power relying so heavily on these transfers. So much pressure on them to consistently hit in the portal and the dynamics to work out.

Thought about this, too. A lot of seniors on the team. Could be a rough year in 2024 if most those guys leave.
@HailToPitt725 @PA_Panther how do feel about your chances of retaining some of your seniors? Don't know the status of who's eligible for a 5th year.

What's your hopeful top 5-6 players for next year?

UNC lost because they, again for the 20th time this year, don't know how to play ball screens. They just give the other team whatever they want. They also lost because one coach knew how to draw up effective plays out of a TO and the other didn't. That was crucial late.
If you replaced UNC with UK in your last paragraph you would be equally as accurate. In fact , I would bet UNC is superior in both aspects.

Probably, and honestly if you are going to be petty then it's silly to take issues with fans being petty as well.
Agreed. These players are worshipped for their entire lives in most circles. When they find some push back it's so abnormal to 'em they don't know how to respond.

I don't know how petty any of the exchanges were. Who knows what he was called or what was said to him exactly and by who and how many. Do you know? I do not. But he's now in a position of some kinda authority so he should probably take the high road. But we got dudes throwing hands in the handshake line it's just a new era anything goes.

Maybe they will hug it out when the smoke clears.

There's former players from all over that don't have that good relationship with the fans. Maybe this isn't really all that extraordinary but social media doesn't miss a thing.

Thought about this, too. A lot of seniors on the team. Could be a rough year in 2024 if most those guys leave.
@HailToPitt725 @PA_Panther how do feel about your chances of retaining some of your seniors? Don't know the status of who's eligible for a 5th year.

What's your hopeful top 5-6 players for next year?
Next year we should have back, Federiko and Hinson from the starting lineup. I think the two twins from Spain are going to be really, really good after a year in the weight room.

Dior Johnson the 5star guy will probably run point . I have no clue what is going to happen with John Hugley who was the leading scorer last year. He left the team this year with some mental health issues.

Factor in a top 25 recruiting class with some really talented guys I think there is enough to fill the gaps.

With the portal though who really knows! Capel is having some serious success with it and will be an easy sell to other transfers. Capel has some good NIL money to work with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT