Herbstreit still upset about UGA not getting in. Says politics played key role.

Discussion in 'College Football Soundoff' started by Ronin26, Dec 6, 2018 at 9:44 AM.

1. Ronin26

Ronin26 Well-Known Member
    Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

Kirk Herbstreit: Politics overruled Georgia in CFB Playoff
    • by Brad Crawford
    • 23 hours ago

Nearly three days after the College Football Playoff selection committee's final four reveal, College GameDay analyst Kirk Herbst

Herbstreit voiced his displeasure during Tuesday's appearance on The Paul Finebaum Show with a long-winded answer as to why the Bulldogs were left out.

In summation? Politics played a primary role in Georgia finishing at No. 5, behind Big 12 Conference champion Oklahoma and ahead of Ohio State.

“For the first four years of this I’ve always defended the committee," Herbstreit said Tuesday. "They’ve taken some criticism from some people who didn’t understand what they did. I loved that they were willing to go against the grain the first year in 2014 when Ohio State won 59-0 (against Wisconsin in the Big Ten title game) with a third string quarterback and they bumped Ohio State two spots over both Baylor and TCU and put them into the top four, and they went on to win the national championship.

“In 2016, Ohio State again was in the crosshairs, they lost to Penn State head to head and didn’t even go to Indianapolis and yet they thought Ohio State was a better team they put them into the playoffs that year. Last year, Alabama didn’t make it to Atlanta. They lost in the Iron Bowl, but at the end of the day, they felt Alabama was still a better team, so they put them in using the metrics and their own eyes to say Bama was still a better team, and Bama went on to the national title.

“So we came into this year with that as our backdrop and I bragged on this committee because their willingness to not be like the old school AP voter, or a Coaches’ Poll and we got into this year and I felt for the last five for six weeks that this Georgia team — and I didn’t go to Georgia, I’m not from the SEC — do you know who I’m loyal to? College football. Not the Big Ten, not Ohio State, not Georgia, when it comes to my job, I’m loyal and have a passion to college football and I want to see the four best teams get their chance, because that’s what’s right and that’s what’s fair."

Georgia's double-digit road loss to LSU and falling on the final weekend was ultimately the committee's reasoning for keeping the Bulldogs out.

Herbstreit wasn't a fan of that.

“Now, it’s subjective, everyone is entitled to who they think is the best. I’m not pushing for an agenda. I'm not pushing for Ohio State to make it as a fan," Herbstreit said. "I’m pushing for what’s right and what’s right is how can you watch Georgia be No. 4 and then go out and play the No. 1-ranked team, and not only hang around with them, but control them for much of the game until Jalen Hurts decides to write a Hollywood script and come back and knock off Georgia.

“And now we’re supposed to say Georgia, for that performance, you went from No. 4, you’re going backwards? To me, if anything, they should have gone up to No. 3, not backwards to No. 5. It’s the first time the committee let the politics of the conferences, the Power 5 conferences and their commissioners, and having to face them, they finally let them affect doing the right thing."

Herbstreit pointed to Notre Dame's lack of quality wins as a reason the Irish shouldn't have been viewed as favorably as it was on the final day.

ugafish likes this.
  2. ivan brunetti

ivan brunetti Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The best team doesn't always win. But at some point, wins and losses have to matter.

OU had the better record, the better loss (compared to LSU), and was a conference champion. Many years, the final number one team, the NC, is arguably not the "best" team.

Georgia may well be one of the four best teams. But that doesn't mean they deserve to be in the playoff.

3. Ronin26

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely agree, losses have to matter. If we start rewarding losses than wtf are we doing playing the games?

4. iliketrafficlights

iliketrafficlights Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

He works for ESPN and so does Finebaum. ESPN is fully committed financially to the SEC. He's a liar when he talks about his loyalties. Additionally, no one gives a **** what Kirk Herbstreit thinks.

5. Corby1233

Corby1233 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

What, again, were Georgia’s quality wins? All I know is that they played 3 big boys and went 1/3 in those games, getting walloped in one of them. GTFOH Herbstreit.

5 Corby1233, Dec 6, 2018 at 9:51 AM
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 8:09 AM
  6. iliketrafficlights

Expand Collapse

I'm struggling as to why the nation needs to see Georgia shit away a lead and lose to Alabama a third time. Like do you not get it after seeing it twice?

7. Ronin26

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree with everything you say especially the bold.

8. Ronin26

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

The only good thing that possibly could've come from doing what Herby said is that expansion would be right around the corner. Still though, his position is dumb as hell.

WapitiHorn, dtgold88 and SIhoosier26 like this.
  9. mbd11

mbd11 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Joel Klatt feels the opposite, and said he would've been beside himself if Georgia had gotten in. I agree with him. The SEC didn't deserve 2 teams this year, when there was a very deserving 12-1 Oklahoma team available. Georgia had their chance in the SEC CG.

10. HOUNDZTOOTH1

HOUNDZTOOTH1 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Who was the third big boy?

1831 and Corby1233 like this.
  11. Ronin26

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

Yup

12. Rod Dangerfield

Rod Dangerfield Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

UGa is hands down one of the best 4 in the land. Tillman or Oklahoma shouldn't have been in.

13. Ronin26

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

They may be one of the best 4, they had their chance and lost it. Twice!

WapitiHorn, RedR8der4Life and buckpr like this.
  14. leatherhemet

leatherhemet Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

1-3? Check your math. They lost to #1 and undefeated Bama and to a very good LSU team in the most hostile environment there is. OU still should be in over them but let's be real. Although I personally think the big12 is a bit of a joke right now.

14 leatherhemet, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:04 AM
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 10:09 AM
    ceilo77, tiger3232 and Jennerpeach41 like this.
  15. HOUNDZTOOTH1

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Oklahoma beating everyone on their schedule put them way over the hump in my opinion. UGA losing 2 games was their death nail.

16. rawbdawg

rawbdawg Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Until ND plays a conference championship they should be out.

17. Wareo

Wareo Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

They went 2-2 vs the 4 good teams they played and one was a blow out loss. I think UGA played a perfect half in the first of the SECCG, but completely fell apart in the second half. Yea they may have had a better schedule than Notre Dame, but Notre Dame won all of their games. If they had put UGA in instead of OU or ND, things would have melted down.

fsu1jreed, dtgold88 and Corby1233 like this.
  18. HOUNDZTOOTH1

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Eh, they don’t schedule a FCS gimme game so in a way I’m fine with it.

19. BamaNole22

BamaNole22 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

So he thinks the best four teams get in, regardless of results on the field. Thankfully the committee decided that the regular season mattered. That’s what makes college football unique over every other sport.

20. iliketrafficlights

Expand Collapse

Doesn't work as an argument when the committee takes OSU in 2016 without a conference championship game and Alabama in 2017. Here's the difference between those situations and the ND situation. Those teams didn't play in a conference championship game because they failed to earn that game. ND didn't play in one because they are ineligible to compete in one.

Will you Georgia fans ever learn? Braves, Hawks, Falcons, Bulldogs. The team from Georgia always shits the bed in the biggest of spots. It's innate to your identity just like your history of being a penal colony.

WapitiHorn, SIhoosier26 and Corby1233 like this.
  21. CaptainKnots

CaptainKnots Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

True! UGA’s OOC schedule was Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee State and UMass. That’s three practice games. With a schedule like that it’s hard to complain about Conference Championship games.

22. BucksLAN

BucksLAN Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Fox >>>> ESPN

I've always felt fox is pretty non bias in regards to the whole landscape of college football. ESPN however just non stop promotes anything and everything SEC. And anyone outside of the south can see it.

23. Ronin26

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

I feel like he's taking this position due to ESPN alliance with SEC, because I doubt he'd be saying this if the roles were reversed and it was tOSU, OU or ND in the same situation as UGA. But if we did it according to his stance than the NC needs to be given to the best recruiting class on signing day.

WapitiHorn and RedR8der4Life like this.
  24. HOUNDZTOOTH1

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I’ve never been on the auto bid for Conference Champions bandwagon. For too many years I watched Alabama play teams in the SECCG that had absolutely no shot of beating them. I didn’t learn a single thing new about how good Alabama was that I didn’t know before those games were played.

25. BTSBuckeye

BTSBuckeye Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Of course he wouldn't say it about other teams. See 2015. ESPN thought Ohio State losing on a last second FG to eventual B1G champion MSU was more than enough reason to keep them out of the playoff.

26. CaptainKnots

Expand Collapse

With UGA’s two losses, one being a blowout, why are people so stuck on them being one of the top 4 no question? They played Alabama tough, but that was expected. I just don’t see the reasoning to why they are definitely a top 4 team.

WapitiHorn and dtgold88 like this.
  27. Zgeo

Zgeo Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Kirk talking about the SEC is like CNN talking about Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, facts and common sense are totally ignored so that the required narrative may be promoted....

28. Ronin26

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

Agreed, they MAY be a top 4 team but they lost their chance by losing 2 games, one by a large margin no less.

DrCorona likes this.
  29. CardX

CardX Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Notre Dame's lack of quality wins? They beat 4 ranked teams, and a pretty darn good NW team.

Duckdude73 likes this.
  30. CaptainKnots

Expand Collapse

And that’s what I’ve been saying. They could be a top 4 team, but so could tOSU, UCF, etc. Because obviously the opinion of top 4 argument is not necessarily on field results, but their potential, or so it seems.

31. CaptainKnots

Expand Collapse

And not one FCS team.

32. leatherhemet

Expand Collapse

Was your beef against Bama getting in that year or Oklahoma?

33. BTSBuckeye

BTSBuckeye Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

My beef is with the reason and forgone conclusion as to why Ohio State didn't deserve a spot, only to see that reason ignored in later years.

34. Corby1233

Corby1233 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

^ does not understand that a team that has NOT played in a conf champ game has gotten in each of the past 4 years. Can’t believe we’re still arguing conf championship games

35. viviajm

viviajm Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

One thing I have not heard mentioned in this who argument is that both OU and OSU were one loss teams and that if GA as a two loss team got in this precedent would have had far reaching ramifications of taking the debate down to other 2 loss teams which will really cause chaos.

fsu1jreed, Ronin26 and Corby1233 like this.
  36. CaptainKnots

Expand Collapse

And that’s the SEC bias that a lot of people see that even with two losses many “experts” still thought UGA should be included, and is the reason we see posts like these where people are upset they weren’t.

37. SIhoosier26

SIhoosier26 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

We've been over this ad nauseam on this board but an undefeated Notre Dame isn't getting left out. As long as that's the case there is 0 reason for them to join a conference.

buckpr and iliketrafficlights like this.
  38. leatherhemet

Expand Collapse

What happened in those later years? Sincere question, I can't recall how they went down.

39. CaptainKnots

Expand Collapse

The only way they get left out is if one year we end up having 4 undefeated conference champions, or a 1 loss SEC champion in the mix

SIhoosier26 likes this.
  40. SIhoosier26

SIhoosier26 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

The crazy thing about his viewpoint is that he wants to put Georgia in just because they didn't get blown out. Think about that for a second.

Who else outside of an SEC team would even get close to that kind of treatment from ESPN?