ADVERTISEMENT

Here's what's wrong with college athletics today.

Gonns have coaches in the hot seat quicker. No reason (for 900k )for almost anyone coulda had a better PG.

HOF status with coaches are probably gone as well.
For a bit probably. Until they lower the standards in about 20 years because no one knew has gotten in. The other thing is that coaches really just only have to be a power 5 coach for just 3-4 years now and get a buyout and be set for life. Regardless if they are terrible at the power conference level

Coaches leave for better financial opportunities all the time. I don't get why people feel like players should be any different.
The only thing I would say is that the coaches have multi year contracts with buyouts and everything else as protection for the school and coaches.

The only thing I would say is that the coaches have multi year contracts with buyouts and everything else as protection for the school and coaches.

That's true. The schools also aren't paying the players directly. It's being done through the donors/boosters

Reactions: KisteK
That's true. The schools also aren't paying the players directly. It's being done through the donors/boosters
I think some changes will me made with it eventually. What’s happening now isn’t sustainable IMO. Although I agree with the players legally being able to make money

I think some changes will me made with it eventually. What’s happening now isn’t sustainable IMO. Although I agree with the players legally being able to make money

I believe some donors are offering deals well above market value right now. But that's not surprising given that this is a new concept. It will self adjust.

I believe some donors are offering deals well above market value right now. But that's not surprising given that this is a new concept. It will self adjust.
I would say it being legal to give money is a new concept. However boosters giving money to recruits and players is not. That’s happen forever. Honestly the transfer thing and players being directly recruited off of other teams rosters is a bigger issue than them getting paid now. Transfer thing is exasperating the issue with pay

Well, that and.......of course this was back in the day, but............coaches were viewed as trained professionals at their trade/skill, while the players were still viewed as "students" learning a trade and thus did not qualify as being deemed worthy of paid professional status. Just sayin........

Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, the coaches lost their power and somehow it became less about teaching the students to become "potential" professionals (as not all even become professionals in said trade), and more about "servicing their every beck and need, OR ELSE".....................

So yes, NIL and the transfer portal is mostly what's wrong with college athletics today, at least in its current ungoverned form.

Reactions: HawksJ
Well, that and.......of course this was back in the day, but............coaches were viewed as trained professionals at their trade/skill, while the players were still viewed as "students" learning a trade and thus did not qualify as being deemed worthy of paid professional status. Just sayin........
This feels very 1950’s. The argument that coaches can behave in a fly-by-night, self-serving manner because they’re the mature adults seems pretty backward.

To the other point, that’s exactly why NIL is a thing - because a lot of players are deemed worthy of a professional status considering they’re the ones that drive interest, and money, into the program. As much as we make these coaches into big names, nobody is tuning in to watch Coach K coach his grandson and Nick Horvath. The sport is player driven, so by your argument of rewarding the valuable assets, it seems you should agree with NIL.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, the coaches lost their power and somehow it became less about teaching the students to become "potential" professionals (as not all even become professionals in said trade), and more about "servicing their every beck and need, OR ELSE".....................

So yes, NIL and the transfer portal is mostly what's wrong with college athletics today, at least in its current ungoverned form.
Why are college coaches considered train professionals? Shouldn’t they work for free because they’re learning how to potentially become professional coaches?

Bc then HS coaches would have chalk their up too then wed like 30 head paid basketball coaches in the country.

Boohooo coaching basketball for milions is tough.

But ur right imo this isnt a coincidence

As a fan of the school that had no shot in the bidding war, if this becomes a regular occurrence, my interest in the sport will dip dramatically. I'm already becoming disenfranchised.
Why did Purdue have no shot? Purdue university has more money than Miami

Why did Purdue have no shot? Purdue university has more money than Miami
Purdue is a very conservative institution. The administration just isn't wired to push alums to act in this manner and many of our most wealthy alums aren't huge sports fans. It's always been a challenge for Purdue to fundraise for athletics vis a vis it's peers. Purdue has the smallest athletic department in the Big Ten with the fewest sports so we don't have as many athletic alumni to push either.

Obviously I'd love if Drew Brees ponied up $10MM to buy some recruits but I don't see it happening.

Purdue is a very conservative institution. The administration just isn't wired to push alums to act in this manner and many of our most wealthy alums aren't huge sports fans. It's always been a challenge for Purdue to fundraise for athletics vis a vis it's peers. Purdue has the smallest athletic department in the Big Ten with the fewest sports so we don't have as many athletic alumni to push either.

Obviously I'd love if Drew Brees ponied up $10MM to buy some recruits but I don't see it happening.
I mean your president is a politician. If anyone could get funds raised for it Mitch can

As a fan of the school that had no shot in the bidding war, if this becomes a regular occurrence, my interest in the sport will dip dramatically. I'm already becoming disenfranchised.
Right?

Heard a good quote earlier today.

When you lose because the other team just out-recruited you and prepared better, you can't do anything but tip your cap.

When you lose because the other team bought better players, that's when it's time to walk away.

ADVERTISEMENT